Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I saw a lot of people who were auto-backing based solely on Metzner's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Antivehicular posted:

Invisible Sun is at the printer's! I should probably start learning how to write a FATAL & Friends.

why did I kickstart that loving thing
those two hundred dollars could have bought many peanuts

I don't think I ever got a gift card for the contest last year.

I accept this as your penance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loomer posted:

(For bonus irony points, I've done something slightly similar before, where I've had other players I know do 'NPC turns' once before each game session and once after showing broad attitudes and goals, for the active players to interact with. It's an interesting way of avoiding the pitfall of all the NPCs thinking like you, if you have that problem, but there's a lot of book keeping involved.)

Blue-booking is a tried and true RPG technique.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mors Rattus posted:

The Otaku family were there first.

And neither were as bad as using heimin/heinin.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Uh, loving seriously dude?

I suppose I should have expected this out of Goodman.

some FUCKING LIAR fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 14, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That demon thing is Bart Simpson.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

Uh, loving seriously dude?

I suppose I should have expected this out of Goodman.

Am I missing something here? Those look okay to me.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, they both look pretty rad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Diehard Miniatures havee launched their latest Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/diehard-miniatures-undead-rising

I can vouch that they can deliver, since I backed their last Kickstarter and was very pleased with the end results. Not personally super interested in getting Undead myself, but I might take the chance to grab one or two minis from their back catalogue I didn't get last time around.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Is... That a monkey in 'gangsta' clothes? :stare:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

ElegantFugue posted:

Is... That a monkey in 'gangsta' clothes? :stare:

...well, poo poo. Colour me embarrassed, that isn't even subtle.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really hope that it's not intentional

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more "90s radical animal mascot" than "glorifying thug/gangster life".

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LordAba posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more "90s radical animal mascot" than "glorifying thug/gangster life".

You're missing the unfortunate option 3 "black people are monkeys".

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

LordAba posted:

The concern isn't "glorifying gangster life." The concern is comparing black people to monkeys.

It was probably unintentional (at least, I sure hope so).

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
drat, 7th Continent went a little crazy on the optional buys.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think it's supposed to just be a goofy monkey person, MCC has a bit of a Saturday morning edge. At least I hope so.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pandanaut posted:

drat, 7th Continent went a little crazy on the optional buys.

I read an FAQ and I guess all six of the $20 expansions were present in the first Kickstarter too. It's just that the three that they listed as a potential bundle were part of a higher tier, whereas the three they've rolled out one by one were strictly addons. If someone went all in last time this thing wouldn't actually be that expensive to round out this time. As someone who didn't back at all last time, though...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sunset Over Water is in its last 36 hours, and I want the next stretch goal for more landscape cards. It's a lovely little game, and it's even cheap.

https://emails.kickstarter.com/mpss/c/4AA/6TYCAA/t.2bl/mBlK4jKlQmaNgZnDYKTX5g/h2/to7L6kt7auI1KAyWZkfjgYcofwimWbRwxT93XEAO4rk-3D

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Empyrea is turning out to be a gift that just keeps on giving.

Over on Tenkar's Tavern, there's a new post that says basically, "Whoa, if you think a comment is out of line or infringing on your IP, maybe talk to me before making legal threats, okay?"

It seems like this is referring to a now-deleted comment where the backers-only Empyrea update was copied. Which would mean that Frank Mentzer or someone on his team sent a legal nastygram to someone he's otherwise been friendly with.

This is especially weird because up to this point, Tenkar has been downright gentle with Frank. I guess Mentzer's still mid-meltdown, and not at the end of it yet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Empyrea is turning out to be a gift that just keeps on giving.

Over on Tenkar's Tavern, there's a new post that says basically, "Whoa, if you think a comment is out of line or infringing on your IP, maybe talk to me before making legal threats, okay?"

It seems like this is referring to a now-deleted comment where the backers-only Empyrea update was copied. Which would mean that Frank Mentzer or someone on his team sent a legal nastygram to someone he's otherwise been friendly with.

This is especially weird because up to this point, Tenkar has been downright gentle with Frank. I guess Mentzer's still mid-meltdown, and not at the end of it yet.

You know I almost copy pasted the entire update text here. And no one from the project would have thought to check here.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mllaneza posted:

Sunset Over Water is in its last 36 hours, and I want the next stretch goal for more landscape cards. It's a lovely little game, and it's even cheap.

https://emails.kickstarter.com/mpss/c/4AA/6TYCAA/t.2bl/mBlK4jKlQmaNgZnDYKTX5g/h2/to7L6kt7auI1KAyWZkfjgYcofwimWbRwxT93XEAO4rk-3D

I backed this a few days ago. Still haven't been able to get people to play Herbaceous.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

You know I almost copy pasted the entire update text here. And no one from the project would have thought to check here.
It's also a weird kind of copyright to enforce - like, what's sensitive about it? Why keep it secret? Just a bad decision, with no upside, except an old man's need to lash out after an embarrassing kickstarter showing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DalaranJ posted:

It's not too late.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Leonard J. Crabs Rides Again

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
lol someone copy/pasted the entire thing over at The Piazza but apparently Frank doesn't care enough about them to send them legal threats.

quote:

Empyrea Kickstarter rebooting on Monday October 16th
Posted by Mike Myler (Crowdfunding Engineer)
Backer3x For backers only
Greetings all.
We're rebooting the Empyrea Kickstarter.
In my first-ever KS I made several miscalculations, so we're fixing them. The Team have discussed options and we're all set. Here are the highlights:
Realistic (lower) goal, carefully analyzed for maximum quality and cost-efficiency (alernate printing sources, etc.)
Realistic delivery time (next Fall, not Summer)
Expanded Living Campaign online at all levels (not just Nobles)
Expanded PDF benefits and options for all
Sorry about that, but now we know how to do this right. Thanks again for your support.
So here are some details from the Team.
—Frank
=========
Hello everybody! It’s Mike!
In the rush of his lifelong campaign setting being fully realized and shared with the world, Frank’s zeal to make Empyrea have a massive print run with a huge impact got the better of him and bowled me right over. Rightly so—I’ve gotten to sit in on his weekly game, I’ve read the internal documents for it, and it’s a really fantastic place ripe for adventure especially with the huge scope involved. In addition to that a lot of amazing people from the industry came out of the woods to get on board with the project as soon as they got wind of it and did so right up to the night before launch. In the mix of Empyrea being finalized and a widening roster of contributors, the full breadth of Frank’s vision was shadowed by the needs of firming up work agreements and other business concerns.
This last week we’ve worked hard to refine the focus on things and make sure everyone clearly understands the expansive, involved, and frankly ground-breaking gaming phenomenon that Frank has laid out here. It is still a complicated affair—a box set fantasy setting with multiple books and compatibility with 10 RPGs, a medieval campaign world that’s approachable but still filled with fantastic underpinnings he’s spent 40 years refining, all done by an epic team from the industry’s history, an expansive online campaign simultaneously played by citizens and nobles from across the globe—but we’re hoping that it’s clearly presented now and that we can exceed our revised, smaller print run goal to realize Frank’s larger dream.
That dream isn’t happening without you.
Please take a look at the preview page for the Empyrea Kickstarter relaunch and let us know what you think: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ex ... n=63bf5fb9. As Frank notes above we’ve made some fundamental changes but we want your feedback on how else we can make this project a success! We’re extremely grateful for your faith in the Kickstarter thus far and can’t wait to get things started off right to make Empyrea what it should be.
We’re going to implement changes based on what you’ve got to say and relaunch on Monday October 16th at 0:01 EST—we’ll see you there. :)

Multiple books! Compatibility with 10(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) RPGs! A medieval campaign world 40(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) years in the making! Aw yeah, slam that poo poo directly into my veins, that's the stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh also it says that the relaunch was supposed to be up today but it turns out it's actually been postponed until ??????

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The fact that an "industry legend" is trying to release a setting "40 years in the making" whose main selling point seems to be that there's nothing unique about it is just depressing on a lot of levels.

e: I don't mean "industry legend" ironically; I actually started with his version of Red Box Basic. But still, it really does feel like he's ignored the entire rest of the industry since TSR folded.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

lol someone copy/pasted the entire thing over at The Piazza but apparently Frank doesn't care enough about them to send them legal threats.

Multiple books! Compatibility with 10(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) RPGs! A medieval campaign world 40(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) years in the making! Aw yeah, slam that poo poo directly into my veins, that's the stuff.
On a ... note of some kind ... one of the posters over on Tenkar's is sad there's not a system guide planned for MYFAROG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

On a ... note of some kind ... one of the posters over on Tenkar's is sad there's not a system guide planned for MYFAROG.

quote:

The argument that there are too many systems, is an odd one to make as a potential consumer. Especially since there is not much real difference between many of them, to the point it might result in delays.
Hahahaha loving hell.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
It shames me to post something from XKCD, but ....

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel bad for Mike.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure posting that isn't a violation of copyright and is within fair use. Just because it's backer only information doesn't make it protected unless there's an NDA in place.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Xelkelvos posted:

I have some DCC stuff and it's got non-caricatured PoC in it so I'm sure it's just a "90s extreme animal mascot went bad". It's a big iron chain, white tank top, and backwards purple cap - could easily be a rural guy in a junkyard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm pretty sure posting that isn't a violation of copyright and is within fair use. Just because it's backer only information doesn't make it protected unless there's an NDA in place.

It is absolutely not a violation of copyright to post backers-only Kickstarter updates to internet forums and Frank Mentzer is a crazy old man out of touch with the state of the hobby.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

That guy seems to have posted several reviews of MYFAROG supplements on Amazon.com (one of which is the "top critical review" of the product-- only 3/5 stars), along with a bunch of random non-racist (for SF/F) products under his real name. His G+ discloses a high degree of MYFAROG fanboyism, slightly less Conan fandom, and no overt fascist sympathies otherwise.

I seriously wonder if he's a racist doing a semi-lovely job of hiding it, or if, like, he just doesn't realize. Like, could a person read through the Official RPG of Ratfaced Scandinavian Bigots and not notice it's for Nazis?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

some loving LIAR posted:

That guy seems to have posted several reviews of MYFAROG supplements on Amazon.com (one of which is the "top critical review" of the product-- only 3/5 stars), along with a bunch of random non-racist (for SF/F) products under his real name. His G+ discloses a high degree of MYFAROG fanboyism, slightly less Conan fandom, and no overt fascist sympathies otherwise.

I seriously wonder if he's a racist doing a semi-lovely job of hiding it, or if, like, he just doesn't realize. Like, could a person read through the Official RPG of Ratfaced Scandinavian Bigots and not notice it's for Nazis?
Well, I mean "semi-historical, Norse mythical quasi-Europe" is totally my poo poo. So maybe he just doesn't notice?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

I backed this a few days ago. Still haven't been able to get people to play Herbaceous.

They're just shy of the $50k goal !

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

some loving LIAR posted:

Judging by the hardcore Conan love and what I read of the dude's stuff, he's probably just an old-guard grog who really loves blood and thunder low-fantasy adventure and death metal and probably gets very mad at you when you point out the cultural elements of pulp that hasn't aged well. Like he has a thing about making the game classless but each race and ethnicity has access to certain classes. He loves these things uncritically and ignores anyone who tries to tell him otherwise and is misguidedly focused on streamlining the mechanics over reading the text because he's a grog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Mastermind posted:

The fact that an "industry legend" is trying to release a setting "40 years in the making" whose main selling point seems to be that there's nothing unique about it is just depressing on a lot of levels.

e: I don't mean "industry legend" ironically; I actually started with his version of Red Box Basic. But still, it really does feel like he's ignored the entire rest of the industry since TSR folded.

Yea I love the guy but he's apparently been in cryosleep since the TSR days and doesn't know he's basically trying to sell "What if D&D...but MORE generic and easily available in other sources???" It bums me out to see him having a rough go but I can't say it's not expected when he's trying to push 'we're not unique or special at all' and name recognition that's kinda a decade too late at best?