Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Haha, that's cool as gently caress. Never seen that kind of setup before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimbo305 posted:

What if they want it to stay out of the shop?

This isn't Automotive Sanity, so I don't know what you're talking about.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That, is loving awesome.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, that's cool as gently caress. Never seen that kind of setup before.

I don't think I could learn to drive that competently in less than a year.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

`Nemesis posted:

Driving what you want With Disabilities

I really like his solution for signaling.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Dannywilson posted:

It means he probably actually uses his turn signals, which means he's a better driver than 90% of the other people on the road.

I have to wonder how he turns the key or opens/shuts the door though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's got a droptop for a reason. And they key has to be replaced with some kind of NFC starter setup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want to see the build of that, because it has to be awesome

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Binky just keeps getting more amazing and it should be up on youtube around 3PM EST today (I think).

Personally, I think the thing that they spent a massive amount of time re-doing is ok, but I would have rather have been 10% closer to a finished car if I were them. The new solution looks amazingly trick, though. Jesus.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Dannywilson posted:

Be a real son-of-a-bitch if the power steering went out.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

how does he change the station

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

sandoz posted:

how does he change the station
I assume he just drives until that particular frequency is owned by a different station

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dreesemonkey posted:

Binky just keeps getting more amazing and it should be up on youtube around 3PM EST today (I think).

Binky? The clown?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

wesleywillis posted:

Binky? The clown?

Educate yourself fool
https://youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, named after death's horse, not a cartoon clown.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm not sure I've ever hammered the Subscribe button with as much confidence.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

They're truly one of a kind in the wilderness of Youtubers, oh to see it with fresh eyes again

Once you finish marathoning it, may I suggest purchasing the mug; it is my office mug and I use it to proselytize the cause

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:siren: NEW PROJECT BINKY NOW AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION. :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Project Binky really is amazing. Shame it'll be 5000 months until the next episode.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

InitialDave posted:

:siren: NEW PROJECT BINKY NOW AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION. :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM

Heh, I pledged about 10 mins before it went public, loving worth though, that was excellent.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I want to support those guys but £20 for a mug shipped to the US...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Pretty much what Patreon is for, because I agree - love the merch but it is steep getting it across the pond.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I inquired about one as soon as they went on sale (seeing if they shipped to the US) and Richard conned me into buying two since this shipping wouldn't really be any more. One for home, one for work.

Patreon is great. I really enjoy being able to support people that make content that I really like and look forward to, it really seems like it should be "the future". Find your niche and don't be afraid to support the people making the content that you enjoy. The binky guys are close to $5k/video, which isn't much money considering the time between projects, but that will help with "costs" considerably.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Huh, I just went and checked my receipt for the mug/shirt bundle and it was £10.30, which isn't great but it's half as much...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

Personally, I think the thing that they spent a massive amount of time re-doing is ok, but I would have rather have been 10% closer to a finished car if I were them. The new solution looks amazingly trick, though. Jesus.

Amazingly trick,

but man if it isn't the most baby boomer restomod thing just in concept. Weight and bulk to (jerkily) lift up a fiberglass front clip at a rate so slow you'd get bored halfway through it. That and the whole modern seats and modern power window/power lock door unit combo thing are probably the biggest bummers about Project Binky.

Still, neat as hell seeing how they did it though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MetaJew posted:

That's just the nature of international shipping, I'm afraid. I think Americans are artificially insulated from realising it's pretty normal because of things like the USPS flat-rate boxes and large domestic market.

I'm probably going to get my dad to bring me some Dura Block foam sanding blocks back from the US when my parents are there on holiday, because the cost to have them sent over is £10-£20, plus being inevitably got by customs for duty on the way.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://jalopnik.com/all-the-crazy-engineering-details-that-make-the-2019-po-1819386075

Pretty cool article with some of the fancy tricks the latest Cayenne employs to deal with its huge self. Electric swaybars, electric 4-wheel steering, air suspension, hilarious proprietary brakes, turbos, active aero, etc.

Some neat engineering, but I can't help but think of the :shepspends: when it all breaks.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 14, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I see they are heavily limiting torque there. Gonna be hilarious with a tune. (And probably a shower of transmission pieces)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

First gear, at 5:1, is shorter than last year’s model, which theoretically means better acceleration and off-road crawl-ability.

lafffffffffoooooooooooooo

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

Amazingly trick,

but man if it isn't the most baby boomer restomod thing just in concept. Weight and bulk to (jerkily) lift up a fiberglass front clip at a rate so slow you'd get bored halfway through it. That and the whole modern seats and modern power window/power lock door unit combo thing are probably the biggest bummers about Project Binky.

Still, neat as hell seeing how they did it though.

Pretty sure it's not fiberglass?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I agree, having fun is bad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Modern seats are indeed a major bummer in a car that's being built to be a racing vehicle, I would much rather die horribly in a minor wreck than break canon
Also, that extra quarter ounce of weight from the electric motors powering quality of life upgrades, sad!

<eats another double whopper>

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a lot of research to try and make a boat handle like a sports car.

But I'm sure the engineers loved every loving minute of it. More complex solutions to package into a car? I wonder what the kleenex budget was to deal with all the jizz.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

That's a lot of research to try and make a boat handle like a sports car.

But I'm sure the engineers loved every loving minute of it. More complex solutions to package into a car? I wonder what the kleenex budget was to deal with all the jizz.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't actually care that much how it handles in the end. The whole project is just showing off their fab fab skills.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

boxen posted:

Pretty sure it's not fiberglass?

It’s not, that’s all Mini sheet metal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't actually care that much how it handles in the end. The whole project is just showing off their fab fab skills.

he's talking about the 2019 cayenne in the article above

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yyyyyyyyup

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Now we're talking.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powershift posted:

yyyyyyyyup