Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Colonel Zechs, he is a CHAR indeed.

That aside, I can definitely see the Wing parallels with five sexy dudes manning at-times undefeatable Gundams. But SEED's a far worse offender in being a Gundam Wing ripoff (right down to the pacifist nation hogwash) than 00 ever was. At least in 00 the governments are reasonably competent. Later, they become frighteningly competent once the Innovades manage to unify them and control them like a puppet state. Graham is also a cool semi-antagonist, and Ali Al-Saachez does a serviceable job being the Big Bad who dumpsters the Gundam pilots, especially once he gets his hands on their technology.

I agree that S2 is blah compared to S1, but it's nowhere near the same drop in quality as I saw between Code Geass and Code Geass R2.

Gundam SEED isn't a wing ripoff at all. It's a pretty blunt original Gundam knockoff. The SEED Gundams aren't super robots, they're just "what if the original Gundam also ended up in Zeon's hands" the bulk of the similarities outside of that are things Wing borrows from original Gundam too.

00 is a lot more like Wing to the point it's a running joke in SRW that Heero and Setsuna are best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

tsob posted:

If what he's looking for is dark then he'll probably want to avoid 08th MS Team, just because someone kept replacing the director's copy of All Quiet on the Western Front with Romeo & Juilet, so it keeps setting up pragmatic and gritty grunt things but interrupting them for melodramatics and star crossed lovers.

Oh, I wasn't saying the 08th MS Team was particularly dark, I was just saying it's kind of stand alone and you don't need to watch MSG to understand it.

You don't need to watch MSG to understand 0080: War in the Pocket either, but that one is legitimately pretty dark. And really good. It's one of my favorite things ever to come out of the Gundam franchise. Gundam typically has strong anti-war themes, but is often very preachy about it. 0080 isn't preachy and drives home that theme better than anything else in the franchise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

right down to the pacifist nation hogwash

Orb wasn't pacifist, they had a policy of non-aggression, as part of being a blindingly obvious Japan analogy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

00 is a lot more like Wing to the point it's a running joke in SRW that Heero and Setsuna are best friends.

I imagine their dialog is a collection of ...s and hmmms.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You don't need to watch MSG to understand 0080: War in the Pocket either, but that one is legitimately pretty dark. And really good. It's one of my favorite things ever to come out of the Gundam franchise. Gundam typically has strong anti-war themes, but is often very preachy about it. 0080 isn't preachy and drives home that theme better than anything else in the franchise.

If there's one lesson that all gundam writers should take from 0080 is that you have to show not tell.

So much of the lesser gundam shows are about how war is bad, but never shows the consequences of war. Destiny talks about how bad war is, but the civilian deaths are at best an afterthought. The bad guys like the earth alliance are cartoonish villains. Some gundam shows really have a hard time making the other side sympathetic characters, which completely undercuts it's core message.

0080 was good in that it both shows how war negatively effects characters and makes the character sympathetic. Al's school gets destroyed. Then Bernie and Christina are shown to be sympathetic people trapped in a bad situation. There's no big lecture about how lovely war is. I'll take that over Banagher yelling about understanding to a women who's butchering thousands of civilians any day.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 12, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I imagine their dialog is a collection of ...s and hmmms.

There is a line of dialogue which involves Setsuna explaining to Heero that Heero too is Gundam and Heero is flattered by it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There is a line of dialogue which involves Setsuna explaining to Heero that Heero too is Gundam and Heero is flattered by it.

that's amazing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
SEED Destiny's entire premise was this at first, then they retconned Kira being responsible for Shinn's family's death because Kira Is Jesus

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

If there's one lesson that all gundam writers should take from 0080 is that you have to show not tell.

So much of the lesser gundam shows are about how war is bad, but never shows the consequences of war. Destiny talks about how bad war is, but the civilian deaths are at best an afterthought. The bad guys like the earth alliance are cartoonish villains. Some gundam shows really have a hard time making the other side sympathetic characters, which completely undercuts it's core message.

0080 was good in that it both shows how war negatively effects characters and makes the character sympathetic. Al's school gets destroyed. Then Bernie and Christina are shown to be sympathetic people trapped in a bad situation. There's no big lecture about how lovely war is. I'll take that over Banagher yelling about understanding to a women who's butchering thousands of civilians any day.

"Show not tell" is kind of like, a basic storytelling rule, honestly.

I think 0080 gets ignored a lot. Which is a shame, because I really love that series. It's probably because its protagonist is a little kid who doesn't pilot a robot and there's very few fight scenes in it. A lot of people really do just want a bunch of cool looking robots and explosions and that's all they take away from Gundam.

My own personal Gundam story is that I saw Gundam Wing, liked the show, then got Gundam: Rise of the Ashes on the Dreamcast for Christmas. I was really confused that it wasn't based on Wing but liked it anyway. Then I got this pojo guide to Gundam and learned there was a bunch of Gundam shows made before Wing. So I asked my parents to order the MSG movie trilogy and 0080 on VHS from somewhere. I liked Gundam before, but when I got those, that's when I truly fell in love with the series. Not long after that, they aired those plus the 08th MS Team and 0083 on Toonami. So even as a 13 year old I knew that the Universal Century was the best Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think 0080 gets ignored a lot. Which is a shame, because I really love that series. It's probably because its protagonist is a little kid who doesn't pilot a robot and there's very few fight scenes in it. A lot of people really do just want a bunch of cool looking robots and explosions and that's all they take away from Gundam.

My own personal Gundam story is that I saw Gundam Wing, liked the show, then got Gundam: Rise of the Ashes on the Dreamcast for Christmas. I was really confused that it wasn't based on Wing but liked it anyway. Then I got this pojo guide to Gundam and learned there was a bunch of Gundam shows made before Wing. So I asked my parents to order the MSG movie trilogy and 0080 on VHS from somewhere. I liked Gundam before, but when I got those, that's when I truly fell in love with the series. Not long after that, they aired those plus the 08th MS Team and 0083 on Toonami. So even as a 13 year old I knew that the Universal Century was the best Gundam.

0080 doesn't get ignored a lot. Almost everyone praises it unanimously except for some people who hate the fight scenes. It's a well-liked show, it just is pretty old at this point and criticism tends to outlast praise.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I started watching Gundam with 0083 and it didn't really grab me as series until I watched G-Gundam, followed by Gundam Wing and 08th Ms Team. Starting with 0083 and G-Gundam was probably the best since I was totally unprepared for Wing's utterly crazy fandom; that experience definitely soured me on talking about Gundam with people for years and checking out some of the series I really like, like Zeta, Turn-A and the MSG trilogy. To be fair though there was a definite gender divide in Gundam stuff which definitely contributed to the insanity.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know it's a basic rule, it is just amazing how many gundam shows seem to forget this and thinking that having characters yell "why can't we understand one another" is sufficient.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I started watching Gundam with 0083 and it didn't really grab me as series until I watched G-Gundam, followed by Gundam Wing and 08th Ms Team. Starting with 0083 and G-Gundam was probably the best since I was totally unprepared for Wing's utterly crazy fandom; that experience definitely soured me on talking about Gundam with people for years and checking out some of the series I really like, like Zeta, Turn-A and the MSG trilogy. To be fair though there was a definite gender divide in Gundam stuff which definitely contributed to the insanity.

You say that, but Gundam's early fandom was disproportionately female, and it was the female fans who sustained the franchise after the first show's shaky reception.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how thunderbolt undercuts the "can't we get along" speech between Cornelius and Carla by having some less charitable GM jockey use the opportunity to vaporize the zeon suicide pact

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

You say that, but Gundam's early fandom was disproportionately female, and it was the female fans who sustained the franchise after the first show's shaky reception.

True and the Japanese side definitely seems like it was chill. My experience when I first got into Gundam was with English speaking female side of Gundam fandom and with Gundam Wing (and Seed, for a bit) in particular and that was absolutely a crazy kettle of crazy fish. I'd probably enjoyed it a lot more and found way chiller places if I had been over 13.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I know it's a basic rule, it is just amazing how many gundam shows seem to forget this and thinking that having characters yell "why can't we understand one another" is sufficient.

That said, having characters debate philosophy in the middle of robot fights is practically a Gundam tradition at this point.

Darth Walrus posted:

Are we talking in the West or in Japan? Like Harry Potter, Gundam Wing was like catnip for fanfic writing nerd girls. They love the crap out of yaoi.

If we're talking the original Gundam, I thought it didn't really gain popularity until they started releasing model kits and gunpla caught on. The only pretty boys in the original are Char and Garma. Someone told me that some people consider Amuro to be one too and that one kinda puzzles me because Amuro is an antisocial nerd and not exactly a stud.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, having characters debate philosophy in the middle of robot fights is practically a Gundam tradition at this point.
Showing characters have a philosophical debate is perfectly valid storytelling. Gundam never does it very well, but the objective itself they're going for in those scenes is fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best scene in Gundam was Wufei challenging Treize how many soldiers died for him, and then Treize rattling off every single name immediately

fight me

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tae posted:

The best scene in Gundam was Wufei challenging Treize how many soldiers died for him, and then Treize rattling off every single name immediately

fight me
I take back what I said, this one was good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

fight me

I will because that's not what happens. He just gives an accurate number.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think he asks Une for the latest number and lists some names. But I choose to believe he memorized all of them up to just before the battle, because Treize is great and owning Wufei is also great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

I will because that's not what happens. He just gives an accurate number.

He then calls Une to check to see if the number has gone up, she says how many soldiers are died and asks if he wants their names. He says he'll get them later. Which implies that he knows all their names

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

I think he asks Une for the latest number and lists some names. But I choose to believe he memorized all of them up to just before the battle, because Treize is great and owning Wufei is also great.

I hate Wufei and watching him just sputter and get mad at Treize's response is the best.

Treize is by far the best thing about wing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Same but Relena.

gently caress you, mobile suit, get off my lawn. gently caress you, high ranking military official, I'm going to rip a gun out of a soldier's holster and fire at you at a crowded gala.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

About six or ten pages back we had the 'worst character in Gundam' discussion.

I told you it was Wufei.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

I was gonna ask how that works since Heero is very abusive to his Gundam but then I remembered he talks to Wing Zero so it makes a lot of sense

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Same but Relena.

gently caress you, mobile suit, get off my lawn. gently caress you, high ranking military official, I'm going to rip a gun out of a soldier's holster and fire at you at a crowded gala.

You think your bunker is safe and I'm a good hostage? gently caress you, blow us all away Heero.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lessail posted:

I was gonna ask how that works since Heero is very abusive to his Gundam but then I remembered he talks to Wing Zero so it makes a lot of sense

They all talk to their Gundams in some way in Wing. Nataku is Wufei's only friend after all because only the cold unfeeling heart of a murder machine can tolerate him for long.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Remember when Wufei's colony blew itself up rather than let him come back?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Remember when Wufei's colony blew itself up rather than let him come back?

a hard choice to be sure but you can't fault them for their decision

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Wufei's dead wife deserved better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wufei's dead wife deserved better.

She got better.

After all, even death is a preferable alternative to Wufei.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Thunderbolt looks cool but gently caress everyone that told me to watch Victory. This kind of hazing is unacceptable in a modern society.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Gammatron 64 posted:

If we're talking the original Gundam, I thought it didn't really gain popularity until they started releasing model kits and gunpla caught on. The only pretty boys in the original are Char and Garma. Someone told me that some people consider Amuro to be one too and that one kinda puzzles me because Amuro is an antisocial nerd and not exactly a stud.

Its been mentioned in interviews that women would be waiting outside the voice recording studio waiting for them to come out to get autographs and how that blew their minds at the time and any event was 95 women to 10 guys. Boys didn't get interested until gunpla, but women were there from the start. One of the main attractions to Amuro isn't that he's a stud or a pretty boy, though no doubt there are people that consider him one, its that he is a nice boy they want to look after and protect from all the bad poo poo he goes through.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JBP posted:

Thunderbolt looks cool but gently caress everyone that told me to watch Victory. This kind of hazing is unacceptable in a modern society.

The first season of thunderbolt is very good and self contained. The second season not so much. It's still decent, but they definitely slashed the budget in places and it's nowhere near as coherent due to being a prelude to a larger story.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Thunderbolt: December Sky worked super well as a standalone movie, and I showed it to several friends who had never seen gundam before and they liked it

The second season was kinda neat, I guess? It feels more like watching gundam thunderbolt 2: part 1 than a proper full season. It didn't feel as strong or complete thematically/conceptually, and more like I was just watching plot events happen

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is there a gundam versus thread over in games? thinking about throwing together one in a couple days if not

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

is there a gundam versus thread over in games? thinking about throwing together one in a couple days if not

There is one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

Hey now victory is 2/3s of a great show it just kind of peters out later on.