Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pivo posted:

I have them on two iOS devices... They will automatically connect to the previous one, IIRC, but you can go into Settings -> Bluetooth and tap the entry to manually 'take them over' from the other device. Share them with my Mac, too, again just sometimes have to go into the audio menu bar item and select them as the output.

Perfect! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Furism posted:

I don't really need to drag & drop from Explorer or something. Going through a software is fine. It'd just hoped that software wouldn't be a huge bloatware that I don't need for any of its features except copying files. I'm also reluctant to install iTunes because last time I tried it, 10 years ago, it decided to re-organize all of my media libraries. I don't want that, because I spent A LOT of time organizing it the way I like it. Does it still do that?

Google play music

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Furism posted:

I don't really need to drag & drop from Explorer or something. Going through a software is fine. It'd just hoped that software wouldn't be a huge bloatware that I don't need for any of its features except copying files. I'm also reluctant to install iTunes because last time I tried it, 10 years ago, it decided to re-organize all of my media libraries. I don't want that, because I spent A LOT of time organizing it the way I like it. Does it still do that?

That’s always been a feature that you can turn off, since forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Are you checking availability using the Apple Store app?

Yeah I am. I think it’s good they aren’t readily available because I’d probably have bought them.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Furism posted:

You're probably better off returning the iPhone and buying an Android.

We get someone like you every month or so. Someone who just switched over from Android to iOS and is refusing to change their workflow and insists that the way they want to do things is the best way. That's not really Apple: they think there is a better way and do not allow you to do it differently. If you can't accept that you should switch to Android.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The history of Apple's decision making with respect to managing your files for you goes back further than iOS. They started it with iPod. When iPod was being developed, relational filesystems were an active research and development topic, most notably Microsoft's WinFS but others too. Many thought the future was not in hierarchical file systems, where location of files mattered - files would be stored as blobs somewhere on disk, and 'exist' only because of their entry in a relational database. You wouldn't go to \Settings\ApplicationFoo, you would SELECT * FROM Settings WHERE Application='Foo'. Not yourself, of course, but that's how the file system would work. You wouldn't search for an MP3 in a certain folder, you'd search for an audio file with certain metadata. Apple implemented this on top of a hierarchical file system with iTunes and iPod, and took it even further in iOS, where the file system still existed as a traditional hierarchy but it was hidden from the user and from the application itself; to the user you didn't have MP3 files, you had Songs. Playlists didn't contain paths of files, they contained song identifiers, like in a database. Smart playlists were this ephemeral thing that exists only as the result of a query on the index. Of course, Apple's solution was only a half-solution, and relational file systems did not work out, but iOS Files.app is the first time they have really exposed any kind of a file system hierarchy on iOS, and it's still not a true window into the contents on disk.

To get along with iOS products, you must forget the hierarchical file system, at least as a user. Their goal was, and is, to make it invisible.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 12, 2017

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I am. I think it’s good they aren’t readily available because I’d probably have bought them.

Try Best Buy or another seller. The Apple store app quoted me two weeks to ship a pair and Best Buy had a bunch in stock that very day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gillman posted:

Try Best Buy or another seller. The Apple store app quoted me two weeks to ship a pair and Best Buy had a bunch in stock that very day

That isn’t helping me not buy them!

Yeah bestbuy has them in stock.

I guess my next question is do you think they are going to release an updated version with wireless charging? On the case that is.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 12, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I guess my next question is do you think they are going to release an updated version with wireless charging? On the case that is.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/21/airpods-wireless-charging-case-sold-separate/

You will be able to upgrade to a wireless charging case, apparently. No idea if AirPods will ship with it going forward, after launch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/21/airpods-wireless-charging-case-sold-separate/

You will be able to upgrade to a wireless charging case, apparently. No idea if AirPods will ship with it going forward, after launch.

Hmm good info thanks.

I think I might wait I am a pretty big fan of wireless charging now so I don’t really want to spend an extra $70 on the case.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

LPG Giant posted:

We get someone like you every month or so. Someone who just switched over from Android to iOS and is refusing to change their workflow and insists that the way they want to do things is the best way. That's not really Apple: they think there is a better way and do not allow you to do it differently. If you can't accept that you should switch to Android.

I don't "refuse to change my workflow." It's just that I fly internationally every week. I can't use streaming or anything like that on a loving plane over the Atlantic. I don't need iTunes to play music, I need foobar2000 because this one actually uses ASIO drivers. I'm not subscribing to a cloud service just to transfer 100GB of music on a device that's right in front of me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, I just want to copy the music I own to my device.

If I have to use iTunes, fine, as long as it doesn't reorganize poo poo I don't want it to.

benisntfunny posted:

That’s always been a feature that you can turn off, since forever.

Definitively not forever but it's good to know. Thanks.

Pivo posted:

The history of Apple's decision making with respect to managing your files for you goes back further than iOS. They started it with iPod. When iPod was being developed, relational filesystems were an active research and development topic, most notably Microsoft's WinFS but others too. Many thought the future was not in hierarchical file systems, where location of files mattered - files would be stored as blobs somewhere on disk, and 'exist' only because of their entry in a relational database. You wouldn't go to \Settings\ApplicationFoo, you would SELECT * FROM Settings WHERE Application='Foo'. Not yourself, of course, but that's how the file system would work. You wouldn't search for an MP3 in a certain folder, you'd search for an audio file with certain metadata. Apple implemented this on top of a hierarchical file system with iTunes and iPod, and took it even further in iOS, where the file system still existed as a traditional hierarchy but it was hidden from the user and from the application itself; to the user you didn't have MP3 files, you had Songs. Playlists didn't contain paths of files, they contained song identifiers, like in a database. Smart playlists were this ephemeral thing that exists only as the result of a query on the index. Of course, Apple's solution was only a half-solution, and relational file systems did not work out, but iOS Files.app is the first time they have really exposed any kind of a file system hierarchy on iOS, and it's still not a true window into the contents on disk.

To get along with iOS products, you must forget the hierarchical file system, at least as a user. Their goal was, and is, to make it invisible.

That's actually interesting. Early iPods didn't have a problem (they were detected as external drives just like any USB drive) but at some point they updated the firmware and you had to have iTunes to copy your music. That's how I know, back then, iTunes hosed up my music library once it got access to it. I still remember this hence my reluctance to install it today.

(also, regardless of the filesystem itself, nothing prevents any device of presenting virtual directories where they group files of similar types; ie; .mp3, .aac and .flac under a pretend "Music" directory ; this is what they do on any cloud storage service).

Furism fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 12, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

hasn't authenticated in awhile ~= randomly :confused:
Reread what I wrote. There are two conditions there.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
As mentioned just use Google Play Music and then you won’t have to touch the piece of poo poo that is iTunes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Furism posted:

That's actually interesting. Early iPods didn't have a problem (they were detected as external drives just like any USB drive)

Yes but you couldn't add music this way, as far as I know. I only got on board with Gen 3 though, with the orange backlit buttons above the wheel. I remember it being a complaint about gen 1, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. It was a while ago...

As far as 'messing up your library', I remember the toggle for 'Copy files to iTunes Library' or 'Manage my library' or whatever it's called always being there. But again, maybe misremembering.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

prom candy posted:

Is the blue leather case good looking in person? I'm going with a white face phone. I don't care what this thread thinks, the white face is superior.

I think it looks pretty good. It's dark blue, and similar in color to the blue iPad cover/cases going back to at least the Air 2, if that gives any frame of reference.

Valen fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 12, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iTunes won't touch your music on install unless you allow it to. When it gets to the point of asking to search your computer for music, just tell it to gently caress off.

And even if you did allow it to, I'm pretty sure it won't mess with the source files. Instead it copies tracks into its own sandbox so you have multiple copies of the songs on your machine. But I guess I haven't actually tested that in a long rear end time so maybe don't try.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Streaming services let you download music for offline listening

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

bigis posted:

As mentioned just use Google Play Music and then you won’t have to touch the piece of poo poo that is iTunes.

Sorry, I thought you were jesting. Are you saying if I install the Google Play Music app I can copy local files to an iPhone just like with iTunes?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

illcendiary posted:

Streaming services let you download music for offline listening

Why should I buy my music again? I ripped 100+ CDs I already paid for, or bought music online. Ok I'm an old fart who likes lossless audio too much, sue me. I thought Apple was all about artists and stuff.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

xzzy posted:

iTunes won't touch your music on install unless you allow it to. When it gets to the point of asking to search your computer for music, just tell it to gently caress off.

And even if you did allow it to, I'm pretty sure it won't mess with the source files. Instead it copies tracks into its own sandbox so you have multiple copies of the songs on your machine. But I guess I haven't actually tested that in a long rear end time so maybe don't try.

Yes I just went through the hoops and, unlike what I remembered, it doesn't mess with your local files at all by default now.

Sorry for the multiple posts, got a bunch of responses as I was typing mine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

LOL @ organizing your own media libraries in 2017.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Cant you just install vlc then drag and drop through the app within itunes?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

withak posted:

LOL @ organizing your own media libraries in 2017.

Some people are nerds and use this. Please keep explaining how to correctly use my personal computer :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Honestly not trying to be snippy or a dick, I think you bought the wrong phone. If you have a particular way you like to do things iOS is not the ecosystem for you, unless the particular way you like to do things is the way Apple wants you to do them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah good call.

"I want to copy some files to my phone and not gently caress with my music" == "bought the wrong phone"

Some real solid logic there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
[quote="“track day bro!”" post="“477305127”"]
Cant you just install vlc then drag and drop through the app within itunes?
[/quote]

Or just set up the server in the app and transfer through a browser on your network.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

we all have stockholm syndrome because some of us have had to deal with iTunes for over a decade. 14 years, for me.

with WiFi Sync i mostly don't have to think about it anymore, just add files to the library and they wind up on my phone eventually.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The keyboard has inverted colours when I 3d touch to reply to a message on my lockscreen. What's up with that and how do I fix it?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I think that's just the way it is. I've never figured out why or when the dark keyboard shows up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

The keyboard has inverted colours when I 3d touch to reply to a message on my lockscreen. What's up with that and how do I fix it?

Definitely a bug, I'm getting it sometimes as well on a 6s+

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Convert all your precious flac into alac, put them into iTunes, listen away.

No one cares that foobar2000 uses ASIO drivers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y'all if you want to just drag and drop music (and video), check out Waltr. It's not free, but it's dead easy to use and works flawlessly.

https://softorino.com/waltr/

(And this is the second time I've recommended this in threads. I don't work for them or anything - I just like the product.)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

[quote="“Furism”" post="“477304282”"]
I don’t “refuse to change my workflow.” It’s just that I fly internationally every week. I can’t use streaming or anything like that on a loving plane over the Atlantic. I don’t need iTunes to play music, I need foobar2000 because this one actually uses ASIO drivers. I’m not subscribing to a cloud service just to transfer 100GB of music on a device that’s right in front of me. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, I just want to copy the music I own to my device.

If I have to use iTunes, fine, as long as it doesn’t reorganize poo poo I don’t want it to.
[/quote]

I see the Mac thread's prediction that everyone here would call you a crazy idiot for wanting this was wholly correct. Anyway, yes, Waltr is good.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Google Music does exactly what he wants why is this such an issue. gently caress iTunes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I think OPs concern is that he will need to upload all of it and not just copy. Which based on his library size will suck and take time. But otherwise, yes, google music is the answer completely. He can use his beets library and have a plugin to send it to Gmusic also but it will take some time to upload.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pzy posted:

Convert all your precious flac into alac, put them into iTunes, listen away.

No one cares that foobar2000 uses ASIO drivers

What the gently caress is an ASIO driver anyway?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I use Apple Music for 99% but if a rapper puts out a mixtape or a band does something that's download only, I slap it into Google Music. gently caress connecting my phone to anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

I use Apple Music for 99% but if a rapper puts out a mixtape or a band does something that's download only, I slap it into Google Music. gently caress connecting my phone to anything.

You don't need to connect your phone to put music on Apple Music. Just bring it into iTunes and it'll be in your iCloud music library on your phone. I do this all the time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't need to connect your phone to put music on Apple Music. Just bring it into iTunes and it'll be in your iCloud music library on your phone. I do this all the time.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about iTunes Match which is something you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

What the gently caress is an ASIO driver anyway?

talk to the audio hardware driver directly by sending it a bitstream, usually people want this for low latency in real time music applications, sometimes it gets around weird bugs when trying to stream your flawless 91241238524 bit way-past-human-hearing kHz sampling rate files to a dedicated soundcard

on Windows, basically skips DirectSound layer