Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He's playing a bunch of young players who are all presumably "his" guys. But, I wonder a lot of time in those situations if those guys are playing because they actually are better, or if they are just playing because they are his guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

I don't have a ton of faith in the hire but it's way too early to judge Lovie. The cupboard was completley bare and last year was basically a throwaway. He got hired late in the process and didn't have any time to recruit, so the freshman class was whatever a lame duck Cubit managed to cobble together after the Beckman disaster. This is his first actual class and they've started 13 true freshman already, including 4 on the offensive line and I think 3 on the DL

I can judge Lovie -- he's done. Looked washed up in his last years with the Bears, looked washed up with the Bucs, looks washed up now. There's a reason he was available when Illinois had to "settle" for someone, because no NFL team was giving him a look again. He's not a long-term solution, certainly not a short-term solution, and nothing will come of his tenure other than Illinois having to start over yet again when he's gone in 1-2 years.

It was a horrible hire from the start and I can't believe people are still trying to justify it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

jim bob cooter imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

I can judge Lovie -- he's done. Looked washed up in his last years with the Bears, looked washed up with the Bucs, looks washed up now. There's a reason he was available when Illinois had to "settle" for someone, because no NFL team was giving him a look again. He's not a long-term solution, certainly not a short-term solution, and nothing will come of his tenure other than Illinois having to start over yet again when he's gone in 1-2 years.

It was a horrible hire from the start and I can't believe people are still trying to justify it.

I literally said i didn't like the hire in the post you are quoting, you dork. That doesn't change that he walked into about as bad a situation as any coach could walk into. Trying to fire him in year 2 doesn't really solve anything. If he still sucks in a year or two when he's actually had more than one real recruiting class then sure. It's not like they're losing that much, they were already basically at rock bottom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blue Raider posted:

jim bob cooter imo

His name alone would be a fantastic asset for recruiting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what the gently caress is happening at Maryland :psyduck:

quote:

AD Kevin Anderson has been placed on administrative leave through August 2018, as first reported by Bobby Blanco of MASN. Maryland insists Anderson is still on staff as AD. Anderson has reportedly been on leave since Oct. 1 as Maryland president Wallace Loh is upset Anderson pursued the open AD job at Cal. Update: A Maryland spokesman told ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg that Anderson is not on leave and will not be fired although “there could be an update on the situation later this week.”

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I woke up to like 40 new posts in this thread and got excited.

gently caress you guys

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Maybe big time college athletics is different, but it seems weird to suspend or fire someone for applying to a different job.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Loh is the genius behind the Maryland-to-Big10 move so take that for what it's worth

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So here's a thing from the Omaha World Herald. Obviously Riley's fate depends on this hire, unless the university president wants to fire him now and let Bob Diaco take over going into a bye week, gently caress if I know anymore.

quote:

LINCOLN — Look for Nebraska to introduce a new athletic director this week.

It’s not official, but three sources with ties to NU’s administration Saturday indicated interviews took place late last week and that a decision is either imminent or already made. Other sources told The World-Herald that Interim A.D. Dave Rimington mentioned to friends his time in North Stadium is down to a few days.

As for who succeeds Shawn Eichorst, fired Sept. 21, the guessing game continues. Nebraska President Hank Bounds and Turnkey Search have kept the legitimate information flow to a trickle, at best.

Multiple calls to current and retired athletic directors and to revenue-sport head coaches active in the college grapevine revealed two general themes about the search:

» Nebraska wants a sitting Power Five A.D.

» The Huskers are willing to pay handsomely to hire one.

The salary isn’t a surprise considering Eichorst, who came to Lincoln from Miami five years ago with only 1½ years of experience running a program, stunningly was hired at $973,000 — and was scheduled in 2017-18 to rake in $1.1 million. Those figures were both top-five national salaries.

Any list of possible candidates is largely semi-educated speculation.

So I posed the following question to the A.D.s and coaches contacted: “If you were Nebraska — with its tradition, resources and need to reboot football — who best fits the job?’’

Four names came up regularly:

» Jeff Long, Arkansas: Long has football chops and Big Ten ties. The 57-year-old is an Ohio native, played quarterback in college at Ohio Wesleyan and coached at Miami of Ohio, Duke and Michigan before entering athletics administration.

Michigan legend Bo Schembechler hired Long, who spent 10 years with the Wolverines as an assistant/associate A.D. He eventually had stops at Virginia Tech, Eastern Kentucky and Oklahoma before replacing Steve Pederson at Pittsburgh in 2003. Long then replaced Frank Broyles at Arkansas in 2008.

Why would Long fit? He knows the Big Ten, he’s a football guy — he was the first chairman of the College Football Playoff committee — and after nine years at Arkansas, he might be ready for one more move.

» Rob Mullens, Oregon: The 47-year-old West Virginia native and two-time graduate of WVU has an academic background in accounting and auditing. But he rose quickly in athletic administration with stops at Miami (Florida), Maryland and Kentucky before getting hired at Oregon in 2010.

Mullens’ tenure has been labeled “Decade of the Duck’’ for the widespread success of Oregon athletic teams, capped by finishing a school-best No. 9 nationally in the Director’s Cup all-sports standings. OU has appeared in the College Football Playoff, the men’s basketball Final Four, the volleyball national title match and the Women’s College World Series. He is on the CFP committee.

Why would Mullens fit? The overall success of the Ducks would be attractive to Nebraska administrators, who say they want to win championships across the board. Mullens also is well acquainted with Scott Frost, current Central Florida head coach and former Oregon offensive coordinator. That should please the group that wants Frost to return to NU.

» Jamie Pollard, Iowa State: Here is another guy who knows the Big Ten, despite spending the past 13 years in the Big 12. Pollard, 52, grew up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and was a champion distance runner at UW-Oshkosh. He worked in athletic administration at Saint Louis, Maryland and Wisconsin before signing on at ISU.

Pollard has national respect among his peers as someone who does a lot with fewer resources than many have. He has tripled athletic department revenues during his term, expanded the football stadium, got fans to fill the seats and has made some splash coaching hires, such as Fred Hoiberg in men’s basketball.

Why would Pollard fit? He has strong familiarity with Nebraska and the Big Ten. Also, at his age and number of years at Iowa State, this might be prime time to take another position.

» Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech: The Texas native and former All-Big Eight linebacker at Kansas State in the mid-1990s got into athletic administration right out of college. He had stops at Kansas State, the NCAA and Oklahoma before becoming the A.D. at Ohio University at age 33.

Hocutt soon left for Miami (Florida). He was replaced by Eichorst when Hocutt headed for Texas Tech in 2011. Hocutt is the Big 12 representative on the CFP committee.

Why would Hocutt fit? He’s a football guy and has great awareness of what Nebraska’s program means.

During interviews, three other names were regularly mentioned, though with qualifiers:

» Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky: The 58-year-old native of Kansas City, Kansas, has been at Kentucky for 15 years. The Wildcats are known for basketball, but Barnhart has built the program into a regular Top 10 contender in the Director’s Cup. But dislodging Barnhart from his current post is considered unlikely.

» Danny White, Central Florida: White, 37, is considered a rising star in the business, with a strong pedigree. His father is A.D. at Duke, one brother is an associate A.D. at Missouri and another brother is the basketball coach at Florida. He also is Scott Frost’s boss. But he likely isn’t quite experienced enough yet for this job.

» Chris Del Conte, TCU: In his ninth year with the Frogs, Del Conte ushered the school into the Big 12 and has upgraded nearly every facility while seeing the competitive success of TCU rise across the board. His talent is obvious, but again is considered a difficult-to-dislodge candidate.

The other question I posed was whether Nebraska needs to hire someone with direct Nebraska connections.

One longtime friend in athletics said the hire doesn’t need to be a Nebraskan, but must have a sense of what Husker football means to the state’s 1.9 million occupants.

“That program belongs to the people of Nebraska,’’ that A.D. said. “And the people there want football that reflects who they are and how they live their lives — hard-working, straight-forward and no nonsense.’’

In other words, act like you’ve been coached-up and play like you care. That’s always been the standard at Nebraska.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*standard may not have applied since the 90s

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't know if I'd like a Scott Frost hire. But this is likely to be the only year he's gonna be easy to pry away (I am sure he's not gonna be at UCF for long), so gently caress it.

Not sure there's a better candidate out there--Joe Moorhead, maybe? I'd say Ken Niumatalolo should get a look but there's no way they hire a dude that runs the flexbone in 2017, no matter how good an idea it might be.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Had a discussion with some friends: What if Scott Frost had no Nebraska connections, and UCF loses 0-2 games this season. Would you think it was a good hire?

I think I'd say yes.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Whoever Nebraska gets had better be a top-tier recruiter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Disagree. It'd be nice but it shouldn't be the top priority. There's gonna be a cap to how well they can recruit there regardless of who it is unless it's, like, Urban Meyer or something. They're far from any of the really talent rich states and no one in high school now remembers them as a super power. They need someone who is either really good/different tactically or someone in the Ferentz/Alvarez mold who can develop/scout like a motherfucker to get the most of the underrecruited talent in the area

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

Nebraska isn't going to consistently pull in top 15 recruiting classes regardless of who's there; they're going to need to develop a unique offensive identity to try to mitigate the talent gap between them and the Ohio State's of the world.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Disagree. It'd be nice but it shouldn't be the top priority. There's gonna be a cap to how well they can recruit there regardless of who it is unless it's, like, Urban Meyer or something. They're far from any of the really talent rich states and no one in high school now remembers them as a super power. They need someone who is either really good/different tactically or someone in the Ferentz/Alvarez mold who can develop/scout like a motherfucker to get the most of the underrecruited talent in the area

Dingdingding. (although Callahan did reel in a top 5 class in 2005 :v: )

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
And here it is

https://twitter.com/huskerextra/status/919632888341114881

Had been at Wazzu since 2010; was at Oregon from 1995 to 2007. Anyone want to tell me how I should think about this

E: From Wiki

quote:

Moos left Oregon in 2007 after a dispute with Nike founder Phil Knight, who was a big donor to the Oregon Athletics program.[2] He had signed an agreement which pays him $200,000 a year for not taking an administrative position at a BCS conference university west of the Mississippi River. During his hiatus between 2007 and 2010, Moos took to raising beef at his Valleyford, Washington ranch. The exact reasons for his resignation are unknown, but the dispute with Knight regarding funding for an arena to replace the aging McArthur Court "strained a bit toward the end." After Moos resigned, Knight donated $100 million towards the building of a new arena for Oregon.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Real Name Grover posted:

And here it is

Anyone want to tell me how I should think about this

Snap judgement is a guy named Moos will know the farming community well

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

And here it is

Had been at Wazzu since 2010; was at Oregon from 1995 to 2007. Anyone want to tell me how I should think about this

E: From Wiki
He hired Mike Leach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Dingdingding. (although Callahan did reel in a top 5 class in 2005 :v: )

They were only 4 years removed from being in the title game then! Also Kirk goddamn Ferentz had a top ten class that year, 2005 was loving weird

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Moos is a solid AD. That's a good hire for Nebraska

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hot take for Nebraska: just hire Mike Leach. You gotta be able to outbid Wazzu, right?

Real Name Grover posted:

So here's a thing from the Omaha World Herald. Obviously Riley's fate depends on this hire, unless the university president wants to fire him now and let Bob Diaco take over going into a bye week, gently caress if I know anymore.

Let me tell ya, as a fan of a team that witnessed Diaco's coaching magic up front, this is a bad idea.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

Moos is a solid AD. That's a good hire for Nebraska

It is. However, anyone thinking that Moos is going to be a gateway for Mike Leach coming to Nebraska needs to think otherwise. I don't believe that Leach is going to want to put up with the political bullshit that would come with coaching a program like Nebraska, plus he's got the run of the place up at Wazzu. Whoever Wazzu hires to replace Moos is going to do so with the understanding that Leach isn't going anywhere unless he really wants to and I don't think that Leach does, and unless he's gonna lock any more of Craig James' kids in closets you can't fire him.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nebraska fans would haaaaatteeee Leach. No way that happens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Leach and Nebraska would be a hilariously bad fit

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska fans would loving riot if they hired Leach.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Real Name Grover posted:

And here it is

He was extremely good at Oregon and seemingly very good at Wazzu. Good with donors and normals. It's probably a very good hire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

Yeah Leach and Nebraska would be a hilariously bad fit

You say that until you look out over the horizon in Nebraska and see black masts in the sky, despite no water being anywhere near by.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

MourningView posted:

so chip kelly to nebraska confirmed wishbone spread hybrid is coming

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Iowa has a good, stable program, but I thought that Nebraska fancied itself as a blueblood. If they were okay with endless 8- or 9-win seasons they'd have kept Solich and, later, Pelini. I figure they need someone who can fly away from the cornfields and poach some 4-star recruits. I'm not saying they will achieve this.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

Iowa has a good, stable program, but I thought that Nebraska fancied itself as a blueblood. If they were okay with endless 8- or 9-win seasons they'd have kept Solich and, later, Pelini. I figure they need someone who can fly away from the cornfields and poach some 4-star recruits. I'm not saying they will achieve this.
Nebraska's facilities and support are top-notch, some of the best in the country. Recruiting to Nebraska is hard, but it's not insanely difficult: Riley's put together top-25 classes, and so did Pelini (Riley is definitely a better recruiter, though). Kids might not remember Nebraska, but it isn't like Nebraska is impossible to recruit to: they recruit better than anyone else in the Big Ten West, by a good margin. What Nebraska needs is someone that'll actually take advantage of the talent. Winning the Big Ten West regularly shouldn't be out of the question, and what's probably more important to Nebraska fans is not being embarrassed. Bo would've probably stuck around if he hadn't made a habit of losing to Wisconsin in increasingly embarrassing ways (though his abrasive personality was clearly part of it).

Nebraska will probably never return to its former prominence, but I suspect most Nebraskans--at least from my experience--have made their peace with that. 9-10 win seasons with a breakthrough now and again would be fine.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Butch gets thunderfucked by Bama, canned, and then the Vols hire *puts on tinfoil hat* that’s right Jon Gruden baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

I mean they can fancy themselves whatever they want but Iowa's finished the season in the Top 10 5 times since the last time Nebraska did it. At some point they should probably accept that they aren't going to be OSU.

Bo didn't solely get fired for his record, it was as much him being an rear end in a top hat and huge embarrassment to the program off the field as much as anything. And if you've kept up with him recently it was probably a good call (not that looking the other way toward violence against women would be out of character for Nebraska's football history)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DJExile posted:

Anderson routinely ignores donors and alumni, doesn't bother to attend even bowl games/tournament games most of the time (insert Maryland bowl games joke here), works like a 20 hour week and makes the deputy AD do 75% of the work, and rumor has it is drunk most of the time when he actually does do anything. But because this is Maryland and they're allergic to doing anything right, they don't bother firing him but instead put him on some form of paid leave for a year.

Disclaimer: I am a Maryland basketball fan, not an alumni, this is just all stuff I've heard from other people.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In general, I think most Nebraska fans' expectations are to play in the Big Ten Championship game on a regular basis, make a New Year's Six bowl once every few years, and almost never drop out of the top 25. The nature of the losses is important too, Nebraska fans will tolerate losing by a field goal but the blowouts have got to stop.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Simplex posted:

He's playing a bunch of young players who are all presumably "his" guys. But, I wonder a lot of time in those situations if those guys are playing because they actually are better, or if they are just playing because they are his guys.

There are cases like Rutgers where 90% of the players the old regime recruited are garbage. But it doesn't seem like he's recruiting that well?

Like I would bet millions of dollars on Lovie failing at Illinois, beyond just that most people do.

DJExile posted:

They've been a complete dumpster fire for years. Their AD is deep in debt because of spending on basketball facilities after they won the national title 15 years ago. Their football program has been bad for decade since Fridge left, and even then it wasn't that good late in his tenure.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember Maryland getting smoked by FSU the last year they were in the ACC? :yaycloud:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Maryland will always have a problem because its in College Park and nothing they do will ever change that. You're not building consistent success for college sports in the DC suburbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Nebraska can have Jeff Long and I'll throw in a free football coach, too.

• Locked thread