Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Thunderbolt: December Sky worked super well as a standalone movie, and I showed it to several friends who had never seen gundam before and they liked it

The second season was kinda neat, I guess? It feels more like watching gundam thunderbolt 2: part 1 than a proper full season. It didn't feel as strong or complete thematically/conceptually, and more like I was just watching plot events happen

Yeah between the second season being a step down in terms of animation (and I mean that specifically; the style changed slightly but lots of animation in particular has been 2nd string.) and the less focused, not intimately plotted story, it didn't have nearly the same spark. Watching is just like "and soooo when does daryl and io bump into each other again?"

The complaint is less that that's all I'm interested in, but that whats going on isn't as interesting as that looming "whats gonna happen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
gently caress Relena, Diana from Turn A is the best politician lady in Gundam by a long shot.

In fact, she's pretty much the main character of the show, honestly. Which isn't like a diss towards Loran or anything.

EthanSteele posted:

Its been mentioned in interviews that women would be waiting outside the voice recording studio waiting for them to come out to get autographs and how that blew their minds at the time and any event was 95 women to 10 guys. Boys didn't get interested until gunpla, but women were there from the start. One of the main attractions to Amuro isn't that he's a stud or a pretty boy, though no doubt there are people that consider him one, its that he is a nice boy they want to look after and protect from all the bad poo poo he goes through.

Huh, that's really interesting and kind of surprising. I never heard that mentioned before.

ninjewtsu posted:

Thunderbolt: December Sky worked super well as a standalone movie, and I showed it to several friends who had never seen gundam before and they liked it

The second season was kinda neat, I guess? It feels more like watching gundam thunderbolt 2: part 1 than a proper full season. It didn't feel as strong or complete thematically/conceptually, and more like I was just watching plot events happen

Yeah, I just saw December Sky Recently. I thought it was pretty decent. Really dark, especially with the child soldiers, suicide and drug abuse. Like, goddamn. Also, Io Fleming is one of the most badass Gundam protagonists, although he's also kind of an rear end in a top hat and a bully and I was wondering if the series was trying to make me root for Daryl instead. Well, if they were, then it didn't work because Io is a magnificent bastard and I can't help but love the guy.

As far as side stories go, I'll probably never love Thunderbolt as much as 0080 or the 08th MS Team, but that's probably my nostalgia goggles talking. But, for a show revisiting the One Year War again, it could have easily been a lazy cash-in that's just fanwank and no substance, but thankfully they didn't go that route and made a quality show.

That said, there has been so many side stories set during the OYW that the time period has gotten insanely overcrowded.

Artum posted:

Hey now victory is 2/3s of a great show it just kind of peters out later on.

I got about halfway through it although I mean to finish it someday, because it's the only UC thing I haven't seen all the way through. I honestly didn't find the show to be terrible... it's just really... meh. And kind of boring. Aside from the goofy MS designs and Tomino going super kill 'em all, it just came across as really bog standard Gundam fare. Victory is kind of like 50 more episodes of Zeta Gundam, but not as good or interesting. There's way worse shows out there than Victory Gundam, but your time is probably spent watching better Gundam series first if you haven't seen them already.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love how thunderbolt undercuts the "can't we get along" speech between Cornelius and Carla by having some less charitable GM jockey use the opportunity to vaporize the zeon suicide pact

The jazz that plays right as Carla's pulled out into space was the cherry on top, Thunderbolt's soundtrack is amazing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress Relena, Diana from Turn A is the best politician lady in Gundam by a long shot.

In fact, she's pretty much the main character of the show, honestly. Which isn't like a diss towards Loran or anything.

See, I'm giving Kihel the politician points, considering she's the one in Diana's chair for most of the series.

I'd also say that Kudelia, while not the best, does get some points for being more of a politician than most Gundam politicians. Specific policies, compromises to achieve them, and a willingness to work with pretty much anyone to get things done.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I'm giving Kihel the politician points, considering she's the one in Diana's chair for most of the series.

I'd also say that Kudelia, while not the best, does get some points for being more of a politician than most Gundam politicians. Specific policies, compromises to achieve them, and a willingness to work with pretty much anyone to get things done.

Okay let's be fair, I get the two of them confused. I mean, they do look almost exactly alike and switch places Prince and the Pauper style a lot.

I'm only 10 episodes into IBO but Kudelia is much better than Relena at least

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Relena and Kudelia are my top two Gundam heroines. I'm sure the third is obvious.

It's Katejina. Just when you think there's a pattern forming, huh?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Huh, that's really interesting and kind of surprising. I never heard that mentioned before.

Yeah, I just saw December Sky Recently. I thought it was pretty decent. Really dark, especially with the child soldiers, suicide and drug abuse. Like, goddamn. Also, Io Fleming is one of the most badass Gundam protagonists, although he's also kind of an rear end in a top hat and a bully and I was wondering if the series was trying to make me root for Daryl instead. Well, if they were, then it didn't work because Io is a magnificent bastard and I can't help but love the guy.

"Io is a terrifying murderer and daryl is a fairly good dude fighting for the lovely side" is very much a thing it was going for

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

"Io is a terrifying murderer and daryl is a fairly good dude fighting for the lovely side" is very much a thing it was going for

TBF it was also going for "Daryl is just as bad as Io in some ways but doesn't realize it" too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought that was more about daryl becoming as bad as io, as he gradually lost himself (figuratively and literally) to the war

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, Io Fleming is one of the most badass Gundam protagonists, although he's also kind of an rear end in a top hat and a bully and I was wondering if the series was trying to make me root for Daryl instead.

It is, because Io is like Char and Daryl is like Amuro. it's a fun flip.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Relena isn't a politician, she's stone cold gangsta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the second season/Bandit Flower does show Io becoming significantly more heroic. Like, he's still kind of a dick, but there's some humility and altruism there.

And yeah, Tomino has said repeatedly that it was the ladies who kept early Gundam going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the second season/Bandit Flower does show Io becoming significantly more heroic. Like, he's still kind of a dick, but there's some humility and altruism there.

And yeah, Tomino has said repeatedly that it was the ladies who kept early Gundam going.

iirc, one of the big audience bases for SEED, and I think 00, was Japanese housewives.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheKingofSprings posted:

It means that the original Gundam was fairly dark relative to a lot of it's contemporaries and comparing it only to the work Tomino finished preceding it is a little misleading

70s and 80s super robot anime had a lot of extremely dark poo poo with people dying all over the loving place.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The fact that Io makes fun of Darryl for being a quadruple amputee is both incredibly horrible and kind of unexpected and refreshing to see. He's a mean-spirited bully who is a borderline psychopath that kills people for fun. And yet they actually manage to make him kind of sympathetic because he's not totally evil. Like, he tries to get Claudia out of her drug addiction and he's kind of shocked and horrified that the Feddies are using child soldiers.

Sorry Darryl, maybe I just have trouble sympathizing with the Zeon these days. I used to really like them because they had cooler looking mobile suits and they were the bad guys, and the bad guys are always cooler, right? Well... I just recently watched the Origin so Operation British is fresh in my mind. That and... uh... certain things going on in real life recently and their similarity to certain real life bad guys means that it's kind of hitting closer to home now than it did before. I look at those Zakus on the shelf and feel a little awkward and just a bit dirty. Thank God I always had enough common sense to never buy a Zeon flag, because if you have one, now might be a good time to burn it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That made me wonder if the Republic of Zeon had a flag and they did and it's good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

The fact that Io makes fun of Darryl for being a quadruple amputee is both incredibly horrible and kind of unexpected and refreshing to see. He's a mean-spirited bully who is a borderline psychopath that kills people for fun. And yet they actually manage to make him kind of sympathetic because he's not totally evil. Like, he tries to get Claudia out of her drug addiction and he's kind of shocked and horrified that the Feddies are using child soldiers.

Sorry Darryl, maybe I just have trouble sympathizing with the Zeon these days. I used to really like them because they had cooler looking mobile suits and they were the bad guys, and the bad guys are always cooler, right? Well... I just recently watched the Origin so Operation British is fresh in my mind. That and... uh... certain things going on in real life recently and their similarity to certain real life bad guys means that it's kind of hitting closer to home now than it did before. I look at those Zakus on the shelf and feel a little awkward and just a bit dirty. Thank God I always had enough common sense to never buy a Zeon flag, because if you have one, now might be a good time to burn it.

It helps that the battle of the Thunderbolt Sector manages to do a 'war brutalises both sides' thing without exonerating Zeon, because Zeon is responsible for both sides being as hosed-up as they are. It destroyed Side Four, spurring the Moore Brotherhod's fanaticism, and turned the Living Dead, its mutilated child soldiers, into human guinea pigs with nothing to live for but Gihren Zabi's hollow, crumbling ambition.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

The jazz that plays right as Carla's pulled out into space was the cherry on top, Thunderbolt's soundtrack is amazing

Thunderbolt has some decent jazzy bits but man are the engrishy songs terrible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Eh, they're Darryl's music, and they characterise him nicely as the lovably uncool, soft-hearted goober to Io's cool, edgy jerk.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, they're Darryl's music, and they characterise him nicely as the lovably uncool, soft-hearted goober to Io's cool, edgy jerk.

I know what they're going for, I just think the songs aren't good.

I like a lot of corny j'pop stuff but whatever daryl is listening to is just bad. It takes me out of cool scenes, like when Io is charging at him with the gundam's beam saber.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, one of the big audience bases for SEED, and I think 00, was Japanese housewives.

It was G-Reco.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

00 also had a strong lady audience but it lost some of the SEED audience which is why they ran into weird problems where model kits were selling but character merc wasn't selling as well as they liked which is probably part of what lead to some of the weird rewrites.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

Terrs o'sadness an' der terrs of joy.

I liked Oh God I'm Alone because it hits the blues/doo wop so well even if the language is near incomprehensible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I know what they're going for, I just think the songs aren't good.

I like a lot of corny j'pop stuff but whatever daryl is listening to is just bad. It takes me out of cool scenes, like when Io is charging at him with the gundam's beam saber.

Yeah, but I feel that the songs being less than great kind of works. Dorky romantic kid ain't got taste.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your music is poo poo, peg legs!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I wish you hadn't made me aware it was in engrish. I liked that song (Dreaming Girl) when I was ignoring that it even had semi-comprehensible lyrics.

It's cheesy good, just ogad the lyrics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Daryl and Io are Amuro and Char if they weren't in love

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

00 also had a strong lady audience but it lost some of the SEED audience which is why they ran into weird problems where model kits were selling but character merc wasn't selling as well as they liked which is probably part of what lead to some of the weird rewrites.

The 00 haircut ending is one of the most blatantly out of character thing to try and get that audience back, it's incredible.

Caros
May 14, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

The 00 haircut ending is one of the most blatantly out of character thing to try and get that audience back, it's incredible.

Right up there with 'We killed fan favorite Lockon, but don't worry, here is his identical twin brother who we will also call Lockon and never really mention it past the first few episodes and a nod in the finale'

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

That made me wonder if the Republic of Zeon had a flag and they did and it's good

That's not bad though reusing the Nazi colors is bogus.

EthanSteele posted:

That was amazing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fourth opening was so incredibly out of place in the context of 00

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Caros posted:

Right up there with 'We killed fan favorite Lockon, but don't worry, here is his identical twin brother who we will also call Lockon and never really mention it past the first few episodes and a nod in the finale'

Also his nice girlfriend dies and everyone shits on him constantly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey, Lily is the one who is going to run this country in a skirt :colbert:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
They really should've planned ahead and had the twin brothers fighting for opposite sides

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

I love that ending, especially with setsuna dramatically throwing off the barber's cloth at the end to reveal his bare chest is the greatest.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I guess her eye IS down there for once.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lessail posted:

They really should've planned ahead and had the twin brothers fighting for opposite sides

They really should have had Saji pilot the 00 and left Lockon dead. :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caros posted:

They really should have had Saji pilot the 00 and left Lockon dead. :colbert:

Bringing Saji into Celestial Being was the worst thing they could've done for his character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

saji should have died instead of lockon because he was awful