Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
To differentiate we can call the new EU the NEU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

UmOk posted:

No. That was DANtooine. You idiot, you loving moron.

Relax man you got a worse temper than Grandma Tarken!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

Relax man you got a worse temper than Grandma Tarken!

If you knew anything about Stur Wars then you would know that Tarkins Grandmothma died giving birth to Tarkins mother.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

viral spiral posted:

I hope Disney does a remake of the prequels. Vader's descent into madness deserves a better dramatic cinema experience.

Like, have the same actor for Anakin in all three films, and don't make him an awkward weirdo who gets nervous around hot girls this time, either.

We need a Darth Vader who fucks.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

TFA says that the capital of the Republic, previously established as Coruscant, is located in 'The Hosnian System'.

Hosnia is therefore implicitly the name of the star that Coruscant orbits. (In real life, Earth is located in The Solar System. Because it orbits Sol).

The EU retcons the film with a convoluted story. It claims that there are multiple Republic capitals that all look the same, so what we saw was actually a clone of Coruscant and the real Coruscant survived. The EU also claims that Hosnia is not a star at all, but actually multiple planets that are called Hosnia. (Hosnia 1, Hosnia 2, etc.) This EU stuff sounds suspiciously like a 9/11 conspiracy theory.

Star Wars star systems have a convention of where system and (most important?) planet are interchangeable (Hoth System, Alderaan System). I don't think this is ever violated but I haven't seen the prequels in years.

Edit: I don't see why we can't just be direct here. TFA is a "soft" or "canonical" reboot whereby it's literally within the continuity of the prior films but is aesthetically a recapitulation or at most remix. Rey is gender swapped Luke, Snoke is Palpatine, Kylo is Anakin/Vader, Han is Han, Hosnia is Coruscant.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 11, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Hosnian is the capital of the Republic but it isn't the home of the defunct Jedi Order. It's only half of Coruscant, but the other half isn't relevant to that particular film.

Right the Jedi half got moved to a lonely island on a plant with no modern buildings which is interesting symbolic change to show how the Jedi order has changed

Coruscant was destroyed but the Jedi temple survived and moved to an lonely ocean island planet which shows how the Jedi went from being an urban and urbane order of warrior monks in the corrupt heart of the universe to a isolated island order of ruins and a crazy old monk. Somewhat similar to the original trilogy showing the Jedi order being a lonely old man in the desert and a lonely old man in the jungle .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neo Rasa posted:

To differentiate we can call the new EU the NEU.

Or you can just call it Canon. All the books and comics and whatnot coming out under Disney is equal to the films.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Right the Jedi half got moved to a lonely island on a plant with no modern buildings which is interesting symbolic change to show how the Jedi order has changed

Coruscant was destroyed but the Jedi temple survived and moved to an lonely ocean island planet which shows how the Jedi went from being an urban and urbane order of warrior monks in the corrupt heart of the universe to a isolated island order of ruins and a crazy old monk. Somewhat similar to the original trilogy showing the Jedi order being a lonely old man in the desert and a lonely old man in the jungle .

The island is apparently the original Jedi temple site, so it's a less a change and more a drastic reversion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Awkward guy says something awkward around pretty girl.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

The island is apparently the original Jedi temple site, so it's a less a change and more a drastic reversion.

?? I don't know what you mean

Specifically what you mean after the comma.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

:lol:

Do any of the Transformers films even have dialogue this bad?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First movie the Jedi are centered on a desert ascetic

Next two the Jedi are centered in a jungle ascetic

Then for the next three they are centered in a city pyramid literally above the clouds talking to each other through spirit vision

So it's cool that in he 7th movie the go back to asceticism , this time in the ocean . A lonely island. Or maybe it was a small archipelago

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

Can you elaborate on what is bad about it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

viral spiral posted:

TF 4 brought the movie to the halt with a brief defense of Romeo and Juliet laws.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Davros1 posted:

TF 4 brought the movie to the halt with a brief defense of Romeo and Juliet laws.

Yeah that was insane

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Broadly speaking, Star Wars characters who were written by George Lucas tend to have very similar voices and deliver lines that bluntly describe their emotional state and comment directly on the themes of the film. It's not naturalistic at all, whereas most contemporary films do attempt a degree of naturalism and attempt to give characters distinct voices. This characteristic is shared by the scripts of all six of the ones he did, give or take some ad-libbing on the part of the actors.

Lucas himself will admit that dialog is not his strong suit. My impression is that he adds and refines dialog only as far as is necessary to introduce ideas that would be challenging or impossible to propose solely through visuals, and stops there, whereas most other screenwriters would add more color and wit.

The scene in question, in addition to the above, does not flatter Anakin. It emphasizes his emotional vulnerability and his romantic outlook. It also very succinctly establishes that he projects everything good onto Padme, setting the conditions for his later possessiveness. And on top of that it ties into the desert/ocean duality that's all over the film's imagery. It is the awkward and embarrassing beginning to their incredibly hosed-up relationship, and in that regard it is very successful.

Attack of the Clones in general leans the most heavily on dialog out of the eight Star Warses, and I think this is generally to its detriment, because it is so uncomplicated and direct. Both the courtship plotline and the investigation plotline would have benefited greatly from more innuendo and ambiguity in the lines.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah that was insane

That was perfect. Especially when the angry dad is Mark Wahlberg, a man who made his fortune being aggressively sexually marketed to teenage girls.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

?? I don't know what you mean

Specifically what you mean after the comma.

I guess I mean that he's trying to do and even more total reboot of the Jedi Order and/or the Jedi's understanding of the Force than his previous attempt (flashback academy destruction), which was seemingly more in line with the prequel school of thought - take the child from the parents for training.

There's a huge bottleneck of knowledge lost between the characters of the prequels and the originals, and the originals to the sequels to a lesser extent. It's not really clear how much Luke has learned about the prequel Jedi post-ROTJ. I'm thinking that he didn't do a deep dig into their methods and institutions until after Ben went sour.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXqwvaUCsc

At last: canon proof that droids are people.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ungulateman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXqwvaUCsc

At last: canon proof that droids are people.

Vader blew R2 up at Yavin, this is fake news. Just realized that Ani unknowingly shot up his old copilot trying to shoot his son. What a dink.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a new EU.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Should the thread title be "They called the tenth Star Wars "episode 8"?

TPM
AotC
Clone Wars
RotS
Rogue 1
ANH
ESB
RotJ
TFA
TLJ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Should the thread title be "They called the tenth Star Wars "episode 8"?

TPM
AotC
Clone Wars
RotS
Rogue 1
ANH
ESB
RotJ
TFA
TLJ

Nobody seems to remember Clone Wars. Just the live action ones.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I always view Clone Wars as more of a jumped-up TV pilot, even though it was in theaters.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The 10th Star Wars: Star Wars 9: Episode VIII

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

I always view Clone Wars as more of a jumped-up TV pilot, even though it was in theaters.

Might be the second best prequel though, definitely up there with my favorite arcs of the show.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I consider a TV pilot with a theatrical run to be distinct from a movie, but I don't know why I think that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There were also the Ewok Adventures, which were movies without a theatrical run.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

I consider a TV pilot with a theatrical run to be distinct from a movie, but I don't know why I think that.

While the Clone Wars film was repurposed TV episodes, they did go in and edit them into a film presentation. They didn't just air 4 episodes unaltered

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Back to new stuff. Does this not look like an evil person outfit?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I think it's one of those cones you put on a dog so it doesn't pull at its stitches.

But like, the space version.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

UmOk posted:

So she raided Chuck De Nomolos' closet?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

just another posted:

I think it's one of those cones you put on a dog so it doesn't pull at its stitches.

But like, the space version.

Maybe to keep her nose from cocaine?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mortanis posted:

There is no EU any more. HTH.

Wrong. Disney killed the old EU to make up and sell you a whole new EU. It's just as bad as the previous one but now incredibly boring.

edit: "from a certain point of view" absolutely contradicts the "canon," which is a silly thing to care about. In one of the new comics, Darth Vader wasn't allowed a lightsaber until he got his iconic red lightsaber from "bleeding" a Jedi lightsaber. Yeah, it's that dumb again.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 12, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only strictly non-canonical bit in From a Certain Point of View is that one joke comic panel "story" about a cardboard box fort on Dantooine.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

UmOk posted:

Looks like Gosling's first costume in Run the Blades 2

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

Reminds me of the outfit Sheev's friend the blue lady wore.

Was she evil or just someone that hung out with Palpy?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Reminds me of the outfit Sheev's friend the blue lady wore.

Was she evil or just someone that hung out with Palpy?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sly_Moore

Senior Administrative Aide to Palpatine

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can't remember, according to the EU did Palpatine gently caress? Don't tell me about Triclops from those kids books; those are of dubious canonicity.

Did his obsession with creating life through unnatural means stem from some sort of genital malformation? After his confrontation with Mace Windu did his ballsack become more wrinkly or less wrinky?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

General Dog posted:

I can't remember, according to the EU did Palpatine gently caress? Don't tell me about Triclops from those kids books; those are of dubious canonicity.

Nobody in Star Wars fucks. That's why they need clones.

e: on second thought, Jabba fucks