Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I thought she was fixin to ice him, all she'd have to do is shove him in the recycler, edit the last couple hours out of his backup memories or whatever before pluggin him in a new body, super easy and she probably does it all the time.

I mean that's not an exaggeration, we've seen they do literally murder their own androids for really questionable reasons, all the time. Of all possible excuses for that, protecting the big lie the whole war hinges on seems like a pretty believable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I think the Commander is heading off any incoming blame from 9S at the pass. In essence, she's letting him have the same information she has, and daring him to make a different decision about it. This is not a rational risk to take in the sense of perpetuating the deception at any cost, but if you consider her mental well-being, it may be worth a shot to have anyone else in the Bunker sharing the burden with her and more or less reassuring her that her choice is the least awful one. If you look at it this way, she's not doing this because it's smart, she's doing this because she's desperately lonely and terrified of being wrong.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zoe posted:

Yeah I thought she was fixin to ice him, all she'd have to do is shove him in the recycler, edit the last couple hours out of his backup memories or whatever before pluggin him in a new body, super easy and she probably does it all the time.

I mean that's not an exaggeration, we've seen they do literally murder their own androids for really questionable reasons, all the time. Of all possible excuses for that, protecting the big lie the whole war hinges on seems like a pretty believable one.

She doesn't even have to gently caress with his memories.

He isn't automatically backing up, so she could just ice him and he forgets what the gently caress happened since the last time, like in the prologue.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

For me the big surprise is that the Yorha androids are just based off a previous generation of combat androids. I thought for sure the twist was going to be that each model’s unique looks and personalities are based off actual humans. Like, I thought somewhere on the moon was an original shy awkward human boy that 9S is based off of.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FAT BATMAN posted:

For me the big surprise is that the Yorha androids are just based off a previous generation of combat androids. I thought for sure the twist was going to be that each model’s unique looks and personalities are based off actual humans. Like, I thought somewhere on the moon was an original shy awkward human boy that 9S is based off of.

don't doxx me

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

She doesn't even have to gently caress with his memories.

He isn't automatically backing up, so she could just ice him and he forgets what the gently caress happened since the last time, like in the prologue.

poo poo maybe this isn't the first time she's told him

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

poo poo maybe this isn't the first time she's told him

Today even.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Maybe that's why 2B is so cold to him? She knows it's just a matter of time?

9S: Hello, ma'am
*INDUSTRIAL JUICING ACCIDENT*
9S: Hello ma'am
*FAULTY CPU SHORTS OUT*
*TELEPORT ERROR, DATA STREAM TRANSMITTED TO NEPTUNE*
*TRIPS, FALLS INTO RECYCLER*
*STEPS THROUGH WRONG DOOR, SHOT INTO SPACE WHEN AIRLOCK CYCLES*

Etc, etc...

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

*FAULTY CPU SHORTS OUT*

Etc, etc...

Given her previous behavior that a rather disturbingly probable idea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

emil's been in charge this entire time

Hey, he is the last known surviving human. Why not put him in charge?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I bought this game after playing the demo thinking it'd be some hybrid of Bayonetta and a light shmup, with what everyone was saying was a cool story.

I wound up not really enjoying it, and stopped at the end of Route A. The combat wasn't near as good as Bayonetta, there was barely any shmup stuff, and the story seemed really boring. I didn't get into the sidequests because I already hated the backtracking and the first one I tried was that bullshit parade that is in no way marked as too high level for you.

I've been enjoying reading this LP. But Route B looks even more boring to play. I figured that if the story of Route B looked cool from the LP, I would pick up my save and try to get to the end of the game before TDI did. But if I had gone through Route B only to get the "twist" that humanity was already dead I would have been pretty pissed off. I can't believe this second large chunk of the game is still just preamble!

I'm still eager to see what's left in this LP. It's presented really well by TDI and I'm sure there are more surprises to come. But I can't help but think that making the player go on for 20 hours with a pretty rote plot (and some neat little grim vignettes here and there) is not that great.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Forgive me if this is lore nerding, but I always assumed the Replicants died off before the Gestalts. The black scrawl affects Replicants whose corresponding Gestalt has relapsed, but after the Shadowlord died, all Gestalts relapsed. So I assumed that the Replicants ate it within a generation or two, maximum, while the Shades were able to live on as feral animals for a while, centuries, even, considering that they don't seem to age, until they eventually died out due to their inability to reproduce.

Also, 9S right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7HmltUWXgs&t=53s

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Honestly, I'm just surprised the Commander was so chill letting 9S know about the entire thing, giving him a document explaining things AND letting him go. The way she had you there alone made me think she was planning to kill you for knowing too much. Or had some other YorHa members with her and declare 9S a traitor on some made-up charges and had him killed on the spot.

The fact she did nothing is what's so eerie about it to me.

I love this part. In a JRPG this would kick off a bombastic boss fight where we find out the Commander has three different forms and must kill us "for you have learned... THE TRUTH!" After the fight there would be a brief dialogue scene and then nothing would change.

In this case though, what's the harm in telling 9S? It's all pointless anyway, why kill to hide an almost pointless secret? I wonder how long the Commander has been in charge? Being up ont he space station rather than fighting on Earth would mean she may have hundreds or thousands of years of memories due to never needing to be recycled.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

In this case though, what's the harm in telling 9S? It's all pointless anyway, why kill to hide an almost pointless secret? I wonder how long the Commander has been in charge? Being up ont he space station rather than fighting on Earth would mean she may have hundreds or thousands of years of memories due to never needing to be recycled.

But is it pointless? That secret may be the only thing keeping the entire android "society" functioning. To learn that the reason for their entire existence is long since gone, and that they've been enduring millennia of war for literally nothing might just cause some problems.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
What helped alleviate the rehashing of plot in route b for me, other than the new sidequests, was hunting down all those locked chests for bits of lore. There's actually quite a lot of it sitting around, and the story bits take up a lot less time than they appear to from a screenshot LP viewpoint.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This fits in really well with the existentialist themes of the game. Humanity's been dead all along and your whole life is based on a lie. Now what are you going to do?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I love how this is just such an underwhelming twist. Everyone who's played Nier already knows better. Everyone who hasn't played Nier can still probably see it coming just from all the hints the game drops.

What matters isn't' the twist, what matters is how that twist recontextualizes everything. That's the whole reason there's a Route A and Route B. They could have just made those two separate, intersecting storylines, not the same storyline twice, but they did because people know Yoko Taro's game now, they know his style, they're expecting weirdness and a twist at some point.

Route A doesn't have the twist, because it's all about setting up expectations. The existentialism themes, the parallels between androids and machines, the whole idea of fighting forever for no reason. All those ideas are setup during Route A, but it's all looking glass stuff. We see it but don't engage with it because 2B is super straightforward and all about getting the job done and doesn't waste time with questions or self-reflection.

Route B is where he twists those expectations and holds up the mirror. There's a reason the opening moments of Route B have you controlling a machine before 9S. It's explicitly saying that machines are no different from androids, even to the point where they're under the player's control (if you hack them, at least). And now we get another resemblance, that just like the aliens, humans have been dead the whole time.

What's interesting is that now we know what 9S knows... but we're not at the end of Route B yet. So we're in a weird situation where we know that 9S knows humanity is dead, but 2B doesn't. And we know he doesn't tell her before Route A is done.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Honestly, I'm surprised Nines' reaction to this wasn't just "...well, duh. You know everyone has figured that out, right?".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's less a twist and more confirmation that everything you've been fighting for is meaningless.

just like real life

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm gonna guess that realizing this is the "logic virus" that's been going around.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Reminder that Drakengard Route B wasn't weird at all until the final boss. At which point it became so horrifying that the sound of the screaming still haunts me to this day.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I love how this is just such an underwhelming twist. Everyone who's played Nier already knows better. Everyone who hasn't played Nier can still probably see it coming just from all the hints the game drops.

What matters isn't' the twist, what matters is how that twist recontextualizes everything. That's the whole reason there's a Route A and Route B. They could have just made those two separate, intersecting storylines, not the same storyline twice, but they did because people know Yoko Taro's game now, they know his style, they're expecting weirdness and a twist at some point.

Route A doesn't have the twist, because it's all about setting up expectations. The existentialism themes, the parallels between androids and machines, the whole idea of fighting forever for no reason. All those ideas are setup during Route A, but it's all looking glass stuff. We see it but don't engage with it because 2B is super straightforward and all about getting the job done and doesn't waste time with questions or self-reflection.

Route B is where he twists those expectations and holds up the mirror. There's a reason the opening moments of Route B have you controlling a machine before 9S. It's explicitly saying that machines are no different from androids, even to the point where they're under the player's control (if you hack them, at least). And now we get another resemblance, that just like the aliens, humans have been dead the whole time.

What's interesting is that now we know what 9S knows... but we're not at the end of Route B yet. So we're in a weird situation where we know that 9S knows humanity is dead, but 2B doesn't. And we know he doesn't tell her before Route A is done.

Yeah route B is weird in that it's kinda boring and repetitive, and yet super necessary to the story since you do find out key things. Not just in terms of story, but also the hacking mechanics.

Billzasilver posted:

Reminder that Drakengard Route B wasn't weird at all until the final boss. At which point it became so horrifying that the sound of the screaming still haunts me to this day.

I'm not sure what you're talking abo-

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's great because it's arguably the ending where Inuart gets the most owned.

Anyhow, I personally enjoyed Automata's route B because there's enough new stuff here and there to keep things interesting, and it's not like the repeated content is particularly long to clear. I can understand that someone who doesn't care much about the story or the setting wouldn't like it though.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

But is it pointless? That secret may be the only thing keeping the entire android "society" functioning. To learn that the reason for their entire existence is long since gone, and that they've been enduring millennia of war for literally nothing might just cause some problems.

I think that finding out that the aliens are dead too was already going to mess things up pretty badly. That was pretty clearly new information.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

AdmiralViscen posted:

I bought this game after playing the demo thinking it'd be some hybrid of Bayonetta and a light shmup, with what everyone was saying was a cool story.

I wound up not really enjoying it, and stopped at the end of Route A. The combat wasn't near as good as Bayonetta, there was barely any shmup stuff, and the story seemed really boring. I didn't get into the sidequests because I already hated the backtracking and the first one I tried was that bullshit parade that is in no way marked as too high level for you.

I've been enjoying reading this LP. But Route B looks even more boring to play. I figured that if the story of Route B looked cool from the LP, I would pick up my save and try to get to the end of the game before TDI did. But if I had gone through Route B only to get the "twist" that humanity was already dead I would have been pretty pissed off. I can't believe this second large chunk of the game is still just preamble!

I'm still eager to see what's left in this LP. It's presented really well by TDI and I'm sure there are more surprises to come. But I can't help but think that making the player go on for 20 hours with a pretty rote plot (and some neat little grim vignettes here and there) is not that great.

May be an unpopular opinion here, but I agree. I played the game through all the main endings, and I remember nothing crazy happening plotwise, yet everyone is very excited about all the twists. Starting to make me wonder if I missed a bunch of content.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
maybe hold off on your discussion of how you feel about the whole game in an ongoing LP thread about the game

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

really queer Christmas posted:

Yeah route B is weird in that it's kinda boring and repetitive, and yet super necessary to the story since you do find out key things. Not just in terms of story, but also the hacking mechanics.

I'm not sure what you're talking abo-

yeah right about when her eyes went funny was when I decided never to sleep again :stonklol:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hacking makes you so strong that getting through Route B is such a breeze I never found it particularly tedious.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I had to wait until now for it not to be a spoiler, but: notice that the YorHa motto is "for the glory of mankind." Not "for mankind," not "for the defense of mankind," but "for the glory."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

megane posted:

I had to wait until now for it not to be a spoiler, but: notice that the YorHa motto is "for the glory of mankind." Not "for mankind," not "for the defense of mankind," but "for the glory."

Mankind did such a bang up job on things.

Kinda silly that the machines have space faring vehicles and yet, never developed scanner allowing them to scan the moon for lifesigns.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Darth TNT posted:

Mankind did such a bang up job on things.

Kinda silly that the machines have space faring vehicles and yet, never developed scanner allowing them to scan the moon for lifesigns.

Similarly you could ask if the androids have this technology to give themselves biological parts why didn’t they try to revive humans through cloning using the remaining gestalt genetic information. Then again the reason might be quasi-religious

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you clone a human in Nier I think you just get a replicant and they die of acute lack of a soul itis.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, living Gestalts are required to make Replicants. Living Gestalts are also required to keep your replicants, too, what with the wasting disease and all. I think that connection is there because it's all Magic-tech and stuff.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

2B: Hey nines! :)
9S: I am so excited about this new juicer.
2B: Hey... nines :-/
9S: Oh are you in a bad mood..
*FAULTY CPU SHORTS OUT*
2B: Hey.
9S: *shrug*
2B: *sobbing*
9S: What the christ.
2B: Emotions are prohibited
9S: Uh.. yikes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Consider that no matter what you do, short of actual time travel or dimension hopping over to kidnap some guys from the Drakengard world, human culture is dead. Even if you were to recreate a perfectly normal and functional human being, how would it behave? All it would have to go on is android culture and their imperfect memories of human culture. The androids place a great importance on what humans did, not just what they were, and even Adam and Eve's main purpose in being imitation humans seems to be to better mimic human activities. Adam wants to think like a human, not like a human that thinks like an android.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Given her previous behavior that a rather disturbingly probable idea.

Probable? I'd say it's drat near confirmed.

Everything we're seeing is screaming that this is not the first time a lot of this has happened.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The machine orgy and subsequent birth of Adam and Eve was probably new, though.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Nina posted:

Hacking makes you so strong that getting through Route B is such a breeze I never found it particularly tedious.

I found Route A to be pretty tedious on its own. Running back and forth over the same few environments fighting even fewer enemy types.

I think it would be better if the sidequests were mandatory. Many of them are so abstract or briefly available that you'd need to play with a guide in front of you to even experience them. And since the designers can't know how many you have done, the characters are always making the same observations over and over.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sindai posted:

If you clone a human in Nier I think you just get a replicant and they die of acute lack of a soul itis.

Speculation: Androids are just replicants with beep boop computer programming instead of Gestalts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think it would be better if the sidequests were mandatory. Many of them are so abstract or briefly available that you'd need to play with a guide in front of you to even experience them. And since the designers can't know how many you have done, the characters are always making the same observations over and over.

trolled by Cavia Platinum

• Locked thread