Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Platystemon posted:

That’s not how written Chinese works.

Well you might know that, but the Louvre doesn't. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If American tourists are loud and aggressive what does that make Australians?

My wife and I stayed at an all inclusive resort that had booze dispensers in the rooms. I've seen them before and honestly it's more fun to get drunk at the pool bar and socialize than make my own syrupy well drink in my room.

But for the Aussies there you'd think they discovered the goddamn El Dorado of free booze that day. They were talking to us excitedly about it one day and apparently the next day one of their friends had drunk themselves into a stupor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Platystemon posted:

That’s not how written Chinese works.

It was written in mandarin, not Chinese

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Parasol Prophet posted:

They can, as long as the black actress never appears first.

Non-lovely joke answer: I cannot tell people what to not be offended by (no one can, really). I don't think the ad had that intention, but I also haven't been bombarded by similar ads for most of my life so my thoughts don't matter much.

Also it's been really interesting reading about the 5-second skip changing the way ads work and things like that-- I'd never considered it as a factor before.

I'm not sure sending the black actors to the back of the bus is going to go over any better.

Why are there no black actors in this commercial? Black erasure!

Why are there only black actors in this commercial? Separate but equal much?!

There's basically no way to win with people who are determined to be offended.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not sure sending the black actors to the back of the bus is going to go over any better.

it looks like you're the one looking to be offended here

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

My main observation about American tourists (barring the ones that grabbed my wife and I to examine our tattoos and then gleefully tell us about how great Trump is, who I firmly hope drowned in the pool) is that they're way friendlier than British ones. Within ten minutes of meeting, Americans are already swapping home phone numbers and planning when they'll next hang out. They tend to be loud and ignorant and kind of condescending, but they don't mean to be nd often it's noticeable precisely because they're also curious and interested in what they're looking at and confident enough to ask about it in front of a group. British people will spend a whole week on a tour together and not even learn each other's names, and get to the end and complain how the guide didn't tell them about x or y but god forbid we ask about it.

Yeah the primary complaint I've heard about Americans abroad (tourists and expats) is that they're way too enthusiastic and friendly about everything, apparently to a level that's loving annoying to your average person. The tourists I've heard the most actual complaints about are definitely the Chinese, followed by Brazilians. And for the Brazilians it's largely because everyone sees a group of Brazilians and immediately goes "oh gently caress, they're going to be up drinking and playing loud music until 9 AM", and in my experience that stereotype has been 100% accurate. Brazilians are awesome in every way unless you're trying to get a good night's sleep.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Corrode posted:

British tourists in Europe are famously a nightmare because our absolute worst people love to go to somewhere cheap and sunny and act like complete savages "because we're on holiday." ... but are much more likely to be vicious and racist about e.g. mediocre table service because "what can you expect in a place like this?"

That's literally every white tourist I've seen. It doesn't really matter where they're from, they all kind of blend together and might as well be the same family again and again and again after a while.

The absolute worst are the soon-to-be-married couples. They always start off so polite and happy but turn into complete lunatics at the drop of a hat.

Corrode posted:

The Japanese have the best reputation I think.

The Japanese tourists I've met and seen tend to be mostly quiet and polite and they cross the street quickly. You wouldn't think that would be a thing to care about, but I've never seen them stop dead in the middle of the crosswalk for a loving selfie with a hawaiian walmart in the background while traffic tries to go on around them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alaois posted:

it looks like you're the one looking to be offended here

Not at all! Sorry if I came across that way.

After any conversation I tend to agonize over how I might have said the wrong thing or whether I could have been misunderstood. Often, my brain reminds me of stupid things I said from as far back as 25 years. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only problem (and it's a relatively minor one) with Japanese tourists is that they tend to travel in giant groups with a guide, so they can end up obstructing traffic a lot more than small groups. I live in Okinawa at the moment, and even for within-country tourism they mostly don't do anything in small groups. It's kind of an interesting cultural thing, because you almost never see Americans here doing touristy stuff in large, organized groups, but you hardly ever see Japanese tourists NOT doing that. Even somewhere that's set up to be a large tourist attraction (e.g., the humongous aquarium), it just seems like it wouldn't even occur to a lot of Japanese people to just drive there and do it on their own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't know how it'd turn out

You knew

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Corrode posted:

Americans on tour are loud, stupid and overfriendly, simultaneously making them the best and the worst tourists.

Having hung out in many tourist cities, I've noticed that if you are, say, in a train and you notice the stereotypical loudmouth American couple expressing their opinions for all to hear, you will often see another American couple, quietly sitting in the corner, head bowed with embarrassment for their fellow countrymen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
On the topic of tourism and rude behavior of visitors, how true is the sterotype about mainland Chinese people being inconsiderate in buffets? I've seen some youtube videos of mainland Chinese people basically grabbing up all the shrimps/squid/lobster tails, shoving past everyone else, getting 10 of that item, then wasting a ton of it when the can't actually eat it. It is interesting because my wife and I went to our friend's son's 100-day celebration at a seafood buffet place. Friend and her family are from Hong Kong, and they were [loudly] complaining about the other rude people cutting in line, grabbing up all of an item, etc. My wife and I did note that when waiting in line to get a bowl of noodles/dumplings there were often some 120 year old asian person shove in front of us to grab something, but we just let it pass because we didn't want to make a scene. But I've heard there's a cultural issue with some groups not waiting in line or understanding that just because you are at a buffet it entitles you to eighteen lobster tails that you can't possibly finish.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The way it was explained to me was it probably wasn't that long ago that some areas of China were mid famine situation.

I have no idea how true that is though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Josef bugman posted:

The way it was explained to me was it probably wasn't that long ago that some areas of China were mid famine situation.

I have no idea how true that is though.

I mean I could understand if you come from a dog-eat-dog culture where anybody that hesitates literally starves to death, but at some point you'd think people would understand "We're at a goddamn buffet, at the very worst just make a big scene about them bringing in another tray of [item] like loudmouthed white trash Americans do at Golden Corral).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Shut your loving face. I worked through the very first one, and the second rush of those goddamn loving things.

My hell will forever be trapped at the register while moms scream that I am ruining their lives because all we have in stock is the loving ostrich.

That was the only time I ever loving cried at work, because one, I was 17, two, my parents were getting a divorce and had just told us the night before, and three, I had some soccer mom oval office scream at me for a solid five minutes while the entire full lobby went mostly silent to listen. What I remember most was how close I was to screaming back at the woman, and my manager yanked me away before I could, and sent me to the break room to calm down. And all those people didn't say a loving word while this woman called me every nasty name in the book because we were, in the last week of beanies, out of the loving husky, cat, and dolphin.

Be quiet and get me my Patti the Platypus! :argh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

The answer is you do it until no one remembers why anyone's making a special effort and then you can stop.

Although I think the worst offenders are Black versions of White commercials. Like they used to have a Doublemint Gum commercial that was a shot for shot duplicate of another commercial, but with Black actors. I haven't seen any of those in awhile, but TV isn't as segregated as it used to be.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Panfilo posted:

On the topic of tourism and rude behavior of visitors, how true is the sterotype about mainland Chinese people being inconsiderate in buffets? I've seen some youtube videos of mainland Chinese people basically grabbing up all the shrimps/squid/lobster tails, shoving past everyone else, getting 10 of that item, then wasting a ton of it when the can't actually eat it. It is interesting because my wife and I went to our friend's son's 100-day celebration at a seafood buffet place. Friend and her family are from Hong Kong, and they were [loudly] complaining about the other rude people cutting in line, grabbing up all of an item, etc. My wife and I did note that when waiting in line to get a bowl of noodles/dumplings there were often some 120 year old asian person shove in front of us to grab something, but we just let it pass because we didn't want to make a scene. But I've heard there's a cultural issue with some groups not waiting in line or understanding that just because you are at a buffet it entitles you to eighteen lobster tails that you can't possibly finish.

China is pretty much " gently caress you got mine": The Country

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen a few Chinese exchange students and they are mindbogglingly dumb when it comes to writing essays. They are absolutely flummoxed with the idea of gathering research and making your own argument and putting it in a 12-15 page paper. I don't know what they did in China but they must have just regurgitated everything they read.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My Chinese friend took like 50 blue crabs at a buffet over like 5 or 6 trips but he ate them all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was awesome to watch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The answer is you do it until no one remembers why anyone's making a special effort and then you can stop.

Although I think the worst offenders are Black versions of White commercials. Like they used to have a Doublemint Gum commercial that was a shot for shot duplicate of another commercial, but with Black actors. I haven't seen any of those in awhile, but TV isn't as segregated as it used to be.

Theyre more subtle now in so far as each ethnic ad has touches/storyline variations for that intended audience or is nearly wholly different. Shot for shot remakes still exist, its just less common.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've seen a few Chinese exchange students and they are mindbogglingly dumb when it comes to writing essays. They are absolutely flummoxed with the idea of gathering research and making your own argument and putting it in a 12-15 page paper. I don't know what they did in China but they must have just regurgitated everything they read.

Yes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

A teacher at an international school asked her students to give their opinion on food scarcity in other countries.

The Sudanese student said, "What's food?"
The French student said, "What's scarcity?"
The American student said, "What are other countries?"
The Chinese student said, "What's my own opinion?"

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mu Zeta posted:

Here are a couple of essay prompts from the Chinese gaokao

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/19325/30-absolutely-insane-questions-from-china-s-gaokao-exam

quote:

Material composition. The conversation between two scientists. How would Thomas Alva Edison react to the mobile phone if he came to the 21st century? No less than 800 words, choose your own title.

quote:

Write a composition on “donation”.

A person became a billionaire from scratch. He was generous and has devoted himself to charity. He then knew that there were three poor families that lived very hard lives. He felt sympathy for the families and decided to donate for them. One family was very grateful and accepted his donation. Another family hesitated but accepted at last and declared that they would pay him back. The last family thanked him for his generosity but declined it as they thought it was an alm.

quote:

Write an essay on either of the topics in no fewer than 700 words:

a) There are numerous heroes in Chinese history who set examples. Please write an essay with the title "If I were given a chance to spend a day with my hero." Select a hero and imagine spending a day with him/her.

b) For what object you have a "passion deep in the soul?" You can choose a plant, an animal or a utensil to write about.

Their writing style is 100% padding and regurgitation

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't that an issue with the quality of Chinese schools? I remember reading that a huge bulk of secondary education and college in China is next to worthless. Like one big diploma mill without any standards or real accreditation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's the "formulate your own argument" part they have trouble with. They do a good job at tackling fairly difficult readings (Derrida, Heidegger, etc) but it's the part where they have to actually write something down or present the readings they have trouble with. It's pretty impressive when you consider English is their second language at the end of the day.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Well they're punished for any answer that isn't exactly what it says in whatever material they're presented so yeah they're trained their whole lives for that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall a TV show or something about Australian tourists named and summed up as 'Dumb, Drunk and Racist'. Probably accurate and related. But then again, you don't notice the well-behaved ones.

We actually get a lot of tourists ourselves and don't seem to notice them, probably because they have a hard time being more obnoxious than the locals.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Speaking of racism you guys are super racist against the Chinese.

I've eaten at buffets with mostly Chinese people more times than I can count, and I've never noticed any egregious behaviour. Sure, more people butt in line than when it's just whities, but there still seems to be some logic to it and when you go with the flow there aren't generally any problems.

In my personal experience there have been instances of people grabbing a lot of the "good" food and bringing it to their table, but it's not because they're greedy, it's to share with the family. Like, they'll send one person to get the lamb and one to get the shrimps, and both end up bringing more than they expect to be eaten because it would be embarrassing to not bring enough.

I get that Chinese manners can be shocking to people who don't know what's up, but in the realm of eating food specifically, it all makes a lot of sense and is quite endearing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

pidan posted:

I've eaten at buffets with mostly Chinese people more times than I can count, and I've never noticed any egregious behaviour. Sure, more people butt in line than when it's just whities, but there still seems to be some logic to it and when you go with the flow there aren't generally any problems.

In my personal experience there have been instances of people grabbing a lot of the "good" food and bringing it to their table, but it's not because they're greedy, it's to share with the family. Like, they'll send one person to get the lamb and one to get the shrimps, and both end up bringing more than they expect to be eaten because it would be embarrassing to not bring enough.

I get that Chinese manners can be shocking to people who don't know what's up, but in the realm of eating food specifically, it all makes a lot of sense and is quite endearing.

Come to the China thread in gbs :)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

Come to the China thread in gbs :)

I've looked at that thread and let's just say it's a cesspool of racism that makes me grieve for humanity.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Remember though, that there's not just one China. The bad stuff you hear is mainly about Han mainlanders, from the PRC. Hong Kong/Macau, Taiwan, and various smaller ethnicities and subcultures are very different and don't share the huge cultural issues of Mainland China which was basically designed to be poo poo by the PRC.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

pidan posted:

What's endearing about letting kids crap where they want? Am I missing something?

Also what ^^^ said.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

pidan posted:

I think your own experience has blinded you to any of their faults, my friend.

I say this as a person who is 1/32 Chinese.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tarantula posted:

What's endearing about letting kids crap where they want? Am I missing something?

Also what ^^^ said.

Learn to read, I was talking about customs related to eating.

If the thought of a baby making GBS threads on public greenery offends you so much don't go to China I guess, but if any discussion of Chinese habits make you go "but they poo poo!!!" that's bordering on pathological.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wapole Languray posted:

Remember though, that there's not just one China. The bad stuff you hear is mainly about Han mainlanders, from the PRC. Hong Kong/Macau, Taiwan, and various smaller ethnicities and subcultures are very different and don't share the huge cultural issues of Mainland China which was basically designed to be poo poo by the PRC.

These kind of "Chinese" are uncivilized savages but those are the good ones I guess :rolleye:

Xun has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Corrode posted:

Everyone hates Russians though and the Chinese aren't exactly endearing themselves. The Japanese have the best reputation I think.

I work in a kindergarten and it's really annoying how japanese tourists treats groups of kids as tourist attractions it's okay to take pictures of.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pidan posted:

Now now, I'm pretty sure we're being more xenophobic than racist.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I work in a kindergarten and it's really annoying how japanese tourists treats groups of kids as tourist attractions it's okay to take pictures of.

Where are you that this would even be a thing

I will say that one of the funniest things I've seen is Japanese tourists getting off two tour buses at a Wegmans in State College PA and walking through and taking pictures of everything like it was a goddamn amusement park. Do supermarkets with food courts not exist in Japan or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Where are you that this would even be a thing

I will say that one of the funniest things I've seen is Japanese tourists getting off two tour buses at a Wegmans in State College PA and walking through and taking pictures of everything like it was a goddamn amusement park. Do supermarkets with food courts not exist in Japan or something?

They do, but what you find in them is very different. To be fair, I have taken a whole bunch of pictures of the crazy stuff I find in Japanese supermarkets. When a culture is sufficiently different from your own, that trivial poo poo becomes some of the most interesting stuff.