Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Elendil004 posted:

I would love a dev ruling on this.
Checked, you use two but can choose to fire one without the Linked quality if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I was able to buy it, though.

It's very possible your FLGS didn't see that the date had updated. My bud at mine had told me last week that it was coming out on Thursday, and then told me that very Thursday that it had been pushed back. And FFG's website concurs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jivjov posted:

It's very possible your FLGS didn't see that the date had updated. My bud at mine had told me last week that it was coming out on Thursday, and then told me that very Thursday that it had been pushed back. And FFG's website concurs.

I was able to buy it on the website two days ago.

I just checked, you can buy it right now: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny/products/ghosts-dathomir/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yeah, mine's on the way from a shop in Toronto.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I was able to buy it on the website two days ago.

I just checked, you can buy it right now: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny/products/ghosts-dathomir/

Also from their website, US Release Date 10/19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Starting up running a Star Wars campaign again. I'm sad to see that the google hangout app got nuked (along with most of those apps I guess). Discord seems like the next best option, although the play itself takes place in IRC.

The issues I noticed with my group is that they hated the FFG pre-made campaigns, enjoyed the one I had come up with so far, and were struggling with how to interpret the advantages, generally, leaving it to me to interpret. That kinda overloads your workload as a GM, unfortunately. Not sure what to do about that, as a bunch of them tend to think of what the advantage means in terms of game-mechanics before they think of the narrative implications.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Dreylad posted:

Starting up running a Star Wars campaign again. I'm sad to see that the google hangout app got nuked (along with most of those apps I guess). Discord seems like the next best option, although the play itself takes place in IRC.

The issues I noticed with my group is that they hated the FFG pre-made campaigns, enjoyed the one I had come up with so far, and were struggling with how to interpret the advantages, generally, leaving it to me to interpret. That kinda overloads your workload as a GM, unfortunately. Not sure what to do about that, as a bunch of them tend to think of what the advantage means in terms of game-mechanics before they think of the narrative implications.
Well, off the top of my head, there's:
- the harshest way to deal with that, wherein if they can't think of an advantage, that they don't get one. (Which really isn't how the system should be working.)
- the passive--aggressive way of suggesting a couple of "default" advantage suggestions, then, a few minutes after, saying something like, "man, it's a shame you didn't suggest something like XXX", and going "oh, sure!" when they ask if they could have suggested something like that.
- the way where you keep carrying the workload by coming up with good suggestions.
- the way where you ask them if they understand how Advantage works, gently reminding them that they have a say in the narrative, and if they way overstep their boundaries, you'll let them know, but to go hog-wild otherwise; after all, you could say, you wouldn't play both their characters and the enemies in a game of D&D, and just have them watch, right?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Checked, you use two but can choose to fire one without the Linked quality if you want.

Can you provide a link?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at the preview for the AoR Spy book thats up on FFG, and I couldn't remember who the new species was supposed to be.

Its the sleazebag species.

No, really.

Wookiepedia entry for "Elan Sleazebaggano"

Why do I like Star Wars again? I am physically pained by how bad everything about that is.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was looking at the preview for the AoR Spy book thats up on FFG, and I couldn't remember who the new species was supposed to be.

Its the sleazebag species.

No, really.

Wookiepedia entry for "Elan Sleazebaggano"

Why do I like Star Wars again? I am physically pained by how bad everything about that is.

You like it because by running a SW RPG, you've been handed the keys to the cosmos and can edit out any dumb poo poo you don't like.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Madurai posted:

You like it because by running a SW RPG, you've been handed the keys to the cosmos and can edit out any dumb poo poo you don't like.

And because you can force your GM to do a Toydarian voice, which turns out to be anywhere from Jewish, to Irish, to Jamaican, to Latino.

And then because you can get them to do space Tinder between a Trandoshan and a lady with the username "bigbertha69"

Really now, it owns. More often than not, you can acknowledge the dumb poo poo, have a laugh about it, and lean into it to continue with the not-dumb poo poo.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm just dreading the possibility that the various Asian characters that have been cast in the new movies will be revealed to be http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Epicanthix. As opposed to you know, just humans. There were good reasons to bury chunks of the old EU.

On the other hand, no one will ever take Mofference rooms on Moff ships from me.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

No fukkin way, they named them after epicanthic folds? Was Lando a Melaninanin?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

How long does it take for one of the core books to get back in print? Edge of the Empire is out of print at the moment and it's the only one I'm all that interested in, at least to start with. It's available on Amazon second-hand but that starts at about £70.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

cargohills posted:

How long does it take for one of the core books to get back in print? Edge of the Empire is out of print at the moment and it's the only one I'm all that interested in, at least to start with. It's available on Amazon second-hand but that starts at about £70.

Can you have it ordered from Amazon Canada somehow? It's in stock at £40 there with Prime.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Crumbletron posted:

Can you have it ordered from Amazon Canada somehow? It's in stock at £40 there with Prime.

"This item does not ship to your selected location", sadly. Force and Destiny isn't available on Amazon or the FFG website either, which is probably the more interesting of the other two.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ghosts of Dathomir arrived. It's pretty good so far. Really wonder why it got so delayed thought. Do you think it had something to do with the release of the Canon book Dark Disciples?

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Covok posted:

Ghosts of Dathomir arrived. It's pretty good so far. Really wonder why it got so delayed thought. Do you think it had something to do with the release of the Canon book Dark Disciples?

Supposedly the holdup was later in the production process such that approval delays are less credible than a shipping container going missing somewhere on the South China Sea and the whole print run having to be done again.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
So I got few questions about two-weapon fighting.

1) Do the properties of both weapons stack? For instance, say my character is dual wielding superior pistols. Do I add two ADVANTAGE? Or just one for the primary gun I'm aiming with?

2) And if I don't combine the benefits, does that mean I don't combine the penalties? Example: if I'm dual wielding pistols and one is superior and one is inferior, do I only use the properties of the pistol I'm shooting with? Or do the penalties get added for the second gun but the bonuses don't?

3) No matter how good my attack roll is, I only add the net successes to the attack ONCE, right? So if I'm using two pistols with a 5 damage and I roll 4 successes I do 14 damage (5 for primary pistol, 5 for secondary pistol, and 4 for the successes) correct?

4) Not a two weapon question, but still a pertinent one for my character. Do guns only have one actuator? Or can I use two actuator-related attachments? I've got my eye on the overcharged actuating module and the blaster actuating module. It doesn't say you CAN'T use both, but I imagine if blasters only have actuator then common sense would kick in and say "no." I don't even know what an actuator is!

5) The "Accurate" property stacks, right? Like if I get a gun that's "Accurate 1" and I get an attachment that gives it "Accurate 1" does it now have "Accurate 2"? And would the same answer apply to something like "Inaccurate" or "Superior"? I'm guessing not on "Superior" because that property doesn't have a number associated with it.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

FuriousAngle posted:

So I got few questions about two-weapon fighting.

1) Do the properties of both weapons stack? For instance, say my character is dual wielding superior pistols. Do I add two ADVANTAGE? Or just one for the primary gun I'm aiming with?

2) And if I don't combine the benefits, does that mean I don't combine the penalties? Example: if I'm dual wielding pistols and one is superior and one is inferior, do I only use the properties of the pistol I'm shooting with? Or do the penalties get added for the second gun but the bonuses don't?

3) No matter how good my attack roll is, I only add the net successes to the attack ONCE, right? So if I'm using two pistols with a 5 damage and I roll 4 successes I do 14 damage (5 for primary pistol, 5 for secondary pistol, and 4 for the successes) correct?

4) Not a two weapon question, but still a pertinent one for my character. Do guns only have one actuator? Or can I use two actuator-related attachments? I've got my eye on the overcharged actuating module and the blaster actuating module. It doesn't say you CAN'T use both, but I imagine if blasters only have actuator then common sense would kick in and say "no." I don't even know what an actuator is!

5) The "Accurate" property stacks, right? Like if I get a gun that's "Accurate 1" and I get an attachment that gives it "Accurate 1" does it now have "Accurate 2"? And would the same answer apply to something like "Inaccurate" or "Superior"? I'm guessing not on "Superior" because that property doesn't have a number associated with it.

I actually have a gunslinger in Grey's ongoing Starwars RPG game, and I can answer some of those questions... or at least give you my interpretation to it.

Let's use two pistols that have base damage 6 as an example to make it simple.

1) The properties of the weapons do NOT stack. For example, one of the pistols has pierce 1, the other does not. You'd fire and hit. If you hit once, you can say it was the pistol with pierce is your primary and get that attribute. If you hit with both weapons, you only get the pierce 1 on the first hit, nothing on the second.

2) I'm not sure about the inferior quality and mixing that with the superior quality to be honest. It might very well stack in that case (so one advantage, one disadvantage, and they just cancel), but it'd only matter if you actually hit with them. Again, that almost seems like more a question for your GM if you have something like that.

3) Wrong! You actually add your net successes to damage to BOTH attacks. Page 224 of AoR book. "Each hit deals its base damage, +1 damage per uncanceled success." So each hit does your 6 damage +4 successes worth of damage. Now the way I and my GM rule that though, is since it's two separate hits, you apply soak twice as well. Note that you could very well do it the way you're suggesting it, and only apply soak once as the rules for that are a little fuzzy on how many times one should apply soak in those instances.

4) Probably a GM-related question. Technically since it doesn't say anywhere in the text that a gun can only have one actuator mod, you could probably have both! Be sure to ask though as the writers might not have thought of splat books when considering this.

5) Accurate stacks, yes. If you got Accurate 1 from your gun and you get a mod that gives Accurate 1, you now have Accurate 2. I think the same applies to inaccurate if that's something that can have a number associated with it. It does stack... and I would guess accurate and inaccurate cancel each other out. Probably the only instance where technically a setback die is canceled by a boost die.

Hope that helps! A lot of it is ask the GM and talk to them about the rules and how you would like those points ruled.

Lateinshowing fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 22, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Lateinshowing posted:

1) The properties of the weapons do NOT stack.

2) I'm not sure about the inferior quality and mixing that with the superior quality to be honest. It might very well stack in that case (so one advantage, one disadvantage, and they just cancel), but it'd only matter if you actually hit with them. Again, that almost seems like more a question for your GM if you have something like that.

So are you saying that you don't apply the benefits of both guns but you DO apply the penalties of both guns?

I'm more interested in RAW so I can present a case to the GM and cut down on the amount of work he has to do, if possible.

Lateinshowing posted:

3) Wrong! You actually add your net successes to damage to BOTH attacks. Page 224 of AoR book. "Each hit deals its base damage, +1 damage per uncanceled success." ... since it's two separate hits, you apply soak twice as well. Note that you could very well do it the way you're suggesting it, and only apply soak once as the rules for that are a little fuzzy on how many times one should apply soak in those instances.

Thanks! That's good to know. The "soak applied to both hits" was something I'd meant to ask but had completely forgotten about.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The rules for dual-wielding say that you build the dice pool with the worst stat and worst skill and worst range/cover/etc modifier then add a penalty on top of that then roll, so yeah, the rules definitely seem to be in favor of using the worst modifiers for the check. At lower skill ranks you're probably better off using a weapon with Linked or Auto-fire than trying to dual-wield.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
You only apply the properties of the firing weapon on the initial attack, but once you spend the advantage to trigger the second weapon its qualities then apply. If you check the FFG forums there’s a “Developer answered questions” thread with the details in.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

You only apply the properties of the firing weapon on the initial attack, but once you spend the advantage to trigger the second weapon its qualities then apply. If you check the FFG forums there’s a “Developer answered questions” thread with the details in.

To FuriousAngle:

This is more what I meant to say. Some things are a bit more clearer on those forums as the people who wrote the rules actually put down how they intended the rules to be used. After all, it makes sense to use the qualities of just one weapon... and then let the qualities of the other weapon come into play if you actually hit with both.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Talkie Toaster posted:

It's been a couple week sinces we discussed it FuriousAngle, but iirc that's what we thought too?

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Lateinshowing posted:

To FuriousAngle:

This is more what I meant to say. Some things are a bit more clearer on those forums as the people who wrote the rules actually put down how they intended the rules to be used. After all, it makes sense to use the qualities of just one weapon... and then let the qualities of the other weapon come into play if you actually hit with both.

Yeah, I think that's what Drone and I discussed... my question is what about a weapon that has an inaccurate property on it? That only adds a setback die to the attack pool, so would you add that in retroactively AFTER you've activated the second attack? Or would you just leave off the setback die since it doesn't make any sense? Or is it like Valatar said and you use the worst modifier and include the setback from the second gun's inaccurate property?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

Yeah, I think that's what Drone and I discussed... my question is what about a weapon that has an inaccurate property on it? That only adds a setback die to the attack pool, so would you add that in retroactively AFTER you've activated the second attack? Or would you just leave off the setback die since it doesn't make any sense? Or is it like Valatar said and you use the worst modifier and include the setback from the second gun's inaccurate property?

My shoot-from-the-hip thought (harrrrrr) would be that if the first shot with the good weapon hits and activates the second weapon with advantage, roll a Setback die and see if it counteracts the advantage. If it doesn't, the shot from the Inaccurate weapon hits -- if it does, the Inaccurate weapon misses.

But that might be mathematically wonky and arbitrary, but it makes weird sense in my head.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Speaking of star wars mistakes...look at this jaunty lil fella

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Speaking of star wars mistakes...look at this jaunty lil fella

Don't call my next character a mistake please.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Serperoth posted:

Don't call my next character a mistake please.

I mean at least they're not those otterpeople Han Solo punched once.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I mean at least they're not those otterpeople Han Solo punched once.

You mean number 3 from Cracked's "5 Shockingly Insane Scenes From Star Wars’ Expanded Universe" list?

http://www.cracked.com/article_24479_5-star-wars-expanded-universe-scenes-dumber-than-any-prequel.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drone posted:

My shoot-from-the-hip thought (harrrrrr) would be that if the first shot with the good weapon hits and activates the second weapon with advantage, roll a Setback die and see if it counteracts the advantage. If it doesn't, the shot from the Inaccurate weapon hits -- if it does, the Inaccurate weapon misses.

But that might be mathematically wonky and arbitrary, but it makes weird sense in my head.

This is where my head went, but it seems a bit fiddly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Subjunctive posted:

This is where my head went, but it seems a bit fiddly.

Thematically, the reasoning behind it would be that the second weapon's Inferior quality shouldn't affect the ability of the first weapon to hit. If the Setback from the Inferior weapon were applied to the entire roll, that would be the case.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone posted:

Thematically, the reasoning behind it would be that the second weapon's Inferior quality shouldn't affect the ability of the first weapon to hit. If the Setback from the Inferior weapon were applied to the entire roll, that would be the case.

So what I'm gathering from this conversation is that the rules for 2-weapon fighting are written pretty loosely because:
a) the writers were lazy
b) the writers wanted to give the GM and players a more loose system to interpret the way that makes the most sense to them without getting hung up on RAW
c) all of the above

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I made a big dude who dual wielded a maul and a flame thrower
and of course my players chumped the hell out of him with a called shot but I guess that's what I deserve.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drone posted:

Totally get it thematically and mechanically. I’m just concerned about adding more complexity to attack evaluation.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Totally get it thematically and mechanically. I’m just concerned about adding more complexity to attack evaluation.

It seems like, to me, the simplest way to do it is to either say no properties for the second gun get added to the roll or ALL properties for the second gun get added to the roll. And certain properties are already going to be added in, like Pierce, so it seems to me it'd make the most sense to add in ALL properties to the roll, good or bad.

It doesn't make sense to ONLY add the bad properties either (like adding inaccurate but not adding accurate) because the increased difficulty of firing with two guns is already taken into account by actually increasing the difficulty pool AND requiring advantages to activate. Though I'd guess certain attachments couldn't be used (like using a Bantha's Eye scope on both pistols) because you can really only aim through one gun at a time. But it seems to me if you're firing with two Accurate guns you should get two boosts, just like if you're firing with one Accurate and one Inaccurate you'd get one boost and one setback.

But again, the rules seem pretty loose for GM and player interpretation from what I'm hearing.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
No problem with aiming with one gun, then the other, while the first "cools down"; after all, combat rounds last about a minute or so rather than 6 seconds, which is something I have to keep reminding certain players in my group about.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

But it seems to me if you're firing with two Accurate guns you should get two boosts, just like if you're firing with one Accurate and one Inaccurate you'd get one boost and one setback.

We can do it this way for simplicity's sake if you want when it comes up in our game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Lorak posted:

No problem with aiming with one gun, then the other, while the first "cools down"; after all, combat rounds last about a minute or so rather than 6 seconds, which is something I have to keep reminding certain players in my group about.

Yeah, that's still hard to wrap my mind around. Is the idea that all actions in a round are happening simultaneously and that a round is 1 minute? Or are rounds really, like, 5-8 minutes long?

Drone posted:

We can do it this way for simplicity's sake if you want when it comes up in our game.

That sounds best. The last thing I want to do is bog things down with RUUULES. Also it gives me a reason not to just tweak the gun for maximum damage without fear of the penalties. It also makes two accurate/superior guns worth it.