Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Aztec skit was pretty much the best Lucoa gag.

Well, it was pretty much the only one that didn't start and end with "large boobs" :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

shouta's dad is pretty funny and understated

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zeruel posted:

The best Iruru joke by far is (spoiler tagging it because it's fuckin hilarious) when she transforms into a human she can't do hands properly so her arm just ends in a nub. Then she learns how to do hands but they're microscopic on the ends of her nubs, then she grows millions of them.

iruru always came off kind of body horror to me

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Aztec skit was pretty much the best Lucoa gag.

:eng101: The temple in this short only had one set of stairs, making it unlikely it was an Aztec temple. Those were known for their dual-stair design. However, this does fit with Toltec temples--where the myth of Quetzalcoatl (the king who would one day return. Not the god. These are two different entities by the same name. Sort of like how Thor is a god and there are just folks named Thor.) likely originated. In particular, the story that Lucoa references throughout the show likely came to the Aztecs through these people.

Did Kyoani know this or care? Probably not! Is precolumbian Mesoamerica cool? Yes, very much so.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If it's the arc i'm thinking of Iruru isn't even around that much for it though she's the catalyst. It's one of the worst chapters of anything i've read though and I can't imagine Kyoani adapting it. I'd also say Iruru's gags are basically just Lucoa's so that'd be not super hard to change. She has big breasts and gets naked for jokes about "wow what big breasts". Except she's a teen so it's weirder though she doesn't have strange scenes with a 10 year old at least. There's one other joke that is bad but it only exists for a chapter and later chapters have just removed it.

Are you talking about the chapter where Iruru gives Kobayashi a penis and she spends the whole chapter getting turned on by Kana?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you talking about the chapter where Iruru gives Kobayashi a penis and she spends the whole chapter getting turned on by Kana?

Yeah along with other terrible stuff. That chapter's awful. I highly doubt it would be adapted in a potential season 2. There's enough material there they don't need it and most of it is way more in line with the tone of the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I could see KyoAni adapting some of it and then doctoring it up to be less creepy and more funny. At the very least removing or deemphasizing the "getting aroused by Kanna" part. As a note, a similar gag was done in the OVA

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm not sure that's the best example, the gag in the OVA actually had very little changed from the manga.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Kinda think that one season is good enough for this one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the show wrapped up its themes pretty nicely and firmly by the time it ended. I don't really know what they would do with a season 2 that wouldn't just be retreading old ground. and I don't get the impression that MaiDragon was popular enough for them to make another season just to milk it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I think that this is one of those rare situations where an OVA here and there would be enough to keep it chugging along and interesting. The season had a very satisfying conclusion that I would hate to see go to waste by a new season not building off it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

give me elma

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's a spin off manga by someone else for you, friend. Unfortunately I don't have the link but you can probably find it in recent batoto uploads.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh shiiit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

There's a spin off manga by someone else for you, friend. Unfortunately I don't have the link but you can probably find it in recent batoto uploads.

Wait that's actually starting to get translated?

Hopefully it's good.

E: It was.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Still no link :(
(A cursory glance failed to find it)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Still no link :(
(A cursory glance failed to find it)

Here you go.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GIVE *clap emoji* ELMA *clap emoji* A *clap emoji* GIRLFRIEND *clap emoji*

Or, hell, even a boyfriend

Just someone she can cuddle with that isn't just a very large croissant.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Elma is a strong, career-focused woman, she don't need no (wo)man. It'd be cute if she owned a cat though.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Spiritus Nox posted:

So you're saying she doesn't need a cute cinnamon roll?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

So you're saying she doesn't need a cute cinnamon roll?

Cinnamon Rolls are delicious but I do not think they can provide the sort of love and companionship Elma deserves

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Cinnamon Rolls are delicious but I do not think they can provide the sort of love and companionship Elma deserves

At least not for very long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I kinda liked that the climax of Elma's arc was just her sitting in a coffee shop, reading a book on object-oriented programming so she can do her job better, and going "Huh, I've completely adapted to this world. Oh well :shrug:"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hoobajoo posted:

Elma is a strong, career-focused woman, she don't need no (wo)man. It'd be cute if she owned a cat though.

:yeah:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I kinda liked that the climax of Elma's arc was just her sitting in a coffee shop, reading a book on object-oriented programming so she can do her job better, and going "Huh, I've completely adapted to this world. Oh well :shrug:"

I also loved how Tohru and her never really settle their differences. They just sort of fall into being friends over time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Secretly they were actually always best friends.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Really, it was about the foods you ate along the way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
True love is just a cream bread you can share after all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't there supposed to be a spinoff about kanna too? Did that ever materialize

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

site posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a spinoff about kanna too? Did that ever materialize

Quick check on Batoto says it exists and is ongoing but no chapters have been translated since the 1st like 3 months ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SyntheticPolygon posted:

but no chapters have been translated since the 1st like 3 months ago.

A travesty

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

site posted:

The first volume is getting an official release; January 2nd according to Amazon.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Ty

Spiritus Nox posted:

A croissant is fine too

no go on Quiznos posted:

The first volume is getting an official release; January 2nd according to Amazon.

We must buy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe Elma could date a cafe owner? She visits the same place everyday because how delicious their pastries are and smiles at the owner everytime since she's so happy about eating it. After a while she gets asked out and goes to Kobayashi for advice in a mild state of panic. After being encouraged to give it a shot she goes on a date and the cafe owner brought some of her favorite foods along.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Poil posted:

Maybe Elma could date a cafe owner? She visits the same place everyday because how delicious their pastries are and smiles at the owner everytime since she's so happy about eating it. After a while she gets asked out and goes to Kobayashi for advice in a mild state of panic. After being encouraged to give it a shot she goes on a date and the cafe owner brought some of her favorite foods along.

Congratulations, you just wrote a fanfic.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

JimmyT64 posted:

Congratulations, you just wrote a fanfic.

you mean stole my fanfic.

except instead of a cafe owner, it's the cream bread display.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

elma is going to marry one of those industrial sized ice cream makers

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Elma invades CandyLand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

Elma invades CandyLand.

Elma and the Chocolate Factory (spoiler: It's about her turning into her dragon form and rampaging through a regular chocolate factory, gorging from vats and their packaged stock).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Quick check on Batoto says it exists and is ongoing but no chapters have been translated since the 1st like 3 months ago.

There's been a few, but they were on 4chan. Also IIRC whoever uploaded them to batoto hosed up the ordering and stuff.
Maybe they're on madokami?

• Locked thread