Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Has Lynch ever talked about that bit? As well as being an especially nasty fridging it's completely unnecessary to the story, as there's ample other deaths that provide the same motivation, and are more successfully emotional. It's a real sour note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Gasp! Not... Vulgarity!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd say fantasy + (noir / crime / heist / caper) depending. Overall I think it's one of the better fantasy novels in the past ten years or so, mostly on the strength of its pacing, relatively innovative setting and plotting, and brave narrative choices; the author isn't afraid to burn bridges. The sequels underperform though (partly because the author burned so many bridges in the first novel).

And that's why the fourth book is (supposedly) a prequel so he can go back to the good ol' days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Lemme put it another way: Cherryh writes really good assholes that you can understand. Downbelow Station is the best example of this because you get the POV of one gigantic gaping rear end in a top hat so you really get why he does everything...and you don't get that in Foreigner, but it's still there. Jerks you understand and likely hate, if you're so inclined.

...Ahh, I'm not making much sense. I need to reread Foreigner again - pick up the latest books and get going on a reread - but after a while it's hard to hate some of the jerks because you're so used to them and you know where they're coming from.

Or they're like the stationers and you hate their guts anyways because, god, those idiots.

I think you've hit on it, actually. In her other books I have some understanding of the antagonists, and that means I have some sympathy for them even as I fantasize about shoving them out the airlock or trading them to the Knnn for thirty tonnes of mixed rocks or something.

In Fortress, I don't feel like I can successfully get into any of their heads, so my mental model of them is just "lol I'm going to be a total shitlord and gently caress things up for everyone for no reason duuuurrrrrrrrr".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

smug n stuff posted:

Sanderson's Elantris is a Bad Book but the priest character Hrathen allowed him to explore kinda interesting ideas about religion and faith, I thought

There's also characters like Szeth (and Dalinar) in Stormlight, Sazed in Mistborn, and Wax in the followup series. Religion and faith will definitely be a thing for Dalinar, as there was no way it couldn't be after how the 2nd book concluded.

Hrathen's arc in Elantris is definitely the best though. Elantris is also a fine book, though I read the 20th anniversary edition which has some rewrites/edits IIRC. :shrug:

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

mllaneza posted:

And that's why the fourth book is (supposedly) a prequel so he can go back to the good ol' days.

The third book was a prequel.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Don't think I saw this in the latest pages, but Humble Bundle has a sci fi ebook bundle. Goes up to 8 bucks for about 25 books.

I don't read enough sci-fi to give recommendations, but hey, maybe there's a few good titles in there.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Vacuum Flowers is worth the price of admission alone

That cover tho lol

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

So, uhh, anybody read any good books lately

Just read The Uploaded by Ferret Steinmetz, it had an interesting take on uploading people.
Its a YA dystopia where the dead are uploaded to computer, but the interesting part is that they don't bother going to old well of the uploaded people not being "real."
The future just sucks because the virtual world is just more fun than the real world. All the uploaded scientists just spend their time making the virtual world better, increasing the fidelity of their senses beyond real life, which requires the people in the real world to keep building more an more computers to keep up with the software upgrades while everything else in the real world gets shittier. Everyone goes along with this because if you rock the boat you don't get uploaded.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Artelier posted:

Don't think I saw this in the latest pages, but Humble Bundle has a sci fi ebook bundle. Goes up to 8 bucks for about 25 books.

I don't read enough sci-fi to give recommendations, but hey, maybe there's a few good titles in there.

what an odd qualitative and thematic hodge-podge of things

known literary peers octavia butler and william c. dietz

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

CaptCommy posted:

Edit: I also thing the books are real good if you like the style he writes them in. It's a very mythological/historical style with some big events happening in like two sentences or off screen. But it's a pretty unique thing and I found it a good change of pace from the way most fantasy is written.

I dug into it a bit last night and I can totally see what you mean. Ken Liu's background as a translator of Chinese literature really bleeds through into his writing style, and at times it feels like a really good translation of a non-English original text. It's definitely a style I haven't seen done much before and I'm interested to read on.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ianmacdo posted:

Just read The Uploaded by Ferret Steinmetz, it had an interesting take on uploading people.
Its a YA dystopia where the dead are uploaded to computer, but the interesting part is that they don't bother going to old well of the uploaded people not being "real."
The future just sucks because the virtual world is just more fun than the real world. All the uploaded scientists just spend their time making the virtual world better, increasing the fidelity of their senses beyond real life, which requires the people in the real world to keep building more an more computers to keep up with the software upgrades while everything else in the real world gets shittier. Everyone goes along with this because if you rock the boat you don't get uploaded.

Interesting, it's roko's basilisk except it doesn't need to invoke the nerd eschatology of godlike AI.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
For anyone who really like PKD, The Folio Society has released a volume with Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep and Through a Scanner Darkly.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

General Battuta posted:

the short story where Dan Simmons meets his future self traveling back in time to warn how the ground zero mosque will usher in global sharia

Authors including themselves in books will forever be the worst thing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lol

andrew smash posted:

Interesting, it's roko's basilisk except it doesn't need to invoke the nerd eschatology of godlike AI.

But you do need an idiot plot.

Re Ken Liu's style, I looked at the book and was turned off by the flat and boring style. I get it's imitating Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but it didn't work. Disappointing after his stories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Artelier posted:

Shockwave Rider is a book I heard of many years ago after a computer game was named after it for no particular reason other than the programmer liked the sound of it. Anyone know if it's actually worth reading?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Shockwave Rider is a book I heard of many years ago after a computer game was named after it for no particular reason other than the programmer liked the sound of it. Anyone know if it's actually worth reading?

Classic 70s cyberpunk, I think Brunner's work holds up fairly well but you might disagree.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rough Lobster posted:

Authors including themselves in books will forever be the worst thing.

Worked for Vonnegut

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Worked for Vonnegut

And Ringo.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

It's a pretty alright novel. Some of the specifics of the technological elements are obviously very dated, but the general sorts of questions he's asking about government secrecy and the influence of pretty close analogue to the internet on society are still pretty relevant.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Drone posted:

I dug into it a bit last night and I can totally see what you mean. Ken Liu's background as a translator of Chinese literature really bleeds through into his writing style, and at times it feels like a really good translation of a non-English original text. It's definitely a style I haven't seen done much before and I'm interested to read on.

Probably because the book is a beat-for-beat retelling of the founding of the Han Dynasty. I found this to be weirdly uncommented on. Every single major plot point and most of the main characters are 100% the start of the Han Dynasty, plus a light glaze of fantasy elements. Liu Bang is Kuni Garu and Xiang Yu is Mata Zyndu. I'm not even talking about the broad structure of the novel, I mean really specific stuff like the Feast at Hong Gate get worked in as literally a way as possible. Isn't that kind of weird? If a book drew so precisely from some sort of well known western historical drama I'm not sure what people would say.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Copernic posted:

Probably because the book is a beat-for-beat retelling of the founding of the Han Dynasty. I found this to be weirdly uncommented on.

I think a lot of sf readers think history only goes as far east as Troy.

Copernic posted:

If a book drew so precisely from some sort of well known western historical drama I'm not sure what people would say.

Harry Turtledove's early career was basically this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GGK's entire career is this

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

my bony fealty posted:

Vacuum Flowers is worth the price of admission alone

That cover tho lol

I agree, this one is better

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

GGK's entire career is this

ASOIF leans pretty heavy on the War of the Roses at least initially, Honor Harrington obfuscates with its chatter about individual missiles but uses a lot of Nelson's career (and Robe S. Pierre of course) but we don't call them poo poo because they draw on historical events

Basically people are willing to consume dramatizations of historical events already, I guess I don't care much if they dress them up in different clothes so long as it's a fun ride.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

skasion posted:

I read Mythago Wood. Holy poo poo, what a disappointment. There's an absolutely brilliant weird fiction novel trapped inside it, trying to get out.

Lavondyss goes some way toward being that weird fiction novel. Maybe not brilliant, but satisfyingly weird and alien in ways that Mythago Wood doesn't even try to be.

Not coincidentally, the eternally blue-balled Huxley men do not feature in Lavondyss. The protagonist is Harry Keeton's kid sister, in third-person POV. You get a lot more folklore and myth. You also get some outright body horror.

I read Lavondyss before any of the other Mythago books, and all the others were disappointments to me after that. If I'd read Mythago Wood first I don't think I'd have bothered with the rest.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

MeerkatHero posted:

Lavondyss goes some way toward being that weird fiction novel. Maybe not brilliant, but satisfyingly weird and alien in ways that Mythago Wood doesn't even try to be.

Not coincidentally, the eternally blue-balled Huxley men do not feature in Lavondyss. The protagonist is Harry Keeton's kid sister, in third-person POV. You get a lot more folklore and myth. You also get some outright body horror.

I read Lavondyss before any of the other Mythago books, and all the others were disappointments to me after that. If I'd read Mythago Wood first I don't think I'd have bothered with the rest.

I remember Lavondyss being extremely creepy, in a good way. It's been 15+ years since I read them both, but it was definitely better than the first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Copernic posted:

If a book drew so precisely from some sort of well known western historical drama I'm not sure what people would say.

The Lion King is literally Hamlet, except Simba isn't a depressive guy with suicidal ideation.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Honor Harrington was the most boring, least interesting character I've ever read. I was waiting for the reveal at the end of the book to be that she was a straight up android.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Turns out that The Ritual by Adam Nevill got turned into a movie. Looks neat.

I haven't read it, but the trailer looked interesting, so I'm gonna add it to the list.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Turns out that The Ritual by Adam Nevill got turned into a movie. Looks neat.

I haven't read it, but the trailer looked interesting, so I'm gonna add it to the list.

About half the book is pretty good. The back half goes off the rails and drags on too long. It comes up frequently in the horror thread.

Honestly I think it might work better as a movie. Nevill does pretty well with atmosphere but I think some of the scares would work better as a visual.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

The Lion King is literally Hamlet, except Simba isn't a depressive guy with suicidal ideation.

Not really. It's quite different from Hamlet, and the original legend of Amleth too.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The songs are much better in The Lion King, for one thing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I finished Ann Leckie's new book, Provenance, recently. It's a nice, fun read with some interesting ideas. Definitely lighter than the Ancillary books, but still good. It's set in the same universe as the Ancillary books, but in a human society outside the Radch. It's interesting to get a different perspective on some things in that universe.

I also ran across a very strange series that starts with the The Chronicles of Old Guy. It is told from the perspective of a sentient Cybertank, the titular Old Guy, built by humans but long after humans have mysteriously vanished, leaving the cybertanks as the sole remnant of humanity, carrying on art, culture, and philosophy. This is, as should be obvious, a comedy series.

It's better than it sounds.

The dude who wrote it is an electrical engineer who went on to get a PhD in physiology, specializing in neurobiology, so there's actually a sensible justification given for why cybertanks are the only sentient devices created by the humans, and, more or less, act the way they do. The first one is $0.99 on Kindle and it's worth checking out if you want a very light semi-hard SF comedy read. I haven't started the second yet, but the reviews claim the rest are good as well.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 13, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Technically not a new book, but Gary Burley's extremely gorgeous, fully hand-illustrated edition of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has reached its Kickstarter funding for a limited second run. For disclosure, I've got a couple of the first-run copies (and am probably going to throw in for one of the second-run copies and some artprints), and this book is incredible to actually see. The fact that it's the result of a 27-year passion project by Mr. Burley is very evident.

From the time of this posting, you have just under 13 days to snag yourself a paperback or hardcover copy of this edition, which contains more than 500 hand-inked illustrations. You can also get some of these illustrations as artprints as well:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Which translation, or is it in French?

I need to get a.modern translation that doesn't cut the anti British parts.

Also is he doing The Mysterious Island too

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
It is the standard 1873 Sampson Low translation.

He has spoken of doing a run of the original French though! Not sure what the timetable on that looks like.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Copernic posted:

You just described A Game of Thrones. Aside from it using the War of the Roses as it's foundation the Wall is literally Hadrian's Wall and the Red Wedding is based on real events like The Black Dinner.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the answer is "they'd love it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alehkhs posted:

It is the standard 1873 Sampson Low translation.

He has spoken of doing a run of the original French though! Not sure what the timetable on that looks like.

Ah Mercier translation then. Sadness. Hrm. Still might be worth it. Looks like he's drawn Nemo's ethnicity correctly which is a good sign.