Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Doing Alexander Raid for the first time. How do the goofy goblins have a better boss theme than most of the enemies in this game? :stare:

aw man Locus is just the start of alex's excellent music. A to the L to the E X ander, gobbies gonna rise up, boom like thunder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Metal and the A8 remix of Metal are the only alexander songs I really like

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Countblanc posted:

the real issue is that all of those conversations ignore the reality of people's current suffering. no successful plan for economic revival ignores the immediate need for charity and social programs - people who are sick, malnourished, demoralized, and lack any purchasing power need immediate, direct aid in addition to larger structural reform.

The Ala Mhigan's have been refugee's for 20 years, their need for immediate charity has long since passed (and the lack of 'sufficient aid' has been an ongoing plot point ever since 2.0.)

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

It's almost like there are lots of problems in Ala Mhigo and all of them need to be addressed before the country can stand on its own.

Crazy poo poo right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Ala Mhigan's have been refugee's for 20 years, their need for immediate charity has long since passed (and the lack of 'sufficient aid' has been an ongoing plot point ever since 2.0.)
uh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

World War Mammories posted:

aw man Locus is just the start of alex's excellent music. A to the L to the E X ander, gobbies gonna rise up, boom like thunder...

Rise is a loving amazing song. Metal, Metal (Brute Justice), Locus, and Rise are all awesome.

Nothing has come close to answers at level 50, though, as far as epic music goes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

no text.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Answers is definitely the most mood-appropriate but I like how experimental a lot of the fight music is in FFIXV, and Alexander is a good example. Same with stuff like Ramuh's theme, where you wouldn't have thought of it as like a big boss showdown song but they went there anyway and it works.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Titan theme is hilariously inappropriate during the quest when the kobold kid accidentally summons him after finding his parents dead

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

EponymousMrYar posted:

gently caress off, you Receipt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 16, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think part of why I have such a hard on for answers is because I was tanking and the second (I think) ahk morn is right after gigaflare and I would provoke and holmgang through it while the music was in full crescendo. It was really sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UvomZ9-E44&t=608s

It still gives me chills. I know that's stupid to say about a video game, but it was really loving cool.

Note - this is not my video just a random war perspective video. Same feel.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ironically, Lolorito has done more to prove he can be trusted than he has to prove that he can't. We know his motivation (profit) and we also know that he won't pull the rug out from under everybody in the idiot pursuit of short-term profit, because he had the chance to try for all the marbles and didn't take it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Metal Brute Justice has some lines from Exponential Entropy in it, making it about 20% Exponential Entropy which is better than most songs which are 0%.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Ironically, Lolorito has done more to prove he can be trusted than he has to prove that he can't. We know his motivation (profit) and we also know that he won't pull the rug out from under everybody in the idiot pursuit of short-term profit, because he had the chance to try for all the marbles and didn't take it.

If i'm being completely honest, I kind of forgot which one lolorito was and got him confused with the lala who tried to kill the sultana (do I need to use spoiler tags for something that happened in 2.5?). What was lolorito's deal again?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If i'm being completely honest, I kind of forgot which one lolorito was and got him confused with the lala who tried to kill the sultana (do I need to use spoiler tags for something that happened in 2.5?). What was lolorito's deal again?

Teledji is the one that tried to do that. Lolorito owns the East Aldenard Trading company, is filthy rich, and actually smart about doing his thing. He had the poison to be used in the assassination switched with a sleeping draught and had agents in place so he could sweep up Teledji's fortune while minimizing the chaos caused by the whole deal.

Or in other words, Lolorito is probably the most dangerous person in Ul'dah because he has resources and knows how to use them properly without tipping his hand unknowingly.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 14, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did you know the second Ivalice boss is not the time to not know where your limit break is as healer and then you open up the actions and traits window only to find that's all moved around?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Saint Freak posted:

Did you know the second Ivalice boss is not the time to not know where your limit break is as healer and then you open up the actions and traits window only to find that's all moved around?

Indeed, the best time for that is when you're an SCH in WoD and 80% of the raid (and all of the other healers) are dead because someone dragged a Particle Beam through the crowd.

Bonus points if you finally find the button for it, but forget that healer LB3s have a limited radius and so you wind up reviving nothing but a couple of BRDs. :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Metal and the A8 remix of Metal are the only alexander songs I really like

Same, but that's really high praise coming from me.

And Locus isn't bad either because of the lyrics signaling what is going on, but you can't really figure everything out until after you clear A8, it's great. Compared to that, omega is just a big bowl of meh :sigh:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The high ticket items I got from doing the Canals finally sold, and what do I do with this sudden newfound wealth.

I spend like 200k of it to dye my chocobo :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

the real issue is that all of those conversations ignore the reality of people's current suffering. no successful plan for economic revival ignores the immediate need for charity and social programs - people who are sick, malnourished, demoralized, and lack any purchasing power need immediate, direct aid in addition to larger structural reform. godbert (or anyone else in those chats except the guy who is portrayed as well-meaning but ignorant to the realities economics and politics) never makes any mention of this and instead gives some old adage about teaching thousands and thousands of people to fish. the best thing you could say is that it's a bad translation.

Well it's not like he said DON'T give aid to the sick, the hungry, the suffering. He was just giving on advice on what he thinks would be the best way to help Ala Mhigo as a whole, on the long term.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I feel like the fact that Ala Mhigo has a giant horde of treasure at their disposal should've come up more in the discussions of needed aid that happened between "we need a plan on how to use it other than giving out bags of gold bars to people" and "we should use some of it so Ul'dah doesn't pay as much"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's loving fascinating how WRONG people do map groups on other servers.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It's loving fascinating how WRONG people do map groups on other servers.

The 2 variants I've seen is everyone needs on the canals loot, and only the map owner needs. The latter of which is loving stupid and terrible imho

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
i hate map owner only needs groups.

if you are participating in dps, and contributing maps for the group, you fuckin need on everything. just cause one dude got the one map where good drops appear that night doesn't mean he gets all the drops when he wouldn't be there without the group.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolow posted:

The high ticket items I got from doing the Canals finally sold, and what do I do with this sudden newfound wealth.

I spend like 200k of it to dye my chocobo :negative:

Welcome to the endgame

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bolow posted:

The 2 variants I've seen is everyone needs on the canals loot, and only the map owner needs. The latter of which is loving stupid and terrible imho

Yeah, I'm speaking of the latter one, which is apparently the "standard" on other servers. The map owner is the only one who can need on items in Lost/Hidden canals. Everyone else has to greed. Which is hosed since no one has control over which maps spawn the portals. I've run groups where people show up and bring maps for a week and don't get a single portal spawn. Plus, it's going to make things less friendly. Because if you're in someone else's portal, you'll be hoping they fail so you can get out and get your own portal

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its okay as long as long as everyone gets a chance to do a map, and means everyone will get at least something. some of the hosed up PF map groups are like lootmaster pony farming groups though, big scam

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'm speaking of the latter one, which is apparently the "standard" on other servers. The map owner is the only one who can need on items in Lost/Hidden canals. Everyone else has to greed. Which is hosed since no one has control over which maps spawn the portals. I've run groups where people show up and bring maps for a week and don't get a single portal spawn. Plus, it's going to make things less friendly. Because if you're in someone else's portal, you'll be hoping they fail so you can get out and get your own portal

The big thing I've noticed with those kind of groups is that people will get their 2 maps done and then something will miraculously come up and they'll have to leave.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have literally never seen a map group that isn't owner need outside, FFA inside. I'm not sure why anyone would bother with anything else

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

More newbie questions. What stats should I be looking for on gear as a Dragoon? I just finished the level 45 quest which gave me most of the level 45 Drachen set. It has less Defensive stats than the nice HQ level 46/47 set I crafted for myself while leveling armorer and leatherworker, but more of the offensive ones.

To be specific, the five Drachen pieces (including the level 50 chestpiece I'll get eventually) have 145 less Defense, 268 less Magic Defense, 6 more Strength, Vitality, and Direct Hit Rate, 24 more Determination, 20 more Crit, and 35 more Skill Speed. It also lacks the 11 Materia slots the L46/47 set has.

Based on that I'd go with the L46/47 set and maybe slot it with some cheap materia, because that sounds like a lot of defense to me, but it occurs to me that I actually have no idea how effective/useful the Defense stat is, or whether or not I should be trying to get it high.

Bonus glamour question: the wiki tells me that if I take the appearance of one item and put it on another item, I don't lose the item that had it's appearance copied, unlike every other MMO I've ever played that had this sort of dress-up system. That's pretty great. It also means I can repeatedly copy one item's appearance onto other gear, yes?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Automated Posting posted:

More newbie questions. What stats should I be looking for on gear as a Dragoon? I just finished the level 45 quest

Whatever is highest ilevel. Don't worry about that poo poo until you get to 70.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

More newbie questions. What stats should I be looking for on gear as a Dragoon? I just finished the level 45 quest which gave me most of the level 45 Drachen set. It has less Defensive stats than the nice HQ level 46/47 set I crafted for myself while leveling armorer and leatherworker, but more of the offensive ones.

To be specific, the five Drachen pieces (including the level 50 chestpiece I'll get eventually) have 145 less Defense, 268 less Magic Defense, 6 more Strength, Vitality, and Direct Hit Rate, 24 more Determination, 20 more Crit, and 35 more Skill Speed. It also lacks the 11 Materia slots the L46/47 set has.

Based on that I'd go with the L46/47 set and maybe slot it with some cheap materia, because that sounds like a lot of defense to me, but it occurs to me that I actually have no idea how effective/useful the Defense stat is, or whether or not I should be trying to get it high.

Bonus glamour question: the wiki tells me that if I take the appearance of one item and put it on another item, I don't lose the item that had it's appearance copied, unlike every other MMO I've ever played that had this sort of dress-up system. That's pretty great. It also means I can repeatedly copy one item's appearance onto other gear, yes?

Yes, also dyeable items that are used as a glamour can still be dyed after the fact.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Teledji is the one that tried to do that. Lolorito owns the East Aldenard Trading company, is filthy rich, and actually smart about doing his thing. He had the poison to be used in the assassination switched with a sleeping draught and had agents in place so he could sweep up Teledji's fortune while minimizing the chaos caused by the whole deal.

Or in other words, Lolorito is probably the most dangerous person in Ul'dah because he has resources and knows how to use them properly without tipping his hand unknowingly.

Wasn't Lolorito also tied to those corrupt members of the Brass Blades? I feel like I remember that coming up early in the Ul'dah storyline.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I wish I could turn these Verity tomestones into Poetics so I can keep progressing through this Anima quest :shepicide:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't Lolorito also tied to those corrupt members of the Brass Blades? I feel like I remember that coming up early in the Ul'dah storyline.

Yes but the reality is that money is money. Lolorito might be the most infamous in terms of being shady but that doesn't mean nobody else is a shady rich rear end in a top hat.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Below level 50, there's some (tank + DRG) gear that's got tank-level defense stats in some cases and DRG-level defense stats in other cases. Ultimately as a DRG you're going to end up with DRG-level defenses from level 50+, so while there may be a few times you have tank-level defenses pre-50, don't get terribly used to it. Just go with whatever's higher ilvl and/or higher strength.

The more important thing is the flip side - if you're playing a tank and considering some of those tank + DRG gear sets, make sure they've actually got tank-level defense stats on them. Defense stats aren't really make-or-break for a DRG (or anyone else), but they have a very noticeable impact on incoming damage as a tank.

Related: tanks should upgrade left-side armor more frequently than other jobs, and getting that left-side armor to be HQ - or a dungeon drop - matters more for them as well. Out of date armor, non-HQ crafted armor (aka vendor whites), and armor that isn't even intended for tanks, each comes with a consequence of shittier defense. Even one of those things is noticeable; doing multiple will make your healers (rightly) start commenting about having to carry you.

Everyone else really only needs to care about frequent upgrades and HQ for their weapon (tanks care about weapons too, mind you, because damage and threat), and non-tanks' armor can safely slide to a fair extent. Most everyone can let their accessories slide for long stretches.

Vil fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 14, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what does the blm 60 rotation look like? right now i'm just b3-eno-t3-b4-f3-ley-f4-f4-f4-b3, but i get the impression this is not correct because my mp is pretty much always full.

edit ignore this i'm dumb. i forgot fire 1 refreshes af.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

I wish I could turn these Verity tomestones into Poetics so I can keep progressing through this Anima quest :shepicide:

I've wanted this for a long time, even if it was at a really bad rate like 10:1.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I've wanted this for a long time, even if it was at a really bad rate like 10:1.

i think i've been capped for like, two and a half months now. i barely spent verity when they were current. i just wish i could do something with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can buy crafting materials that are practically worthless because literally everyone else is buying them too!!