Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Also, named after death's horse, not a cartoon clown.

:ughh: Oh FFS, how did I miss that? Of course they would be Prachett fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ether Frenzy posted:

I would much rather die horribly in a minor wreck than break canon

*nods sagely; goes to sleep soundly not having to climb back into the Europa*

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Powershift posted:

yyyyyyyyup

my friend and I had a discussion the other day, where we posited that almost any car looks THE BUSINESS™ with some rally tyres on steelies and kc daylighters

this image proves my theory

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Hello Spaceman posted:

my friend and I had a discussion the other day, where we posited that almost any car looks THE BUSINESS™ with some rally tyres on steelies and kc daylighters

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

I am a true believer.
Amen

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
These are amazing I want a mini 956

https://twitter.com/dailysportscar/status/919204449519771648

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That baby C7.R is amazing :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I want all of them

Park them in a mini 30 car garage with all the dream factory blow vans and trucks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Whilst browsing ziptied (oldschool drift forum) I came across this build by a spacex engineer and another ex-spacex engineer.

quote:

We have chosen the form of the destructor and we call it the 242 Fake Race Car.

This car started its life as a 1982 Volvo 242DL. I purchased it in non-running condition for $500 from a stoner in a sketchy part of South Central LA as an 18th birthday present to myelf (just hit 30 this year). The project has been through a frightening number of iterations over the years and has moved cross country twice, but one thing has remained constant: it has yet to move an inch under its own power.

Neo hasn't seen poo poo. We took the red pill and actually found out how deep the rabbit hole goes.

(Unless there is extreme interest in a blow-by-blow account of this car's history, we'll spare everyone (including ourselves) the suffering and skip to the current iteration.)

It's a tube-frame silhouette car Volvo 242. The drivetrain is a 4.4L V8 from a Volvo XC90 mated to a C5 Z06 torque tube and T56 transaxle. The suspension geometry, control arms, and uprights are all from scratch. It will sit on 18x12/18x10.5 BBS motorsport three-piece wheels. And it has roundy-round NASCAR parts, lots of them. The only original part that remains (other than the husk of the body) is the steering rack. Actually, the rack has been pretty heavily modified. gently caress. It's a Volvo 240, honest.

The car will have aero (flat bottom, splitter, rear diffusor, wing(s)). Yes, it will probably look completely ridiculous. Did I mention it's a Volvo 240?

The intended use case is track days. Hill climbs would be rad, but let's be real: The road up Mt. Washington would destroy the underbody and the elevation at Pikes Peak makes anything NA stupidly slow. Also worth noting: Neither my brother nor I have any illusions about our driving skills (read: we suck), so we should probably conscript some sucker to risk plummeting to their death. Currently taking applications.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Buchka fake racecar! Thread with a lot more details here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264064

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the poi posted:

Buchka fake racecar! Thread with a lot more details here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264064

RIP afternoon

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Using the 2000s Ford Superduty method of engine servicing, I see.

Step 1: Lift car off engine.

Edit: actually, upon second glance, it seems even worse -- you have to pull the heads and then maybe you can drop the block out the bottom?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

yyyyyyyyup

drat I would love to do this with my ST.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd debate adding an STI wing is pretty bad because they block rear vision, don't add that much down force, and isn't an oem option in the BRZ possibly bumping it up a class in a few kinds of motorsport.

Subjectively it doesn't add much to the look, honestly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Delivery McGee posted:

Using the 2000s Ford Superduty Fiero method of engine servicing, I see.

Step 1: Lift car off engine.

Edit: actually, upon second glance, it seems even worse -- you have to pull the heads and then maybe you can drop the block out the bottom?

Fixed that for you.

Because it's always a Fiero :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Micra-Turbo-Saab-B204-/302482248331

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd daily it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Welp I have a new dream vehicle.

It was a Grumman LLV, but now it's this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Welp I have a new dream vehicle.

It was a Grumman LLV, but now it's this.

Turn a Grumman LLV into that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't decide if I envy or pity Americans being able to look at that and not hear the Sooty & Co theme.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'd debate adding an STI wing is pretty bad because they block rear vision, don't add that much down force, and isn't an oem option in the BRZ possibly bumping it up a class in a few kinds of motorsport.

Subjectively it doesn't add much to the look, honestly.

If you mean for that FRS picture that is the OEM option TRD wing... Just probably not in any market where it's sold as the FRS.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I am the boots.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iospace posted:

Turn a Grumman LLV into that?

I honestly can't tell if an LLV is too big or too small to use as a base vehicle for that. My sense of scale on both is all hosed up. I mean, I know an LLV is small, but how big is that thing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The main camper body section is probably about 6-7 feet long. Total truck length is about 11 feet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

I am the boots.

I'm the overcab bed that's so narrow you wouldn't be able to sleep on your side.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Easter Egg in a car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-qHo7YT4w8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a proper easter egg would have an animated mouth on that LCD screen chomping while the temperature/fuel gauge eyes went ballistic

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

That's goddamned ridiculous.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?KEF791?videos

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I honestly can't tell if an LLV is too big or too small to use as a base vehicle for that. My sense of scale on both is all hosed up. I mean, I know an LLV is small, but how big is that thing?

That's a kei truck with a camper on the rear end. So, tiny. Probably a bit shorter that an LLV and much thinner.
From what I can gather it's a Nissan Clipper which is really a Mitsubishi Minicab.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is that just for a cool joke or do midgets drive it?

E- I mean as far as sleeping in the camper part goes

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
small people would be fine, i would def like to see if you could knock it over during a spirited uh.. road trip sleepover.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

small people would be fine, i would def like to see if you could knock it over during a spirited uh.. road trip sleepover.

There's probably a warning label above the bed to vary your rhythm to avoid harmonic rocking which could lead to a rollover.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powershift posted:

There's probably a warning label above the bed to vary your rhythm to avoid harmonic rocking which could lead to a rollover.

that is a serious missed t shirt opportunity there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress without rhythm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Snowy posted:

Is that just for a cool joke or do midgets drive it?

E- I mean as far as sleeping in the camper part goes

Lots of ways to get sleeping room out of that, maybe the other side has a pop-out bit. My wife and I can sleep comfortably enough in our kei van with the front seats pushed all the way up. There is just about 6 feet total room and the van isn't designed for it at all so a camper should be able to fit a bunch more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4208uQoLsrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYnbVDzCQZI

Man these are cool as hell.

EDIT
I guess this woman just does this sort of stuff, neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsx92RUril8

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Even with all the modern conveniences, I know that table is exactly the same weird Formica/plywood laminate as the one in my grandparents' '84 E150 conversion van. There's a socket in the floor and another in the underside of the table with a slight taper, and you jam a 3" pipe in between to set up the table.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's goddamned ridiculous.

I dunno, I think that's a superb ringtone to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

toyota MR8? :q:

more pics: https://www.instagram.com/systematicnuance/