Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He still has his lovely YouTube clip show to this day I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dexo posted:

what?

Tosh got loving crushed for that one.

Did he? His show is going on like 10+ seasons at this point. How was he crushed? He rolled right out from under it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly. If he did that today? He'd be gone.

And that wouldn't be a bad thing imo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Exactly. If he did that today? He'd be gone.

And that wouldn't be a bad thing imo.

OMG it was 6 year ago jesus Christ, I know you're like 20 or something but that is an extremely short span of time. People got pissed in 2011, 2001, nay even 1991 even about this stuff.

e:looooool it was a diff time excuse for loving 2011 haha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yo the world loving changed in the past few years. Like, you have to realize that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Why do you keep making excuses for people saying racist/sexist/other horrible poo poo? Like what exactly is your point? "The world was a different place back then..." (not really), so?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Why do you keep making excuses for people saying racist/sexist/other horrible poo poo? Like what exactly is your point? "The world was a different place back then..." (not really), so?

At least Momoa apologized for the joke, and hasn’t said anything similar since. Did Tosh ever apologize?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pretty sure Tosh is sorry you were offended type of apology.

I do remember lots of comics veering all "you don't know what it's like to be heckled"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It just feels like a weird hunt to dig up dumb poo poo people said to take them down. If Mamoa is all
rape jokes all the time then he should be called out. But now? Who knows how he feels about it. Maybe he looks back and cringes that he said that.

I just don't know what people want to come out of this specific case. Why look at Mamoa when Afleck groped a young girl on TV and nothing came of it. That's horrific!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Equeen posted:

At least Momoa apologized for the joke, and hasn’t said anything similar since. Did Tosh ever apologize?

Oh sure, if someone sincerely apologizes and doesn't do it again, then good on them. But saying "Well, everyone was doing it back then!" is pretty stupid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In think the last episode of Tosh.O I ever saw featured Chris Brown dancing on top of Tosh's pool table.

Tosh ain't sorry about poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I would think that the defense angle for the Momoa rape joke would be that he was clearly talking about things that happen in GOT. Still not a very good defense and everyone else on the panel clearly isn't laughing their socks off at the hilarious joke. Still better than a sands of time defense for 6 years ago.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CelticPredator posted:

The world changed pretty dang fast. I was a year out of high school then, and people were still using "that's so gay" on a regular basis.

This just means that you have changed in the last 6 years, not that the whole world is significantly different. Get your head out of your rear end.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hey guys the world is much different from 1990: people were three times taller than me back then, and now they are roughly the same height as me. I wonder why everyone got so much shorter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Aw come on guys. 18 -> 24 does seem like a long time when you're living it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My entire point is just, there's so much awful
poo poo going on right now to just dig into someone's past to find a bad bad joke. It just feels so weird to have anyone look that way when we have all of Hollywood getting exposed for truly heinous acts.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Their talks with Gore Verbinski must have worked out, because Fox just announced a release date for Gambit and it is the sexiest release date for the sexiest mutant: February 14,2019.

Also here is Taika Waititi playing a rock alien.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geren_FPWEg

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 12, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

OMG it was 6 year ago jesus Christ, I know you're like 20 or something but that is an extremely short span of time. People got pissed in 2011, 2001, nay even 1991 even about this stuff.

e:looooool it was a diff time excuse for loving 2011 haha

I realize you're not arguing in good faith but CP's got a point, dude

people walking on eggshells regarding any ultra-hosed-up topic is kind of a new development

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just bring back christian bale

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Christian Bale with that new suit, voice manipulator and some good fight choreography :swoon:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hiddenriverninja posted:

Christian Bale with that new suit, voice manipulator and some good fight choreography :swoon:

I would be on board with this. For gods sake give the man some nose holes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t think it should be controversial to say that social issues have changed a LOT in the past five years when we kinda did only just get gay marriage legalized. In America, I mean. And then we immediately elected a VP who would like to electroshock those people.

The internet is making conversations move at the speed of light, and as it turns out, the thing people discuss most in social arenas is social stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I realize you're not arguing in good faith but CP's got a point, dude

people walking on eggshells regarding any ultra-hosed-up topic is kind of a new development

The rad thing about this is that literally everyone looks back at a slightly earlier time and is like "oh, people didn't get offended then."

I heard someone say that about the loving nineties, when the concept of political correctness, as it's now discussed, was actually crystallised. Mad Magazine did a thing on what a politically correct James Bond would be like where he can't say midget or Asian. It was exactly as funny as you're thinking it is. Brad Sherwood used to blame PCness whenever he hosed up a joke on Whose Line.

The thing we could be nostalgic for, if we were all about 60-70 years old, is the idea of us, as a society, having a cohesive, shared response to anything. Plenty of people have always been offended by jokes. It's just that the joke survives and can be viewed later, while the outrage doesn't.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 13, 2017

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t think it should be controversial to say that social issues have changed a LOT in the past five years when we kinda did only just get gay marriage legalized. In America, I mean. And then we immediately elected a VP who would like to electroshock those people.

The internet is making conversations move at the speed of light, and as it turns out, the thing people discuss most in social arenas is social stuff.

The discourse revolves around identity politics and the backlash to it. It has not elevated much beyond "awareness raising". The volume might have gotten louder to certain people, but what does it all add up to when Hilary Clinton and Ivanka Trump are feminists?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

For what it's worth, I agree with CP that this poo poo seemed way more "tolerated" 10 -15 years ago than it is today. The big difference these days is that everyone is connected to social media, so when something like this happens it spreads quickly, and people become aware of it, when even just 10 years ago most people wouldn't know it had happened. Social media disseminates awareness and amplifies peoples response, so now everyone knows about that time Ben stuck his thumb up a girls rear end.

I think just having people aware of everyday sexism/homophobia/racism is a huge thing the internet has helped with, and just being aware of what's actually not OK to say and do helps people call it out more often, and it's not always easy to know where the lines are drawn. Note, this is a general statement, and does not apply to groping people against their will.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
https://youtu.be/bu9e410C__I

I didn't know that The New Mutants was going to be a horror movie.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CelticPredator posted:

My entire point is just, there's so much awful
poo poo going on right now to just dig into someone's past to find a bad bad joke. It just feels so weird to have anyone look that way when we have all of Hollywood getting exposed for truly heinous acts.

I know you're like 18 so it feels like everything changes so fast, but 6 years ago was not a lot of time. Rape jokes were not "okay" in 2011.

Basically: Stop making excuses for rape jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hangover 2 sure got away with a big one. And a "trans people are gross" one on top of that too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The hell was that?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Hangover 2 sure got away with a big one. And a "trans people are gross" one on top of that too.

I feel like Family Guy does these whenever they don't have any other ideas. So, like, a lot.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

McCloud posted:

He doesn't have the charisma to be a loveable oaf

Shut your mouth!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the first ace ventura is like supremely god awful

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People are now simply more considerate of things like sexual harassment, but otherwise there has been no moral development in society. That's how you get Marvel movies, which are rather offensive but not in a way that really rankles most people.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 13, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LesterGroans posted:

https://youtu.be/bu9e410C__I

I didn't know that The New Mutants was going to be a horror movie.

I take it they're no longer having Deadpool and Cable in the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

I take it they're no longer having Deadpool and Cable in the movie.

Deadpool and Cable will be in X-Force. The New Mutants have been written as story about the Moonstar-Magik-Wolfsbane group from the start.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kurtofan posted:

Just bring back michael keaton

ftfy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ok, I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Deadpool and Cable will be in X-Force. The New Mutants have been written as story about the Moonstar-Magik-Wolfsbane group from the start.

Ah, so now I get to relive the X-Men heyday on the Silver Screen.

Coming this year:
New Mutants, X-Force, X-Men, Uncanny X-men, Amazing X-Men, New X-Men, Classic X-Men, X-Factor, Astonishing X-Men, Giant Size X-Men, Wolverine, Wolverine and the X-Men, Mutant X, Ultimate X-Men, X-Men 2099, Young X-Men, X-Men Fairy Tales, X-Men Noir, Generation M, Cable, Logan, Cyclops and the X-Men, and the IMAX premier of the first 2 episodes of the new season of Legion!

• Locked thread