Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know they wanted to do a sitcom with Luxwana Troi once?

Thank fuckin' God we got DS9 instead

That would either be the worst thing ever or the best thing ever. Not a lot of possibilities in between I think.

But she works better as an occasional guest character, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know they wanted to do a sitcom with Luxwana Troi once?

I’m imagining something like Golden Girls, with Lwaxana being some mix of Dorothy and Blanche. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are both bottom 5 series episodes

Okona does not fit the show and the Data subplot is cringeworthy

There's at least three different scenes that end with a cast regular smiling and going "Man, he is so loving outrageous" as the music swells into this cutesy sting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's at least three different scenes that end with a cast regular smiling and going "Man, he is so loving outrageous" as the music swells into this cutesy sting.
Right, that's why I hate it so much. It's clear that they want you to like this guy who is basically Han Solo. It's very grating. Also his whole plot where he is a wanted man is stupid and revolved pretty blandly

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The_Doctor posted:

I’m imagining something like Golden Girls, with Lwaxana being some mix of Dorothy and Blanche. :allears:

I was against the idea but then you mentioned the Golden Girls and I was like "well if it's like that it could be pretty all right"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I literally cannot remember a thing about that Okona episode and I'm okay with that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing that annoyed me the most about the Okona episode was Troi saying (paraphrased) "these cultures seem to consider who the father of a child is important, as backward as that is".

Like, poo poo, even in the 24th century, folks are gonna wanna know who their parents were, or if their kid is there's.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I literally cannot remember a thing about that Okona episode and I'm okay with that.

I think his subplot was some stupid Romeo-and-Juliet type analog, with an implication that he banged the Juliet expy. He reveals that the Romeo expy loves her truly, and that helps bring the warring families together.

Also Data learns more about humor with the help of Guinan and holodeck Joe Piscopo. And he's the woooooooooooooooooorst.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MisterBibs posted:

The thing that annoyed me the most about the Okona episode was Troi saying (paraphrased) "these cultures seem to consider who the father of a child is important, as backward as that is".

Like, poo poo, even in the 24th century, folks are gonna wanna know who their parents were, or if their kid is there's.

In Gene's beautiful vision of the future he can bang every woman without any consequences. To him.

Grand Fromage posted:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I bet Data's head was the inspiration for items that criss-cross time loops in Homestuck like the bunny or of course Lil Cal.

Considering that Andrew Hussie was the Andrew in the JAndrew TNG edits, this seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTRLPx7IuQ

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Instant Sunrise posted:

Considering that Andrew Hussie was the Andrew in the JAndrew TNG edits, this seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTRLPx7IuQ

Woah what? I didn't know the connection. I always thought "man, that stupid homestuck fandom worships the a guy with the same name as those awesome trek edits"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 6, episode 22 "Valiant"

A.k.a. the ship full of Wesley Crushers. You know over in the Cinema Discusso Star Wars thread there's a lot of talk right now about Hayden Christiansen's acting job in Attack of the Clones, and how one can do a good job acting in an uncomfortable or distasteful way. Without bringing my opinion to bear, the argument goes his performance is not enjoyable, yet well done regarding what they were going for.

The cadets in this episode are much the same. They're a bunch of arrogant douchey tryhards who are talented but don't know poo poo. The "XO" most of all; I really despised her, even more than the "captain."

Reminded me a lot of Discovery.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Why do people on the (TNG era) Enterprise have like, trays of hard boiled eggs and spiny melon sitting around in their bedrooms.

What the gently caress are you gonna do with a bunch of eggs, plums, spiny melon, and tomato.

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 14, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Charles Get-Out posted:

Man I'm watching Enterprise and I forgot how much I like the goofy episodes like season 1 ep 4 aka the one where Trip fucks the gross alien.

Parts of the show look very modern, but than you get foil wrapped holodecks, shiny alien uniforms on a ship with laser tag floors, art recliners for beds, etc.

edit: Oh man how did I forget that Trip gets pregnant and T'Pol wise cracks about it? 90s as gently caress.

Ah yes, the episode where Trip gets raped, gets pregnant, and then the rest of the crew mock him and imply it was his fault. Enterprise.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Troi's hotness is usually more notional than actual but she has never looked hotter than when she's (I think, it's on the background) turning into this guy's dead wife and her hair has started turning white and she's wearing some kind of Poison Ivy-esque outfit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Why do people on the (TNG era) Enterprise have like, trays of hard boiled eggs and spiny melon sitting around in their bedrooms.

What the gently caress are you gonna do with a bunch of eggs, plums, spiny melon, and tomato.

There weren't any apples.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

24th century humans subsist almost entirely on finger food appetizers.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

It's the traditional time dilation warning system.

Troi's hotness is usually more notional than actual

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a fine line between 'prop department' and 'craft services table'.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Also, I'd lay bets that in the original, more subdued Discovery design, the ring inset into the hull spun:

And then when they jazzed her up they put a gap in and wanted to keep the spinning element.

Shran could conceivably still be around in Discovery, we have no lifespan on Andorians.

I would say it looks like a roulette wheel and spins like one, sort of.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Use #792 for the deflector dish: project your vacation slides onto any nearby moon.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The cadets in this episode are much the same. They're a bunch of arrogant douchey tryhards who are talented but don't know poo poo. The "XO" most of all; I really despised her, even more than the "captain."

What are you talking about? Red Squad always prevails!

RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQUA-

(Yes, I know it's the wrong type of ship, don't nerd out about it, couldn't find a Defiant explosion gif)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm sure the various squads at SFA have a long history of scuttling their training vessels and killing themselves, don't worry!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WampaLord posted:

What are you talking about? Red Squad always prevails!

RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQUA-

(Yes, I know it's the wrong type of ship, don't nerd out about it, couldn't find a Defiant explosion gif)

I've always hated the way that final explosion looks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, why was the saucer section filled with water?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo I just realized something about yoga pants: we are now 25% of the way to wearing form fitting pajamas as everyday outerwear.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized something about yoga pants: we are now 25% of the way to wearing form fitting pajamas as everyday outerwear.

Utilikilts have yet to really take off outside of weird old dads, so skants are still a long way off :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Valiant's destruction is great if just for how the Dominion absolutely loving annihilate it, down to blowing up all but one escape pod.

Also reminded of how the Jem'Hadar's introduction has them blow up the not-Enterprise to show they mean business. Valiant may have been meant to show that the Defiant isn't unstoppable either.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Valiant's destruction is great if just for how the Dominion absolutely loving annihilate it, down to blowing up all but one escape pod.

Also reminded of how the Jem'Hadar's introduction has them blow up the not-Enterprise to show they mean business. Valiant may have been meant to show that the Defiant isn't unstoppable either.

Every other episode O'Brien has to practically rebuild it because of the pounding it takes; it doesn't seem much more durable than any other ship really.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't the Defiant specifically have armour plating as well as strong shields? The Enterprise and such usually got by from having so much superstructure.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, why was the saucer section filled with water?

Certacean Ops.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

Doesn't the Defiant specifically have armour plating as well as strong shields? The Enterprise and such usually got by from having so much superstructure.

Yeah; normally armor is kinda crap in Star Trek compared to shields but the Defiant was built to fight the Borg, who could take down shields like nothing, so they gave her a decent bit of armouring too. And then when the Dominion turned out to be able to ignore shields for a while too, the Defiant had a one-up over most Starfleet ships in battle.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 14, 2017

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

BrandonGK posted:

Certacean Ops.

Nah, they didn't introduce that until after they realized the dire need for it in Star Trek IV

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Regardless of the effect, that whole sequence still feels very heavy to me. At that point, that was the Enterprise. The one all fans had bonded around for eighteen years of TV, movies, fanzines, you name it... it was like a second home (and if you read 70s fan pubs, the only stable one some knew) and it's destroyed right there. For real, in an official production. By our heroes themselves. With all the forms of Star Trek that have come about since then, it's hard to imagine that there was a time when this was it, this is all there was.

We can complain about how it was carried out, and how out-of-character McCoy's line is, but it's intense, maaan...

"No bloody A, B, C, or D."

Admiral Bosch posted:

Utilikilts have yet to really take off outside of weird old dads, so skants are still a long way off :negative:

You obviously need to go to more cons! And volunteer! And hold the ladder when they're hanging lights! And...

:stonk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be hilarious if after the No Bloody A, B, C, or D line the holodeck opened and Scott walked into the bridge of the NX Enterprise and got mad. Though at that time it hasn't been invented yet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

After The War posted:

We can complain about how it was carried out, and how out-of-character McCoy's line is, but it's intense, maaan...

Out of character? I thought Bones' line was perfectly aligned with his humanism.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It would be hilarious if after the No Bloody A, B, C, or D line the holodeck opened and Scott walked into the bridge of the NX Enterprise and got mad. Though at that time it hasn't been invented yet.

Or the Nuclear Wessel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he did specify starship.

The holodeck opens and Scott walked into the bridge of the Enterprise... J? Daniels sits sternly at the con. "Montgomery... You and I need to have a discussion about transparent aluminum."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Out of character? I thought Bones' line was perfectly aligned with his humanism.

Same, McCoy is a lot more than snarky remarks about whether or not he's X rather than a doctor. He's the most down-to-earth of the big 3 and Kirk's emotional anchor. And conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
McCoy has a great excuse for being out of character anyway since he's still got Spock rattling around in there.

I don't think the line is that odd for McCoy but it's not a great delivery from Kelley, unfortunately.