Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I wonder what the fallout is going to be if it is proved the PG&E was responsible for the current series of wild fires due to failure to comply with regulations about tree trimming near power lines? They've already been severely fined and sued for it in the past, and a lot more discussion in newspapers is pointing them out as a likely culprit

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/PG-E-power-lines-explored-as-possible-cause-of-12270749.php

quote:

Wildfires triggered by power lines have been an issue for PG&E before.

In September 2015, a pine tree in Amador County came in contact with a PG&E power line and sparked the massive Butte Fire, which burned more than 70,800 acres, destroyed 549 homes and killed two people. California utility regulators this year fined the company $8.3 million over the incident, and lawsuits filed by area residents, county and state officials could eventually cost the company $750 million, by PG&E’s own estimate.

An investigation by the California Public Utilities Commission following a 1994 wildfire accused PG&E of diverting money from its tree-trimming program to boost profits, while managers received bonuses for cutting budgets. PG&E paid $29 million to settle the case, while not admitting fault, and agreed to boost its tree-trimming budget.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
PG&E is such a remarkably bad company

also heres a spoiler: nothing will happen except maybe they'll make a paltry $20 million fine and raise consumers rates to make it back up and then some

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

As if blowing up neighborhoods isn't bad enough, they also burn down cities. Monopolies really are the best.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

The Glumslinger posted:

So I wonder what the fallout is going to be if it is proved the PG&E was responsible for the current series of wild fires due to failure to comply with regulations about tree trimming near power lines? They've already been severely fined and sued for it in the past, and a lot more discussion in newspapers is pointing them out as a likely culprit

Judging by the last time they killed some people, a slap on the wrist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yep pretty much, if they can blow up an entire neighborhood and get a paltry $90 million fine, then welp.

also doesnt help they basically bought and own PUC which is spineless and more powerless than my lasts night burrito poo poo from getting flushed down the toilet.

weird goood thing is have several friends who work at pg&e's san ramon office and they basically do nothing but collect their six figures and go on vacation a lot. so i guess they pay their workers well at least

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Utilities should really not be privatized. The most hassle free (and affordable) electric company I ever had to deal with was the City of Santa Clara. PG&E and SDG&E are shady and poo poo companies that get away with loving over their customers because it's not like you can take your business elsewhere. Plus, having shareholders to answer to leads to cutting corners and explosions and fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
But seriously how many times does California have to get bent over the table and hosed by energy companies before we just nationalize this poo poo?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sydin posted:

But seriously how many times does California have to get bent over the table and hosed by energy companies before we just nationalize this poo poo?

Short of a revolution and the collapse of American capitalism, it's never going to happen. Too many people are brainwashed that government is useless and wasteful and only a private for-profit company can responsibly serve the people. Schools, hospitals, and prisons are all for profit - why shouldn't electricity be?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm in Anaheim and we have publicly owned utilities, it's great. 10/10 would advocate for public utility ownership again.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Short of a revolution and the collapse of American capitalism, it's never going to happen. Too many people are brainwashed that government is useless and wasteful and only a private for-profit company can responsibly serve the people. Schools, hospitals, and prisons are all for profit - why shouldn't electricity be?

Defeatist bullshit, join the DSA and help us do something about it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Defeatist bullshit, join the DSA and help us do something about it.

Oh, I'm plenty active politically. Just because I've lost hope doesn't mean I've stopped trying.

EDIT: I should also note that I currently live in an extremely "red" part of California, so I'm especially jaded.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would say that it will be interesting to see how the crowd saying things like Oroville Dam should be handed over to a private company to run will reconcile that with PG&E burning down a few towns, but I know they will blame it on having too many regulations for poor overworked PG&E to keep up with.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Its staggering how little the defacto electrical power company monopolies get talked about in this country.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

when will silicon valley finally disrupt the energy industry?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

FCKGW posted:

when will silicon valley finally disrupt the energy industry?

Peter Thiel would have you know that monopolies are good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6K8PZxyQfU

Well, I mean, if you are the monopoly.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 12, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Oh, I'm plenty active politically. Just because I've lost hope doesn't mean I've stopped trying.

EDIT: I should also note that I currently live in an extremely "red" part of California, so I'm especially jaded.

Apologies, comrade. Just consider what I said as directed at anyone who isn't active, and give yourself some credit. :tipshat:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cheese posted:

Its staggering how little the defacto electrical power company monopolies get talked about in this country.

They’re often de jure!

revolther
May 27, 2008

Xaris posted:

weird goood thing is have several friends who work at pg&e's san ramon office and they basically do nothing but collect their six figures and go on vacation a lot. so i guess they pay their workers well at least
Sister In-Law is some big hydro electric manager something or other for PG&E up in butte/shasta county area, she's overpaid and an idiot, but she also managed to get Father In-Law a job "managing" an empty PG&E warehouse/lot that may or may not be closed in the next few years but they still want to hold onto the lease just in case. He makes 140k a year, and will tell you himself it's bullshit. Sign an order for a shipment, open a door, lock up, that's about it, see's like one or two guys a week bringing in equipment..

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My home of 10 years has burned down. Thank hod for insurrance honestly. Im pretty excited about moving to the tip of Idaho.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Sorry to hear that, dude.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LeoMarr posted:

My home of 10 years has burned down. Thank hod for insurrance honestly. Im pretty excited about moving to the tip of Idaho.

I grew up in the tip of Idaho ama

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

udaho?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I grew up in the tip of Idaho ama

What are there more of: Mormons or white supremacists

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What are there more of: Mormons or white supremacists

Can't it be both?

Northern Idaho? White supremacists.
Southern Idaho? Mormons. Barely more.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

i was unpleasantly exclusionary to the mormon white supremacists

apologies all round!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

apologies all round!

Whoah now they repudiated that doctrine decades ago and the entire congregation has purged all hints of racism from their minds.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Fun fact: this quote is still used in one of the current LDS Church manuals (specifically for teaching young men).

Aaronic Priesthood Manual posted:

We recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question”
https://www.lds.org/manual/aaronic-priesthood-manual-3/lesson-31-choosing-an-eternal-companion?lang=eng

I still remember being very surprised to hear this when I was a teenager in class a decade and a half ago (I'm biracial so it was particularly awkward for me), and I'm positively shocked it's still in there today.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 13, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

apologies all round!

In my experience i'ts more of a subset thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why move to Idaho? You can just move to Yolo County and get just as many white supremacists and tweakers snorting meth off the hood of their cars.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Panfilo posted:

Why move to Idaho? You can just move to Yolo County and get just as many white supremacists and tweakers snorting meth off the hood of their cars.

Why move to Yolo County when they're practically all over this state?

There's a reason I no longer take the back roads in my home town. :smith:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My brother used to rent a place in Yolo county and tweakers there were like raccoons in that they'd only come out at night, rummage through the trash and communicate in a chittering, squeaking manner. You could be going down a country road with no domicile in thirty miles in either direction and have to swerve to avoid some bug eyed Skeletor of a man with a shaved head and no pants playing hopscotch in the middle of the road in total darkness :stonk:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Riverside Public Utilities handles my water, sewer, and electric, and do a good job of it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

These fires did make me realize how much worse poo poo would be if we didn't have a strong centralized governmental response to firefighting. poo poo would be a lot worse without Cal Fire coordinating and mobilizing statewide resources.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

These fires did make me realize how much worse poo poo would be if we didn't have a strong centralized governmental response to firefighting. poo poo would be a lot worse without Cal Fire coordinating and mobilizing statewide resources.

Massive amounts of slave prison labor helps too, of course.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/magazine/the-incarcerated-women-who-fight-californias-wildfires.html

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
edit: probably not worth it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Panfilo posted:

My brother used to rent a place in Yolo county and tweakers there were like raccoons in that they'd only come out at night, rummage through the trash and communicate in a chittering, squeaking manner. You could be going down a country road with no domicile in thirty miles in either direction and have to swerve to avoid some bug eyed Skeletor of a man with a shaved head and no pants playing hopscotch in the middle of the road in total darkness :stonk:

This is simply sad. Drug addicts need help not scorn.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Agreed. Let's start with universal healthcare so they aren't bankrupted by medical costs and can see psychologists and go to rehab for free.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LeoMarr posted:

That really sucks. I'm so sorry.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Riverside Public Utilities handles my water, sewer, and electric, and do a good job of it.

Yup. I don't think I've ever really had to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cicero posted:

Are there any progressives that are already talking about running?

First serious challenger to Feinstein just announced he’s running

California Senate leader Kevin de León telling people he will challenge Sen. Dianne Feinstein