Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Is there a smart way to get Oreo onto my Nexus 9? I don't know enough about Android to know what sites have reputable info.

The Nexus 9 won't get an official update to Oreo. Of course you can install a ROM but even the big names like LineageOS are still in the early stages of offering Oreo ROMs.
You can install some weird ROM from XDA that someone cobbled together but thats not exactly...smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I have to say, Samsung Health has got to be one of the best applications I've ever used

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

orange sky posted:

I have to say, Samsung Health has got to be one of the best applications I've ever used

"You appear to be suffering from smoke inhalation and slight heavy metal toxicity, please contact manufacturer"

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't realize how bad my Nexus 6P battery was until it started shutting off at 15%. On October 7th, I called Google and asked them if they could do anything about it, not even bringing up the Pixel replacement until she'd already started the replacement process. I said something like "So I heard you're replacing these with Pixels sometimes?" and she told me to check my email, because sometimes it's another Nexus and sometimes it's a Pixel. Turned out, I was getting a Pixel. It's a massive improvement in battery life, speed, and display.

So it can't hurt to call and ask. I think they're just trained now to not outright promise a Pixel replacement upfront to stop people from getting a free phone upgrade just because Reddit told them the right things to say they were having issues with.

Did you buy your 6P from Google, or subsidize through a carrier?

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't realize how bad my Nexus 6P battery was until it started shutting off at 15%. On October 7th, I called Google and asked them if they could do anything about it, not even bringing up the Pixel replacement until she'd already started the replacement process. I said something like "So I heard you're replacing these with Pixels sometimes?" and she told me to check my email, because sometimes it's another Nexus and sometimes it's a Pixel. Turned out, I was getting a Pixel. It's a massive improvement in battery life, speed, and display.

So it can't hurt to call and ask. I think they're just trained now to not outright promise a Pixel replacement upfront to stop people from getting a free phone upgrade just because Reddit told them the right things to say they were having issues with.

I just called this morning because my 6p's battery is crap and he didn't offer any kind of replacement, just to connect me to Hauwei to see if they would provide any kind of post-warranty support / "affordable" repair options. Bought from the Play Store a little under 2 years ago at launch. Ugh. Trying to decide if paying to repair this 6p is better than spending hundreds for an ebay/Swappa Pixel.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Boywunda posted:

Did you buy your 6P from Google, or subsidize through a carrier?

Through Google.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

teagone posted:

Does anyone have experience with Honor phones? Should I wait for BF to see if there's another deal, or maybe if Amazon picks up the G5S+ and get that instead? I'm in no hurry to get a new phone, but I'd like to consider my options at the budget range ($200ish).

Admittedly EMUI is kind of ugly in parts, the settings menu in particular, but since I run Nova my homescreens and app menu look nice. There are some really clever battery management tools too if you can be assed to mess with them. Huawei/Honor usually does pretty good in the camera department as well, better than most phones in their respective price classes, and battery life is equally impressive.

I say buck the trend and give the 7x a go if/when it becomes available.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Through Google.

Figured....trying to find a success story when purchased through a carrier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Academician Nomad posted:

I just called this morning because my 6p's battery is crap and he didn't offer any kind of replacement, just to connect me to Hauwei to see if they would provide any kind of post-warranty support / "affordable" repair options. Bought from the Play Store a little under 2 years ago at launch. Ugh. Trying to decide if paying to repair this 6p is better than spending hundreds for an ebay/Swappa Pixel.
I did the web chat on Tuesday for my Google/launch--day 6P, same result.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

GopherFlats posted:

I'm a huge idiot

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

orange sky posted:

Is there a platform agnostic health app? Thinking about keeping track of weight and a pedometer and letting 3rd party apps plug into it (Strava). Or a service that Google Fit and whatever Apple has can both upload into.

Fit meets my needs, but I'm annoyed that my data gets stuck in Android (minus manually inputting data on the web).

Maybe IFTTT could handle something like this...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Uthor posted:

Is there a platform agnostic health app? Thinking about keeping track of weight and a pedometer and letting 3rd party apps plug into it (Strava). Or a service that Google Fit and whatever Apple has can both upload into.

Fit meets my needs, but I'm annoyed that my data gets stuck in Android (minus manually inputting data on the web).

Maybe IFTTT could handle something like this...
Garmin's.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
gently caress I just realized the Pixel 2's dont have MicroSD slots... gently caress that. Why do phone companies insist on only having 64 gigs in the base model?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Frickin' finally.

You can (or its rolling out at least) play media on your Chromecasts via Assistant on your phone.

Now it's only a couple more years until Google straightens out this Assistant fragmentation where you can only do some stuff via Assistant on the phone and some stuff via Assistant on your Google Home.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress I just realized the Pixel 2's dont have MicroSD slots... gently caress that. Why do phone companies insist on only having 64 gigs in the base model?

Buy the 128 and/or be glad it's 64 and not 32 or 16

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Munkaboo posted:

The last Google smartphone with a SD card slot came out in 2010

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Munkaboo posted:

It also doesn't have a extendable antenna, whit a poo poo phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

It was never going to, and a Google phone hasn't had an SD card slot in a very long time. What are you needing more than 64GB for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How can I possibly carry all my 10 bit animes and FLAC library in only 64 GB?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boywunda posted:

Figured....trying to find a success story when purchased through a carrier.

Did the Image Flash Shuffle do anything on yours?

Also if your carrier has phone warranty for a monthly fee, you could always use that. And if you can't buy it, swap to a different phone then swap back.

Every time I activate or reactivate a phone on Sprint they try to sell me the monthly warranty which I haven't used since 2010. But it does cover lost/stolen phones, and we'll if you can hold out for a month after getting it I believe, then just claim the battery is bad and it should be covered.

Also for as much Microsoft bashing has come through recently, the Edge Browser Preview they just dropped for android is actually really good. Similar to Edge on WP10 and it renders SA a lot better than Chrome or Opera is right now for whatever reason. No more typing through the text box and other weird forum glitches.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 13, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Edge on Android is just another WebKit browser, nothing special

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

How can I possibly carry all my 10 bit animes and FLAC library in only 64 GB?

Some people aren't American and have to travel and aren't tied to their cubicles all their lives so might actually need space to download music for when there isn't Wi-Fi /data! Incredible I know!

LOL anime

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Some people aren't American and have to travel and aren't tied to their cubicles all their lives so might actually need space to download music for when there isn't Wi-Fi /data! Incredible I know!

LOL anime

Great, buy the 128 GB version, or somehow survive with only 60 GB of music in your pocket at all times. Incredible I know!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

LOL anime

Lol get over yourself, I'm not American and probably have a shittier data plan than you, and I don't even have wifi at work. 64GB is MORE than enough for pinned music. Or, suck it the gently caress up and get the 128GB version if you're somehow a snowflake beyond that.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol get over yourself, I'm not American and probably have a shittier data plan than you, and I don't even have wifi at work. 64GB is MORE than enough for pinned music. Or, suck it the gently caress up and get the 128GB version if you're somehow a snowflake beyond that.

Also not American and 32 GB has been the most storage I've ever had on a phone and has been more than enough. I also store at least 10 GB of music on my phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate all of you.

Don't start this poo poo yet again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am a App whore as well as download way too much other stuff on my phone. I can nearly fill 128 but at least with that I don't usually have space issues I can't manage, and getting it too full that it slows down to a crawl is much less prone to happen.

The days of 16G phones are finally behind us. Trying to keep Android running smoothly on only ~10G of space with any number of apps and pics you have taken was always a hassle. The early days of the EVO LTE was even worse with that stupid separate partition garbage they had until 4.3 rolled out. 10G/6G and the 6G was where the OS and apps installed to default. The amount of app to sd shuffling you had to do to keep it working smoothish at the time was stupid.

Now the phone is actually useable in a pinch as a backup phone. Now that LTE is everywhere it even feels kinda zippy for how old it is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ilkhan posted:

Garmin's.

Looks nice. I'll check it out. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Android supports OTG connection to portable drives still, and you can get those in multi-terabyte size these days. Between that solution being available and the issue of contriving a phone with IP68 (or better) ratings around a need for removable batteries/SD slot/multi-sims and the like, manufacturers looked at the market research, looked at their sales, and decided they would push away the fewest potential buyers by nixing the SD slot, multi-sim, and removable battery because those were beginning to become table stakes for flagships.

That development wasn't for lack of choice, either. Buyers at large view form factor, intrusion protection, and chassis design as more important than expandable storage, aftermarket batteries, and same-phone burner capability. If they didn't, nobody would be selling sealed-chassis devices offering max 128gb of onboard storage with no headphone jack since they'd get wind of competition sales volume if people flocked to a device with those features. They didn't, over multiple years of design revisions, so manufacturers decided to follow the crowd. Every once in a while you'll get the occasional oneplus type of thing that ends up proving that conventional wisdom even with consideration of the fake benchmarks and bargain prices. They simply don't sell outside the edge-case crowd and for them that's an OK niche to fill.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

The best part of being Canadian is just being able to state you have a worse cellphone plan than any rando but one day you'll do it to an Australian and then you'll see.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The best part of being Canadian is just being able to state you have a worse cellphone plan than any rando but one day you'll do it to an Australian and then you'll see.

I'm luckier than most here too because I have a discount on Rogers through work. If I didn't, after tax, I'd be paying $130 for 5GB.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So i'm trying to decide between the iphone 7 which i've currently got signed on for but can still return at 50 bucks upfront with a 90-95/month charge for 3g data/unlimited text etc(i'm from canada)

but there's another carrier, freedom mobile, and they're offering the samsung s8 or the LG G6 with 0 upfront for 75/month with like 6 gigs of data. i've never used android before and i couldn't really care less about a lot of the super customization stuff, but i'm sure i will end up loving around with it and liking it

how do people like the LG? is it utter trash? i like the design of the handset more than any of the androids i think, and i would hands down go for the s8 but i'm really worried about breaking the screen.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

As unnecessary as the general level of abrasiveness in this thread usually is, if you're looking at a Pixel-priced phone then moving up to the 128 GB model probably shouldn't be that big of a deal if you want the extra storage.

I have a 64 GB phone and terrible internet access everywhere, and I basically use my microSD card as a tool for laziness to hold podcasts I'm catching up on, all of the audiobooks I want to work through, music I want to listen to at the moment, occasionally my rips of old shows or movies that I want to watch again while traveling, and maybe eventually photos if I decide to change where they get stored on the phone since it might be safer to have them on the removable card instead in case the phone breaks? The only way a 128 GB phone wouldn't cover that is if I copied over my entire audio and video library, which nobody should need to do for short-term purposes. And like Fauxton said, OTG drives also exist if you somehow need even more storage.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While I understand making the phone waterproof is easier with less ports and cut outs, but if you still have a sim slot, there is little excuse why you can't have a microSD fit on the same tray if you really want it to. Hell most trays I see are huge in comparison to the nano sim itself and HTC has done good in the phones I've seen with the dual tray.
Heck I'm surprised actually they haven't gotten a way to make the tray hold both cards back to back so it's one size with readers above and below. Hmm.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Well the next thing to go is going to be physical SIM cards so there's that.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
If I didn't know other people had gotten out-of-warranty support for the Nexus 6p problems I'd be WAY less annoyed that they won't do jack poo poo for me (though I'd still be annoyed). I don't even care about getting a new Pixel, that's awesome they did that for some but completely unnecessary for me. Just repair or replace my phone, or at least don't act like you're doing me a favor by having a $165 trade-in offer for a $770 phone I wouldn't need if your phone could last two loving years. The whole point of a direct-from-Google, unsubsidized phone was that it would last a long time with direct software updates, but that's pointless if the phone dies with no support within a product cycle anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CFox posted:

Well the next thing to go is going to be physical SIM cards so there's that.

I hope so because (not right now) I had to switch back and forth between my daily driver and my dual sim workphone many times and it was really annoying. My setup was daily driver (orange), workphone (sim1+vodafone) and the switching was because I couldn't carry two at a time, with more phones using the needle to open up the sim/microsd slot instead of taking off the back cover it becomes even worse.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Question about the T-Mobile Pixel 2 promo: I went into a T-Mobile store today to make sure I can take advantage of the Pixel 2 promo and the 55+ plan for me and my dad. I can, and the guy said I should start the application to port my dad's prepaid plan to the 55+ promo right there in case it disappears. I told him I didn't want to because we are still waiting on the Pixels to ship. He told me it would still apply if we started him on the 55+ plan. I thought the Pixel promo was only on new lines. Did I miss out by not applying right there and adding the Pixel later?

Background being I have a 6S on Verizon, he has some budget Android on T-Mobile prepaid. I was both of us to go on the 55+ plan with Pixels and take advantage of the rebate.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Heck I'm surprised actually they haven't gotten a way to make the tray hold both cards back to back so it's one size with readers above and below. Hmm.
That's exactly how the tray on the G5+ works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question about the T-Mobile Pixel 2 promo: I went into a T-Mobile store today to make sure I can take advantage of the Pixel 2 promo and the 55+ plan for me and my dad. I can, and the guy said I should start the application to port my dad's prepaid plan to the 55+ promo right there in case it disappears. I told him I didn't want to because we are still waiting on the Pixels to ship. He told me it would still apply if we started him on the 55+ plan. I thought the Pixel promo was only on new lines. Did I miss out by not applying right there and adding the Pixel later?

Background being I have a 6S on Verizon, he has some budget Android on T-Mobile prepaid. I was both of us to go on the 55+ plan with Pixels and take advantage of the rebate.

The pixel promo only works on a new tmobile line. That can be a line from scratch or a ported number. But its got to be a new tmobile line.