Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kind of bummed I apparently missed the boat on nabbing the one Starfinder miniature I really wanted before they launched their kickstarter, since apparently their reputation for delivering is not the best and that was probably the only chance to get it as a single miniature (since the KS doesn't have a 'I just want one mini' pledge and they'll apparently only be sold in a bundle at retail). The comments feature a whole bunch of making GBS threads on Ninja Division/Soda Pop for failing to deliver their other Kickstarters.

Guess I'll have to wait for ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Numenera 2, honestly it's not a 2nd edition even though it's really a 2nd edition has hit $460k with 15 days to go. I continue to be amazed at Monte Cook's ability to get money for mediocre game design.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Liquid Communism posted:

They'd be doing better if the rules for SS2e weren't a wet fart and L5R wasn't dominating the 'I wanna be a samurai' demographic.

Oh yeah, FFG is definitely totally dominating the "John Wick Samurai Game" conversation (and for good reason, it looks promising). Waiting for the release of the L5R LCG would have paid off better if they actually told you more about why you should case about Kuso other than "Remember John's Wicks Previous Samurai Game". FFG dropping the RPG Beta the same day had to be planned, and it definitely was a brutal move.

Might also help to have actually finished the first Kickstarter too. The books are coming along at a fantastic (if sometimes poorly proofread) rate, but I have a friend who is super salty that the world map isn't out yet because it was one of the things he was most interested in. It has also never been mentioned outside the mapmakers Twitter apparently.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kind of bummed I apparently missed the boat on nabbing the one Starfinder miniature I really wanted before they launched their kickstarter, since apparently their reputation for delivering is not the best and that was probably the only chance to get it as a single miniature (since the KS doesn't have a 'I just want one mini' pledge and they'll apparently only be sold in a bundle at retail). The comments feature a whole bunch of making GBS threads on Ninja Division/Soda Pop for failing to deliver their other Kickstarters.

They've mismanaged a lot of their current KS's, but I think the majority of the hate is coming from Rail Raiders which "fulfilled" recently, but was clouded in a lot of lovely tactics and lies on their part. Sounds like you're not gonna do it anyway, but I definitely wouldn't recommend going with ND/SP on Kickstarter.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh yeah, FFG is definitely totally dominating the "John Wick Samurai Game" conversation (and for good reason, it looks promising). Waiting for the release of the L5R LCG would have paid off better if they actually told you more about why you should case about Kuso other than "Remember John's Wicks Previous Samurai Game". FFG dropping the RPG Beta the same day had to be planned, and it definitely was a brutal move.

Might also help to have actually finished the first Kickstarter too. The books are coming along at a fantastic (if sometimes poorly proofread) rate, but I have a friend who is super salty that the world map isn't out yet because it was one of the things he was most interested in. It has also never been mentioned outside the mapmakers Twitter apparently.

Wait.

Kuso?

As in kusoge?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait.

Kuso?

As in kusoge?

Haha, unfortunately it is actually Fuso.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Merauder posted:

Pretty sure they DID have an option to just get the dragon, since it's a separate add-on. Pledge for $1 and add $65 on later.

Yeah, but what about the tarrasque? :negative:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ninja Division is basically bizarro-world CMON, where all the business people work on the games and all the game designers work on the business. Minus anyone like Eric Lang or Mr Black.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This year's Shadowfist LCG release, A Better Tomorrow, went live yesterday. Anyone who wants to get in, there's no better time: they're doing a fire sale on the old product including the base game, so you can make a no reward pledge and get Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds for $30.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Frank Metzner's Empyrean finally posted an update. The update is that they intend to relaunch the kickstarter with a lower goal.
(For some reason the update is backers only, I'm sure it describes why this is feasible, and their revised 'strategy' but I won't be able to take a look until after work.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

This year's Shadowfist LCG release, A Better Tomorrow, went live yesterday. Anyone who wants to get in, there's no better time: they're doing a fire sale on the old product including the base game, so you can make a no reward pledge and get Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds for $30.
How is the Shadowfist LCG? I played the poo poo out of the CCG back in the day, but I haven't heard anything about this new version.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Haha, unfortunately it is actually Fuso.

Disappointing, John Wick had a tradition to maintain of adopting deeply insulting Japanese words as names.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438234520/card-dice-round-2

Uh huh.

fake edit: not his first rodeo to get these off the ground.

fake edit 2: from his first (and only successful) project, which managed to squeak by its $110 goal with $111:

quote:

About 55 years ago, I was a little kid that stuck two fingers into a wall socket just out of curiosity. The resulting electric shock traveled up to my elbow before I pulled away!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, that's the only kickstarter I've ever seen that has an upper limit on the total amount of money that can be pledged toward the campaign.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sometimes, not always but sometimes, you can get a feel for how a project is going by checking the comments attached to it, and Empyrea is one of those times.

quote:

IMO, this is the biggest live campaign we ever have. All RPGers are separated by different game systems in all these years. Mentzer is trying to unite us all under his flag, i.e., Empyrea.

Sadly, These guys don’t know how to marketing themselves (They don’t even know how to use the sketch goals properly OMG). Dudes, imagine this, how about all the FRP characters live in the same whole world, whatever your game is powered by FATE, PbtA, SW, PF, OSR, BECMI, 5E, GURPS, BRP, T&T, Champions, BASH, Open D6, MYZ (and those under OGL) whatever. And this is a LIVE Campaign! Your characters could change the world! We could change Empyrea altogether! I have never seen such an ambitious project before. This is a historical moment in the industry!

Please understand that Mentzer is an old school designer who try to fit in by using these “new tools”. The Red box was my first game and he inspired me so much. Empyrea is his life’s works and he is trying to share it with us by making it “lives” again. This campaign is just the first step, more game engine could be included later time.

Don’t let Empyrea dies here. It could be now or never.

And something else of note is that Frank Mentzer, the man of the hour, is conspicuously absent from the comments of his own Kickstarter, apparently having farmed out community interaction duties to some guy named Mike Myler. Why isn't Frank answering all the questions people have about his grand magnum opus himself, like a lot of other Kickstarter creators find the time to do somehow? Let's ask Mike:

quote:

Jason: Frank's really busy doing other stuff, which is why I'm around. Most of what he does is kind of weird. :)

You don't say.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

To be fair, Frank not doing it himself is probably smart after Dragonsfoot.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

How is the Shadowfist LCG? I played the poo poo out of the CCG back in the day, but I haven't heard anything about this new version.

Despite owning the base game (bought it for like 10 bucks during my FLGS' end of year Inventory Tax Avoidance sale), I would like to know the answer of this. It seems like it would play a lot like the original game, but if someone has some experience, that'd be cool.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Games > Traditional Games > TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Dudes, imagine this,

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

To be fair, Frank not doing it himself is probably smart after Dragonsfoot.

On the other hand half the comments in that Kickstarter are people holding Mentzer up as a shining golden god of game design and so it seems even weirder that the man himself doesn't seem interested in putting in an appearance. Running a Kickstarter is, by all accounts, a lot of fuckin work, but part of that work is engaging with the community while it's ongoing because that's part of how you let people know that you as the creator are actively engaged with things and not just sitting back hoping a bunch of money rolls in. Farming that duty out to a spokesman is a weird look.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People who are bad at social engagement are very well advised to hire an employee who is good at social engagement, and that shouldn't be controversial. Probably the campaign lead should draft statements and have someone work them over before release, too, or even just put their name on a statement drafted by someone else. But I think it's actually a positive development, if, as I've gotten the impression here, this guy tends to say poo poo he shouldn't.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Disappointing, John Wick had a tradition to maintain of adopting deeply insulting Japanese words as names.

For being a pretty good character, Kokujin sure set that bar pretty high.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

For being a pretty good character, Kokujin sure set that bar pretty high.

The Otaku family were there first.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

Frank Metzner's Empyrean finally posted an update. The update is that they intend to relaunch the kickstarter with a lower goal.
(For some reason the update is backers only, I'm sure it describes why this is feasible, and their revised 'strategy' but I won't be able to take a look until after work.)
Wow, so exactly what they should have done in the first place. This is my surprised face. :geno:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

quote:

IMO, this is the biggest live campaign we ever have. All RPGers are separated by different game systems in all these years. Mentzer is trying to unite us all under his flag, i.e., Empyrea

Am I being conquered?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mentzer is going to climb your table and plant a flag on your highest point.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And then he'll insult your ability scores.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh wow, I just checked in on one I considered backing, and again I'm glad I didn't. City-State of the Invincible Overlord. It's not quite Skarka level, but it's another one where people are saying, "Look, if it's in layout, send us what you have" and the creators are saying nothing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

People who are bad at social engagement are very well advised to hire an employee who is good at social engagement, and that shouldn't be controversial. Probably the campaign lead should draft statements and have someone work them over before release, too, or even just put their name on a statement drafted by someone else. But I think it's actually a positive development, if, as I've gotten the impression here, this guy tends to say poo poo he shouldn't.

Having a spokesman might not be controversial but A). people in the comments section are asking why Mentzer can't answer some of their questions himself, which isn't unreasonable, but more importantly B). there's only been one update posted to the KS so far which is a statement that they're shutting down and starting over. "No updates" is a pretty big warning sign that the person running the KS doesn't know what they're doing, and the lack of direct interaction with his backers only serves to amplify the impression that Frank is checked out.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, I just checked in on one I considered backing, and again I'm glad I didn't. City-State of the Invincible Overlord. It's not quite Skarka level, but it's another one where people are saying, "Look, if it's in layout, send us what you have" and the creators are saying nothing.

They are clearly just taking lessons from Exalted development. You wouldn't want to ruin the surprise or, worse yet, the *experience* of opening and reading a fully-formed game? A good release should be like slowly unwrapping the perfect Christmas present, not just dumped on the floor because the children think they want it sooner

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

The rules have been tidied very slightly and it's been pared down to six factions, but otherwise it's exactly the same game you used to play.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

DalaranJ posted:

Wow, that's the only kickstarter I've ever seen that has an upper limit on the total amount of money that can be pledged toward the campaign.

Yeah, occasionally they happen. And amazingly enough most of those that do limit all the tiers you can pledge don't actually leave enough open to meet their goals.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like the lesson is don't pledge a kickstarter based on the strength of a name from thirty years ago.

I wonder if there's a current kickstarter I can apply this reasoning to. Oh! Oh...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The rules have been tidied very slightly and it's been pared down to six factions, but otherwise it's exactly the same game you used to play.

To the point where they still have some old booster boxes that you can snag as an addon and use with the LCG version.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

senrath posted:

Yeah, occasionally they happen. And amazingly enough most of those that do limit all the tiers you can pledge don't actually leave enough open to meet their goals.

You can pledge for more money than the tier you select costs. I don't know if anyone ever does this unless it's for add-ons, but you totally could!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Invisible Sun is at the printer's! I should probably start learning how to write a FATAL & Friends.

why did I kickstart that loving thing
those two hundred dollars could have bought many peanuts

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Dude.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That whole Empyrea thing... When I play in fantasy settings, I tend to homebrew them with really different assumptions to the standard fantasy. Why on earth would I view this campaign to get us all in the same universe as a good thing?

(For bonus irony points, I've done something slightly similar before, where I've had other players I know do 'NPC turns' once before each game session and once after showing broad attitudes and goals, for the active players to interact with. It's an interesting way of avoiding the pitfall of all the NPCs thinking like you, if you have that problem, but there's a lot of book keeping involved.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

Works for me!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Loomer posted:

That whole Empyrea thing... When I play in fantasy settings, I tend to homebrew them with really different assumptions to the standard fantasy. Why on earth would I view this campaign to get us all in the same universe as a good thing?

This is just speculation, but I feel like what's attractive to people about that scenario/stuff like Living Greyhawk is the concept that your PCs could become influential figures for an entire game line, not just at your table -- that, if you're "good enough" at roleplaying, your PC could be the next Elminster or Mordenkainen, or at least be recognized as "the dude who slayed Orthrax the Burninator and saved Thatchedroofcottagedale." Basically, people really want other people to care about their roleplaying characters, and the best way to make people care is to enshrine them as setting fixtures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'm not sure that anyone actually does care. Just because Mentzer's offering it doesn't mean that people are backing it for that reason. His name matters to some, and that I think is a better basis of what support he managed.