Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

i didnt mention the case because i wanted to talk about demutualization of life insurance policies, rather to illustrate why and who was buying 88 million dollar life insurance policies in the first place.

yea i misread it, i thought the $88M was so high b/c of the ipo. i have to assume the $15M premiums for an $88M payout means they were relatively young and not expected to die before paying a bunch more premiums. the language of them buying the insurance "to cover estate tax", i think means something like this: the estate is valued at $1.5B but it mostly in investments or whatever, assets the heirs don't necessarily want to have to liquidate to pay the estate taxes that will be due. so the couple buys a life insurance policy with a payout of roughly what the estate tax will be, and this may have some additional tax benefits for the heirs (as in, paying less taxes on the $88M payout since it's not part of the estate)

my point is, they are basically pre-paying the estate tax for their heirs in this scenario, gradually, in the form of insurance premiums (and in part by the fact that the premiums they pay the insurance company are now invested for the profit of the insurance company rather than to grow the estate). they might save something on the margins, and this particular case they got a random bonus. if they die unexpectedly the heirs get a big bonus, but that's how life insurance is supposed to work. in the end the insurance payout money is coming from somewhere, and life insurance companies can't stay solvent if they arrange to pay out more than they (on average) get paid in

Dislike button posted:

but, lol at someone worth 1.5 billion dollars aldo getting a 2 million dollar windfall on their life insurance. the rich get richer

hey now, sometimes the working class get a break too!

Woman Trades Single Packet of McDonald's Szechuan Sauce for Volkswagen

quote:

Originally looking to trade her Szechuan sauce for a collection of pins, she was surprisingly offered something even better. She is now the proud owner of a 2004 Volkswagen GTI. Luckily for her, it wasn't even a base model that she received in the trade. The German hatch features Volkswagen's 1.8-liter turbo 4-cylinder motor coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission, both of which options keep the car worth a bit more than its 2.0-liter and automatic counterparts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apple’s Denise Young Smith sent an apology to team members at Apple today over comments she made at the One Young World Summit in Bogotá, Colombia.

“Last week, while attending a summit in Bogota, I made some comments as part of a conversation on the many factors that contribute to diversity and inclusion….I regret the choice of words I used to make this point,” said Smith in the memo.

As the company’s Vice President of Inclusion and Diversity, Smith has been the tip of Apple’s D&I spear during an era of increasing pressure on big tech companies to improve their inclusiveness. Smith came under fire from diversity advocates and commentators over a specific statement she made during a panel she was on alongside activist DeRay Mckesson and Michael Hastings, which was moderated by Aamna Mohdin of Quartz.

quote:

Aamna Mohdin: I wanted to touch on something that you said, Denise, that it’s not only just about numbers in Silicon Valley, but you’ve taken on a new role in Apple for inclusion and diversity, and a lot of that is going to be about the numbers. And I just kind of wanted to know whether black women is a priority for you in this new role?

Denise Young Smith: I’ll say this. So first of all, it’s a new role, but it’s not. I’ve been black and a woman for a long time…I have been doing this work, I have been playing this role for a very long time. I have been a first, I’ve been an only, when I was at the same conference that I just referenced, there were numbers and numbers of black women together — successful, professional, astonishing black women, and we were sharing stories and every single one of us could share the same stories about being in a room, in a meeting and someone would assume you were the assistant, the secretary, that you were not the manager, you were not the boss and that your staff person that was three levels below you was your boss. We all shared those stories.

Denise Young Smith: Aamna, you also asked me about my work at Apple, or in particular, who do I focus on? I focus on everyone. Diversity is the human experience. I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color or the women or the LGBT or whatever because that means they’re carrying that around…because that means that we are carrying that around on our foreheads.

And I’ve often told people a story– there can be 12 white blue-eyed blonde men in a room and they are going to be diverse too because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation. The issue is representation and mix and bringing all the voices into the room that can contribute to the outcome of any situation. So I focus on everyone, but I also focus on allies and alliances because to DeRay’s point, there’s an incredible amount of power in those who have platforms or those who have the benefit of greater representation to tell the stories of those who do not. So whenever we can accomplish that, then that is a win for everyone. And I think that is something that people, that we all tend to… particularly those who protest things that we are fearful about, we can all win in this story, and so that’s what I try to focus on at Apple.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

features Volkswagen's 1.8-liter turbo 4-cylinder motor coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission, both of which options keep the car worth a bit more than its 2.0-liter and automatic counterparts

maybe if you like ripping your front clip off and being slow. fuckin fake news.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sapozhnik posted:

in the uk it isn't illegal to discriminate against a housing applicant's source of income lmao

guess what literally every single last housing ad says at the bottom

I don't understand what you are saying here ?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
more amazon warehouse fun:

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

quote:

The walls featured murals of Amazon’s warehouse mascot, a bloblike orange character called Peccy, along with Orwellian slogans like “Problems Are Treasures” and “Variation Is the Enemy.” Wall-mounted dispensers labeled LIL’ MEDIC offered free pain relievers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
not telling my current employer my previous salary got me a 40% raise

it was well worth playing "no you first" for a week imho

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I'm the terrifying puce

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
though maybe amazon warehouses are just purgatory for the sin of being bad with money

quote:

Chuck still remembers the call from Wells Fargo that brought the 2008 financial crisis crashing down on his head. He had invested his $250,000 nest egg in a fund that supposedly guaranteed him $4,000 a month to live on. “You have no more money,” he recalls his banker saying flatly. “What do you want us to do?” Unable to think of a better answer, Chuck told him, “Well, shove your foot up your rear end.” Then he hung up.

Barb had lost her savings too, some $200,000 in investments

quote:

They thought they would retire aboard a sailboat, funding that dream with equity from their three­bedroom house. But then the housing bubble burst and their home’s value tumbled.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 14, 2017

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

coffeetable posted:

though maybe amazon warehouses are just purgatory for the sin of being bad with money

whoooooweeeeeee

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

FrozenVent posted:

yep, and you only have to pull that off a couple/few times before you're doing alright.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

if they can afford it / are building something that Matters they should use marklogic.

jesus christ that's worse than anything that shaggar has ever said

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

jesus christ that's worse than anything that shaggar has ever said

idk i dont see whats bad in a mongo project ditching mongo made by web developers for a mongo made by database developers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FrozenVent posted:

companies are onto your tricks and the credit agencies have paid off the larger payroll handling companies to build salary histories for employment history verification.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Basically every yosposter that wasn't poor growing up probably has an inheritance waiting for him/her. I mean if your dads are doctors like Sagebrushs and HPHs you're gonna get an inheritance for sure, not to mention a nice financially secure childhood.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

Basically every yosposter that wasn't poor growing up probably has an inheritance waiting for him/her. I mean if your dads are doctors like Sagebrushs and HPHs you're gonna get an inheritance for sure, not to mention a nice financially secure childhood.

both my parents were doctors but they went into biotech startupland
my 3rd grade, we were in the projects in providence rhode island. my 4th grade, i went to rancho santa fe elementary, average parent net worth >5mil
it was extremely strange

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have statistically average middle class parents

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk i dont see whats bad in a mongo project ditching mongo made by web developers for a mongo made by database developers

lol i searched marklogic up properly
the highest profile project made with marklogic was the ACA healthcare sign up site
the one that crashed and burned
lol
just lol

e: wait, was it the one that crashed and burned? let me read up more
e2: yep, it was the one

but oracle poo poo sucked harder, as oracle poo poo tends to do
lol

e3: gently caress lol marklogic was originally 100% an XML based db
just lol at your loving poor life decisions

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lol i searched marklogic up properly
the highest profile project made with marklogic was the ACA healthcare sign up site
the one that crashed and burned
lol
just lol

e: wait, was it the one that crashed and burned? let me read up more

while you're reading up, check out mongodb's most high profile project, a thing for astrazeneca r&d for which there are no technologically valid sql solutions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also there are about 0 things wrong about the xml, its all on "disruptive" web developers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also there are about 0 things wrong about the xml, its all on "disruptive" web developers

gonna need you to stop shaggarposting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonna need you to stop shaggarposting
no, literally half of problems i currently have at my job are caused by use of mongo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
why did they name a computer language after a slur

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, literally half of problems i currently have at my job are caused by use of mongo

i ain't advocating for a mongo
i am advocating for real dbs that have real successful users
not among the set of real dbs that have real successful users: mongo, marklogic

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fits my needs posted:

why did they name a computer language after a slur

you mean javascript?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i ain't advocating for a mongo
i am advocating for real dbs that have real successful users
not among the set of real dbs that have real successful users: mongo, marklogic

okay, that i can't argue with, especially not knowing a thing about marklogic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

wikipedia posted:

Death of Michael Forgey

On March 3, 2016, Monolith's Executive Producer, Michael David Forgey, died of cancer. To commemorate the loss of Shadow of War's Executive Producer, Monolith and Warner Bros announced a DLC named "Forthog Orc-Slayer". Originally, $3.50 of the proceeds from the DLC made from any of the majority of the U.S. states[13][14] would go to the Forgey family through December 31, 2019.[15] Warner Brothers was criticized for attempting to cash in on Michael Forgey's death.[16] Following public backlash, on September 27, 2017, the DLC was made free to all who purchased the game and all proceeds were refunded to those who purchased it beforehand, in favor of Warner Bros making a lump sum donation to the Forgey family.[17]
lol gaming

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fits my needs posted:

my parents keep telling me to set up a roth ira for them to deposit money into which im like 90% sure is just a tax dodge plan

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
"keep telling me"? you're refusing money?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

"keep telling me"? you're refusing money?

he's a physicist so likely just terminally lazy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he's a physicist so likely just terminally lazy

this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

not being lazy accelerates the heat death of the universe.

it is really the only moral way to live.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
take the money, idiot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

not being lazy accelerates the heat death of the universe.

it is really the only moral way to live.

heat death is a scam, heath

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bump_fn posted:

my parents keep telling me to set up a roth ira for them to deposit money into which im like 90% sure is just a tax dodge plan

It takes like ten minutes to setup a vanguard Roth IRA online and you should have one regardless of your parents giving you free money

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s like u people have never read my shitposts before

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have statistically average middle class parents

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
on the subject of physics, wealth is distributed ~ power law (or stretched exponential, or power law with stretched exponential shoulder) so averages mean nothing and medians mean everything
it's the fate of nearly all of humanity to be destitute and has been for millenia
eat that loving universality, yospos bithc

other things that high people have claimed are universal with critical yadda yadda: yo filesystem, yo network packet latencies, yo software projects, yo neural nets

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Yo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost