Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“cis autodrag”" post="“477225860”"]
yeah, why would I stuff all my poo poo in pockets like some sort of human junk drawer when I can have a cute accessory that holds and organizes my things? it’s kind of condescending when men complain about pockets on our behalf like we can’t figure out what we want for ourselves.

also most of my dresses have deeper pockets than man jeans but I only use them for discretely taking my phone to the shitter
[/quote]

personally I wish I could strap each daily item I carry to one of my four appendages, and when I need to use said item, all I have to do is flail said appendage at what I need to use it with

it would make life much more convenient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
im pretty sure the google thread is haunted so I'm moving this post here.

The Management posted:

hey guess what, google home mini listens to every sound in your house and sends all of it to google, where it is saved.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

im pretty sure the google thread is haunted so I'm moving this post here.

loramf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in that case

infernal machines posted:

wow, no poo poo, the always on listening device you voluntarily installed in your own home is always on and listening.

amazing.

the advertising company that has an interest in having as much data about you and your household as humanly possible said it wouldn't do that, but then it did!

no way anyone could have foreseen such an unlikely malfunction.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/#2

"Google has decided to permanently remove all top touch functionality. The company sent us the following statement:

'We take user privacy and product quality concerns very seriously. Although we only received a few reports of this issue, we want people to have complete peace of mind while using Google Home Mini.

We have made the decision to permanently remove all top touch functionality on the Google Home Mini. As before, the best way to control and activate Google Home Mini is through voice, by saying 'Ok Google' or 'Hey Google,' which is already how most people engage with our Google Home products. You can still adjust the volume by using the touch control on the side of the device.'

Note that it's not just the long-press to activate Assistant that's getting permanently canned, but also the single-tap functionality to play, pause, and stop alarms/timers. The support page has now been reflected accordingly"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but its now super safe guys; keep having conversations about your favorite brands and interests around the mini

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EL BROMANCE posted:

when you see an android listed as running v4, it is quite easy to presume it's a new handset in fairness.

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

“We were caught pretending we aren’t constantly recording everything, so now we’re disabling the privacy placebo and telling our products straight up: we’re always listening.”

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

“We were caught pretending we aren’t constantly recording everything, so now we’re disabling the privacy placebo and telling our products straight up: we’re always listening.”

the crane method

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tossed services and scrambled apps!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

they're callin home again!

doot doot doooo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

they're callin home again!

doot doot doooo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, in oreo you still can't create new labels in the Gmail app. loving christ Google

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

lol, in oreo you still can't create new labels in the Gmail app. loving christ Google

you cant create labels at all in inbox im p. sure labels are done

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I thought inbox was falling out of favor/practically abandoned (when they added smart folders to the regular app)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i think inbox was way too radical a change so theyre slowly turning gmail into it one feature every year or so

they did tease a material design revamp due sometime after the calendar one

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

i use the ios mail app for my gmail and the other day google sent me an email asking me to please use the gmail app instead of the ios mail app

whoever okayed that particular bit of consumer outreach should be fired

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

duTrieux. posted:

i use the ios mail app for my gmail and the other day google sent me an email asking me to please use the gmail app instead of the ios mail app

Lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

yeah i got that too

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
having an extra five seconds to undo an embarrassing email doesn’t seem like a super useful feature

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

imagine how bad at understanding people one would have to be to approve of that particular marketing plan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
reminder: every time you set up an email address in microsoft outlook it auto-selects an option on completion that will pop open a web page telling you to download the outlook app for your smart phone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

one thing the gmail app doesn't have: combined inbox with non-Google email accounts. dealbreaker

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

reminder: every time you set up an email address in microsoft outlook it auto-selects an option on completion that will pop open a web page telling you to download the outlook app for your smart phone

you can't kill it with group policy?

also, i never noticed that you can't make new gmail labels on android, but i do remember being super annoyed a few years back that you can't make new event types in the calendar app. clown shoes stuff imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably, i haven't dug through the 2016 gpos to find out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

one thing the gmail app doesn't have: combined inbox with non-Google email accounts. dealbreaker

another thing it doesn’t have: a good user interface.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

one thing anroid does better than ios, we finally found it

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

I've never had this happen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you have outlook 2016?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I've never had this happen

ive had this happend repeatedly with latest outlook, but i filtered it out subconsciously so i cant tell you how often

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i use inbox and they send me that. i think they just send it to anyone who doens't use the gmail app

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use gmail to get notifications for my gmail accounts so I can know to open Mail

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

do you have outlook 2016?

yes, I use it at work for testing the lovely email integration of our lovely app so I make new profiles and add new accounts pretty frequently too. it's pro plus msi install tho, none of this o365 click to run nonsense, so that might be why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

o365 pro plus and h&b ctr's have it for sure

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/google-play-apps-with-as-many-as-2-6m-downloads-added-devices-to-botnet/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i forgot inbox existed but goddamn it was bad and dumb. how is it not abandonware already

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Bixby 2.0 will be ubiquitous, available on any and all devices. This means having the intelligence of Bixby, powered by the cloud, act as the control hub of your device ecosystem, including mobile phones, TVs, refrigerators, home speakers, or any other connected technology you can imagine. Soon, developers will be able to put their services on any and all devices and will not have to reinvent their services each time they support a new device.

finally you will be able to talk to your fridge!

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/stories/bixby-2.0:-the-start-of-the-next-paradigm-shift-in-devices

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
why use the microphone and speakers in my phone when I can add microphones and speakers and wifi to every appliance i own!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i still use inbox, i like how it categorises stuff so I can swipe all the spam away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pram posted:

i forgot inbox existed but goddamn it was bad and dumb. how is it not abandonware already

compared to the interface in gmail its amazing

i mean i guess gmail is okay if you want four different inboxes and want to only see a single line of text about each mail but i keep my email empty and for me inbox surfacing bills showing all relevant info from the main screen is perfect far better than those odd tooltip links to tracking info that gmail does

i can see why they didnt just make inbox gmail because users barely grasp email at all but man is gmails ui clunky and weird for no reason good thing theres a redesign coming