Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shinji117 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty easy for us with the internet and all, but for a small child operating from mostly their own knowledge this one is kinda tricksy.

I'm humble-proud that this was the only hint I needed.

C. 78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yup, C. 78 it is.

Man, this one would be a lot harder in person without google/a periodic table handy. [End Riddle.]

See, this is how Eva's scene from earlier should have gone.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
C. 78

Man, I think the only reason I recognized the pattern is because I'm so used to those metals other video games... (and I still needed google)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oh, and also:

ProfessorProf posted:

Apparently, Uncle Krauss once had this puzzle shown to him, and he wasn't able to answer it right. He looked a bit downcast to see a kid like me solve it. For some reason, he looked even more mortified to see that Eva had solved it.

:laffo:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
^^ Oh yeah, Krauss is the type who would miss such a detail...I can just about see the really complicated notes he came up with in order to present his answer, too, only to be called an idiot by dad. And have his notes torn up. And probably punched for it. Kinzo, you dick.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Your cross is a heavy one, doubtless. I can feel compassion for you now. I'm serious. After all, Kinzo was the one at fault, right? It's his fault for having an illegitimate child in the first place! And the way he forced that child on you was even worse! He should at least have been able to avoid hurting you by saying 'please take care of this poor child', instead of 'you can't give birth, so adopt this kid'. Men! That Kinzo...!"
"..."
"Then let's do it this way. Hold out your arms."
"H, huh? L, like this...?"

"...U, umm, th, this is a little..."
"I'll never say this again, so let me say it once. After all, I never had a chance to meet my mother."

Aww, that's actually sweet. And rather abrupt, considering things, but this entire scenario, despite being a charming playhouse for Ange, has felt the same for everyone else, and their respective issues. It's meant to be for Ange, I get it, but for everyone else, I can't shake a feeling of Battler just going "And YOU get redemption, and YOU get redemption, and YOU get redemption..." And that's really not how redemption works at all. It can be argued that "redemption" isn't the point here, but if I had known what Ange thought she knew- and that's this entire story- I wonder if I would be able to accept such an answer that seems so... pat.

But I'm not Ange, and she seems to be enjoying herself, so... what do I know? Besides, I like the jagged edge that Beato still has in this interaction- they're obviously not letting Natsuhi off the hook for the guilt she feels (which is completely fair, given the whole "pushing a baby off a cliff" thing, even without the severe scarring and subsequent implied dysphoria), but they recognize her sorrow and accept that Natsuhi has changed and grown as a person- and most importantly, they lay the blame exactly where it should go. (Hint: it's on Kinzo. The man just over yonder. He knows what he's done, even if we're clearly not allowed to talk about it. What an rear end in a top hat :mad: )

But the riddle- yeah, it's C-78. It wasn't silver I recognized, but good old Aurum 79. Cheeky boy, going for elements in a puzzle for a six year old...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 13, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

But I'm not Ange, and she seems to be enjoying herself, so... what do I know?

I think this is still piece-Ange in control right now, who is having a blast, not 1998-Ange. The latter can see all this, but may or may not be paying attention.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

:doh: I'm a chemist, how did I not....

C. 78

I was trying to do poo poo like using prime factorization to extrapolate a pattern from the differences between the prizes, or sum everything and try to see if any of those stood out. Copper, silver, and gold are all prime numbers, even, but none of the choices were (though that would have been a wonderfully misleading choice if he'd included one or two primes larger than 79.)

Ah, well. Good job Kytrarewn!

e: As an aside, Prof, thanks for doing this section this way, it's really fun.

e2: spoiler'd out stuff for the same reason

yeah i also tried a similar method to reach a answer. I originally thought that its more of a see by how much it increased type of problem. the first leap was 16 coins and the second was 32 coins. but the answers didnt match any of the next possibilities.

So C:78 seems correct (though giving that type of question to a 6 year old, really kanon?)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

resurgam40 posted:

^^ Oh yeah, Krauss is the type who would miss such a detail...I can just about see the really complicated notes he came up with in order to present his answer, too, only to be called an idiot by dad. And have his notes torn up. And probably punched for it. Kinzo, you dick.

Aww, that's actually sweet. And rather abrupt, considering things, but this entire scenario, despite being a charming playhouse for Ange, has felt the same for everyone else, and their respective issues. It's meant to be for Ange, I get it, but for everyone else, I can't shake a feeling of Battler just going "And YOU get redemption, and YOU get redemption, and YOU get redemption..." And that's really not how redemption works at all. It can be argued that "redemption" isn't the point here, but if I had known what Ange thought she knew- and that's this entire story- I wonder if I would be able to accept such an answer that seems so... pat.

But I'm not Ange, and she seems to be enjoying herself, so... what do I know? Besides, I like the jagged edge that Beato still has in this interaction- they're obviously not letting Natsuhi off the hook for the guilt she feels (which is completely fair, given the whole "pushing a baby off a cliff" thing, even without the severe scarring and subsequent implied dysphoria), but they recognize her sorrow and accept that Natsuhi has changed and grown as a person- and most importantly, they lay the blame exactly where it should go. (Hint: it's on Kinzo. The man just over yonder. He knows what he's done, even if we're clearly not allowed to talk about it. What an rear end in a top hat :mad: )

But the riddle- yeah, it's C-78. It wasn't silver I recognized, but good old Aurum 79. Cheeky boy, going for elements in a puzzle for a six year old...
Yeah, that's what I like about this! Beatrice forgives Natsuhi... because Natsuhi can't forgive herself. If Natsuhi were able to take what she did lightly, she would truly be worthy of being despised, no argument. But even when Natsuhi represses what she's done, she can't really forget it, and it causes her immense suffering. Her migraines are definitely stress-related, but also related to the incident, right? Because the sound of the ocean is a trigger, and she lives on an island?

And, even though Yasu lived, Natsuhi is absolutely a murderer, because the servant didn't. And it's hardly like Yasu got away unscathed. While there's many different interpretations one could make of Yasu's specific gender identity and gender issues, I think we can all agree that Yasu would have been happier if they hadn't had the induced dysphoria of developing 'wrong' without knowing why.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

Aww, that's actually sweet.

The version in the manga (which uses a game of hide and seek rather than all these puzzles) is even sweeter. It makes it a little more clear that this isn't about forgiveness, but closure ... something that's too often used as a weasel word for revenge, but not in this case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

As someone else mentioned, it wasn't just Yasu pushed off the cliff; a servant was also killed (which is especially bad when you remember most of the servants were teenagers from Fukuin).

Also, it's not just ugly scarring or something; the actual parts were destroyed (thus the "literally can't 'love'" stuff). I only mention this because I feel that the fact it wasn't just a cosmetic thing is very important.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I immediately guessed the pattern :toot: but would have had to look up the actual number for this one.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Ytlaya posted:

As someone else mentioned, it wasn't just Yasu pushed off the cliff; a servant was also killed (which is especially bad when you remember most of the servants were teenagers from Fukuin).

Also, it's not just ugly scarring or something; the actual parts were destroyed (thus the "literally can't 'love'" stuff). I only mention this because I feel that the fact it wasn't just a cosmetic thing is very important.

I'm not sure why you're all hung up about physical damage to the genitals. My interpretation of that line was some manner of brain damage (pituitary gland, lack of FSH/LH) which kept Yasu from developing a sex drive, hence "incapable of love". This would also correspond to "small/looks young for their age", the fact that both Shannon and Kanon are shown with long hair despite the other servants having very "professional" haircuts, etc, if they were attempting to hide scarring at the back of the head.

It's also a lot less icky, for whatever that's worth.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure why you're all hung up about physical damage to the genitals. My interpretation of that line was some manner of brain damage (pituitary gland, lack of FSH/LH) which kept Yasu from developing a sex drive, hence "incapable of love". This would also correspond to "small/looks young for their age", the fact that both Shannon and Kanon are shown with long hair despite the other servants having very "professional" haircuts, etc, if they were attempting to hide scarring at the back of the head.

I still maintain that's not even necessary - it could simply be a perception of Yasu's that it's the case. Regarding yourself as "incapable of love" in no way requires that actually be the case, it simply means that you believe that to be true.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Seeing Krauss bamboozled is perfect. :kimchi:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure why you're all hung up about physical damage to the genitals. My interpretation of that line was some manner of brain damage (pituitary gland, lack of FSH/LH) which kept Yasu from developing a sex drive, hence "incapable of love".

There's a manga page where Yasu is reading an anatomy book, looking very puzzled.

Yasu's sex drive is probably fine. If nothing else the character designs betray a healthy interest in thighs. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

The servant was stated as being old. Not that it makes it better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
all old people are evil sooooo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Manga aside (which as tiistai mentioned makes it all-but-explicit, but I'm assuming we're just using the VN as a source in this thread), the specific nature of the injury is vital to understanding the source of the Yasu's gender dysphoria and utter terror/hopelessness at the idea of consummating her relationship with George (or any other relationship for that matter). If she "merely" had some sort of brain damage resulting in no sex drive, the EP2 scene where Beato rants "I'll turn you into a filthy maggot then we'll see if that glasses guy still loves you" while discussing the general topic of physical intimacy wouldn't make much sense. The superficial reading might be some general commentary about George/men only caring about her appearance or whatever, but this is a scene between two aspects of Yasu's personality and is clearly getting at something more directly and specifically relevant to her. Also, there's a reason why it was specifically mentioned that George and Shannon slept in different rooms during their date at the aquarium; if they hadn't it would have been a Big Deal because he would have discovered the situation with her body.

It also very neatly explains the main motive behind the creation of Kanon. While it's possible to come up with a plausible alternative explanation (that Yasu was just naturally non-binary or something), everything fits together far better and more simply if you just assume that the creation of Kanon, her furniture complex, and her terror/hopelessness about love/relationships are all directly connected to being someone who was DMAB and raised as a girl after Nanjo's surgery on the injury from the fall.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The servant was stated as being old. Not that it makes it better.

Ahhh, I forgot that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 14, 2017

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, we haven't quite gotten the part where it's fair game to talk about the EP8 Manga, but there's a canonical section that was added in under direction of the author solely to answer questions like this, which EP7 left somewhat ambiguous. I hadn't read the manga part until very recently myself and it was very elucidating. So I hope we can have some discussion about that later on in this episode.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Stuffed Toy

"Awesome, Aunt Eva! Why?! Why is it 78 coins?! If platinum is better than gold, then why does gold get more coins?!"
"The number of coins you get is always the same as the atomic number of the prize. Copper is 29, silver is 47, and gold is 79. And, by the way, platinum is 78. So, the platinum prize gets you 78 gold coins."
"E, Aunt Eva, you're incredible!!"

Dad once told me that Aunt Eva was an enthusiastic studier, and really, really smart even back when she was in school. Even George onii-chan, her son, is smart, so Aunt Eva must really be incredible.

"Still, that was a pretty nasty riddle to choose. You should have at least given one that Ange could understand."
"You did give me permission to show her the hardest one I've got."
"...That's right. You said it yourself. That's why we got a puzzle that was too hard for me."
"Nnggggggggggghhhh...!! I, is it my fault? Sorry, Ange-chan... But look, we got a medal, so please forgive me."

We got another medal. Just how many have we gotten so far? But we still have a lot left to get. Next up is Shannon.

BGM: Praise

"...Since you only have to think on Nee-san's level."
"Y, you're making fun of me...! Then do you want to have a go at it too, Kanon-kun?"
"Bring it on."
"It sounds like you'll be able to understand it this time, Ange-chan. I'll stick to giving hints again."
"Okay, I'll do my best. I'll solve it. Another medal for me."
"Let's go then. Listen carefully..."

Eva's Hint

"W"
"A"
"B"
"I"
"O"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 7, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hm. I've got nothing. O - lemonade keeps it from being the first letter. I can't think of anything that WPAO and one of the choices would spell. Maybe lemonade's different because it's a drink while the others are foods? In which case black coffee would be different as well. Or maybe lemonade's different because it's a single word, while the others are two, in which case black coffee would be like the others, so the answer would be c. b, though that doesn't seem like great logic so that's not a vote...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zack Ater posted:

Or maybe lemonade's different because it's a single word, while the others are two, in which case black coffee would be like the others, so the answer would be c. b, though that doesn't seem like great logic so that's not a vote...

This was my thought process too.

Either way, if we assume that the letter has to be in the word, it can't be O or A because those equal lemonade and anchovy pizza, respectively. And since they're putting it in the order they are, that indicates uniqueness on the part of the letter. This locks out W, also.

Can anyone come up with a compelling case for I?

All of the foods include the letter "A" in their English spellings, but I can't find a way to turn that into any of the puzzle answers.

D. I

That's a really good point about the flavors. I think I was thrown off by lemonade (usually sweet) and pepperjack (spicy in the context of cheese, but not really spicy on an absolute scale), but sAlty anchovies and sWeet white chocolate should have been more of a hint for me.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 14, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014
huh am i overthinking it? I should have guessed that this one would be trickier than is immediately apparent.

well lets try reducing the options left.
It can't be A:W, or D:I since, while we aren't sure about the rules for this pattern, all of the letters were contained within the words before. I'm assuming the letter needs to be there.

that leaves B: A, C: B, E: O

is it B for Black coffee? A pattern for the previous ones was the first letter of the Description for the type of that food. now for lemonade that doesn't work since there is no adjective attached to the word.

EDIT:Well if witchcore says so ill go with that reasoning.

Well im going to guess D:I

lookw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 14, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Maybe the 'O' for Lemonade isn't supposed to be a letter, but a zero or null space, as in there is no descriptor word before this one. In which case the answer would be "B"

Or maybe we're just supposed to use process of elimination and assume each letter is unique, so "W", "A", and "O" are out, and the letter must be in the word so "I" is out, leaving only "B"

I'm just gonna leave it here for now and hear some other ideas before I start engaging in numerology.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 14, 2017

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Whoa, this riddle is basically everything I ate yesterday. Creepy.

I don't think the solution is some weird numbers poo poo--it's gotta be wordplay.

Edit: one thing that is interesting is that all of the items are easy examples of strong flavors. Notice that none of them taste similar to the others. Salty, sweet, sour, spicy... and bitter. So I'm gonna go with D. I

Maybe this is why I have indigestion today. Yuck.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 14, 2017

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
I'm just gonna copy witchcore and vote D. I

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I'm leaning towards choice D as well now. You've got sWeet white chocolate, sPicy pepperjack cheese, sAlty anchovy pizza, sOur lemonade and bItter black coffee. The first three foodstuffs starting with the second letter of their taste is there to throw you off when you get to lemonade and sour, as is the first four tastes starting with an S so you sit there wondering how to get a taste for black coffee that also starts with an S.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Yeah, someone I was talking with said second letter of the taste as well. I'll go with D. I as well.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
poo poo, yeah, words aren't just words, they represent actual things. (Hey that's a really good hint Eva could give.) Also explains what the hell D."I" is doing in the options to begin with.

But how was Ange supposed to know what black coffee tastes like?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Interesting that they went for P for spicy instead of M for umami. (Since A for savory would already be taken.)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

idonotlikepeas posted:

Interesting that they went for P for spicy instead of M for umami. (Since A for savory would already be taken.)

Ooh, M - Miso soup would be a good one for that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yep, exactly. Maybe they were worried that would make it harder, though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Odds are the original probably had that.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
D. "I".

Did not occur to me that it was the second letter of the word describing the taste. But that's why I'm not the one who solved the epitaph.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Ytlaya posted:

Also, there's a reason why it was specifically mentioned that George and Shannon slept in different rooms during their date at the aquarium; if they hadn't it would have been a Big Deal because he would have discovered the situation with her body.

EP6 posted:

"That dream future that George-sama has imagined for you two... is something you can never give him."
"W, well..."
"...We aren't humans. We're furniture, inferior to them. George-sama only thinks that you're human."
"...W, well, that is true, but..."
"I'm impressed that you've managed to trick him for this long. Do you really think you can keep tricking him like that forever? Even though you still haven't been able to tell him that you're furniture."

Even without the manga's additions, the idea that Yasu's injury comes down to brain damage or simply her own perception of herself doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. I honestly think it is vital to understanding Yasu and her story to grasp that when she says she has a body "incapable of love", it is deadly serious and she is probably not entirely wrong about the impact it has on her succeeding in any of her relationships. It's not an issue she can just overcome with positive thinking or self-love or anything like that. That makes the exploration of her problems and how she expresses them extremely difficult in many ways, but also extremely important.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Raelle posted:

It's not an issue she can just overcome with positive thinking or self-love or anything like that.

It's an issue that could be overcome with some creative thinking and generous quantities of lube. I mean, it's not a non-factor in a relationship, but we're talking about two potential partners who have demonstrated a willingness to kill their family in order to make this relationship work, after a bit of shock they'd probably work something out. But Yasu never gives either of them the chance, instead assuming the worst and going straight to murder-suicide. Thus the tragedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

It's an issue that could be overcome with some creative thinking and generous quantities of lube. I mean, it's not a non-factor in a relationship, but we're talking about two potential partners who have demonstrated a willingness to kill their family in order to make this relationship work, after a bit of shock they'd probably work something out. But Yasu never gives either of them the chance, instead assuming the worst and going straight to murder-suicide. Thus the tragedy.

Not everyone, or even most people (especially in 1980's Japan), would be willing to stay in a romantic relationship where conventional intercourse wasn't possible. Yasu would be 100% correct in assuming that the odds are strongly against her when it comes to succeeding in any relationship where the person isn't aware of her situation upfront. Also, her situation is probably different than someone who is trans in this regard; there's a good chance she doesn't even have the "materials" necessary for modern conversion surgery (and that's assuming conversion surgery was of similar quality in the 1980's, which I have no idea about). Though even if she were trans she'd be facing an uphill battle given her location/circumstances.

Most importantly, however, there's next to nothing she can do to influence the situation. It's entirely up to her partner whether they're okay with having a relationship under those circumstances, and she doesn't have any control beyond that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Geroge even said he wants kids. So she is likely even more afraid of rejection because of that.

It's kind of awful she decides on death rather then revealing the truth.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 15, 2017

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Don't forget that Sayo was so terrified of finding out the answer that they blew up an island and family/loved ones rather than find out. Yes, in ideal circumstances George wouldn't care and they'd live happily ever after, but Sayo'd been burned waiting on ideal circumstances before :smith:.

E: I had previous posts hidden and just now saw ZD touched on this point too so I guess I'm just restating stuff lol. Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Bumping to the next page.

• Locked thread