Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I found a bard orc in Cirith who I shamed and then made my buddy only to accidentally hit him a couple times during the next fight he helped out with. His icon changed from blue to yellow and I hadn't seen that before, I had a feeling I upset him but he didn't attack me during that fight.

A few minutes later, he betrays/ambushes me with a knife to another friendly captain's throat, leaves him bleeding out and comes after me, but I save the innocent friend, give bardy a gentle spanking for his overreaction and welcome him back into the fold. He's in charge of the fort now - I'm probably a bad dad, but whatever, my singsong son can do no wrong in my eyes.

Aquasnake posted:

Unlike the first game, I don't think this one has save slots. I just discovered this when I went to let my friend play on my computer. I feel like at this point every game in existence should have save slots but :shrug:

MGS Phantom Pain did something similar with no save slots because of the online component, I guess it would be too much to manage otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Peak Shadow of War right here. Get into a fight, it escalates way too much, try to catch my breath at a high ground, accidentally run into another captain, who is then interrupted by another rear end in a top hat who's like "LOL ME TOO, FUCKER" proceeding to get choked to death by this new type of orc I've never seen, fission mailed

https://youtu.be/z7Ho2Qy8eWQ

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Peak Shadow of War right here. Get into a fight, it escalates way too much, try to catch my breath at a high ground, accidentally run into another captain, who is then interrupted by another rear end in a top hat who's like "LOL ME TOO, FUCKER" proceeding to get choked to death by this new type of orc I've never seen, fission mailed

https://youtu.be/z7Ho2Qy8eWQ

You were doing so well!

I love how not only have the kills you do to the orcs gotten more brutal, but the kills they do to you are also more brutal. I had this dude basically do a mortal kombat fatality on me using a spear tip on a chain.

Also, still one of my favorite implications of this game is that when you die, your corpse is left behind. There must just be mass graves of me in Mordor at this point. They even use it in the story when I'm fighting the Witch-King and a girl decides it would just be easier to kill me and meet up with me later than to keep fighting.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This game seems to have a talent for knowing when you can least tolerate having your agenda or attention interrupted, and then they spring a loving ambush on you.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Found it on Neogaf. Someone released a cheatengine script to change FOV.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32334

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
As of Act 4 Stage 8, Sieges can go gently caress themselves. I've lost two of them up to this point for completely bogus reasons, the latest being a random bodyguard 20 levels below me somehow chased me across a couple blocks of the fortress, when everyone else had disengaged, while keeping up with my elvish speed to throw a javelin in my back that took off the last third of my health and he had the no last chance trait.

That being said, sieges still suck because there is just so much poo poo going on. Dozens upon dozens of enemies which sounds great until you try and do anything and can't target what you want to target, or you end up with three different enraged captain's around you purely because caragor's keep spawning and appearing like clockwork, or you suffer from every condition under the sun because there are a dozen different upgrades for siege assault or defense that cause mass infliction of poison, fire, curse, etc... It was great and awesome the first couple times, but now i've been through more than a dozen and it's just grindy bullshit. The only saving grace is that the initial reports of how lootboxes are important for beating this sieges is ridiculous, you get more high level captain/warchiefs that you know what to do with during these sieges and quite frankly the sheer weight of numbers and random poo poo going on during them more than makes up for the difference between epic/normal and legendary.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Roach Warehouse posted:

Does this game let me use what's left of Narsil as a dagger? If not, why not?

Narsil is in Rivendell. :eng101:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

5er posted:

This game seems to have a talent for knowing when you can least tolerate having your agenda or attention interrupted, and then they spring a loving ambush on you.

my favorite was spying on a captains duel in the bushes and some other fucklord appearing from nowhere and taunting me "they can't see you....BUT I CAN"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DLC Inc posted:

my favorite was spying on a captains duel in the bushes and some other fucklord appearing from nowhere and taunting me "they can't see you....BUT I CAN"

I had my 'interrupt the execution' mission wrecked by some maggoty bitch running in all "YOU CANNOT STOP THE SCREAMS OF AGONY I WANT TO HEAR" and I was like 'bitch I'm here to make sure that guy dies' so I murdered all three of them out of spite.

Good game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The overlord of my Seregost is named Skoth Giggles. I cannot wait to confront him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spikeguy posted:

You were doing so well!

I love how not only have the kills you do to the orcs gotten more brutal, but the kills they do to you are also more brutal. I had this dude basically do a mortal kombat fatality on me using a spear tip on a chain.

Also, still one of my favorite implications of this game is that when you die, your corpse is left behind. There must just be mass graves of me in Mordor at this point. They even use it in the story when I'm fighting the Witch-King and a girl decides it would just be easier to kill me and meet up with me later than to keep fighting.

The The Diseased template carries around vials of what I assume are your eyeballs on his belt

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I think what I appreciate about these games is that everything going loving haywire and ruining a carefully laid plan/killing you doesn’t make you go “god drat it,” it makes you go “that was cool as hell.”

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a way to prevent my captains from dying in sieges because they were too dumb to jump off the walls before they got destroyed, or is that just the price of bringing Ologs or War Graugs?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Is there any explanation for what in the goodly gently caress is going on when this game starts? I played Shadow of Mordor a lot and finished it and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

As I recall the game just kinda ends without a satisfying resolution where you just kinda fight an illusion of Sauron.

I'm assuming there's some DLC I missed that had story content about this new ring of power.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The end of Shadow Of Mordor, directly after the illusion-Sauron fight you mention, ends specifically with 'Time for a new Ring'. Shadow of War starts with...you forging the new Ring.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaptain K posted:

Is there any explanation for what in the goodly gently caress is going on when this game starts? I played Shadow of Mordor a lot and finished it and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

As I recall the game just kinda ends without a satisfying resolution where you just kinda fight an illusion of Sauron.

I'm assuming there's some DLC I missed that had story content about this new ring of power.

Shadow of Mordor literally ends with a cutscene of Talion in Mount Doom forging the new ring while Celebrimbor talks about how it will be perfect. Which is exactly where War picks up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Having a great time with the game so far, but I'm starting to wish they had changed the controls from the last one to decouple climbing and running somehow. The general idea is to hold space and point Talion in the direction you want him to go, but he's constantly magnetizing to walls and other things I don't want him climbing and it's getting me killed a lot. Nemesis is hard enough already without having to fight against my own inputs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bloodly posted:

The end of Shadow Of Mordor, directly after the illusion-Sauron fight you mention, ends specifically with 'Time for a new Ring'. Shadow of War starts with...you forging the new Ring.

The end of the first game was odd because it seemed like Celebrimbor was gonna pack it in and let Talion go on to the afterlife after getting about as much revenge that could they reasonably manage but then Talion is all like "Nah man, we got this! New ring!"

Now in the actual sequel he barely even seems to care about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kaptain K posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVEpzGdW7U

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Zore posted:

Shadow of Mordor literally ends with a cutscene of Talion in Mount Doom forging the new ring while Celebrimbor talks about how it will be perfect. Which is exactly where War picks up.

Spoiler: Things do not go smoothly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The time frame of these games is so fun to imagine. How long did Talion spend in the first game ghosting Orcs? Has he been haunting that place for decades? Centuries? Since this is so far before the LOTR trilogy there's so much you can try to think. Like I like to imagine that one of the reasons Sauron wasn't able to stomp on everyone is because he had this annoying pest just loving with his orcs any time he got a really good one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

The end of the first game was odd because it seemed like Celebrimbor was gonna pack it in and let Talion go on to the afterlife after getting about as much revenge that could they reasonably manage but then Talion is all like "Nah man, we got this! New ring!"

Now in the actual sequel he barely even seems to care about it.

Really? Celebrimbor is always "New Ring this, dominate that. Forget about these humans, they're just gonna die and the war with Sauron is all that matters." Frankly he won't shut up about it. He was easy to turn from peace because power corrupts and he really wants to get back at Sauron.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deuce posted:

Spoiler: Things do not go smoothly.

Talion: I've made a huge mistake

Narrator: He had.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spikeguy posted:

The time frame of these games is so fun to imagine. How long did Talion spend in the first game ghosting Orcs? Has he been haunting that place for decades? Centuries? Since this is so far before the LOTR trilogy there's so much you can try to think. Like I like to imagine that one of the reasons Sauron wasn't able to stomp on everyone is because he had this annoying pest just loving with his orcs any time he got a really good one.

It's kinda hard to say. In the strict LOTR universe Minas Ithil falls a millennium before LOTR.

Bilbo finds the ring about 60 years before LOTR and Minas Ithil is still there in SOW so the timeline is chopped to he'll and back.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Somewhere between the hobbit and fellowship because you can find a note or something in the first game that's some orcish rant about everyone ganging up on them in the battle of five armies. I like Talion has been doing this for so long that Minis Ithil has heard about the spooky ghost man, Talion all but announces he's a drat ghost when he first talks to the general and only his daughter seems to put two and two together.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Really? Celebrimbor is always "New Ring this, dominate that. Forget about these humans, they're just gonna die and the war with Sauron is all that matters." Frankly he won't shut up about it. He was easy to turn from peace because power corrupts and he really wants to get back at Sauron.

I meant Talion doesn't care about it even though it's his idea. It felt like he only brought it up because Let's make a New Ring seemed like a cool line to drop before the credits.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Has this game removed the option to interrogate captains and regular non-worm uruks or is that just something that's going to come along later in the game with story progression?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaptain K posted:

Has this game removed the option to interrogate captains and regular non-worm uruks or is that just something that's going to come along later in the game with story progression?

Yeah, only worms can give intel/do death threats now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

Yeah, only worms can give intel/do death threats now.

Worms piss me off in this game because they're always surrounded by non-worms, and then run away when I show up :(

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Worms piss me off in this game because they're always surrounded by non-worms, and then run away when I show up :(

Sprint into their group at full speed, palmslam the worm, and keep on running onwards to your next collectible. That's how I do it atleast.

They're usually caught so off-guard that you can insta-drain them with a sneak-drain, too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

You can also launch an interrogation by draining them from a distance (might need the talent that turns drains into brands), which makes picking them out quite a bit easier.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Seeing my branded orcs beat slaves in the first game didn’t get much more than an “Oh, that’s not good” out of me, but shaming Bruz into a crying mess made me feel like a huge douchebag. Is this what Lima Syndrome feels like?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I take it as a personal challenge not to feel bad for the orcs, and to laugh at their pain :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If Gollum isn't Sméagol any more and doesn't have the One Ring then that puts this all after The Hobbit, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is Act 3?!
This is the coolest poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so far the toughest captains for me have been the shieldbearers who block attacks from the front but also prevent vaulting over them, it's a tough fight. I mostly just get lucky hits in on them. Intel is more important than ever especially on Nemesis difficulty because you will get easily overwhelmed if you try to Batman-fight more than even 4 guys at a time. I'm finding that I need to utilize like, all my runes, equips, and skills just to survive encounters and I love it. It's the hardcore nightmare world I wanted Mordor to be years ago.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shoehead posted:

If Gollum isn't Sméagol any more and doesn't have the One Ring then that puts this all after The Hobbit, right?

Gollum's lore entry in the appendices says that Bilbo's got the ring and is back in the shire

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Gondorian sergeants are some hardcore motherfuckers.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Red Mundus posted:

Found it on Neogaf. Someone released a cheatengine script to change FOV.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32334

Thank you. The narrow FOV was always a peeve for me with SoM. It hasn't bothered me too much in this one, but it sure was nice to raise it a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone found a good & easy way to apply poison on a captain during combat? I've been using the Elven Light (might bar AoE) poison side-grade, but i really wanna switch it out for something more devastating. I could use the poison side-grade to Mighty Shot, but it's so useful to have frost there for difficult 1v1 fights.

• Locked thread