Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's no definitive answer about where orcs come from, or orc females. Tolkien changed his mind about ten times on their origins, so they were everything from vat-grown beasts, to twisted versions of men, or elves, or man-elves, or they were grown from the earth, or they were just always there, or they do reproduce like men, or, or, or, ad nauseum.

Tolkien always seemed to be flip-flopping on ideas to fit his own mythos. Hell, he's constantly using the terms "goblin" and "orc" interchangeably, except when he means they different creatures, except except no they're the same, except except except.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hihohe posted:

Well trying to posts pictures on your phone sucks but now that im home i can do it right

I thought only the Elves could create such beauty!

Also all my online vendetta missions seem to be just rando's and not anyone I recognize off my friends list. I want to avenge my brothers not Johnny useless who cant even take down a pussy scholar.

(My username is Dervish on steam btw)

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 12, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

[quote="“Hihohe”" post="“477293347”"]
Well trying to posts pictures on your phone sucks but now that im home i can do it right

[/quote]

:lol:

His raging intensity is what I live for

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Nechronic posted:

I had to bump the difficulty down during (End Act1) my nemesis fight in the arena because the fucker was unkillable. Extra health, immune to ranged, rapid fire poison crossbow. The grunts never stopped swarming but if I tried to build might or drain them he would just kill me with one salvo. He was supposedly afraid of caragors but he also had beast killer and they never managed to attack him without getting tied up on the grunts anyway. If I shot a barrel he just became enraged. I tried to fight him on nemesis difficulty 6 or 7 times but I turned down the difficulty because I was tired of being forced to sit through his 30 seconds of speech after every death.

Literally exactly what happened to me as well. Couldn't beat him in many tries, had to turn it down to Normal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the game is a good bit harder than the first. It levels out for a while but at 30+ enemies start getting the fun traits.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nemesis hosed me for a good long while but now I have skills and Act 2 and this game is real good. Dudes showing up out of nowhere, any long captain fight attracts extra people, the variety of guys and their weirdly specific gimmicks.

I really want Flogg the Moaner in my game, though.

e: My arena experience was hiding behind a wall, shooting a caragor cage to distract the huge pile of orcs, and insta-gibbing the final orc who was mortally allergic to stealth. It was super-duper easy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's no definitive answer about where orcs come from, or orc females. Tolkien changed his mind about ten times on their origins, so they were everything from vat-grown beasts, to twisted versions of men, or elves, or man-elves, or they were grown from the earth, or they were just always there, or they do reproduce like men, or, or, or, ad nauseum.

A lot of this is that Tolkien as a devout Christian was a bit bothered about the idea of an "always evil" species because he believed anyone had the capacity for good and redemption.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Orcs are not inherently evil, they are inherently your friends

They just mostly express emotion and affection through violence

When you get stabbed that's an orc saying you're neat-o

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I have no interest in the online mode how intrusive / necessary / fun without it is the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ugh I'm at a weird skill level where Normal is manageable even with a couple captains in a fight but Nemesis is a continual struggle for survival if I miss a single dodge/counter from a high-level captain. I guess I'll stick to Normal so I can get to Act 2 without the game turning into Middle Earth: Cuphead then see how I fare on Nemesis after that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

If I have no interest in the online mode how intrusive / necessary / fun without it is the game.

Completely skippable, you don't even have to do the introduction cutscene.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The scuttlebutt here says I'll be going Normal. That's kind of how I assumed they'd do difficulty but the last thing I want to do is blink and be damned to 30 seconds of MAN FILTH BLAH BLAH. Have they toned it down when multiple captains are involved or are you still tapping your fingers impatiently while an entire dance crew gets an introduction?

Shumagorath posted:

Middle Earth: Cuphead

Cmon, one of you guys must be good with photoshop...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SettingSun posted:

This deserves to be in the OP.

INDEED

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

It's a shame the haters have tanked the user review score on metacritic because this really is a great game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Learn from my mistakes - don't take risks to shame a tough guy in the Fortress Raid tutorial mission. It has no checkpoints acts like you just died in the open world and unskippable cutscenes. Just stab em all and let god sort them out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

It's a shame the haters have tanked the user review score on metacritic because this really is a great game.

Nobody cares about the metacritic user review score

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's nothing to be done about it. The microtransactions could have just gotten you hats to put on your orc buddies and the reception would be the same.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are blood brothers supposed to kill each other?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are blood brothers supposed to kill each other?

Was one enraged? If so enrage basically turns off friendly checks on captains.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo my SoM nemesis just showed up and he still looks amazing and he's tough as balls.

Defender Cursed Warmonger Destroyer (LEGENDARY). No mortal weaknesses, heavily damaged by poison, has a posse of buffed defenders all with cursed weapons and the trait that boosts curse.

This guy is tough.

Still looks amazing though

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 12, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Andrast posted:

Nobody cares about the metacritic user review score

Aren't developer bonuses based on this?

edit:nm you said the user score.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Orv posted:

Was one enraged? If so enrage basically turns off friendly checks on captains.
I know the loser was enraged and then a short while later, I see his brother body slamming and wailing on him until he died. Carragor hunt has ended.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone have tips for the Mabad mission? I can't keep my caragor alive long enough to do 6 executions or complete the mission fast enough for the other bonus objective.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Zore posted:

You can go back literally any time. Just go to the world map

You sure about that? On my map I can see the areas but can't "zoom into" them, if that makes sense.

Johnny Lee Wombat
Jan 1, 2010

canepazzo posted:

You sure about that? On my map I can see the areas but can't "zoom into" them, if that makes sense.

You can't leave the first zone of Act 2 until you capture the first stronghold. It all opens up again after that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
:siren: ORC WAR BOYS :siren:

He stabbed a dude and was all WITNESS MY SKILL

Also note: Chrome accessories

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious, but what can Talion do un-assisted (ie, no bodyguards/beasts/explosions) against a shield captain with vault breaker and ranged immunity? Fucker showed up during a story mission and I had no intel on him, so no fears to exploit, and he couldn't even be directly attacked. Luckily I was allowed to summon my bodyguard during that mission and that dude lights people on fire like it's his job (because it is).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ive all but conquered nurnen, just need to do a bunch of story missions before i can attack the actual fortress

my new best friend is pash the master. i made him into a warchief and had him attack another warchief and he killed him and all his captains pretty much single handedly. although he had decoys so its hard to tell if it was actually him doing the killing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pro tip: Don't choose an orc with bombs to be your bodyguard. There's friendly fire and being stunned every 5 seconds gets irritating really quickly.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
So, I was preparing myself for the Fortress assault by knocking off one of the Warchief's bodyguards, when the bastard himself interrupted me, complained about me killing his guys, and tried to end me with the help of two other Captains.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious, but what can Talion do un-assisted (ie, no bodyguards/beasts/explosions) against a shield captain with vault breaker and ranged immunity? Fucker showed up during a story mission and I had no intel on him, so no fears to exploit, and he couldn't even be directly attacked. Luckily I was allowed to summon my bodyguard during that mission and that dude lights people on fire like it's his job (because it is).

Unless you've been ambushed between camps, farm up executes on grunts or run away and abuse stealth attacks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the scrap of bloody cloth hanging from my dagger sheathe?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how to activate this? I can't for the life of me figure out a way to freeze a guy and still be able to do a stealth attack on him.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the scrap of bloody cloth hanging from my dagger sheathe?

I think it's a piece of your dead wive's dress?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know how to activate this? I can't for the life of me figure out a way to freeze a guy and still be able to do a stealth attack on him.

Mighty Shot with the Freeze augment before anyone sees you might allow it. If not that then you'll need another piece of gear that allows you to stealth in combat, and I don't know if that comes in any flavor but the Last Chance one.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone managed to get a betraying orc back in line? The first guy I started building up turned on me after a while but he gained the iron will trait so I couldnt dominate him anymore and had to chop his head off. Maybe a shaming would have removed the iron will?

The only other half decent orc Ive managed to get is the first one to ever kill me and get promoted, I went to kill him but accidentally recruited him and he ended up saving me about 4 separate times before getting killed by some troll rear end in a top hat :( I miss that guy.

Nemesis mode is decently tough so far. Every fight can be escaped easily to stealth drain someone and run back but stuff keeps happening to stop me from doing that. Last night I had this annoying orc on the ropes and just as his icon went green I got ambushed by some ambusher and the guys blood brother, died trying to take over the first guys mind before I left.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

Mighty Shot with the Freeze augment before anyone sees you might allow it. If not that then you'll need another piece of gear that allows you to stealth in combat, and I don't know if that comes in any flavor but the Last Chance one.

Vaulting with Free Augment works as long as they haven't seen you prior.

Brasseye posted:

Has anyone managed to get a betraying orc back in line? The first guy I started building up turned on me after a while but he gained the iron will trait so I couldnt dominate him anymore and had to chop his head off. Maybe a shaming would have removed the iron will?

Iron Will can be removed by shaming but it's not guaranteed and at that point you're losing a ton of levels on them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey, so do I need to add peeps to my friends list to get more vendetta missions or whatever? If so I'm RobertOlmstead on PSN if we're doing a list.

And if you get a vendetta mission from me that's some level-nothing scrub in Cirith Ungol, look, one of the random slaves got in a lucky shot while I was fleeing a pack of caragor riders, alright? It could happen to anyone :mad:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ah that sucks. Well I managed to shame a really powerful captain the other night, guess i should hunt him down and recruit him. Hopefully he will do better than all the other orcs I recruited so far...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if it's possible to have an endless arena fight if you get two orcs with that healing trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

RatHat posted:

I wonder if it's possible to have an endless arena fight if you get two orcs with that healing trait.

The arena fights are timed, so nah.

Meanwhile in my game a Captain I've been harassing to level my orc friends because he retreats halfway through every fight just decided to ambush me in the middle of my own fort.

This time, there was nowhere for him to run.

• Locked thread