Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern? I want to sell off a bunch of my draft junk, maybe a few hundred dollars' worth and see about building my first modern deck. That seems to be the smart place to put money if I'm starting off.

Decide on the deck you want to play and then buy the lands in it? If you have 0 modern cards don't just buy a bunch of lands and then not have a playable deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern?

Fetches, shocks, fastlands, manlands, checks, pains, etc for your deck of choice. If aggro, prioritise fastlands, shocks and pains. If control, fetches and shocks. Do you know which deck you'll play or what color(s)?

Trip report, "Affinity", 3-0-1

Round 1: Death and Taxes, his game never really comes together and I run him over with small critters, especially fliers. 2-0 After, he played burn and won handily.

Round 2: UW control, he never gets his sweepers in time and is unable to keep up with my tiny fliers, apparently the second time he's lost to to "Affinity," the other time
(last week) also my doing. 2-0

Round 3: Eldrazi Taxes, went to time in game 3 wherein I ran him over with Ravagers and a Master. Highlights of this match include losing a total of 8 cards to Gonti over the course of the match. What a frustrating experience. He got my loving Aether Grid AND Plating off a Wear // Tear he jacked from me. Goddamn. 2-1

Round 4: Split for 5 packs (12.5 store credit), gave him the token since I won a random. Funny how WotC is making sure there's enough promos at each store now that it's no longer a standard-legal eternally-playable spell on the line. 0-0-1

Takeaway: Nissa is indeed too spicy for my deck, I guess I'll go back to Bolts. Back to Nature once again an MVP as all of my opponents main 8-10 Paths. Maybe she can sideboard vs white since they'll make sure I get all my basics. :thunk:

Slowly but surely turning all of my money into store credit, :tenbux: at a time. MNgoons and neighboring state goons ought to get in on Regionals, November 4 at the Minneapolis Convention Centre, start time 10:, $40, modern.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

play bogles

e: oh man my store on gives 9 in store credit and you pay 10 to get in. you get 12? that's nice

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 14, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tubgoat posted:

Fetches, shocks, fastlands, manlands, checks, pains, etc for your deck of choice. If aggro, prioritise fastlands, shocks and pains. If control, fetches and shocks. Do you know which deck you'll play or what color(s)?

Trip report, "Affinity", 3-0-1

Round 1: Death and Taxes, his game never really comes together and I run him over with small critters, especially fliers. 2-0 After, he played burn and won handily.

Round 2: UW control, he never gets his sweepers in time and is unable to keep up with my tiny fliers, apparently the second time he's lost to to "Affinity," the other time
(last week) also my doing. 2-0

Round 3: Eldrazi Taxes, went to time in game 3 wherein I ran him over with Ravagers and a Master. Highlights of this match include losing a total of 8 cards to Gonti over the course of the match. What a frustrating experience. He got my loving Aether Grid AND Plating off a Wear // Tear he jacked from me. Goddamn. 2-1

Round 4: Split for 5 packs (12.5 store credit), gave him the token since I won a random. Funny how WotC is making sure there's enough promos at each store now that it's no longer a standard-legal eternally-playable spell on the line. 0-0-1

Takeaway: Nissa is indeed too spicy for my deck, I guess I'll go back to Bolts. Back to Nature once again an MVP as all of my opponents main 8-10 Paths. Maybe she can sideboard vs white since they'll make sure I get all my basics. :thunk:

Slowly but surely turning all of my money into store credit, :tenbux: at a time. MNgoons and neighboring state goons ought to get in on Regionals, November 4 at the Minneapolis Convention Centre, start time 10:, $40, modern.
Next time, you both may want to re-read Gonti and Wear//Tear.

E: Also the whole CFB Judge shenanigans turned out pretty well. :unsmith:

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 14, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern? I want to sell off a bunch of my draft junk, maybe a few hundred dollars' worth and see about building my first modern deck. That seems to be the smart place to put money if I'm starting off.

You only need 20 mountains to play Burn

poo poo, man, maybe even just 19

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I have to say, these stores I'm hitting on vacation are spoiling me. $4 store credit/pack you would win. A pack per win for $12 drafts, and a pity pack if you go 0/X (cannot be redeemed for store credit)

Sure beats no store credit, $15 drafts, 3-0 5 packs and 2-1 1 pack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

You only need 20 mountains to play Burn

poo poo, man, maybe even just 19

Not if you want a good burn deck in modern, and burn is a legit deck in modern

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I've tried r/w burn on xmage and I feel as if the game too often ends with the opponent with three life left while I'm stuck topdecking lands

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 14, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mikujin posted:

Next time, you both may want to re-read Gonti and Wear//Tear.

Did just now, please elaborate?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tubgoat posted:

Fuse has a clause specifically about casting from your hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tubgoat posted:

You can only fuse when you cast it from your hand.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Aha! Thank you. Now I'm REALLY glad I pulled that game out!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Canadian nationals tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, I kind of felt bad yesterday because I was playing Standard Mill last night. I had Hostage Taker'd a Scarab God away the turn before. They just tank for a minute, then pass. I draw, go into main phase, and cast it. They say "in respoise, I'll Vraska's Contempt [the Taker] :smug:" and I gotta point out it doesn't work that way. And then I pulled no take backs because they were really passive aggressively making GBS threads on my deck playing 4 Slither Blades and Winds of Rebuke before. If you've got 4 Gods and 4 Torrential Gearhulks in your deck you should know how to do that correctly. And no, this person wasn't borrowing a deck to learn how to play.

Since I'm a stupid newbie: why does it not work that way? Wouldnt VC exile the Taker, thus returning the Scarab God to his side of the board before it resolves? I feel like I still don't get the stack sometimes. Or does casting the exiled creature not go on the stack at all?

PJOmega posted:

I have to say, these stores I'm hitting on vacation are spoiling me. $4 store credit/pack you would win. A pack per win for $12 drafts, and a pity pack if you go 0/X (cannot be redeemed for store credit)

Sure beats no store credit, $15 drafts, 3-0 5 packs and 2-1 1 pack.

10€ draft with rare/foilpick is where it's at.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Katana Gomai posted:

Since I'm a stupid newbie: why does it not work that way? Wouldnt VC exile the Taker, thus returning the Scarab God to his side of the board before it resolves? I feel like I still don't get the stack sometimes. Or does casting the exiled creature not go on the stack at all?
No.

As soon as he starts to cast the Scarab God, he moves the card from exile (where it currently is) to the stack. There is no longer a card in exile for Hostage Taker to return to play.

E: Recall the steps to playing a spell:
- Announce it, put the spell (card) on the stack.
- Choose modes (if applicable) and select targets.
- Determine costs.
- Pay costs.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mikujin posted:

No.

As soon as he starts to cast the Scarab God, he moves the card from exile (where it currently is) to the stack. There is no longer a card in exile for Hostage Taker to return to play.

E: Recall the steps to playing a spell:
- Announce it, put the spell (card) on the stack.
- Choose modes (if applicable) and select targets.
- Determine costs.
- Pay costs.

:doh: Well, there you go. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Buy Null Rods now if you want them. Like right now.

For vintage weekend last year I had to pay 25 for my last one :/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I've tried r/w burn on xmage and I feel as if the game too often ends with the opponent with three life left while I'm stuck topdecking lands

yes, thats burn

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Katana Gomai posted:

Another thing to note is that GoutPatrol starts his main phase with priority. Since the opponent doesn't have priority, he can't interrupt any spell/action that GoutPatrol wants to take until GoutPatrol deigns to pass priority.

If the opponent wanted to prevent the Scarab God from being played, he should have cast Vraska's Contempt during the upkeep. Instead he tried to get his cake and eat it too and probably had to VC the scarab god instead.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A close friend of mine who's an expert in affinity(top 16ed a GP with the deck, consistently does well in leagues) made some videos of him playing through some leagues and I think he does a reasonably good job of talking through his plays and stuff. Anyway if you're interested, take a look

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

But can he teach me, a Merfolk player, how to make the matchup not horrid?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/919255796197638144

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

Do what I've been doing and cut your opponent into a series of unkeepable hands until he or she gives up and keeps Signal Pest, Blinkmoth, Opal.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Count Bleck posted:

Learn the matchup backwards and forwards and hope you know it better than the affinity player. Play a full grip of hurkyls in the board and play tight. At my LGS I am > 50% with fish vs affinity, sample size 20 or so.

Edit: Speaking of fish, anyone tried the green splash? Figure cut master of waves and some other assorted stuff for coco, the 2/1 explore, and maybe the 2/2 for G?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Much like his marriage?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jesus, watching the VOD of Nationals and the Skype message noises are just all over the place.

Do they eventually mute them?

(Also, I tuned in because the title is "US Nationals - Draft", but nope, it's Standard)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 5-2 day 1 at Canadian nationals
3-1 standard
2-1 draft

Then dropped to play the modern open tomorrow because there’s no way I’m gonna go 7-0 tomorrow for a shot at top 8.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mezzanon posted:

Went 5-2 day 1 at Canadian nationals
3-1 standard
2-1 draft

Then dropped to play the modern open tomorrow because there’s no way I’m gonna go 7-0 tomorrow for a shot at top 8.

Are there really that many people at the Canadian Nationals that it justified a 14 round tournament, and only X-2 or better would make top 8? I figured there'd only be like 200 people.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Are there really that many people at the Canadian Nationals that it justified a 14 round tournament, and only X-2 or better would make top 8? I figured there'd only be like 200 people.

I think 700 or so registered? They had to change venues to a significantly larger space.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

very nice of him to not directly blame WOTC for making the trophies cheap as gently caress

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

very nice of him to not directly blame WOTC for making the trophies cheap as gently caress

Having a trophy made is so incredibly easy these days. Youth soccer gives out better trophies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

14 rounds good Christ

FNM last night was four rounds and I was so worn out I don't know if I could've made it home under my own power, how does anyone play that long?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 15, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

meth

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

14 rounds good Christ

FNM last night was four rounds and I was so worn out I don't know if I could've made it home under my own power, how does anyone play that long?

*shrug* I feel fine after 10 rounds. Of course, if I'm still playing after 10 rounds it means I'm winning so that definitely helps.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I start getting a headache after like hour 3. I think I lean over the table/stay tensed too long.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
People play long events and don't account for drinking enough water or planning on how you're going to eat. Always keep your bottle full, don't fill up on sugary poo poo, and walk around between rounds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

I start getting a headache after like hour 3. I think I lean over the table/stay tensed too long.

Yeah the headache is what I get, I think last night might have just been particularly bad because I was on a new deck that is a prison/control deck, so not only did I have to stay super-focused I think I might have been the last person to finish in each match (so no time for snacks or water between rounds). Maybe there's a reason I gravitate towards fast non-interactive decks!

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

C-Euro posted:

14 rounds good Christ

Yeah, I stopped going to one of my LGS because they routinely had six-round FNM drafts. Nope and nope.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

14 rounds good Christ

Taiwan Nationals was 2 days for 205 people. I started round 1 at table 1 and was at table 101 at round 4. I ended up in 190th place playing 7 rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, I stopped going to one of my LGS because they routinely had six-round FNM drafts. Nope and nope.

....do you loving play round robin with your draft table or something?