Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wow that's fantastically lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

BrandorKP posted:

Wow that's fantastically lovely.

Soooo, standard operating procedure for PPB then?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Has anyone formed an opinion on Danielle Outlaw? Outside of the Judge Dredd name all I know is that she came to prominence in Oakland implementing reforms around cop/citizen interaction that were forced on the city via a lawsuit. Apparently they implemented changes to procedure based on observations made from cops body cam footage about what works and what doesn't when engaging with the public. I could be about that if it helps PPD be less racist and lovely.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has anyone formed an opinion on Danielle Outlaw? Outside of the Judge Dredd name all I know is that she came to prominence in Oakland implementing reforms around cop/citizen interaction that were forced on the city via a lawsuit. Apparently they implemented changes to procedure based on observations made from cops body cam footage about what works and what doesn't when engaging with the public. I could be about that if it helps PPD be less racist and lovely.

I haven't had time to read a ton on her record in Oakland, but what I have heard is encouraging. The interviews I have listened to lead me to think she is committed to reform but will hopefully avoid antagonizing the police union badly enough that they sabotage it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Puppy Bowl posted:

All
Cops
Are
Bastards

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

anthonypants posted:

All
Cops
Are
Bastards

This again?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soarer posted:

This again?
Again and again, until either it is no longer accurate, or the heat death of the universe. Whichever comes first.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

anthonypants posted:

Again and again, until either it is no longer accurate, or the heat death of the universe. Whichever comes first.

This bet is really easy to win, but sadly no one will be around to collect.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It would be cool if the bastards killed slightly fewer people next year.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa2il_zHFm8

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oakland's police department is an absolute dumpster fire of incompetence, corruption, sexual harassment. Literally anyone involved is suspect at some level or another.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Oakland's police department is an absolute dumpster fire of incompetence, corruption, sexual harassment. Literally anyone involved is suspect at some level or another.

Seems like a given considering all cops are bastards.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

And Portland cops are nazis, so it seems like a good fit

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Soarer posted:

This again?
Did it suddenly become not true?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I feel like calling Oakland's police department a dumpster fire is unfair to dumpster fires.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
How are you guys taking all these articles about cities falling over themselves to publicly fellate Amazon and Jeff Bezos? https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/921149558423420935

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

How are you guys taking all these articles about cities falling over themselves to publicly fellate Amazon and Jeff Bezos? https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/921149558423420935

That article was honestly way more balanced than I was expecting, given that Bezos owns them.

But even Seattle is falling all over themselves to fellate them, with that letter the city council and a bunch of local politicians wrote to them. It's loving disgusting. Have some loving self respect.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 20, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I mean unless you are expecting miracles, wouldn't it be better to evaluate whether Oakland PD was more or less of a dumpster fire at the end of her tenure than it was at the beginning of it?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like calling Oakland's police department a dumpster fire is unfair to dumpster fires.

You're right, my comments were way out of line and I hope dumpster fires everywhere can forgive me.

therobit posted:

I mean unless you are expecting miracles, wouldn't it be better to evaluate whether Oakland PD was more or less of a dumpster fire at the end of her tenure than it was at the beginning of it?

She came up in Oakland PD and spent like 20 years there, if her hands are clean it's a loving miracle

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

http://www.wweek.com/news/courts/20...gorge-wildfire/

So the kid that set the gorge on fire was only charged with a few misdemeanors. Sad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

The worst part is that Amazon already knows where it's going to have a new site, they're just going to take the sweetest offers they can find, shove them in the face of the city they want to move to and tell them it's theirs to lose.

It's gross as gently caress.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I should've been more explicit, but the line "Before Amazon, 'a wasteland'" is talking about Seattle. It's saying that Seattle was a wasteland before Amazon.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

anthonypants posted:

Maybe I should've been more explicit, but the line "Before Amazon, 'a wasteland'" is talking about Seattle. It's saying that Seattle was a wasteland before Amazon.

Not Seattle as a whole, that section of the article is referring to the neighborhood Amazon built their main campus in, which used to be a collection of parking lots.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I mean...duh. You don't build a huge corporate HQ in already thriving areas where the real estate is extra expensive.

E: Also on the cop thing, ACAB is a sound view of the world but the degrees of awfulness matters. Pretty much everyone you'll ever meet is deeply flawed and awful in a bunch of ways. We should always encourage people and organizations being less lovely, despite the remaining shitiness they have yet to fix.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 20, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

SLU was literally a wasteland before Amazon/Paul Allen rebuilt it into a billion skyscrapers and food trucks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ixnay posted:

Not Seattle as a whole, that section of the article is referring to the neighborhood Amazon built their main campus in, which used to be a collection of parking lots.
Yeah but parking lots are more useful than Amazons. :colbert:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

FRINGE posted:

Yeah but parking lots are more useful than Amazons. :colbert:

Remember the hurricane? That was a nice place to go.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

E: Also on the cop thing, ACAB is a sound view of the world but the degrees of awfulness matters. Pretty much everyone you'll ever meet is deeply flawed and awful in a bunch of ways. We should always encourage people and organizations being less lovely, despite the remaining shitiness they have yet to fix.
Most deeply flawed individuals don't have the state sponsored authority to murder you and get away with it. The only gradiant we're dealing with here are monstrous to complacent piece of poo poo because lives are unnecessarily ruined every day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

The worst part is that Amazon already knows where it's going to have a new site, they're just going to take the sweetest offers they can find, shove them in the face of the city they want to move to and tell them it's theirs to lose.

It's gross as gently caress.

Sorta like how the NBA used seattle to get a better deal out of sacramento!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Amazon's growth has only been a benefit to Amazon / their vendors and landlords in the Seattle area. Oh, and I guess restaurants of SLU. Everyone else got trampled in their dominance of the area.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Most deeply flawed individuals don't have the state sponsored authority to murder you and get away with it. The only gradiant we're dealing with here are monstrous to complacent piece of poo poo because lives are unnecessarily ruined every day.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The only good cops in 2017 are taking off their uniforms.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

seiferguy posted:

Oh, and I guess restaurants of SLU.

Restaurants in the Amazon buildings have it in their leases that they must be open for dinner even though nobody is hanging around SLU in the evenings.

And if they try to close early because they have no customers, Amazon security guards are watching and will tattle on them, lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ixnay posted:

Restaurants in the Amazon buildings have it in their leases that they must be open for dinner even though nobody is hanging around SLU in the evenings.

And if they try to close early because they have no customers, Amazon security guards are watching and will tattle on them, lol

Man, that is incredibly lovely.

Speaking of Amazon, they just donated $350k to Durkan's campaign. Yikes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ixnay posted:

Maybe I need to start eating dinner in SLU more often...

I take it they're generally not empty during happy hour?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

George posted:

The only good cops in 2017 are taking off their uniforms.

??

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The cops in Seattle used to be far better. Here is a real tape of Seattle 90's cops, helping their community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlDVmBLibg

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Peachfart posted:

The cops in Seattle used to be far better. Here is a real tape of Seattle 90's cops, helping their community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlDVmBLibg

Don't you dare try to sell fake Evian water in Mercer Island though. (I love Almost Live)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Maybe I need to start eating dinner in SLU more often...

I take it they're generally not empty during happy hour?

The happy hours suck. No one wants to be around Amazons.