Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dongattack posted:

Has anyone found a good & easy way to apply poison on a captain during combat? I've been using the Elven Light (might bar AoE) poison side-grade, but i really wanna switch it out for something more devastating. I could use the poison side-grade to Mighty Shot, but it's so useful to have frost there for difficult 1v1 fights.

Get a dagger that applies poison. They're pretty common.

And Dagger skills besides apply poison/curse are pretty mediocre at best. And Dagger damage means roughly gently caress all since 90% of the time you use it its an instant-kill and the remaining time its to proc a status on a Captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I'm playing a bit slowly due to limited time, but I've got my own orc story now too.

Last night (still Act 1, second region) I spotted my first Epic orc in the army list. I go after Worms pretty religiously, so I already had intel on everybody in the area that I could.... but upon forgetting that and grabbing just one more, I decided not to waste the intel and instead use it for a Death Threat on the Epic, figuring I'd deal with him later and get some nice loot out of it.

Not two minutes after I send the worm on his way, said Epic captain appears right the gently caress out of nowhere, yelling about how he got my message and decided that instead of waiting around for me to come to him, he'd just find me himself.

What followed was an absolutely insane running battle across the entirety of an orc outpost; I was playing on Nemesis difficulty, haven't unlocked too much yet, and this orc was dramatically higher level than me. I absolutely could not take him on directly, and was constantly darting around climbing towers and jumping down on him from above, setting off explosions to thin out the constant wave of reinforcements (he himself was immune to fire and did not care a bit), and alternating between taking Pinning shots with my arrows and just straight up headshotting him. He turned out to be no slouch at indirect combat either, though, and all throughout our little game of cat and mouse he was throwing grenades and mines at me - and eventually starting sending in his own guys with bombs strapped to them so they'd explode in my face if I tried to melee them ("that cheeky mother-FUCKER!" was I believe my exact quote.)

Finally, finally, FINALLY I manage to corner him and use a Combat Execution to bring him to his knees, and he goes into what I recognize as the defiant death speech cue.... only for him to instead congratulate me on 'surviving his warmup,' as the *CHEATS DEATH* line appears under his name, and he gets right back up again - now Enraged and gunning for me even harder than before, bringing me into Last Chance with a single goddamn hit.

Our running battle continues, me desperately trying to stay one step ahead and using everything from daggers to uncaged carragors and graugs as distractions, a steady stream of small fry constantly distracting me as the fight rages but also giving me a steady supply of Drain targets so that I don't die instantly. I bring his health down to the barest sliver.... but finally slip up one too many times, and go down to a knee before him.

The Captain smirks, raises his blade... and a Gondorian Sergeant comes in RIGHT THE gently caress OUTTA NOWHERE (my first time seeing it - my jaw just about loving dropped), shanks him in the gut, then kicks him off the blade before turning back to Tallion.

"Rise, ranger. Gondor still needs you!"

:eek: ... Holy loving poo poo, I haven't had a boss fight experience that intense in longer than I can remember.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What does 'purified' mean?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

redreader posted:

It just means you killed them with frost/while frozen.

want a mod that changes it to 'iced'

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

redreader posted:

It means you froze them into a statue and then beat so much hell out of them the burst out of the ice.

Cleansing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dongattack posted:

Has anyone found a good & easy way to apply poison on a captain during combat? I've been using the Elven Light (might bar AoE) poison side-grade, but i really wanna switch it out for something more devastating. I could use the poison side-grade to Mighty Shot, but it's so useful to have frost there for difficult 1v1 fights.

My bow applies poison on headshots, which I always forget about until one of the captains I'm fighting abruptly drops dead offscreen.

Zore posted:

And Dagger damage means roughly gently caress all since 90% of the time you use it its an instant-kill and the remaining time its to proc a status on a Captain.

Does doing a ground finisher on a fallen captain count as dagger damage? That's usually not a OHKO.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

Get a dagger that applies poison. They're pretty common.

And Dagger skills besides apply poison/curse are pretty mediocre at best. And Dagger damage means roughly gently caress all since 90% of the time you use it its an instant-kill and the remaining time its to proc a status on a Captain.

Ah yes of course, with quick throw you can apply it at will almost. Excellent point.

Edit: ^^^ As is that.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Backhand posted:

The Captain smirks, raises his blade... and a Gondorian Sergeant comes in RIGHT THE gently caress OUTTA NOWHERE (my first time seeing it - my jaw just about loving dropped), shanks him in the gut, then kicks him off the blade before turning back to Tallion.

I had this happen to me last night for the first time and it was awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like literally every exchange Talion and Celebrimbor have had in act 1 dude has to bring up the palantir

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Backhand posted:

This has happened to me several times, and it's always hilarious that some random no-name soldier is apparently 100x as powerful as an undead ranger possessed by a magic elf king.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zore posted:

It just means you killed them with frost/while frozen.

want a mod that changes it to 'iced'
I want Ed Boon to say "Toasty", when someone gets burned.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So like literally every exchange Talion and Celebrimbor have had in act 1 dude has to bring up the palantir

Basically any quest that doesn't directly advance Celebrimbor's goal of combating Sauron causes him to loudly complain about how much time Talion is wasting.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there mithril gear

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Backhand posted:

:eek: ... Holy loving poo poo, I haven't had a boss fight experience that intense in longer than I can remember.

this owns. I had something not as dramatic but just as funny happen: was losing to a captain when 5 loving soldiers swarmed him and beat the poo poo out of him. They all got wrecked but I was able to land the final blow.

Now I wish this game had the equivalent of Fallout's "Mysterious Stranger" perk where a mythical soldier has a chance to proc in battle and help you out.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

SubNat posted:

Sprint into their group at full speed, palmslam the worm, and keep on running onwards to your next collectible. That's how I do it atleast.

They're usually caught so off-guard that you can insta-drain them with a sneak-drain, too.

This is how I have been doing it.

I have a question though. I recently tried to fight a guy who had a shield ability such that I couldn't attack at all from the front. After about a billion vaults, he "adapted" and I could no longer get behind him. I tried leading him into caragors, fire, etc. (oh he was immune to arrows too). Eventually I screwed up when he was low on health and he killed me and I was sad. Is there any way to melee a guy with this ability? What the heck am I supposed to do if I can't use arrows, or melee?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SettingSun posted:

Basically any quest that doesn't directly advance Celebrimbor's goal of combating Sauron causes him to loudly complain about how much time Talion is wasting.

I mean, he's not wrong.

On the one hand you have Sauron, the Dark Lord, the Great Evil, a literal apocalyptic force that wants to burn the world down and was only stopped the last time by everyone on the continent getting together and beating him down. This isn't a thing that's likely to happen again any time soon.

On the other hand you have a handful of soldiers who might die doing their jobs. The one chick's kind of cute in a barracks romance kind of way, and I understand Tallion doesn't get much trim surrounded by orcs all day, but still.

Plus Tallion seems way too willing to hang out with loving Shelob of all people and just generally act like he doesn't understand that other people might not have his best interests at heart. The dude seriously acts like a gullible idiot all through Act 1.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

That's not true, he sometimes tells Talion that Shelob's not to be trusted.

Speaking of their exchanges, some of the ones after you find the Gondorian keepsakes are nice light banter. I found a wooden carving manual, Talion commented he always wanted to learn how to work wood, and Celebrimbor told him he'd have liked to see it. Another had Celebrimbor appreciating the make and Talion commenting that it was weird to see him praise stuff not made by elves. It adds a nice personal side to them, which severely lacks from the mainquest scenes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

he1ixx posted:

I have a question though. I recently tried to fight a guy who had a shield ability such that I couldn't attack at all from the front. After about a billion vaults, he "adapted" and I could no longer get behind him. I tried leading him into caragors, fire, etc. (oh he was immune to arrows too). Eventually I screwed up when he was low on health and he killed me and I was sad. Is there any way to melee a guy with this ability? What the heck am I supposed to do if I can't use arrows, or melee?

You might get one of you orc buds and double team him. Orcs have special moves that cant be blocked even by guys who have skills for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

he1ixx posted:

Dodge to the side. Spacebar while slapping whatever your strafe command is. Once you're next to him ghost-fist slam him and then beat the gently caress out of him while he's dazed. Figure out anything he's weak to and lure him into that. Be cheap as gently caress with whatever he IS vunerable to. Can you sneak attack him? Don't be ashamed to hide, jump around a bunch, and then stick a knife in his back a couple dozen times.

Bring your bodyguard to the fight. While the BG is face tanking him you can get some cheap shots into his kidneys from behind. Can you summon caragors yet? Same deal.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dodge to the side. Spacebar while slapping whatever your strafe command is. Once you're next to him ghost-fist slam him and then beat the gently caress out of him while he's dazed. Figure out anything he's weak to and lure him into that. Be cheap as gently caress with whatever he IS vunerable to. Can you sneak attack him? Don't be ashamed to hide, jump around a bunch, and then stick a knife in his back a couple dozen times.

Bring your bodyguard to the fight. While the BG is face tanking him you can get some cheap shots into his kidneys from behind. Can you summon caragors yet? Same deal.

yah that's part of my problem. I'm only level 6 and I don't have body guards or any really fun skills yet. I'll try to get more dastardly (or run away more).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

he1ixx posted:

yah that's part of my problem. I'm only level 6 and I don't have body guards or any really fun skills yet. I'll try to get more dastardly (or run away more).

Oh, just ignore the gently caress out of him for a good while.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do you guys that are playing with a controller also experience lovely auto aim for Drain and Executions?
It really feels like the game is loving me by picking the wrong target way more often in SoW than it did in SoM but I'm wondering maybe it's a KB+M bug.

Dongattack posted:

Just go to the menu and switch between Frost and Poison when needed?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I use a controller and I'm not really having issues with the aim for drain and executions. It really only starts to be a thing if it's an ocean of orcs.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Jack Trades posted:

Do you guys that are playing with a controller also experience lovely auto aim for Drain and Executions?
It really feels like the game is loving me by picking the wrong target way more often in SoW than it did in SoM but I'm wondering maybe it's a KB+M bug.

Just go to the menu and switch between Frost and Poison when needed?

Fuuuuuck no. I cba doing that :P

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, he's not wrong.

On the one hand you have Sauron, the Dark Lord, the Great Evil, a literal apocalyptic force that wants to burn the world down and was only stopped the last time by everyone on the continent getting together and beating him down. This isn't a thing that's likely to happen again any time soon.

On the other hand you have a handful of soldiers who might die doing their jobs. The one chick's kind of cute in a barracks romance kind of way, and I understand Tallion doesn't get much trim surrounded by orcs all day, but still.

Plus Tallion seems way too willing to hang out with loving Shelob of all people and just generally act like he doesn't understand that other people might not have his best interests at heart. The dude seriously acts like a gullible idiot all through Act 1.

He doesn't seem to have stopped in Act 2 either because boy howdy is Talion fascinated by these spooky rear end woods and weird lady calling from within.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Fuuuuuck no. I cba doing that :P

The skill system is honestly pretty bad, give me a radial menu for some of this poo poo or something.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just recruited a legendary orc who summons caragors and a graug, I am looking forward to making this guy my Overlord.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ok, y'all, I'm only in Act 1 but this is a really good time and I've already had a couple of insane nail-biting stories play out procedurally. Love it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Viridiant posted:

I just recruited a legendary orc who summons caragors and a graug, I am looking forward to making this guy my Overlord.
He might make a better bodyguard. He summons monsters and you summon him.

When I get enough Vendetta points for the loot chest, is it based around my level?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Caidin posted:

He doesn't seem to have stopped in Act 2 either because boy howdy is Talion fascinated by these spooky rear end woods and weird lady calling from within.

Talion and Cerebrimbor are perfect partners because the entirety of their relationship is "Dude, I got an idea" followed by a response of "Let's do it"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I just spent like five minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't go to new regions. Then I found I couldn't fast travel anywhere. What the gently caress is with this broken game I'm not in combat I'm at the top of one of my towers. I'll try jumping off, maybe it's just a stuck combat trigger. Nope. Huh, kill these orcs see if it clears. Nope. The gently caress. Fix your game, Jake Monolith.

Suddenly the ground lights up red and fire rains down on me. Turns out a fuckin drake was shadowing me waiting for me to get distracted by orcs. :argh:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scalding Coffee posted:

He might make a better bodyguard. He summons monsters and you summon him.

When I get enough Vendetta points for the loot chest, is it based around my level?

The rest of the chests seem to be, so I assume so.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Have you guys got the

:ghost: : you should have--

:mad: : dont. Just. Dont

after you die?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Have you guys got the

after you die?

Yeah. That was probably my favorite post dearh exchange.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Celebrimbor: plz don't trust the evil person.
Talion: i will
<evertrying goes wrong>

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

Repeat for (assuming) 4 acts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My favorite new orc is one who came back as 'The Nameless one' after he bled out during a seige. He's the incarnation of orc justice come to take vengeance on me for all the orcs I let die and pulls a spartacus trick where if you kill him, he gets a new model and talks about how if he falls someone else picks up the mantle.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

DLC Inc posted:

Now I wish this game had the equivalent of Fallout's "Mysterious Stranger" perk where a mythical soldier has a chance to proc in battle and help you out.

My nigga have you heard of Forthog??

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Have you guys got the

after you die?

I like the one where Talion just rages for a bit

"drat the orcs! drat Sauron! drat Mordor! Etc"

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have one captain in Cirith Ungol who was my warchief once, but betrayed me. I killed him horribly ofc, lopped his head and most other limbs off, but he came back from the dead still. Claims that the "magic" i used to make him my captain prevents him from dying and it seems to be true. No matter how many times i kill him they stitch him up more gruesome than ever and he tracks me down. That's my favorite one so far i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Smashing tribal monuments in Seregost constitently crashes my game. :/

• Locked thread