Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Delivery McGee posted:

I need something better than the death wheel for cutting steel tubing. Considering this Horror Fright portaband, to mostly clamp in a vise and use as a table bandsaw, but portable because ... I may need it somewhere else at some point.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit-63444.html

Aside from "never buy a thing that plugs in from there (my HF angle grinder is going strong after quite a bit of use, and gets less hot than my Makita), is there any reason I shouldn't?

Also is there anything easier to get than muriatic acid to get the zinc off a galvanized thing and/or can you just weld it with a standard painter's gas mask?

Just don't buy harbor freight angle grinder cutting discs, they contain some awful carcinogens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

xwing posted:

You're probably fine if it's a concrete slab. It's no more than a few linebackers players standing close.

Can't you look up the model of the safe? Usually it has a plate on the door that indicates it's UL rating and the model info will be close by. It looks a lot like a USPS mail safe.

None of the pictures ive been sent have safe model or UL on them, just the relocking mechanism. It would be going on a wood framed floor in a corner where the floor is strongest after I weigh it and am comfortable with it. Ill get a chance to see it in person early next week

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

iForge posted:

None of the pictures ive been sent have safe model or UL on them, just the relocking mechanism. It would be going on a wood framed floor in a corner where the floor is strongest after I weigh it and am comfortable with it. Ill get a chance to see it in person early next week

Bring along a balance scale and friends who weigh 100, 200, 400, and 800 pounds. You should be able to accurately estimate anything up to 1500 lbs.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Zahgaegun posted:

Bring along a balance scale and friends who weigh 100, 200, 400, and 800 pounds. You should be able to accurately estimate anything up to 1500 lbs.

I have a digital scale that will do up to 2500lbs so Im good on that front.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

iForge posted:

Not really a tool, but whatever. Im getting a free safe and am trying to estimate the weight. Anyone have any ideas? I have the equipment to move it, am just worried its too heavy for where I want to put it.

Where are you planning on putting it? NM didn't see your reply, corner is good. Some people talk about dropping down metal plates etc to in theory spread more of the load across more joists but probably overkill.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

iForge posted:

I have a digital scale that will do up to 2500lbs so Im good on that front.

Tell your wife I said hi.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Super 3 posted:

Where are you planning on putting it? NM didn't see your reply, corner is good. Some people talk about dropping down metal plates etc to in theory spread more of the load across more joists but probably overkill.

To spread the load across the metal plate on the bottom of the safe?

This thing looks like a fairly lightweight "true safe". In that size we're talking 1200 lbs or so.

Something that size in an RSC (residential security container - i.e sheet metal of varying gauges with drywall to handle fire protection and vaguely safe-looking stuff on the door) would be about 400 lbs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just don't buy harbor freight angle grinder cutting discs, they contain some awful carcinogens

You need P100 filters, I'm fond of the 3M mask with the two pancake filters. It'll filter out the zinc smoke.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Tres Burritos posted:

Tell your wife I said hi.

Big is beautiful ok?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Got the pump and the motor mounted today. Need to get some new pipe to plumb the pump into the receiver, but I'm almost there.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 14, 2017

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I've been eyeing that Makita deal with the two tools and batteries on Amazon. For homeowner/DIY stuff is that Makita gear significantly better than the Ryobi One+ stuff? I'm definitely after a drill and circular saw, maybe other tools if the price is right.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zahgaegun posted:

I have a Kreg Rip-Cut and I love it, if that's the one you're asking about. Worth the $40.

I mean the Accu-Cut™

I had a friend with something similar; turns out its a tru trac and can go up to 11 feet or so.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Awww, look at the cute little chainsaw that Bosch is making:

https://www.bosch-do-it.com/gb/en/diy/tools/easycut-12-3165140830843-2577102.jsp

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

I'm .. confused as to what problem(s) this solves that a sawzall doesn't

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

Maybe something that’s able to move a bit? Sometimes the sawzall just grabs the thing and shakes the everloving poo poo out of it...

coathat
May 21, 2007

They accidentally made a bunch of tiny chainsaw chains.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The corded version is marketed as a jigsaw replacement, since you don't have to drill the corners to cut something out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sniep posted:

Texas Chainsaw Manicure

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The corded version is marketed as a jigsaw replacement, since you don't have to drill the corners to cut something out.

You can plunge-cut with a jigsaw.

AvE's got a video on it, it'll be public next week, I threw $2 at him and got it now.

uwaeve posted:

Maybe something that’s able to move a bit? Sometimes the sawzall just grabs the thing and shakes the everloving poo poo out of it...

And yeah, that. I'm waffling on buying a portaband to clamp in a vise and use as a tabletop bandsaw (but if I need to cut the exhaust off a car, I could), and I really should buy it today since HF has a sale on, but I also need the tiny chainsaw, because ... tiny chainsaw! :3: I have a tree that needs pruning, this'd be perfect for it -- sure I could use the cordless Sawzall, but it'd shake the poo poo out of it, or fire up the real chainsaw, but :effort: for lopping off a branch smaller than my finger.

canyoneer posted:

Texas Chainsaw Manicure
:golfclap:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

Texas Chainsaw Manicure

:vince:

pbpancho posted:

I've been eyeing that Makita deal with the two tools and batteries on Amazon. For homeowner/DIY stuff is that Makita gear significantly better than the Ryobi One+ stuff? I'm definitely after a drill and circular saw, maybe other tools if the price is right.

That's a kickass deal! I mean, Ryobi would probably be fine for most stuff, but the Makita cordless tools are just a joy to use, and will definitely handle anything you throw its way. You can have confidence that you'll be able to run a 4" holesaw or rip poo poo with the cordless circular saw. You can also feel confident about the whole ecosystem of tools you can expand into, as well as the fact that the battery terminals aren't likely to change anytime soon, obsoleting your tools.

My workplace has a Ryobi drill, and I hate using it. It barely works, the batteries suck, and anytime I need to do anything more than sinking screws (like running a hole saw), I just bring my makita from home.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Delivery McGee posted:

You can plunge-cut with a jigsaw.
If it's anything like a real chainsaw though, you really shouldn't.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sniep posted:

It's got a table, so I reckon you can use it as a beam cutter or a post topper and get a far cleaner cut. Looks a bit scary though, to me.

coathat
May 21, 2007

moron izzard posted:

I mean the Accu-Cut™

I had a friend with something similar; turns out its a tru trac and can go up to 11 feet or so.

It works with the same shoe as the rip-cut so you don't have to mess around with taking that off when you use it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

but :effort: for lopping off a branch smaller than my finger.

...just grab it and rip it off the tree? :confused:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...just grab it and rip it off the tree? :confused:

That's what pole saws are for.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Slugworth posted:

If it's anything like a real chainsaw though, you really shouldn't.

Why not? I plunge cut with chainsaws fairly often...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

pbpancho posted:

Significantly? No.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's got a table, so I reckon you can use it as a beam cutter or a post topper and get a far cleaner cut. Looks a bit scary though, to me.

Might be a good mini-mortising tool, if the replacement bar/chains aren't crazy expensive. I'm imagining sharpening those cutters with a tiny, tiny file...

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

canyoneer posted:

Texas Chainsaw Manicure

:perfect:

The adorable little chains are the most hilarious thing to me. I wonder how much those things are a pop versus the stock of recip saw, jigsaw, cutting wheels, and oscillating blades I already have.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can't find them in any US stores online, but looking at Amazon Germany, €20-25 per blade.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
The cordless version looks like a dangerous and slow cutting toy: https://youtu.be/dehTF6wg27k

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stealie72 posted:

Why not? I plunge cut with chainsaws fairly often...

I'm not a professional, but every chainsaw safety thing I've ever seen says it's a no-no. Even professionals seem to generally regard plunge cuts as one of those bad ideas you sometimes just need to do.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

I'm not a professional, but every chainsaw safety thing I've ever seen says it's a no-no. Even professionals seem to generally regard plunge cuts as one of those bad ideas you sometimes just need to do.

As long as you only cut with the bottom third or so of the tip, it's not significantly more dangerous than any other chainsaw operation. It's only really bad if you use the very end or top section of the tip. That's what causes kickback. Typically you don't plunge the bar straight in, you rock it in from the bottom.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

jailbait#3 posted:

Might be a good mini-mortising tool, if the replacement bar/chains aren't crazy expensive. I'm imagining sharpening those cutters with a tiny, tiny file...

Yeah, if someone had a post & beam job like 200 years ago when America still had hardwood rainforests that were the envy of the world, and that saw had a correctly angled plunge base (it doesn't) like the other comments in the thread, it would be a little badass mortiser for like 4" x 6" mortise cuts. To me, it's a preposterous and dangerous little toy with little practical use.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

To me, it's a...little toy with little practical use.

Obviously you haven't considered the possibility of mounting it on the end of an assault rifle, as the founding fathers intended.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bad Munki posted:

Obviously you haven't considered the possibility of mounting it on the end of an assault rifle, as the founding fathers intended.

For the Emperor!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I saw this on reddit and found it somewhat interesting.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

I saw this on reddit and found it somewhat interesting.

poo poo, a couple of years ago, you could have put Craftsman at the very center of that regarding where their stuff really came from.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Does anyone have a recommendation for cheap particulate filters in Ontario, Canada?

I have a 3M 7502 Respirator and have been buying the 3M P100 Particulate Filters off amazon. But they aren't very cheap, and so I find myself using a cartridge for far longer than I should be.