Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i don't really watch these speedrun things but aren't you obligated to power through your fuckups and keep going until the run is complete regardless of whether or not your time is going to be screwed up

Super Metroid has no autosaves. If you die you go back to the beginning of the game since they skip all the save points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

It's a race so theres no reason to start over if you die. Also they don't ever save

what if the guy you're racing dies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Then they would probably just stop the block due to scheduling

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If they never reach the end of the game do the animals still die?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it was the year before this one that three of the runners died to ridley/mother brain and the guy who was in fourth went on to win. that one was good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Training posted:

It's a race so theres no reason to start over if you die. Also they don't ever save

They sound like a bunch of scrubs to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

If they never reach the end of the game do the animals still die?

presumably they're safe since samus doesn't trigger the autodestruct

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Using science, I've determined the best race was actually the recent 10 v 1 Super Mario 64 run.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best race was Tropical Freeze and everyone should watch it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only videogames i watch, are the ones im playing,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Who would ever vote to kill these cute lil' buggers, they teach you how to wall jump

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah that would be helpful if it hadn't figured out how to wall jump 36 years before i ever found those guys

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

are you really that old grandpa

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not many people can claim to have figured out the wall-jump in galaga, but i was the first

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

not many people can claim to have figured out the wall-jump in galaga, but i was the first

But you can, and you say it outloud everyday to people in your college class?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

But is it gah-LAH-gah or GA-lah-gah.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

yeah that would be helpful if it hadn't figured out how to wall jump 36 years before i ever found those guys

I'm going to call BS on this one. Knowing how to wall jump in modern games only makes it harder in Super Metroid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

:stonk:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's Galaxian

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's pronounced "Ace Combat 14"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That reminds me, the whole reason I bought Ace Combat 4 back in the day was because of a kiosk playing the game in a Toys 'R Us and how loving amazing it looked.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

gai-lah-gai

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

actually it's Garaga :rolleyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But is it a hard or soft G

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

gai-lah-gai

Gay le Gay would be a very different type of game, but one that I would be interested in seeing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

But is it a hard or soft G

it's the same sound as in "garage" or "luggage"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Will Battlefront 2 finally be the game that flies too close to the loot box sun?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

Will Battlefront 2 finally be the game that flies too close to the loot box sun?

Nah there's too much hype surrounding it for it to fail.

I honestly don't believe there's a breaking point for loot boxes. A decade ago we thought they'd push DLC too hard but now there's games with thousands of dollars worth of dlc and there's certainly somebody buying it all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Star Citizen has shown us that fleecing nerds for all they're worth is really quite easy, and the most disastrous move is to actually try making a game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Star Citizen is a good example because it shows that if you fleece em hard enough they'll band together and obsess over your every action, but they'll never learn from their actions and inevitably buy into the next perfect space game they see.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfQwZESpVug

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I'm running a Games forum sheep game and VideoGames recommended I mention it in here so here it is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no thanks i already own sheep game on steam

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I'm running a Games forum sheep game and VideoGames recommended I mention it in here so here it is.

These are always good fun, thanks for making it happen!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

They did them for all the Halo games, and they just kept getting bigger and crazier. I ended up going to most of the NYC ones because at the time I was really involved with the Bungie fandom.

The Halo 2 event was held at the big Toys'r'Us in Times Square (rip) and while they didn't have any military vehicles yet they did run trailers on the billboards and a guerrilla marketing guy gave me a free Plantronics Xbox Live headset on condition that I also wear a Plantronics hat.

The Halo 3 event was held at the Best Buy near Bryant Park, and there they actually did have someone build a real-life Mongoose and drive it down 5th Avenue. I was too far back in the line to get a good look, but I heard the announcer get real excited about it. That was also where I first tried Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel and holy poo poo that stuff is disgusting.

The Halo Reach event was in a theater in Times Square. Kid Cudi was supposed to perform but he never showed up. I always thought he had scored an early copy of the game and bailed on us all to play it, then felt bad about thinking this a few years later when he revealed his history with depression.

And yeah, no one really does this any more. Way cheaper to mail boxes to a few dozen top streamers than to throw a big party somewhere.

These days lots of people buy digital so there's no reason to even go to a store, or interact with other nerds on release day.

Its all just twitch streams, yeah.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chumbler posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/mircrotransaction-and-dlc-have-tripled-the-value-of-the-game-industry/

loving the typo "mircrotransaction" in both the url and the article title btw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/mircrotransaction-and-dlc-have-tripled-the-value-of-the-game-industry/

loving the typo "mircrotransaction" in both the url and the article title btw

I hate consumers

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gamers are the perfect consumers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

no thanks i already own sheep game on steam

I got it on PS1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have definitively completely given up on finishing Breath of the Wild to play Shadow of War instead. So...

Motto posted:

Gamers are the perfect consumers

In Training posted:

I hate consumers

Yeah.

• Locked thread