Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That's the sticking point for me. I'm sold, but not 'buy all the expansions now because they may never be available again!' sold, and feel weird enough about buying a game that might be forever "incomplete" that I'm planning to just bail on it. I noticed that the base game ships in March though, so I might shoot them a message to ask if it would be possible to add expansions on the pledge manager for the October shipment after then.

Personally my money is on them continuing to ride this train with new expansion Kickstarters until the enthusiasm dies, but I agree that I wouldn't want to partway invest and then have it turn out I could never get the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like all reviews, aggregate scores are just indicators of popularity, not quality, and this is not actually a problem. Because there are also countless actual reviews, and you can read them and evaluate their usefullness by their content. Even better, there are reviewers, and you can read lots of a given reviewer's reviews, and reach conclusions about how much you agree or disagree with their opinions. This is just as true for games as it is for movies, books, art, hotels, restaurants, etc.

And as with all of those, if you are lazy and just want a quick rating without reading anything, all you are going to get is a popularity score based on a combination of people who had one bad experience and gave it a terrible rating, and people who had some specific motivation to rate it well, and absolutely nothing in between. Because who bothers to rate stuff that was just adequate?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

Because who bothers to rate stuff that was just adequate?

Plenty of people have rated Splendor.

And pointing to an aggregate score just absolves lazy people from having to actually explaining what they like about the game. God forbid we apply something resembling critical thought to board game reviews. yegods basically just pointed to the BGG rating, said that it's good, and then tried to guilt sell the game to someone with a nice dash of condescension on top of it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

jmzero posted:

Yeah - TIME Stories is a great cautionary tale on leaning too hard on BGG ratings (or game awards/reviewers). Everyone I've talked to that played it was excited going in, and were excited for the first hour... and then blown away by how poorly it went from there. It went from "hard to find gem" to "Facebook group hot potato" in the course of a couple weeks. The fact that it (or, perhaps even worse, Pandante) still has a reasonable score on BGG says either nobody updates their ratings, or they don't play the games they buy.

Huh; everyone in my group loves that game. It's been a while since we played it, but Gloomhaven has taken over 95% of our sessions since February so...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

yegods posted:

That's a pretty bold statement. While I do believe some people put 10 ratings before receiving it... the bulk of the thousands of ratings came in after the game has been available. Anyhow, doesn't matter, you're missing a quite amazing experience of survival and exploration if you blindly pass on this game due to preconceptions and conspiracy theories.

I'm not blindly passing on it, thank you. I watched a gameplay demo at Spiel last year and identified for myself that it was loving garbage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

Not really, but it's also not really a problem that's serious enough to merit more stringent measures. Someone who buys a lovely board game because BGG says that it's actually super good isn't buying, like, a box of shredded asbestos and live brown recluse spiders, they're just wasting some money. And yeah, that always sucks, but bear in mind a lot of folks really do like games like that. Some dude at my FLGS was so fuckin stoked to sit down and play his brand new copy of Exploding Kittens, a game that ownership of should qualify as a form of mental illness. Guy loved it. What are you gonna do?

Target had this big cardboard display of cards against humanity and exploding kittens as an aisle end cap the other day. the exploding kittens side was almost empty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Or better yet ask people how many times they've played the game when they rate it and use that as a soft weighting factor in the back end.

That would skew scores upwards, because people who dislike a game aren't likely to play it many times.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nuns with Guns posted:

Target had this big cardboard display of cards against humanity and exploding kittens as an aisle end cap the other day. the exploding kittens side was almost empty.
Munchkin is also stocked heavily at Target, with SJG going so far as to create Target-exclusive versions of their products.

There's a huge appetite out there for badly-designed games.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Most of the games stocked at large discount stores are going to be kids' games (which covers most "classic" or "family" games) and party games (which deliberately are going to be as simplistic as possible, like CAH, Munchkin, or Exploding Kittens). That's not to say you won't find a popular hobbyist game from time to time, but most games you'll find there are those with practically zero barrier to entry unless they're absolutely proven quantities like Catan.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Jedit posted:

I'm not blindly passing on it, thank you. I watched a gameplay demo at Spiel last year and identified for myself that it was loving garbage.

sorry for you, I am. Fantastic game.

I also love Time Stories :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FMguru posted:

Munchkin is also stocked heavily at Target, with SJG going so far as to create Target-exclusive versions of their products.

There's a huge appetite out there for badly-designed games.

Let's not forget that people paid money for a company to ship them a box full of poo poo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

S.J. posted:

Let's not forget that people paid money for a company to ship them a box full of poo poo.

Yeah that dang ol' Lootcrate :agesilaus:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Subjunctive posted:

That would skew scores upwards, because people who dislike a game aren't likely to play it many times.

Yeah good point. This is adding more complexity, but may down-weight a high score given very close to release without many playthroughs (I am aware of the problem that once and done games would have here), but leave mediocre and late scores alone, and if someone with a high score keeps coming back and logging plays, reweight that score back up.

The other solution could be to popup old ratings when people visit the site and ask 'when did you last play this!' or 'Is this still a 10?'

I guess my thesis of the problem is the hype-cycle creates huge early attachment for a game that artificially inflates it's BGG ranking. This is caused by two things

A) People get their exciting kickstarter after a long delay and give it a huge rating
B) No-one seems to revisit ratings

So probably attacking those two things is a good idea. Maybe the best solution is directly attacking this and

A) Inital high weightings are initally down-weighted, particularly anything before the general retail release
B) Implement 'rating decay' so older high ratings (Anything above the 'take it or leave it level') are slowly weighted down. Someone logging a new play should be prompted if they still like the game, and if so their rating should be 'refreshed'

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 9, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc?ref=nav_search

Look at that goddamn $65 dragon. It's beautiful. There is zero chance of me backing this but if I were more of a committed fantasy TT RP'er I would want that thing so much.

I'd be surprised if this one doesn't clear 2 million.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc?ref=nav_search

Look at that goddamn $65 dragon. It's beautiful. There is zero chance of me backing this but if I were more of a committed fantasy TT RP'er I would want that thing so much.

Other than a vague note of "Legendary Scale!" do you know what actual scale these models are? 10mm?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That game certainly seems to be a huge box of miniatures. I picked up Conan but was just a little disappointed with quality. Wonder what this one will end up like.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Signal posted:

Other than a vague note of "Legendary Scale!" do you know what actual scale these models are? 10mm?

There was a comparison picture to a 32mm scale miniature, the humans looked to be about a third of it, so roughly 10mm? Takes a bit away from the impressiveness of the dragon's scale, even if it's still going to be huge.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Signal posted:

Not sure - here's a picture of it with a human male head in its general vicinity though?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That game certainly seems to be a huge box of miniatures. I picked up Conan but was just a little disappointed with quality. Wonder what this one will end up like.

I've got Conan and was pretty happy with the quality - in particular, the minis are a hard plastic. There's the odd bendy-weapon, but they're fixable with the hot water trick. More importantly, the game seems pretty solid, albeit the first scenario is surprisingly hard. Was there anything in particular you didn't like?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not sure why they're being so sketchy about the scale, but this image:

strongly implies that "Legendary" scale is close to 15mm, so somewhere around Flames of War. (Assuming 25mm bases and roughly normal human hand size.)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Well, I'm glad I don't have money to back it so I don't have to be torn over them having Gog and Magog being KS exclusives.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I've got Conan and was pretty happy with the quality - in particular, the minis are a hard plastic. There's the odd bendy-weapon, but they're fixable with the hot water trick. More importantly, the game seems pretty solid, albeit the first scenario is surprisingly hard. Was there anything in particular you didn't like?

I am sorry, I meant to say Shadows of Brimstone. (I buy too many minis) . Conan seemed to be fine, but it was SoB that I was disappointed in.the starter set minis seemed to be less quality than the stuff that eventually came later.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am sorry, I meant to say Shadows of Brimstone. (I buy too many minis) . Conan seemed to be fine, but it was SoB that I was disappointed in.the starter set minis seemed to be less quality than the stuff that eventually came later.

You know, I don't think I ever received my second shipment from them (SoB). Is that still going out or should I be concerned?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

You know, I don't think I ever received my second shipment from them (SoB). Is that still going out or should I be concerned?

I received a second shipment a while ago, so you may want to drop them a line. It seemed to get really messy with the extra shipments, the pay for an extra extra shipment, the delay, etc.... If you are not in the US, it seems reasonable that your stuff has not arrived yet, but if you are in the states I think you should have your stuff by now.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I received a second shipment a while ago, so you may want to drop them a line. It seemed to get really messy with the extra shipments, the pay for an extra extra shipment, the delay, etc.... If you are not in the US, it seems reasonable that your stuff has not arrived yet, but if you are in the states I think you should have your stuff by now.

My shipping address is in the US, and I didn't add on anything else since (in the years since the original kickstarter) I've relocated overseas for work. So it'll probably just sit in a closet when it does arrive, I'm not too terribly concerned. I haven't received any packages though, so I guess I'll contact them and see whats up. Thanks!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
What is the general opinion on Forbidden Lands?

(Edit: I am an idiot and forgot the verb.)

Rid fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rid posted:

What the general opinion on Forbidden Lands?

It looks super generic but neat and I want it even though there is a 99.9% chance I wouldn't be able to get anyone to play with me.

Which is a shame, it looks lovely. Hexcrawling is something I'd always wanted to try.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rid posted:

What the general opinion on Forbidden Lands?

The publisher's other games are good and, from what I can tell, this is basically them doing the (generic-ish) fantasy version of their in-house system. It should be a decent game, when it comes out.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It looks super generic but neat and I want it even though there is a 99.9% chance I wouldn't be able to get anyone to play with me.

Which is a shame, it looks lovely. Hexcrawling is something I'd always wanted to try.

That's basically where I am at too. Not sure if it's worth chucking in the cash for something that I'll end up just staring longingly at while it sits on my bookcase...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

I'm not sure why they're being so sketchy about the scale, but this image:

strongly implies that "Legendary" scale is close to 15mm, so somewhere around Flames of War. (Assuming 25mm bases and roughly normal human hand size.)

They aren't being sketchy, just not putting it on the page for whatever reason (they say it straight up in the videos). They are 15mm.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My wallet is glad. My heart is not. If only it was 1/72.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drunkandugly/gobblin-the-goblin-rpg

quote:

Gobblin’ is an original RPG setting and system where players control goblins settling and exploring a post-apocalyptic Earth. The creatures who crave violence, stupidity and chaos have just found the perfect means to obtain it.

Everyone knows about goblins. They’re violent and stupid little green guys who with just enough brain cells to know what they’re doing and black enough hearts not to care. They live in fantastic worlds where wizards battle dragons, kingdoms rise and fall, and armies of swordsmen clash to save the world from evil. All the while, there’s always goblins looting corpses and stealing cabbages.

When the higher races grew tired of the chaotic creatures so obnoxious that even the forces of evil didn’t want them around, they banded together to form a spell so powerful that it would reach across the entire realm. With what was essentially a magical, interdimensional eviction notice, every single goblin was hurled through time and space until they landed in what they would come to know as their new home. There were no humans or elves there, but those that had lived there before had left behind a strange world ravaged by war. The least cowardly of the goblins started to prod at the mysterious devices until they roared to life and the goblins cheered to realize their fate!

This world had guns and cars, bazookas and robots! Things that exploded if you poked them enough! Exciting mutants and bombed out apartments that were MUCH cozier than any goblin hut. The goblins had a whole world of abandoned toys to discover, many of which could kill their fellow goblin from twenty paces away. The goblins ran wholeheartedly into their new world, wanting to be the first to discover the strangest mysteries, deadliest weapons and tastiest expired snack cakes of the world they would call Goblin House. The humans were gone from this place. The goblins would thrive in their ruins.

Full Disclosure: I know the people who are making this game. They are fellow RPG podcasters and they do good work. Some of the RPPR cast tried this out at Gen Con this year and had a blast. I plan to record a game of it soon and post it on the podcast as well.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

LordAba posted:

They aren't being sketchy, just not putting it on the page for whatever reason (they say it straight up in the videos). They are 15mm.

Great, thanks!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It seems like the 7th Sea Khitai kickstarter is stalling hard. I didn't expect it to do as well as the last one, but now they have permission from Wick to preview the next nation stretch goal ahead of schedule. The Japan and India books are unlocked now and that is honestly the only two things I am interested in.

I wonder if it would be doing better if John Wick was actually doing more writing on the books and not doing 3 7th Sea novels I am pretty sure nobody cares about.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loomer posted:

My wallet is glad. My heart is not. If only it was 1/72.

I feel your pain, but I have 2 100YW armies for DBA in 15mm so I have to keep an eye on this.

Everyone should check out the introduction video, it's good. I'm sure they aren't the first company to animate the 3D models they made for the miniatures, but it's the first I've seen, and it's cool.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mllaneza posted:

I feel your pain, but I have 2 100YW armies for DBA in 15mm so I have to keep an eye on this.

Everyone should check out the introduction video, it's good. I'm sure they aren't the first company to animate the 3D models they made for the miniatures, but it's the first I've seen, and it's cool.

Twerking skelebros is the best part.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Not sure - here's a picture of it with a human male head in its general vicinity though?

gently caress, I wish they did individual minis. I just want the dragon and the tarrasque.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

kinkouin posted:

gently caress, I wish they did individual minis. I just want the dragon and the tarrasque.

Pretty sure they DID have an option to just get the dragon, since it's a separate add-on. Pledge for $1 and add $65 on later.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It seems like the 7th Sea Khitai kickstarter is stalling hard. I didn't expect it to do as well as the last one, but now they have permission from Wick to preview the next nation stretch goal ahead of schedule. The Japan and India books are unlocked now and that is honestly the only two things I am interested in.

I wonder if it would be doing better if John Wick was actually doing more writing on the books and not doing 3 7th Sea novels I am pretty sure nobody cares about.

I guess merely doing phenomenally well and getting several times the initial ask, instead of busting a record or two, counts as stalling, yeah. :D I figure they'll get to China as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They'd be doing better if the rules for SS2e weren't a wet fart and L5R wasn't dominating the 'I wanna be a samurai' demographic.