Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Yep. This is finally back to the webcomic's events - everything between Garou crushing the tanktoppers and Garou deflecting bullets was new to the Murata redraw.

Obviously, on a fidelity level ONE just can't compare to Murata but the posing in this ONE panel is just superb.

His art ability is Saitama level in everything except from actually drawing/painting, which sounds like a monkey's paw kind of wish but he makes it work anyway because he's the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like there is an arc building here about the despair of the Jobbers who through no particular fault of their own are casually obliterated by people and things that arbitrarily have several dozen times their physical capabilities.

No amount of effort will prevent martial arts expert Snek from maybe getting one page to look cool before he gets his face hammered into a perfectly flat surface. Planning and numbers will not allow Death Gatlings Posse to overcome Garou, even when he himself has been annihilated two times over. He just kinda powered through them and told them to come back with a letter grade that matters. Everyone is offered monster roids to break their limits and even the ones that do tend to be instantly destroyed, chiefly by someone who is the strongest thing on earth for no reason.

I don't know if anything will actually come of it, but still.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2017

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Caidin posted:

I feel like there is an arc building here about the despair of the Jobbers who through no particular fault of their own are casually obliterated by people and things that arbitrarily have several dozen times their physical capabilities.

No amount of effort will prevent martial arts expert Snek from maybe getting one page to look cool before he gets his face hammered into a perfectly flat surface. Planning and numbers will not allow Death Gatlings Posse to overcome Garou, even when he himself has been annihilated two times over. He just kinda powered through them and told them to come back with a letter grade that matters. Everyone is offered monster roids to break their limits and even the ones that do tend to be instantly destroyed, chiefly by someone who is the strongest thing on earth for no reason.

True strength is standing up for what you believe in, protecting those in need, and finding a place in life where you can be happy and proud!

Of course, that does jackshit against the towering overpowered jackasses all over the place, but it's a nice thought, and look there's some overpowered dude doing the job for you, he might even flash you a thumbs-up and say it's you who's truly the strongest

What I mean is, I was wondering the exact same thing. It's kind of a trend, besides the hilarious "fights" of the main character.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Sorry Genos but I'm still in Garou's corner

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Caidin posted:

Well, sure. That's Garou's arc.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Some events have been mixed around in general, but we're finally into chapter 53 of ONE's OPM, though it's not finished and it would spoil what's coming next if you read that chapter.

Just neat to see it finally ticking over.

Ugh, now I have to decide whether I binge through the ONE original again or hold out for the redraw to cover the arc fully.

Caidin posted:

I think there's a difference between situations like Snek's and the heroes Garou just punched-in here. While they all got their asses handed to them, ultimately Snek and the other martial artists (okay mostly Suiryu) did accomplish something by delaying things for long enough that Saitama could arrive and save the day. Much like Genos did when fighting the Deep Sea King and Glasses specifically just did here (assuming Genos doesn't job again). Compare that to Death Gatling who only really cares about his rank and accomplished nothing but strengthening Garou.

If you're fighting for the right reasons this comic has your back, more or less.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Yep. This is finally back to the webcomic's events - everything between Garou crushing the tanktoppers and Garou deflecting bullets was new to the Murata redraw.

ONE does some world class framing and posing. But look at this poo poo

This poo poo is some world class framing and posing as well.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Obviously, on a fidelity level ONE just can't compare to Murata but the posing in this ONE panel is just superb.

His art ability is Saitama level in everything except from actually drawing/painting, which sounds like a monkey's paw kind of wish but he makes it work anyway because he's the greatest.

I was gonna bring that up. Seeing the two panels side-by-side makes me think of how good ONE is.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Just hope they don't pit Mumen against Garou.

Whoever wins we lose.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

graham cracker posted:

Just hope they don't pit Mumen against Garou.

Whoever wins we lose.

They did already though, it back when Garou fought tanktop master.

God that fight was years ago wasn't it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bisse posted:

Have ONE/Murata ever discussed how they produce the redraw? I'm curious if ONE has any say in the paneling for the new stuff or if he just handles the writing and that's all Murata.

Either way it certainly is good poo poo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bisse posted:

Murata's art is really great but this is kind of a weak example. Murata's isn't bad at these things no, but his strengths are in detail and flow. ONE is better at conveying more with much much less imo

my favorite murata thing he does is draw people's arms as whips and this chapter has that a lot

A Murata drawn Mob Psycho would like, kinda suck rear end imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Actually Murata is a great composer as well. He draws some loving nutso scenes, that's part of why he's so great

They're both great

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for this chapter to get added to Kissmanga so I can actually read it. Imgur just doesn't agree with me, pages kept loading and unloading as I scrolled down.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Moltrey posted:

Murata's art is really great but this is kind of a weak example. Murata's isn't bad at these things no, but his strengths are in detail and flow. ONE is better at conveying more with much much less imo

Bisse posted:

Genocyber posted:

Have ONE/Murata ever discussed how they produce the redraw? I'm curious if ONE has any say in the paneling for the new stuff or if he just handles the writing and that's all Murata.

Either way it certainly is good poo poo.

Murata showed some pictures of the roughs ONE gives him:

This is supposed to be a wolf:

There's another where it's of the tournament lady Suiryu flirts with and it basically said in the margins "make her look pretty".

Murata does give some input with dialogue, action, and design. Here's an interview on the subject:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They seem to have a crazy amount of reverence for each other.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Elentor posted:

They seem to have a crazy amount of reverence for each other.

It really shows.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I like Glasses very much. He feels like a new Licenseless Rider.

Licensed Driver

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Murata's said that there's often times when he just draws a super pretty version of the story board he's been given because in terms of framing, posing etc it's already perfect.

They're really just a dream team.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Here's a decent translation

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
That's interesting, so ONE pretty much puts the same amount of effort into storyboards meant for Murata as he does actual new One-Punch Man chapters. I think that really explains why there haven't been any updates in so long.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Moltrey posted:

genos is going to win

With Garou this wounded, all Genos has to do is not let his guard down.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mordecai posted:

With Garou this wounded, all Genos has to do is not let his guard down.

:ironicat: ^

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lmao

Seriously tho Genos why are you such a chump

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
nah it'll be fine, Genos is due for a win.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Genos couldn't win a raffle where he bought all the tickets.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Genos is just camera shy. He wins all the time, but we're not allowed to see it, just him standing on a mountain of corpses or whatever, before something comes and inevitably kicks his rear end now that we're watching him and he can't concentrate. He's going to eventually become S-1 offscreen, then job to something that attacks immediately after we watch him accept his new rank.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I am looking forward to seeing what new badass spare parts Genos will be in when he loses.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Genos role is as a jobber and straightman, but we've seen him take care of business before.

It's just that a lot of times he's with Saitaama and ends up fighting monsters that are probably insanely strong. Like that Rhino dude, Mosquito lady and the Sea King. All those monsters would have probably wrecked a lot of other S-classes as well

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I forgot just how good the anime was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwldo9P4Xy8

The anime really worked perfectly for me in a way that most other anime does not (I don't really like anime). The animation is superb in places and the action is SO GOOD, probably a lot thanks to ONE's and Muratas storyboard directions

:allears:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Zzulu posted:

The anime really worked perfectly for me in a way that most other anime does not (I don't really like anime). The animation is superb in places and the action is SO GOOD, probably a lot thanks to ONE's and Muratas storyboard directions

The sound design and music is really good as well I reckon. The gargling choking sound from Genos when he gets hit by theacid, the theme song, the various genos fight themes. Lots of little details add up.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The sound design and music is really good as well I reckon. The gargling choking sound from Genos when he gets hit by theacid, the theme song, the various genos fight themes. Lots of little details add up.

it really drives home how shockingly mundane saitama's motives are

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Now watch Mob Psycho 100 if you haven't.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

watch it even if you have

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

where the red fern gropes posted:

it really drives home how shockingly mundane saitama's motives are

I still remember people being very mad that Saitama's final punch against Boros didn't have any sort of action behind it. Like, that was the point. It's the point of the whole show.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Babe Magnet posted:

watch it even if you have

I'm watching it right now

(I'm not, but I have and also I want to be)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SpacePig posted:

I still remember people being very mad that Saitama's final punch against Boros didn't have any sort of action behind it. Like, that was the point. It's the point of the whole show.

Also it's pretty cool that Saitama punching is the closest thing in physics to a directed nuclear fusion explosion, pretty much like the relativistic baseball:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like how Saitamas punch was super far away from boros but it still gibbed him up good

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I like how Saitamas punch was super far away from boros but it still gibbed him up good

It wasn't far in relative terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just reread the chapter and drat, these Garou vs Not-Saitama heroes is some of the best poo poo I've ever read in a comic book. It's so goddamned good. It's just unreasonable. I love this drat series so much.