Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hackbunny posted:

I have google authenticator on my iphone :confused:

1Password will also generate OTP for Google Auth as well. I would imagine Keypass can as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
is that like Authy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Haquer posted:

but what about iphone users :rolleyes:
itym windows phone users, and literally nobody cares about them

but there is a microsoft authenticator app that also has ios and android versions, and it sucks to use

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hackbunny posted:

I have google authenticator on my iphone :confused:

does it do push notification based cause thats way more convenient than time based

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

my bitter bi rival posted:

does it do push notification based cause thats way more convenient than time based
that's not how it works, so no

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anthonypants posted:

that's not how it works, so no

oh i thought google did push notification 2fa on android phones

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

anthonypants posted:

cjs: just had to explain to my boss that we can't just replace the ca certificate on our website, and also that sha1 is totally fine for a ca certificate

The amount of poorly informed pants making GBS threads over sha1 after that Google paper was a thing to behold.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

They're push notifications when there's a login to your account from a new device. I don't think you can use them as a 2fa auth. I could be wrong though since I have U2F master race setup for all my google poo poo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

U2F master race

don't do this

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

who cares?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

don't do this

Don't do u2f or don't merge it with white pride trump poo poo?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yoloer420 posted:

Don't do u2f or don't merge it with white pride trump poo poo?

the latter, u2f is good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

speaking of Authy, somebody explain to me how storing all your 2FA credentials on somebody else's server is still 2FA

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hackbunny posted:

who cares?

i do. thats why i asked. having to type in a token is annoying.

duo for example does the push notification 2fa which is nice. google using a system like that would be better, to me. obviously yubikey/u2f is the best tho

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 15, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
co-opting the language of fascism for petty bullshit was a whole lot funnier before there were literal nazis marching in the street

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duo for example does the push notification 2fa which is nice. google using a system like that would be better, to me. obviously yubikey/u2f is the best tho
if you want push notifications so bad then continue to use sms i guess

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Jabor posted:

co-opting the language of fascism for petty bullshit was a whole lot funnier before there were literal nazis marching in the street

The PC gaming master race joke was making fun of stupid pc gamer elitism, it had nothing to do with Trump, but w/e.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mrmcd posted:

The PC gaming master race joke was making fun of stupid pc gamer elitism, it had nothing to do with Trump, but w/e.

if it can be taken the worst way possible, it will be

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

they do

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
how bout just no master races even if it’s about some gamer bullshit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mrmcd posted:

right, they were about nazis, and co-opting their language for petty bullshit was pretty funny.

it's a lot less funny these days, if you're a human being that actually interacts with the world at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the phrase "master race" was funny a few years ago because nobody actually believed in irl master race poo poo for realsies or at least nobody who mattered. this is no longer true so it's not funny any more

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mrmcd posted:

and then it was enthusiastically adopted by said elitists, many of whom are now Nazis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

mega weird how you'd see someone reacting to the term "master race" and your first reaction is to spring to donald trump's defense

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

heavens, stop the presses, a guy might have to type 6 digits in a field

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
my job basically is 2fa for everything all-day non-stop every time I turn around it seems like I need to auth with a token again

and guess what

it’s fine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hackbunny posted:

heavens, stop the presses, a guy might have to type 6 digits in a field

only barely

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

anthonypants posted:

mega weird how you'd see someone reacting to the term "master race" and your first reaction is to spring to donald trump's defense

When did I ever defend Trump?

It was a joke from like 10 years ago about how PC nerds thought their platform was superior for dumb nerd reasons. I admit it probably doesn't translate well now though so I'll withdraw the comment in favor of "u2f not lovely and phishable" or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

When did I ever defend Trump?

It was a joke from like 10 years ago about how PC nerds thought their platform was superior for dumb nerd reasons. I admit it probably doesn't translate well now though so I'll withdraw the comment in favor of "u2f not lovely and phishable" or something.
yeah and a hundred years ago the swastika didn't have anything to do with nazis but guess what

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

anthonypants posted:

yeah and a hundred years ago the swastika didn't have anything to do with nazis but guess what

Yikes even this dead comedy forum can't stand a joke anymore in the fuckup thread

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

reddit pc gamers were never coöpting the language of fascism

they were always fascists

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the joke still means literally the same thing it used to mean. it was always a reference to the "aryan master race" idea common in nazi propaganda.

the recent resurgence in nazi ideology is what makes it a lot less funny than it used to be.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sniep posted:

is that like Authy

i have only used authy for my twitch login, and it's pretty slick but lol storing that poo poo on some 3rd party server for anything actually important

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this is possibly true.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

i mean it was making fun of it for all of 5 minutes before 4chan and reddit started using it in earnest and calling themselves that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the pc master race thing came from a goon who does video game reviews

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
https://github.com/rickmark/mojo_thor/blob/master/notes.md

quote:

Or the story of how the 4th Immutable Law of Security and blind trust in the platform allowed someone to control my life.

First of all, as far as I've been able to deduce this is an "Evil Maid" attack. It cannot be performed remotely (as Apple has closed the holes in Thunderstrike and Thunderstrike 2). It is my working theroy that somone has used the 16 pin technician port on the logic board to manually reflash the Firmware to an evil or exploitable version.

Maybe the next BadBIOS?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RFC2324 posted:

the pc master race thing came from a goon who does video game reviews

yeah, wasn't that a yhatzee joke?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

yeah, wasn't that a yhatzee joke?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

Someone please post the picture of the swastika brand soap or whatever it was that says "gently caress the Nazis, we were here first and we're not changing our brand because of those assholes"

• Locked thread