Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

therobit posted:

"Fungibility" means actually being able to spend it, so it is kind of the one feature that would push it over the edge to being useful.

Liquidity means being able to actually spend it. Fungibility means units are indistinguishable from each other. Gold is fungible, one ounce of gold is the same as any other ounce of gold. Oil is mostly fungible. Cars are not fungible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

One day your great, great, great, great, great grandchild will go to that restaurant, and there will be a legend passed down of that rear end in a top hat drifter who stiffed the ancestor of the waiter. Funnily enough, he had the same last name and came from the same town.

This reminded me of something that should belong in this thread, but doesn't!

Trusted Assistant Lending, where chinese banks in the 1800s would lend to future bureaucrats in the hopes of their obtaining civil service posts. The loans were illegal, unenforceable, there was no repeat lending, the bureaucrats were often far away from their lenders and there were no social consequences to default. But somehow they were lucrative to the banks because of the trusted assistants.

The chinese civil service exams focused on academic Confucian thought, which would not prepare them to actually serve in the civil service. Trusted assistants were agents of the lender assigned to guide the bureaucrat through the social and political maze of wherever they were assigned. Trusted assistants had soft power to aid the bureaucrat in establishing their tenure, as well as representing the lender's interests to determine how much could be repaid. But wait, this is far away from the lender, why wouldn't the assistant merely take bribes from the borrower to capture those returns? Because the trusted assistant was from the region of the bank's operation and had social consequences, as well as future advancement based on the performance of the loans they oversaw. Additionally, trusted assistants were most valuable at the start of a term and would decline in value to the borrower as they became established in their post.

The BWM is probably the people who failed their civil service exams, because they were typically poor to start with and lost most possibilites for advancement by failing their exams. But if they passed and got a post, they had to hire their own staff before they could travel to their post and start collecting taxes.

https://helda.helsinki.fi/bof/bitstream/handle/123456789/14908/dp1317.pdf?sequence=1

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

John Smith posted:

I happen to disagree, but I respect your right to hold your opinion.

However, my post was with regards to his ultimatum to Moneyball, attempting to compel him from posting here until Moneyball backs down. Exactly how does he intend to enforce that? He is clearly an idiot.

normally when you say something completely dipshitted, and someone calls you out on it the decent thing to do isnt really double or triple down on it much less start throwing probies around over it, its say "oops im sorry for being a dipshit fuckhole, and I'll stop"

since that isnt happening i guess it rankles some folks sensibilities and i cant blame em.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Smith posted:

edit: Please don't fuel the fire
Moneyball, stop editing my poo poo unless you edit your enemies as well.

You may think it is fair to edit me since I support you. It is not fair when you are scared to edit your enemies out of fears of bias claims. If you wish to be even-handed, edit (blank out) every single person including your friends and ***enemies***.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sneakyfrog posted:

normally when you say something completely dipshitted, and someone calls you out on it the decent thing to do isnt really double or triple down on it much less start throwing probies around over it, its say "oops im sorry for being a dipshit fuckhole, and I'll stop"

since that isnt happening i guess it rankles some folks sensibilities and i cant blame em.
Even though I completely oppose these people, I am not blaming them for that.

My point was that pr0zac is stupid to issue orders to Moneyball, when he has no means to coerce Moneyball into obedience. How the hell is he going to enforce his will on Moneyball?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a messed up horse posted:

pr0zac is right and Moneyball is being an rear end.

Just gonna throw my hat into this inevitable mass probation ring too.

John Smith posted:

It would severely weaken his position. Backing down when first challenged can be played off as reconsideration. Backing down to threats after firmly stating refusal, can only be weakness.

Man you got a real hosed up idea of how people work buddy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

My point was that pr0zac is stupid to issue orders to Moneyball, when he has no means to coerce Moneyball into obedience. How the hell is he going to enforce his will on Moneyball?

John Smith posted:

Moneyball, stop editing my poo poo unless you edit your enemies as well.

:thunk:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol at moneyball posting toucans while he himself is the toucan

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nope. I explicitly thought about that, read the reminder of my post (where my stick comes in).

Which you very conveniently edited out. Who is the hypocrite here?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Smith posted:

Even though I completely oppose these people, I am not blaming them for that.

He was using moneyballs words against him not actually telling him not to post anymore. Please gain a little self awareness before talking about forums enemies in the future.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Senor Dog posted:

He was using moneyballs words against him not actually telling him not to post anymore. Please gain a little self awareness before talking about forums enemies in the future.

pr0zac posted:

[Moneyball] stop posting in this thread until you've ... publicly apologize to [TB]

TTerrible posted:

Do not show weakness on this internet comedy forum, I beg of you.
Ok, serious question. I fully confess I am bad at reading people.

If this is corporate in real life, would you agree that my analysis is reasonable? If yes, then why is it different just because the stakes are much lower? Money may not be at sake here, but ego surely is, no?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Do not show weakness on this internet comedy forum, I beg of you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I can't believe this needs explaining but I don't think anyone here considers anyone else to be their "enemy." Moneyball seems like an alright person and like most people they sometimes do lovely stuff. I would really appreciate it if they were to apologize for the lovely stuff instead of doubling down on it but I'm not like, demanding that their modship be stripped from them and they be forever driven from the forums in shame. If you can't recognize that people are more complex than "sides" or "enemies" I really don't know what to tell you.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

pr0zac posted:

Please stop posting in this thread until you've cooled enough to publicly apologize to the woman you insulted and keep probating for pointing out your (probable inadvertent) sexism. It would take twenty seconds and your stubbornness is doing more damage to this thread than she ever did by driving away posters that care about having diversity protected and building an echo chamber.

The context of the thread is making fun of relatives and redditors behind their backs with an unhealthy amount of schadenfreude. It's a thread of assholes doing rear end in a top hat things. Huge assholes. I really don't see the line that Moneyball crossed by calling someone an It. That's like 2/10, hardly rankling at all compared to the overall tone of the thread. Are you the one who thinks women need to be white knighted, coddled and protected? Perhaps YOU are the (probable inadvertent) sexist.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
John Smith do you approach all interpersonal communication as if you're trying to stare down a wild animal?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Eh its just rude. Just put on your big boy pants and apologize like an adult is all im saying.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TTerrible posted:

John Smith do you approach all interpersonal communication as if you're trying to stare down a wild animal?

I mean, it would explain a lot honestly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

John Smith posted:

Ok, serious question. I fully confess I am bad at reading people.

If this is corporate in real life, would you agree that my analysis is reasonable? If yes, then why is it different just because the stakes are much lower? Money may not be at sake here, but ego surely is, no?

I think being able to own up to being wrong/lovely is more important than putting your ego on an unchallengable pedestal that must not be toppled at all costs. Acting like this is a weakness that must be extinguished makes people awfully agressive and lovely. (this is not a comment on moneyball, but a response to John Smiths question)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think John Smith acts like he's staring down a /b/ mod not a reasonable actual person

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

I can't believe this needs explaining but I don't think anyone here considers anyone else to be their "enemy." Moneyball seems like an alright person and like most people they sometimes do lovely stuff. I would really appreciate it if they were to apologize for the lovely stuff instead of doubling down on it but I'm not like, demanding that their modship be stripped from them and they be forever driven from the forums in shame. If you can't recognize that people are more complex than "sides" or "enemies" I really don't know what to tell you.
Your position is entirely reasonable. But I do not hold your position. Have I not demonstrated myself to be very much a hardliner?

sneakyfrog posted:

Eh its just rude. Just put on your big boy pants and apologize like an adult is all im saying.
And Moneyball has already indicated no.

TTerrible posted:

I think being able to own up to being wrong/lovely is more important than putting your ego on an unchallengable pedestal that must not be toppled at all costs. Acting like this is a weakness that must be extinguished makes people awfully agressive and lovely. (this is not a comment on moneyball, but a response to John Smiths question)
Reasonable position. But my point is valid, no? Just because you want people to dismiss ego, doesn't make ego unimportant. And all this is assuming that Moneyball even agrees with you that he is wrong.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh dude add it to the historical BWM thread

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'll leave the derail here, but i'm specifically not talking about moneyball. I thought your original NEVER BACK DOWN, NEVER SHOW WEAKNESS comments were weird as gently caress and thats about it.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TTerrible posted:

I'll leave the derail here, but i'm specifically not talking about moneyball. I thought your original NEVER BACK DOWN, NEVER SHOW WEAKNESS comments were weird as gently caress and thats about it.
Your take is unreasonable. My point was that to back down to threats after very explicitly and publicly refusing to, is to show weakness. Quite obviously so, no? Since you are not backing down because of reconsideration, but purely from threats and fear. Motive matters.

As for whether weakness is acceptable, different people can reasonably have different positions. I do not claim to be indisputably right on this. But surely you can understand that ***some people*** will think not. [And once again, I do not think Moneyball is wrong to begin with]

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Look ma, there's someone out there being bad with money!

quote:

10k Loan to help my parents get out of debt.

quote:

Would it be detrimental for my credit/financial future for me to take out a 10k loan to help my parents pay off their credit card debt? If so, are there any alternative solutions?
Some background information; my parents emigrated to Canada from Poland/Czech Republic in their early 20's and faced financial hardships and continue to work low level manufacturing jobs. In the 1990s they amassed credit debt to make ends meet while raising 3 kids and eventually declared bankruptcy. As of today they have around 10k worth of credit card debt that they are unable to pull themselves out of. They are making minimum payments on a wide variety of maxed out (no longer used) credit cards with insanely high interest rates. They have tried to secure traditional debt consolidation loans but are always rejected due to their credit scores. I'm 23, working full time, living at home making 35k a year and have been pre-approved for a 3 year, 10k loan with an 10.99% interest rate (12.97% APR). The estimated monthly payment would be $338.21. My parents would be capable of making these payments once they use the loan to pay down their existing debts so I'm not considering this an additional monthly expense rather I worry about the impact on my credit score and ability to take out another loan/mortgage down the line.

I'm making $35k/yr, let me take out a $10k loan to pay off my parents debt. Yes, I do currently have $8k in student loan debt.

Know who's not being bad with money? Moneyball. Shhh.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Zauper posted:

Look ma, there's someone out there being bad with money!

I'm making $35k/yr, let me take out a $10k loan to pay off my parents debt. Yes, I do currently have $8k in student loan debt.

Know who's not being bad with money? Moneyball. Shhh.

Not saying he should do it, but 35k while living at home at 23 isn't the worst situation in the world unless he has an undisclosed horse on the side. If the parents are consistently making their payments, and if they'd agree to close the accounts that they're paying high interest on (as to not just rack em back up once the balances are cleared), and if they budget in more than that minimum payment to get that loan squared away before the 3 years is up, it's not The Worst Idea.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
It's fine on paper but these things go lovely like 95% of the time, and nobody thinks they're gonna be the 95%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

John Smith posted:

3) Lastly, Moneyball can hardly back down now whether he is right or wrong (I think he is right). It would severely weaken his position. Backing down when first challenged can be played off as reconsideration. Backing down to threats after firmly stating refusal, can only be weakness.

shut the gently caress up, backing down when you're wrong is an intelligent and humane thing to do you face-obsessed lemur

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

potatoducks posted:

It's fine on paper but these things go lovely like 95% of the time, and nobody thinks they're gonna be the 95%.

Their parents have had to declare bankruptcy once before because they couldn't control spending.

If he wants to help his parents, pay them rent....after helping them with a budget. Pay off his student loans and kick the monthly payment he puts on the student loans (~350) + some of his other extra income towards helping them with their bills.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

shut the gently caress up, backing down when you're wrong is an intelligent and humane thing to do you face-obsessed lemur

I just remembered that John Smith is a perfect star child that has never made any mistakes in his life, no wonder he thinks the only reason people would change their position is due to threats and not, you know, self-reflection

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

potatoducks posted:

This is the real reason that it's a bad idea.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

I just remembered that John Smith is a perfect star child that has never made any mistakes in his life, no wonder he thinks the only reason people would change their position is due to threats and not, you know, self-reflection
I have made numerous mistakes, of varying magnitudes. But yes, I have indeed succeeded in not screwing up big.

Nonetheless, I actively seek to correct myself and learn from my mistakes in real life. Because I can earn more and otherwise benefit from it. What incentive is pr0zac offering Moneyball to obey him? Pray tell... Moneyball has already considered the matter, it is not as if any new information has come to light on this issue.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Apologizing is not a weakness.. :psyduck:

I have given goons many apologies, sometimes for misunderstanding their posts, or probating someone when I shouldn't have. I apologized for loving up the TGRS project, and am trying to do better.. I don't think that's weak. I think it's important to stay active my community (TGRS) and maintain a good relationship with my posters there and elsewhere on the forums. Obviously there are still gonna dicks who follow me around and attempt to drag me, but it is what it is.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koalas March posted:

Apologizing is not a weakness.. :psyduck:

I have given goons many apologies, sometimes for misunderstanding their posts, or probating someone when I shouldn't have. I apologized for loving up the TGRS project, and am trying to do better.. I don't think that's weak. I think it's important to stay active my community (TGRS) and maintain a good relationship with my posters there and elsewhere on the forums. Obviously there are still gonna dicks who follow me around and attempt to drag me, but it is what it is.
Apologising out of sincerity is not weakness. Apologising because you are browbeaten into it, and give up is weakness.

Moneyball has indicated that he gave due thought to the issue and that he stands his ground. And no new information has arisen now (since after all, it is a fairly straightforward situation). Doing something because you think it is a good idea is very different from because ***other*** people think it is a good idea. I apologise many times in real life too (in response to your example).

John Smith fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

John Smith posted:

I have made numerous mistakes, of varying magnitudes. But yes, I have indeed succeeded in not screwing up big.

Nonetheless, I actively seek to correct myself and learn from my mistakes in real life. Because I can earn more and otherwise benefit from it. What incentive is pr0zac offering Moneyball to obey him? Pray tell... Moneyball has already considered the matter, it is not as if any new information has come to light on this issue.

What is this "obey" crap? It is one person showing solidarity with another over an insult, and making it clear to the aggressor that his behavior is unacceptable. People interacting with people, the entire point of an internet forum.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eldred posted:

What is this "obey" crap? It is one person showing solidarity with another over an insult, and making it clear to the aggressor that his behavior is unacceptable. People interacting with people, the entire point of an internet forum.

pr0zac posted:

[Moneyball] stop posting in this thread until you've ... publicly apologize to [TB]

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Alright, so we'll give this another try. Just because a number of posters are unsatisfied, it should not hold up an otherwise awesome thread.

If you're not TB, that issue has nothing to do with you and I'm not getting in to it, so drop it. If that's not good enough, there is an admin team to contact, but otherwise leave it out of the thread. I'm not going to take anything personally, but it has to be annoying as hell to thread regulars. Thread regulars: sorry :shobon:

No punishments for last week's trainwreck, but going forward, stick to what the thread was made for. If people start fighting each other or bringing this thing back up again, I've got to be a little less lenient.

Let's have some content!

I'm 18, and my mom wants me to get a loan in my name to pay our overdue bills? posted:

I live with my mom and we are hopelessly behind on bills. She has asked me to look into getting a student loan, because she says that I won't have to pay interest on it for a couple years, and it won't be very much when I do. I guess my question is, is that a bad idea? I'm scared of ruining my credit or going into debt, and I don't know much about how it works anyway, but I don't know if I have any other option. If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful. I really don't know what to do.

y'all got any of those BWM horse stories?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
When your ponzi scheme collapses and you end up owing your own company $7m.

quote:

Damien Grant and Steven Khov estimated the company owed at least $7,062,598 because they said Hibbs had breached several director duties under the Companies Act. These included incurring debt when the company could not pay it back and carrying out business in a manner that "created a substantial risk of serious loss to its creditors".

In his August High Court decision, Justice David Gendall said it seemed the debts Hansa incurred were "orchestrated entirely by Mr Hibbs".

"I am satisfied that Mr Hibbs began breaching his duties as a director from as early as 4 November 2008, being the date the first investment was made by the current creditors."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/98034238/175-million-ponzi-schemer-paul-hibbs-ordered-to-pay-his-failed-company-7-million

Sorry but he didn't buy a horse with whatever money he received.

We do have a horse that is a debt collector in New Zealand.
https://www.racing.com/horses/the-debt-collector-nz-nz

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 19, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

reddit posted:

Hello
I didn't know where to put my issue but I thought this may be the right place.
I had a huge fight with my fiancé and we broke up. I gived her a stunning sparkler 45k diamond engagement ring and I've told her that I want it back. She doesn't deserve to have an expensive ring like this anymore.
She was very mad and furious she started to throw things at me and told me no way in hell I will give it back to you, it's mine now She was yelling and cussing. It like she completely freaked out when I mentioned that I want my ring back. She really scared the hell out of you.
What should I do now to have my ring back? if I called the police will they force her to return it to me ?
Please help me, thank you all

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/77c1ly/i_broke_up_with_my_fianc%C3%A9_i_want_my_45k/

45 THOUSAND DOLLARS? Hoooooooly poo poo. How big is that diamond??

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Moneyball posted:

y'all got any of those BWM horse stories?

So you want to work with horsies...

some poor bastard posted:

Can I have input on salaries of a show barn manager - if this is a great opportunity or the going rate. I will list the tasks and what the return is.

Job:
Help complete barn chores for about an hour in the morning including turnout, feeding, stalls, watering while at home for 24 weeks out of the year. Grooming and tacking/untacking horses usually no more than 4 per day for the trainer to ride. Cleaning tack, bathing, daily treatments, trimming. When there is time or needed; organizing different storage rooms in the barn, moving/organizing jumps. Occasionally a horse will need to be ridden or hacked. Feeding and doing night check in the afternoon. Working at home is usually between a 6 and 7 hour day. At shows feeding, waters, stalls (between 6-12), turnout (if applicable), lunging horses, bathing. Packing all equipment for the show, preparing orders and schedule for the following day, all horse show office paperwork, preparing entries/closeouts, contacting the braider, ordering feed/bedding/manure removal, farm paperwork. Tacking and care for the full service clients. Grooming at the ring, setting jumps, holding a horse at the ring, etc. Picking, feeding, and night check at night. Showing is about 28 weeks out of the year and usually a 13 hour day if not longer.

Salary of $550 a week
Work 6 days a week

Receive up to 3 lessons a week
Receive training and/or trailering at shows
Receive housing at the shows, food at half of the shows
Opportunity to ride occasionally
Body clipping on the show horses
I pay rent while at home
Hotels and gas while traveling to a location is at my expense (ex: to/from florida)

the same poor bastard posted:

I would be the employee in the northeast.

The barn has 30 horses that are stalled with 3 other full time employees. They typically do all of the barn work, when I have time since my horses are outside, I help them in the morning for about an hour give or take doing waters to help their day run a little smoother.

The hours at home are 9-430/5 depending on the day, sometimes a bit sooner or bit later. This includes a 1.5 hr break in the day to lesson 3 days a week (this is valued at $600) and 3 days a week the break is 1 hour for lunch. During the horse shows I am lucky to lesson 1x a week, so that value declines..

Board is not included and I pay that out of pocket, $850 per month.

I pay rent for myself with utilities included at $550 a month.

I am given the opportunity to body clip the show horses, which is between 5-12 every other month, which is additional money even as a check.

When i do show (rarely) I do not pay trainer fees, I pay shipping at all shows except to one circuit that is 5 minutes away from the farm so that becomes included.

At the shows I typically start around 530-6 and finish around 6:30 but then have to go ride my horse at home.

I am not tipped at shows. I have one client who gives me $50 per circuit, the rest including the full service client does not tip or offer anything.

At the shows with no open barn tab I am on my own as far as food goes, one show has a barn split so my lunch or meal for that day is split. Otherwise I am on my own.

I have never been given a per diem for food or gas/travel expenses when on the road. This summer I did have housing paid for at the 2 week show we went to.
This past winter in Florida I paid my travel, food, gas, and rent, in addition to board. I was miserable, and ran negative.
I have talked briefly to the employer about the situation for this winter due to finances, rent is trying to be included, however it is a very small apartment in the barn right next to the first stall, there's no privacy, and no get away from the horses, it is probably 20x12 with a bed,sink, toilet all in the same space. I have a hard time accepting this being the show barn manager/head groom. The trainer is renting a large house on the property for herself and the clients, which has plenty of room. I am not trying to be unappreciative but at the same time I think between the pay and hours but in this arrangement is silly.

Fortunately the collective response from the crowd of horse ladies is "you're getting screwed". One noted that she was being paid the same wage as OP in the same position in 1974...plus tips.

[Insert "financially stable" pun here]

OP posted:

I am currently free leasing an amazing upper-level horse who I absolutely adore. I am financially stable & can comfortable afford to pay for him and all of my other bills, but I do have some debt (student loans & credit cards) that I would love to have paid off for various reasons (ie: I don't like having debt & I would be able to use those monthly payments for other things).

I've done the math and if I was horseless for 8 months, I would be able to pay off my credit card & student loans.
If I keep the horse, it will take me about 2.5 years to pay off my debt.

I know it would financially be best & more responsible to make a short-term sacrifice for a quicker longer-term benefit, which is why it has been on my mind for the last 1-2 months. But of course, I enjoy riding and it keeps me happy & mentally level.

I am pretty happy with my current lease. For me, I have had to take many breaks from horses over the years for various reasons (college, bought a house, work, etc...) so it becomes very discouraging to have to take, yet, another break from horses, even if it would hopefully be the last one.

Side-note: yes, I am considering adjusting my budget to pay off my debt sooner & still keep my horse.

I guess in reality, I am just looking for reassurance on what others have done in the past. I know 8 months isn't very long and in the long run, it would be well worth the wait.

Other posters chime in with some unsound advice:

quote:

I agree that anything could pop up to create more debt, but for me that's just a reason to keep the horse and stay happy. Sure, you can take 8 months off and pay off your current debt. What happens if something else creates more debt? Do you stay off horses for longer to pay THAT off? Again? And again?

Life is short. We don't get to take our money with us into the after life. If you're paying your bills and are comfortable, I say keep the horse and just take longer to pay off the debt.
I guess it depends on just how miserable you'd be without a horse in your life. For me, being miserable is not worth getting some debt paid off faster.

But, if you really want to get the current debt paid off sooner, give up the lease horse and maybe continue at a lesson with just one lesson a week.

ETA: I'm really curious to know the ages of responders? Opinions on this will vary greatly between my generation (Millennial, apparently, though I tend to identify more with Gen X) and Baby Boomers or earlier.
Let's be real. Wages compared to cost of living today make it MUCH harder, down right impossible for some, for us younger generations to be able to save for huge "emergency funds" and retirement plans. Yes, we should try to have those things, but it isn't a huge "must have" I feel, mostly because it's just all that easy for us anymore. I'm not going to spend my days only working and doing nothing I enjoy simply to save money. No thanks, not how I want to spend my life.
Maybe it's impossible for you to have an emergency fund and save for retirement because you HAVE A HORSE.

quote:

Totally agree. I am probably around this posters age. I feel like OP is financially responsible because she is still paying down these debts. Most people have some sort of debt especially these days. There is no shame in carrying around a little cc debt if it is manageable.

quote:

I'm not saying go hog wild and live above your means, but carrying a bit of unsecured debt? Meh, not a big deal.

OP is broke, asks about debt consolidation, still HAS A HORSE

quote:

Okay, so my debt isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, but last year while I was homeless and jobless for several months, I racked up a high 4 figure debt split between two credit cards.

I recently lost my job (due to my date for my chest surgery being up in the air, and my employer getting it in her head that I could get the call at any moment and have surgery the next day, leaving her hanging, which in reality I'd have at least 2 weeks notice between the call with my date and actually going in for surgery), am receiving the minimum amount of income assistance through the ministry of social development, am waiting to find out if I will be approved for disability or not, and there is no guarantee that I will find employment before I get my surgery date (and then there is a very slim chance of me having a job to go back to after I have recovered). So I'm barely keeping my head above water.

One of the credit card companies has decided that they want to dramatically increase my minimum payments, despite already making a huge increase in January. I will not be able to pay rent if they do so. As it stands, I make barely enough to cover my rent and groceries.

So because I am struggling so badly at this point, I am looking at going to see a debt consolidator. But I don't know anybody who has used one, and I don't know what to expect. I am super anxious because money is one of my biggest stressors, combined with the anxiety I have about meeting new people, and I also worry that my debt is too small for them to bother looking at, which leaves me completely screwed.

Other than refusing to pay the increased minimum payment amount and continuing to pay the amount I have been since the last increase (and risking them taking legal action against me), and hoping to heck a debt consolidator can help, is there anything I can do? I am unable to get help from family for reasons I won't go into. Pony luckily is entirely paid for, between his leaser and my BO using him as a lesson pony. I have sold off what tack and gear I can get away with downsizing on as well, and put the money from that on the cards. Had I not been homeless for the period that I was, I absolutely would NOT have racked up the debt and I would be fine right now.

Sorry for the "woe is me" money nonsense, but my COTH family has proven helpful in the past so I'm hopeful that someone will have some insight!
Yeah somehow I doubt she is spending $0 on that pony. It's a horse, it'll see an ant and rack up a $10,000 vet bill.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
These people need divorces from their horses.