Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjve9q/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-orc-slavery-lord-of-the-rings

quote:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is amazing. Middle-earth: Shadow of War is terrible. Horza the Dead taught me that. I love him and I hope I have the strength to let him go. To let him get some well-earned rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

So I was just traveling around and saw a lone Captain wandering about, so I decided to kill him because why not? I kill him easily enough, then I start walking away when dead Captain's blood brother appears all of a sudden and attacks. Fair enough I suppose, so I get to fighting him when another Captain ambushes me because why not? Two against me is a bit tough but I've dealt with worse, when suddenly as I start dealing with these two dudes an Olog with a flamethrower comes out of the bushes complaining how I killed his guard. Turns out he's a Warchief. So now I'm fight two Captains and a Warchief and a horde of smaller orcs. I somehow managed to win with smart use of explosive barrels. This is the best game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh man, when you've used up a last-chance move, and the orc is moving in for a kill, getting rescued by a dude out of nowhere is the best.

He just slips in, shanks the orc, and is all "I got your back, bro."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is good stuff. I love playing these games, but sometimes they make me feel really bad about my actions.

That's probably why I love them so much--they are immersive, emotionally, in a way that very very few games pull off. It's not just excitement or satisfaction that I feel, but it's also anger and shame and even a bit moral confusion. These are virtual orcs, why should I feel bad about what I do to them? But sometimes I feel bad anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

That, AND I can’t stand how stiff the cloaks look. This is 2017.

I swear to god it looked better in the previous game, idk how that's possible

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh man, when you've used up a last-chance move, and the orc is moving in for a kill, getting rescued by a dude out of nowhere is the best.

He just slips in, shanks the orc, and is all "I got your back, bro."

I got one yesterday that was almost exactly like the first gameplay trailer we got.
I tried to take on a uruk that was almost 20 levels higher than me and he unsurprisingly decimated me. As i was about to be killed i just see his head explode from a crossbow bolt and the camera pans to my mainest man up on a nearby ledge and he goes "that's no way to die boss". I love that uruk :shobon:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

These orcs are a Vince McMahon away from forming their own wrestling federation, and I'm loving every second of it. The captains with a hype man crack me up every time.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
So I finally managed to download and install the game (Jesus Christ, who the gently caress thought a 100 GB game was a good idea!?) but I've ran into a pretty weird bug: for some reason my aspect ratio is fixed to 16:9, even though I have a 16:10 monitor. I've already tried to force a resolution through the config, but I don't think that works. Anyone have any idea how t solve this, I really want to get my Orc murdering on!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Blackunknown posted:

So I was just traveling around and saw a lone Captain wandering about, so I decided to kill him because why not? I kill him easily enough, then I start walking away when dead Captain's blood brother appears all of a sudden and attacks. Fair enough I suppose, so I get to fighting him when another Captain ambushes me because why not? Two against me is a bit tough but I've dealt with worse, when suddenly as I start dealing with these two dudes an Olog with a flamethrower comes out of the bushes complaining how I killed his guard. Turns out he's a Warchief. So now I'm fight two Captains and a Warchief and a horde of smaller orcs. I somehow managed to win with smart use of explosive barrels. This is the best game.

It’s these never ending chains of hilarious nemesising that really cements this as the roflstomp that it is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

[quote="“SettingSun”" post="“477313289”"]
These orcs are a Vince McMahon away from forming their own wrestling federation, and I’m loving every second of it. The captains with a hype man crack me up every time.
[/quote]

Oh gently caress now I desperately need a wrestling game with the nemesis system and procedurally generated wrestler looks, gimmicks, theme songs. NEED.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh gently caress now I desperately need a wrestling game with the nemesis system and procedurally generated wrestler looks, gimmicks, theme songs. NEED.

Use a skill point to add a flame/frost/poison effect to your crotch chops

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DLC Inc posted:

I swear to god it looked better in the previous game, idk how that's possible

They need to start using those cape physics that Nvidia made for Arkham Origins. It actually behaved like fabric and was pretty good about not glitching out an clipping through things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kilometers Davis posted:

But you're still wandering around Mordor and Spider City and ancient castles and such

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know how to resurrect a captain? Got the skill, got a dead captain, standing over him and pressing the resurrect button doesn't work, so not sure what else to do?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Man, Carnan is really weird and spooky. I like her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nessin posted:

Anyone know how to resurrect a captain? Got the skill, got a dead captain, standing over him and pressing the resurrect button doesn't work, so not sure what else to do?

You do it from the army menu, not in the open world.

Also I think they had to be branded before death.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, what's the best way to deliberately inflict poison on an enemy? I found some set that buffs my poisoning and have met a couple captains weak to poison, so now I'm wondering. Still in Act 1, if that's relevant.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

I hate the upgrade system. I want arkham style upgrades to make me a god over time and make my combos and skills crazy strong

Except now I gotta choose only 1 upgrade per skill

Why even bother spending points at all

I feel like you become a god regardless. I like the skill system, you can still buy all the upgrades, just only one active at a time, which makes for a variety of loadouts and the ability to tailor your upgrades for a mission based on intel and weaknesses.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I really wanted to like this game, but after about 15 hours I uninstalled it. I only rented it because I wasn't sure if it was a purchase for me, and I'm glad I did.

There's just too much bloat and dumb design decisions that make it worse than the first one (which I loved). Having to beat captains multiple times to be able to dominate them is dumb (you have to shame them to lower their level because you can't dominate captains higher level than you). That is such a dumb decision to make you fight captains two or three times to dominate them. BUT YOU CAN SKIP HAVING TO DO IT IF YOU BUY PACKS! It's just another design choice that pushes players to buying those stupid packs.

The level system is also dumb. It just feels tacked on as another progression system that doesn't need to be there. The fight pit mini-game being the only way to upgrade keeps is a boring chore. Your captains will regularly fight other orcs 5 or 6 levels higher and get slaughtered. So you could spend an hour or so doing poo poo to level them up, BUT YOU CAN SKIP HAVING TO DO IT IF YOU BUY PACKS!

The combat system somehow feels slower and worse than the first one. Getting into big fights with multiple Captains and Olog-hai is just a dodge button mashing fest. I have had so many fights so far where I'm against two trolls, two captains, and a bunch of ranged orcs and all I can do it dodge around the whole time. I take a poo poo ton of damage since my random gear drops have sucked, BUT YOU GET BETTER GEAR IF YOU BUY PACKS!

All in all, this game feels worse than the first one, and I'm going to skip it for now. It's got some fun in there, but finding it is proving to be really annoying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Perestroika posted:

So, what's the best way to deliberately inflict poison on an enemy? I found some set that buffs my poisoning and have met a couple captains weak to poison, so now I'm wondering. Still in Act 1, if that's relevant.

There are skill upgrades that let you inflict it for might. Also some daggers and swords will give the ability to inflict it on regular hits.

bear is driving! posted:

I really wanted to like this game, but after about 15 hours I uninstalled it. I only rented it because I wasn't sure if it was a purchase for me, and I'm glad I did.

There's just too much bloat and dumb design decisions that make it worse than the first one (which I loved). Having to beat captains multiple times to be able to dominate them is dumb (you have to shame them to lower their level because you can't dominate captains higher level than you). That is such a dumb decision to make you fight captains two or three times to dominate them. BUT YOU CAN SKIP HAVING TO DO IT IF YOU BUY PACKS! It's just another design choice that pushes players to buying those stupid packs.

The level system is also dumb. It just feels tacked on as another progression system that doesn't need to be there. The fight pit mini-game being the only way to upgrade keeps is a boring chore. Your captains will regularly fight other orcs 5 or 6 levels higher and get slaughtered. So you could spend an hour or so doing poo poo to level them up, BUT YOU CAN SKIP HAVING TO DO IT IF YOU BUY PACKS!

The combat system somehow feels slower and worse than the first one. Getting into big fights with multiple Captains and Olog-hai is just a dodge button mashing fest. I have had so many fights so far where I'm against two trolls, two captains, and a bunch of ranged orcs and all I can do it dodge around the whole time. I take a poo poo ton of damage since my random gear drops have sucked, BUT YOU GET BETTER GEAR IF YOU BUY PACKS!

All in all, this game feels worse than the first one, and I'm going to skip it for now. It's got some fun in there, but finding it is proving to be really annoying.

What are you even talking about here? Levelling captains is absolutely trivial, any successful Nemesis mission will bring them up 7-10 levels and they take like 2 minutes.

Also you very quickly start outlevelling random captains. I never had to shame after my third region to recruit someone and I never bought a lootbox.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 12, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bonds0097 posted:

I feel like you become a god regardless. I like the skill system, you can still buy all the upgrades, just only one active at a time, which makes for a variety of loadouts and the ability to tailor your upgrades for a mission based on intel and weaknesses.

It's pretty sweet that the skills aren't tied to level either, so if you want one in particular you can beeline towards it.

Still in the starting area, and went straight for the bow-teleport skill.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zore posted:

What are you even talking about here? Levelling captains is absolutely trivial, any successful Nemesis mission will bring them up 7-10 levels and they take like 2 minutes.

Also you very quickly start outlevelling random captains. I never had to shame after my third region to recruit someone and I never bought a lootbox.
Sounds like he watched someone else play it. Also has no idea how lootboxes work. I am still at Act 1 with a 15% exp boost and going through captain missions giving me 2000-7000. I am waiting out my skill points until the storyline advances.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Look, he's going to be mad about microtransactions regardless, so just let him be mad about microtransactions. Sorry you didn't like a really fun game, dude, maybe you'll come back to it and enjoy it later!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nechronic posted:

Man, Carnan is really weird and spooky. I like her.

But my loooooore

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Emron posted:

Look, he's going to be mad about microtransactions regardless, so just let him be mad about microtransactions. Sorry you didn't like a really fun game, dude, maybe you'll come back to it and enjoy it later!

Some people are just enraged by fun

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pffft...lore. That was thrown out the window long ago. I'm a super LotR nerd but this game is awesome. It's like a blender of a bunch of What If? scenarios. What if someone had the power to match Sauron? What if you met an Entwife? What if there was another One Ring? What if Shelob was a hot chick? It rules.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Alright, two combinations of orc abilities/skills/traits I'm not sure how to beat, specifically

Slayer (the guys who counter you if you attack them from in front) who are frost-proof and thus immune to the games suggestion of stunning them by pressing E and have no fear you can exploit. Sure you can potentially get them through other means, like fire, but you can't get more than one or two hits at them between dodges to build up might. And captain's with shields and the same immunity with the vault counter.

Those two combinations, along with the hunters who can apparently dodge 90% of all your hits all the time, are just so loving stupid and annoying to fight. They're not challenging, they just take forever because you can't build up any might or rage to use your skills.

Edit:
And those combinations weren't a problem at the low levels with low health. Once you hit 45+ be prepared to sit fighting a guy for 5 minutes who a slight mis-step can eat half your health in a single shot.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
running into the same orc 3-4 times is designed to instill a sense of futility in the player, forcing them to buy a way out of the groundhog day orc murder scenario they've become stuck in

the very fabric of time slows and warps as they play the game, slowing the action to a crawl. "LOOTBOX" the gamer screams, caught in WB's web of financial terror

what's lootbox in Tolkien Elvish?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

esquilax posted:

It's in that menu above the blank community challenge.

I'm pretty sure it gets unlocked during the main story quests. Not sure when it happens but definitely by the time you have conquered your first fortress and unlocked region travel

this would probably be why as I'm... *checks* 7 hours in and still in Act 1.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Twist And Pout! posted:

what's lootbox in Tolkien Elvish?

And the Cambridge Dictionary says:

Coincidence ? Elves tend to be wise.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

nessin posted:

Alright, two combinations of orc abilities/skills/traits I'm not sure how to beat, specifically

Slayer (the guys who counter you if you attack them from in front) who are frost-proof and thus immune to the games suggestion of stunning them by pressing E and have no fear you can exploit. Sure you can potentially get them through other means, like fire, but you can't get more than one or two hits at them between dodges to build up might. And captain's with shields and the same immunity with the vault counter.

Those two combinations, along with the hunters who can apparently dodge 90% of all your hits all the time, are just so loving stupid and annoying to fight. They're not challenging, they just take forever because you can't build up any might or rage to use your skills.

Edit:
And those combinations weren't a problem at the low levels with low health. Once you hit 45+ be prepared to sit fighting a guy for 5 minutes who a slight mis-step can eat half your health in a single shot.

There's a double jump upgrade that lets you teleport for focus. Let's you go right behind the vault immune shield guys. Also works pretty well on the slayer dudes.

But the dodging dudes are real annoying. I had one that I couldn't attack and he would use a flashbomb and ninjutsu away from me if I was close as well. I had to chase him halfway across the map to eventually kill him with grog explosions and stealth attacks.

E: Thank you Hammerstein. If only I was talented I would create a mod to replace all of Celebrimbor's domination/shame lines with various elven phrases about opening and purchasing lootboxes.

Twist And Pout! fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The lootbox store is dumb bullshit, but I'm 11 hours in and so far have managed to completely ignore the store without ever wanting to use it.

EDIT: also the entire point of the Nemesis system is that you get to develop relationships and rivalries with notable captains, which is why the game comes up with lots of excuses for you to fight them more than once and shamelessly brings them back from the dead even when you've murdered the gently caress out of them.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 12, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Twist And Pout! posted:

There's a double jump upgrade that lets you teleport for focus. Let's you go right behind the vault immune shield guys. Also works pretty well on the slayer dudes.

But the dodging dudes are real annoying. I had one that I couldn't attack and he would use a flashbomb and ninjutsu away from me if I was close as well. I had to chase him halfway across the map to eventually kill him with grog explosions and stealth attacks.

E: Thank you Hammerstein. If only I was talented I would create a mod to replace all of Celebrimbor's domination/shame lines with various elven phrases about opening and purchasing lootboxes.

I've found the dodge teleport doesn't work all that well. Even with a large focus ring I've only got enough focus to do it 5-6 times every refill and they turn around after a couple hits so you barely gain anything over dodging to the side.

Edit:

Voyager I posted:

EDIT: also the entire point of the Nemesis system is that you get to develop relationships and rivalries with notable captains, which is why the game comes up with lots of excuses for you to fight them more than once and shamelessly brings them back from the dead even when you've murdered the gently caress out of them.

In my experience, more often than not the game completely fails at this. For example, I got connected to the first Ork I dominated (after Bruz). Put him as a castle commander, came back to the map in Act 4 and built him up to a max level guy, even spent a training thing on him. What happens? The second I have him built up and put back in charge of the fortress I go to level another character, kill an officer in a nemesis mission to build that other guys level, and apparently the game decided to randomly roll a said new officer (which didn't exist at the time I originally dominated the first ork) as a blood brother to my fortress commander. Bam, instant ambush from my original character I'd built up and I had to kill him just because the game gave him Iron Will over it.

That wasn't fun, interesting, or engaging. It was a lot of wasted time, including my own free training item, and effort to engage with that ork over a random die roll that makes no sense.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 12, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You have arrows, allies and stealth as well. A lot of times those are the answer against combat monsters

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zore posted:

You have arrows, allies and stealth as well. A lot of times those are the answer against combat monsters

Stealth only works in certain scenarios. If you're ambushed, the guy you're fighting wasn't your mission target, or even if he was and you go to stealth away and they decided to retreat or you get too far, then oh well, he'll disappear/despawn. Arrow-proof is also a very common trait in my game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

nessin posted:

Stealth only works in certain scenarios. If you're ambushed, the guy you're fighting wasn't your mission target, or even if he was and you go to stealth away and they decided to retreat or you get too far, then oh well, he'll disappear/despawn. Arrow-proof is also a very common trait in my game.

Summoning a big Olog tends to solve most of my issues. They basically stunlock smaller orcs most of the time which lets you get a ton of hits in

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just had a dude who was probably my first death show up in Golgoroth yelling at about how I've traveled so far but he's still gonna kill my rear end. Of course I shamed him made I'm deranged. Serves him right for thinking he could leave his hometown and get me.

I love this game so drat much.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If you havent got this game and just wanna see a guy who looked forward to it play this game, I recommend Jerma 985. Hes a funny guy and plays the game like a complete idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW3G3YHRvnk

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Does GMG still have the largest discount? I missed out on that 38% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just finished all the Bruz quests and (spoiler for the entire Bruz questline, don't read if you haven't finished it) i feel so loving bad, i have never felt so bad in a game before. I tracked him down and ended his misery all while he was crying "i never wanted the fort". I have to stop and take a break here. Hope he doesn't come back, but i made sure to kill him with poison just in case so i feel maximum bad about it if he does, HEHE.

• Locked thread