Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Doing Alexander Raid for the first time. How do the goofy goblins have a better boss theme than most of the enemies in this game? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cKy5Qk0QMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Trainmonk posted:

This is the one game I've ever played where I'm completely satisfied with my created character, a highlady. I'd make an alt character before changing her to another race.

:yossame: my duskie is perfect and cool and good thank you very much.

Also the concept Au Ra were cooler than the ones we got but they're fine like they are too. I just kinda wish the girls were 6 inches taller or so to match midlander women and catgirls.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

gently caress godbert mandeville

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

shas posted:

Hell, This.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
had a heartbreaker of an enrage yesterday when the left wing finished casting with 2% on it. fight's good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

shas posted:

What's wrong with Godbert?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nothing. He's a big beautiful man. Maybe they are trying to spoil the 4.1 part, dunno

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Diabetic posted:

I'd be down for them to add the Bangaa and the Viera. The original makers of FF14 were mostly being lazy in that they copied the same races over to the game just with different name. I'm surprised we even got Miquote males in the first place.

Weren't they a 2.0 addition? Them and female roes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's wrong with Godbert?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hihifellow posted:

Weren't they a 2.0 addition? Them and female roes?

Yeah catboys and femroes came together although the best femroe has been around since 1.0.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They want to make love to him and give Hildy some brothers to discover accidentally during an investigation.

Some people seem to think Godbert went Full Libertarian rear end in a top hat during 4.1 but I don't think that's quite a fair take on what he said.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Size difference aside, I never liked the Au Ra horn-ear thing. That's just really weird looking.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Beautiful

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

They want to make love to him and give Hildy some brothers to discover accidentally during an investigation.

Some people seem to think Godbert went Full Libertarian rear end in a top hat during 4.1 but I don't think that's quite a fair take on what he said.

The idea is pretty clearly Godbert going "Hey, you can give these people money, but until you rebuild their infrustructure and make them self-sufficient they won't actually recover." Which is a direct comparison to things he did in other plotlines and him being one of the people willing to go out of his way to hire and support refugees. The 'they will grow dependent' thing isn't 'they are lazy slackers' but that without a self-sufficient Ala Mhigo they will end up unable to support themselves. Which is the reason the entire plot is "how can Ala Mhigo start recovering for themselves?" It may have been phrased poorly but it is trying to argue in favor of Ala Mhigo independence economically and socially, not 'lol, charity sucks and makes parasites.'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

The "you can't spoil people with handouts" part was a bit much but the "uldans will resent having their taxes spent to help foreigners" part was absolutely grounded

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The idea is pretty clearly Godbert going "Hey, you can give these people money, but until you rebuild their infrustructure and make them self-sufficient they won't actually recover." Which is a direct comparison to things he did in other plotlines and him being one of the people willing to go out of his way to hire and support refugees. The 'they will grow dependent' thing isn't 'they are lazy slackers' but that without a self-sufficient Ala Mhigo they will end up unable to support themselves. Which is the reason the entire plot is "how can Ala Mhigo start recovering for themselves?" It may have been phrased poorly but it is trying to argue in favor of Ala Mhigo independence economically and socially, not 'lol, charity sucks and makes parasites.'

Of course then (4.1) you go work out a contract with lolorito to rebuild iraq ala mhigo.

It’s a good reminder of what Ul’dah was supposed to be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course then you go work out a contract with lolorito to rebuild iraq ala mhigo.

It’s a good reminder of what Ul’dah was supposed to be

Yeah, I don't have much to say about that except that I fully expect it to backfire horribly.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I don't have much to say about that except that I fully expect it to backfire horribly.

Well the last time someone tried to gently caress us over in that situation they ended up cleaved in two, so... really wouldn't mind it happening to Lolorito

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Axle_Stukov posted:

Well the last time someone tried to gently caress us over in that situation they ended up cleaved in two, so... really wouldn't mind it happening to Lolorito

I think Lolorito's savvy enough to realise he's hosed you around enough at this point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I think Lolorito's savvy enough to realise he's hosed you around enough at this point.

and he now has an entire new country to grift now

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Quite possibly, but we've tread that ground already and it seems the point of the subplot is that the characters are gaining some maturity.

In theory, with genuinely benevolent leaders like Nanamo and Lyse overseeing the deal and being aware of where they stand with Lolorito, it should be possible to keep it mutually beneficial rather than lean towards exploitive. It's a fantasy world, after all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It could just be a janky translation because the ultimate scope of Godbert's advice, and what Nanamo ends up doing, is pretty sound.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Also to paraphrase an earlier quote in this thread, making one merchant two half merchants didn't really solve our problems.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's literally Nation Building 101 poo poo people are getting angry about :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bolow posted:

It's literally Nation Building 101 poo poo people are getting angry about :psyduck:

Lolorito is probably going to make Halliburton in Iraq look good

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Lolorito is probably going to make Halliburton in Iraq look good

Well he does have a personal vested interest in the Saltery being well run since he seemed to legitimately miss it when Garlemald was in charge

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

Quite possibly, but we've tread that ground already and it seems the point of the subplot is that the characters are gaining some maturity.

In theory, with genuinely benevolent leaders like Nanamo and Lyse overseeing the deal and being aware of where they stand with Lolorito, it should be possible to keep it mutually beneficial rather than lean towards exploitive. It's a fantasy world, after all.

This. Also, shame on anyone who doesn't talk to the other NPCs before talking to the one with the thing above their head, because Alphinaud expressly suggests that the Ala Mhigans themselves also front a equivalent share from the Mad King's trove in order to limit their liabilities to East Aldenard.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bolow posted:

Well he does have a personal vested interest in the Saltery being well run since he seemed to legitimately miss it when Garlemald was in charge

That's face-talk for 'I remember that and how famous it was' since the saltery has come up several times before.

Thundarr posted:

One in particular. Getting Juliet'd really helps someone gain some perspective :v:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
My understanding of Lolorito is that he's an absolutely ruthless rear end in a top hat of a businessman, but he's not a monster. Pretty much everything he does is done to ensure he's the richest man in the room, no more, no less. As shamelessly underhanded as his actions from 2.5 to 4.0 were, it ends up saving Nanamo's life, and was planned to save the Scions too (except they ran away before he could get them pardoned), and he wasn't wrong in the side stories when he said Nanamo hiding her intent to abolish the Sultanate was a boneheaded move that caused most of that incident. He gains nothing and loses nearly everything from a destabilized Ul'dah, after all. As for Ala Mhigo, to Lolorito it's a long-term investment and he loses nothing in the venture, so he has no reason to say no or alter the deal (at least not yet).

As for the whole Godbert thing, to me it was less of a "mutually beneficial or gently caress off" speech, but more that Nanamo needs to think about the long-term consequences of her actions for both her own nation and the nation she wants to help, not just one or the other. The whole assassination plot in 2.5 was kicked off because she didn't do this, and Godbert is trying to push her in a direction where she can get what she wants without history repeating itself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This. Also, shame on anyone who doesn't talk to the other NPCs before talking to the one with the thing above their head, because Alphinaud expressly suggests that the Ala Mhigans themselves also front a equivalent share from the Mad King's trove in order to limit their liabilities to East Aldenard.

I think you get that as part of the quest dialog, because I remember him saying that and I only click on quest markers.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Then provide the man a set of fishing gear and a boat under promise he'll give you 5% of all fish caught and you have yourselves a mutually beneficial investment.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gruckles posted:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Then provide the man a set of fishing gear and a boat under promise he'll give you 5% of all fish caught and you have yourselves a mutually beneficial investment.

I've only been getting paid in experience..,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

More like the intern of light.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

All that money is totally going to end up in lolorito’s hands because he’s infinitely better at trade deals.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The deal didn't say anything about swimsuits I get from desynthesis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gruckles posted:

Plus expenses that add up to ~90% of earnings

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear what Godbert is trying to say.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you get that as part of the quest dialog, because I remember him saying that and I only click on quest markers.

Hm, could be, I won't argue strongly that it wasn't.

But shame on you anyways! =P

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the real issue is that all of those conversations ignore the reality of people's current suffering. no successful plan for economic revival ignores the immediate need for charity and social programs - people who are sick, malnourished, demoralized, and lack any purchasing power need immediate, direct aid in addition to larger structural reform. godbert (or anyone else in those chats except the guy who is portrayed as well-meaning but ignorant to the realities economics and politics) never makes any mention of this and instead gives some old adage about teaching thousands and thousands of people to fish. the best thing you could say is that it's a bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
we're being told that ala mhigo somehow went from a syria-level anarchistic free for all to a literal House of Lords/House of Commons overnight, and you guys are getting mired in arguments about the effectiveness of developmental aid?