Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

electric razors? Yay or nay?

I hate that dry shaved feeling. Irritated me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nah.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have a nice Phillips one and it's still trash. Mach 3 for life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird food bathtub posted:

You're not really old until bed time starts to involve routines like "nope, can't even drink water for a few hours, I'll have to pee. Better not have that spaghetti, too acidic. Where's my glasses? Can't see poo poo without them"

gently caress.

Edit: Get out, stop shaving.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

I bought a fancy $200 one and it caused a massive amount of ingrown hairs that ended up scarring my face. 3/5 stars.

I switched to safety razors and have been fairly happy so far. I still get irritation and a few ingrown hairs, but at this point I'm resigned to suffering for my thick & curlies.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Big Mouth on Netflix is incredibly good. I wrote it off based on the description, but Nick Kroll absolutely kills it. It's about a kid going through puberty who is haunted by the Hormone Monster, a foul-mouthed, yellow-skinned manifestation of all his new urges.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

I've used Braun electrics forever and they work great for me. Panasonic isn't bad either.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Electric razors never gave me a very close shave. I haven't been clean shaven in over a year, but before that I always used a safety razor (I still use it to shave my neck beard each week).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I don't mind not getting a super close shave. A good electric can get really close but it takes some time and multiple passes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
safety razors to make the neck beard go away

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I have a nice Phillips one and it's still trash. Mach 3 for life.
Enjoy your overpriced refills.

even dollar shave club is overpriced

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mad Dragon posted:

Enjoy your overpriced refills.

even dollar shave club is overpriced

Dont care, poo poo works.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
NoVa goons:

The area I live in costs me about $1300/mo before taking any type of fun into account (rent + utilities + internet, basically). The apartment I am in is too big for me (3br/2.5ba) so I could potentially lower that by ~$250-300/mo and still live in a really nice place. A 3br/3.5ba 3000sqft house is listed at $325k.

With that type of stuff in mind (and if you need more info about costs here let me know), would a job in the DC/NoVa area that offers $10-15k more in base salary than a job here be enough to offset the cost of living increase? I expect not, but wanted to hear what you think.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 15, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

NoVa goons:

The area I live in costs me about $1300/mo before taking any type of fun into account (rent + utilities + internet, basically). The apartment I am in is too big for me (3br/2.5ba) so I could potentially lower that by ~$250-300/mo and still live in a really nice place. A 3br/3.5ba 3000sqft house is listed at $325k.

With that type of stuff in mind (and if you need more info about costs here let me know), would a job in the DC/NoVa area that offers $10-15k more in base salary than a job here be enough to offset the cost of living increase? I expect not, but wanted to hear what you think.

No. A 3br/3.5ba house within reasonable commuting range of most places in DC/NoVA will cost around $700-800k. A 1BR apartment will set you back between $1500-2200/mo depending upon where you live.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
DC job + low rent = 90 minute drive, one way.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you want to work in the immediate DC area (meaning no further west than say, Centreville, no further south than Springfield/Lorton, no further North than Rockville/Bethesda/Silver Spring) then you're probably not going to be buying property in the immediate future.

In the Fall's Church area a metro connected apartment is around 1800 for a 1BR.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Went to see Marshall today and it was good. What was not good was something I see in the previews: a movie literally called Thank You For Your Service". Looks like two hours of cringe about PTSD. Almost laughed out loud at this line: "Two ARCOMs and an AAM, very impressive!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

McNally posted:

DC job + low rent = 90 minute drive, one way.

Might as well live in Charlottesville at that point

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I only have one pair of shoes that I can wear in bad weather, so I bought a pair of canvas boots and waterproofed them with wax. My wife made fun of me because until I had melted the wax into the fabric they looked like they were covered in cum.

Also yeah thank you for your service looks dumb as hell. The youtube comments for the trailer are unintentionally funny

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I only have one pair of shoes that I can wear in bad weather, so I bought a pair of canvas boots and waterproofed them with wax. My wife made fun of me because until I had melted the wax into the fabric they looked like they were covered in cum.

Also yeah thank you for your service looks dumb as hell. The youtube comments for the trailer are unintentionally funny

With such films as War Machine, Sand Castle, and now this movie that focus on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, I've noticed a disturbing rise in anti-serviceman and anti-servicewoman rhetoric that mirrors that of the feelings that were prominent during the Vietnam War. We need to fix this way of thinking and remember that even though you may not agree with our presence in the Middle East, that is not their fault. They are sacrificing not just their lives, but more commonly their minds for a country that should pay them respect for their deeds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I think the biggest difference was that Vietnam had a lot of drafted people compared to our all reserve force now who mostly knew what they were signing up for.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I think the biggest difference was that Vietnam had a lot of drafted people compared to our all reserve force now who mostly knew what they were signing up for.

Another difference is that while whether or not we should be in afghanistan is up for debate either way the taliban deserve death.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Went to see Marshall today and it was good. What was not good was something I see in the previews: a movie literally called Thank You For Your Service". Looks like two hours of cringe about PTSD. Almost laughed out loud at this line: "Two ARCOMs and an AAM, very impressive!"

I saw that preview, I laughed loudly and everyone stared at me. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Also "Noone told me you were a war hero"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

With such films as War Machine, Sand Castle, and now this movie that focus on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, I've noticed a disturbing rise in anti-serviceman and anti-servicewoman rhetoric that mirrors that of the feelings that were prominent during the Vietnam War. We need to fix this way of thinking and remember that even though you may not agree with our presence in the Middle East, that is not their fault. They are sacrificing not just their lives, but more commonly their minds for a country that should pay them respect for their deeds.

I think its more a lot of ex servicemembers are jaded as gently caress because we're 16 years into what is looking like a neverending war, and beyond some token grumbling at home, no-one seems too focused on wanting to end said war. We're approaching the point where next year, there will be privates who were born after the loving war started. All of this for what? The middle east is still a bloody, hot shithole, Iraq arguably is in much worse shape than it was in 2003, Afghanistan is returning to the status quo where the Taliban are going to be running poo poo again, and all we got for it was a bunch of dead soldiers, a serious loss of international credibility, and a massive drain of money.

So basically we're batting exactly average for our ability to prosecute wars post WW2.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I think it's an overcorrection from years of troop worship. Either way, War Machine is a spot-on depiction of how general officers and their staff function and act.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
That was a direct copy from YouTube comments just FYI.

Saying troops didn't know any better about going to Iraq and Afghanistan should've been a clue since that hasn't been true since like 2004 probably.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Saying troops didn't know any better about going to Iraq and Afghanistan should've been a clue since that hasn't been true since like 2004 probably.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I'm not going to hold a 17/18 year old even a tiny bit responsible for getting suckered by a recruiter and/or buying into years of RAH-RAH SUPPORT OUR TROOPS propaganda from every corner of the culture in huge swathes of the country. We were all that stupid once. e: I was 15 in 2005 when Cindy Sheehan set up camp outside W.'s ranch, everyone around me said she was "dishonoring her son's sacrifice" or at best "crazed by grief," and I 100% believed them.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah but at this point anyone with a clue should stop glorifying what is little more than 16 years of revenge killings and dick waving

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

If it's based on the book of the same title, it's going to be a depressing, pointless shitfest of broken veteran stories. The book didn't have much of a purpose other than showcasing some vets and their families and how hosed up everything was.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Everyone who said the new Blade Runner was good was so right. Never have I been happier with a totally unnecessary sequel. I was delighted by the dynamic between K and Joi, and if the visual effects don't get an Oscar, it'll be a loving robbery. Definitely worth seeing in the theater with the best sound system you can find.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I saw the original Matrix for the first time in probably ten years. It's 100% an artifact of the 1990s, but goddamn it aged well.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Everyone who said the new Blade Runner was good was so right. Never have I been happier with a totally unnecessary sequel. I was delighted by the dynamic between K and Joi, and if the visual effects don't get an Oscar, it'll be a loving robbery. Definitely worth seeing in the theater with the best sound system you can find.

Harrison Ford still remembers how to act. That was cool.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Blade Runner is consistently one of the few things that Harrison Ford actually gives a poo poo about and I'm totally okay with that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm rewatching the Geoff episode of Top Gear and it's just as hysterical today as it was 6 years ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They really did come up with the perfect electric car. Three men and a bunch of hammers produced a vehicle with infinite range. Eat that, Elon.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got back from seeing Blade Runner. Like everyone else said - the visuals were absolutely gorgeous. I really loved the nuanced application of CGI were it was warranted. Even in the fully-CG scenes, the scenes were shot in such a way that it didn't immediately scream "CG" at me. The movie also did a very good job of adapting the visual aesthetic of the first film without being too derivative.

Also, was I the only one that absolutely loved Jared Leto's performance? His weird speaking cadence and eerie mannerisms were just perfect.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out how they did the scene where Joi and Mariette merge, move through each other, and overlap.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Also, was I the only one that absolutely loved Jared Leto's performance? His weird speaking cadence and eerie mannerisms were just perfect.

Yeah, but he's apparently a big ole creeper weirdo IRL, so he wasn't exactly stretching himself.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 16, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The soundtrack was perfect too. It was amazing and totally worth going to see it in theater.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but he's apparently a big ole creeper weirdo IRL, so he wasn't exactly stretching himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

whoa I didn't know Jared Leto was friends with Spock.

• Locked thread