Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I could have lived without the space nakedness newtype substitute in season 2.

Also the whole show should have used Ash Like Snow for all the openings AND endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I prefer Daybreak's Bell, personally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno if there's a more digestible English name but I liked Hakanaku Mo Towa No Kanashi best.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

I prefer Daybreak's Bell, personally.

The Gundam Versus trial version a couple months back made me hate Daybreak's Bell with all of my soul because it was one of like five songs available in the beta so it would play on loop constantly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite 00 song is Wana.

I think something is broken in me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shinjobi posted:

Also the whole show should have used Ash Like Snow for all the openings AND endings.

A very good fandub of Ash Like Snow is the only 00 song I regularly listen to. It's very, very good.

Specifically, this fandub, which was reuploaded at some point and I'm glad it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnfu2f5HjiM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I could have lived without the space nakedness newtype substitute in season 2.

I actually didn't mind the space-nudity because it's kinda-sorta relevant even with season 2's bullshit; The point is that an ultra-dense GN particle field creates a telepathic link between everyone inside it so they fully understand eachother. You can't hide secrets, you can't lie, everything is literally laid bare between them. The whole premise is stupid as gently caress compared to season 1's relative grounding, but it's at least internally consistent.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Important question. Who wore it better: Loran or Tieria?

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?

chumbler posted:

Don't you mean, Laura Rolla?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

Judau

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Bring Stabbity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like 00 because it's a stealth adaptation of Foundation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like 00 because it's a stealth adaptation of Foundation.

Not very stealth. The title of the movie kinda tipped their hand wrt classic sci-fi

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

To quote a famous poet: "Por que no los dos?"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This is entirely too cute :3:

I wanna see all the aquatics in sweaters now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bring Stabbity.

Hiling Care.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Caros posted:

They really should have had Saji pilot the 00 and left Lockon dead. :colbert:

Realtalk, Feldt should have got the Lockon code name and piloted Cherudim.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shinjobi posted:

Hiling Care.
Anew Returner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ah man watching IBO for hours today and ended up watching one more before bed. biscuit :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like to think I watch more gundam than the average fan.

I never really understood the 00 season 2 complaints of it became more standard gundamy. What is more gundamy?

I just thought it was just generic terrible use of characters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

I never really understood the 00 season 2 complaints of it became more standard gundamy. What is more gundamy?

it's been a long time since i watched 00 but the a-laws are just straight up the titans again and there was a big uptick in newtype-but-we-don't-call-it-newtype bs in season 2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

it's been a long time since i watched 00 but the a-laws are just straight up the titans again and there was a big uptick in newtype-but-we-don't-call-it-newtype bs in season 2

Don't forget the sudden addition of Char Mr Bushido.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zedd posted:

Anew Returner.

Girard Spriggan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

Girard Spriggan.

That's not as engrishy a name as you might think; a Spriggan is a Cornish faery spirit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh sure. But what it lacks in English, it makes up for in various characters repeatedly saying her full name throughout two episodes as if she was super important.

She wasn't.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My son is also named Bork Cry

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

This is kind of silly, but it always bothered me that CB suddenly had uniforms in season 2 after spending all of S1 as such a civilian style group everyone just had regular rear end clothes or normal suits.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

It becomes a retread of a lot of Zeta plot points and to fit that it had to make things way more black and white.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

Srice posted:

It becomes a retread of a lot of Zeta plot points and to fit that it had to make things way more black and white.

They drop the geopolitical angle with interesting and good people on all sides and it just turns into heroic celestial being against the evil fascist government.

Which was what made the start of the movie so god damned funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They could've done something really interesting with Saji and Louise. Celestial Being was trying to fundamentally change the world, comfortable first-world civilians like Saji and Louise could've been audience stand-ins for what it would be like to live through that.

But that would've required Gundam 00 to get into how the first world profits from overseas wars and I don't know if a show for selling model kits wants to get that kind of political.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dulkor posted:

This is kind of silly, but it always bothered me that CB suddenly had uniforms in season 2 after spending all of S1 as such a civilian style group everyone just had regular rear end clothes or normal suits.

I'm cool with it because the CB uniforms are rad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

I'm cool with it because the CB uniforms are rad.

I'm okay with the designs but I hate how they're color coded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

They could've done something really interesting with Saji and Louise. Celestial Being was trying to fundamentally change the world, comfortable first-world civilians like Saji and Louise could've been audience stand-ins for what it would be like to live through that.

But that would've required Gundam 00 to get into how the first world profits from overseas wars and I don't know if a show for selling model kits wants to get that kind of political.

To be fair multiple Gundam shows have gotten that politicial. Even SEED did bizarrely. They just rarely go anywhere much with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Mind you, there was also a lot of SEED/Destiny in there. Especially with how Marina ended up, and the whole emphasis on communication and understanding (which Zeta had a more, uh, cynical approach to).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kanos posted:

I'm okay with the designs but I hate how they're color coded.
I sort of liked that, because everybody had a different color; even the ones without a MS.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just finished IBO season one. A lot of people have said it pulled it's punches but I thought it was really good despite not killing half the supporting character pilots in the final battle (they killed a shitload of kids though holy poo poo). The previous deaths were enough for me and it was an exciting conclusion.

The end felt like yay we did everything is great but s2's opening really puts it into perspective like "when you deploy children in battle suits and win against the establishment and status quo, more people are going to want child soldiers and battle suits".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I'm giving Kihel the politician points, considering she's the one in Diana's chair for most of the series.

I'd say that's an unfair assessment, and it's actually closer to 50/50 over the course of the show. Dianna is introduced in episode 4 or something, then a few episodes later she and Kihel swap clothes but she does some head of state stuff in those few episodes. Kihel does all the politicking then until about episode 30, when Dianna decides poo poo's gone too far and she needs to go back in to space to try and regain control. Once they're back in space Dianna takes the lion's share of the politicking again, while Kihel plays a much more "watch and learn" role. Occasinally standing in as her replacement to confuse people in shoot outs and so on. It's Dianna that tries to stop Gym before he becomes a threat by ordering him to hand over the Turn-X, it's Dianna that resolves to find out the Black History's full contents and share it publicly, it's Dianna that quells the riots afterwards, it's Dianna the leads the charge against Gym once he and Guin join forces and so on.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay let's be fair, I get the two of them confused. I mean, they do look almost exactly alike and switch places Prince and the Pauper style a lot.

To be even more fair, the show wants you to conflate and confuse them. Harry is one of the few people in the show able to tell them apart, and even he doesn't do it right away. He does however, mention later on that he thinks of the two of them as one person in some ways and also notes at another point that Kihel is starting to take on Dianna's weariness/burden. Which I think is the show's intention. They don't just look alike after all, they have much the same mindset regarding how to do things and their role in society. Kihel starts off the show wanting to be help society rather than be a socialite while Dianna starts it world weary and with no real life of her own, but they both end the show having essentially exchange roles. Including meeting in the metaphorical middle so that each of them takes on the other's persona in thought as well as action.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Relena isn't a politician, she's stone cold gangsta.

Relena, Dianna and Lacus at the least are all rather confrontational and tend to use violence as well as stand up to it physically. Marina Ismail is maybe the first "peace princess" archetype who didn't. Dianna trained a rifle on Corin and his Eagail when he was fighting Loran, then shot his unit when he refused to stand down and tried to kill Agrippa later in the show. Kihel helps her once she realizes what Dianna is doing, though Midgard does it before they can, and both Dianna and Kihel let themselves be taken hostage occasionally, some times at literal gun point, in order to achieve their objective. Lacus lets Athrun hold her at gun point too, in order to sway him to her side. Dianna and Lacus also command battleships, though it's a more a ceremonial role in both cases I think.

Caros posted:

Right up there with 'We killed fan favorite Lockon, but don't worry, here is his identical twin brother who we will also call Lockon and never really mention it past the first few episodes and a nod in the finale'

I think the show did a pretty good job of differentiating Neil and Lyle from each other. They have a different fighting style, different habits, different outlook on the past and how to confront it, different attitudes toward life in general etc. It'd have done them a world of good to make them physically different by having Lockon II (and I can't even recall which brother is which honestly, which doesn't help the point) adopt a different hairstyle, dye his hair or something to physically distinguish himself from his brother. Or just use someone else altogether as others have suggested. Even as someone who thinks they did a decent enough job of what they ended up doing I would still say they'd have been better off doing something else.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was thinking about 00 season 2 today since it's been discussed here recently, and man in retrospect so many of the plot points come across as "We couldn't come up with enough stuff for a full season."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

I was thinking about 00 season 2 today since it's been discussed here recently, and man in retrospect so many of the plot points come across as "We couldn't come up with enough stuff for a full season."

My favorite is how destroying the space laser is portrayed as a huge deal and they go through a lot of effort to bring it down, then not too long after that there's another space laser that's brought down with considerably less effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

My favorite is how destroying the space laser is portrayed as a huge deal and they go through a lot of effort to bring it down, then not too long after that there's another space laser that's brought down with considerably less effort.

Wasn't the first time a case of not having the 00's Raiser? Or at least not working at full strength.