Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
I Hate Everything was suspended from Twitter (now restored), for what is-- as one expects these days-- the stupidest goddamn reason possible. And it was resolved-- as one expects these days-- by sheer luck and with little to no help from Twitter themselves.

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAD0NrJIEPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Alaois posted:

you're yelling at the hot dog man

Meh, mostly posting for anyone else reading the thread who reads the trolls and not the facts.

Hotdog man can go hot his own dog.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

lornekates posted:

To clarify, Ross' point is (and always has been) that killing ANY game is bad.

I know, I just find it pretty stupid when all his examples are relatively unpopular games that came and went without a blip on the radar. Like, mourning the loss of Battleforge, for god's sake? It was a card-based RTS that had servers for four years. Maybe if Ross covered a game whose server loss was significant, it'd be one thing, but it's generally not the case. It all comes back to "... oh, that was a game that existed? okay, how long are you going to complain we can't play it, surely just a few - oh good lord."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

I know, I just find it pretty stupid when all his examples are relatively unpopular games that came and went without a blip on the radar.

But it's a problem that affects popular games, too. World of Warcraft has this exact same issue, where you can't play earlier versions of the game anymore, even when people did go to the effort of reverse-engineering their own private servers to host older versions of the game, they were shut down by Blizzard. You wanna play the WoW you loved from 2007? Not on Blizzard's watch.

And then there's consoles, where people played Halo 2 for days after the shutdown was supposed to happen in the hopes of keeping it alive. Nowadays if you have an Xbox and want to play online, tough luck, doesn't matter how many millions of copies a game sold or how popular it's multiplayer was, you can't play it now. Nevermind online features for consoles even older than that.

And naturally this problem is also gonna hit last-gen consoles eventually, as well. How long are PS3/360 games going to be kept online? And even discounting multiplayer, what about patches? If you buy a used game after the servers are shutdown, are you just buying a coaster that will crash after trying to launch it because it can't download the patch that makes it work?

I remember a period of time where not every PC game was on GoG or Steam, and it was a real nightmare trying to find patches for more obscure games. I can't imagine how much worse it'll be when it happens to consoles.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You're proving your own argument wrong, though, because even with formerly popular games, there's no reason to keep the older stuff around.

World Of Warcraft? No, you don't actually want servers with earlier versions on it. You think you do, because you've forgotten all the poo poo like weapon skills, only one class being allowed to tank, grinding mobs to level being optimal, and a whole bunch of other poo poo. Which is why Blizzard won't do it (because it won't retain players and get shut down), and you won't commit to a pirated server that you know will be shut down.

You can totally play Halo in multiplayer right now. Just play the one everyone has moved on to. Yeah, it'll happen to current-gen consoles too, when everyone has moved on current+1. Things get obsoleted.

I too remember the time when games weren't on Steam or GoG. If you couldn't find it, you just shrugged and moved on to something else. Kinda like with, you know, Battleforge.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please don’t argue with misterbibs, you are just encouraging him to post more dumb poo poo

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But it's a problem that affects popular games, too. World of Warcraft has this exact same issue, where you can't play earlier versions of the game anymore, even when people did go to the effort of reverse-engineering their own private servers to host older versions of the game, they were shut down by Blizzard. You wanna play the WoW you loved from 2007? Not on Blizzard's watch.

I’ve had that happen to me twice, with City of Heroes and Shin Megami Tensei Online, and it sucks. At least the latter case I can maybe understand because it was kind of unpopular, but CoH still had a thriving community at the time of its demise. The publisher basically just told them “gently caress you and your money” and killed it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

The publisher basically just told them “gently caress you and your money” and killed it.

It was actually a licensing issue with CoH. Cryptic owned a lot of the game rights (including the rights to the pnp system CoH was roughly based on) even after selling to NCSoft and either wanted too much money or wanted CoH dead to boost their own Champions Online.

I still miss it too. Only MMO I could really get into.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MisterBibs posted:

World Of Warcraft? No, you don't actually want servers with earlier versions on it. You think you do

Surely this time Blizz's super dumb and laughed at by practically everyone remark will work, despite vanilla, TBC and Wrath servers still booming any time someone gets one going. God you're so loving dumb.

Also yeah if any of the killed off games really deserve to be back it's CoH, it going out how it did was pure bullshit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

You're proving your own argument wrong, though, because even with formerly popular games, there's no reason to keep the older stuff around.

World Of Warcraft? No, you don't actually want servers with earlier versions on it. You think you do, because you've forgotten all the poo poo like weapon skills, only one class being allowed to tank, grinding mobs to level being optimal, and a whole bunch of other poo poo. Which is why Blizzard won't do it (because it won't retain players and get shut down), and you won't commit to a pirated server that you know will be shut down.

You can totally play Halo in multiplayer right now. Just play the one everyone has moved on to. Yeah, it'll happen to current-gen consoles too, when everyone has moved on current+1. Things get obsoleted.

I too remember the time when games weren't on Steam or GoG. If you couldn't find it, you just shrugged and moved on to something else. Kinda like with, you know, Battleforge.

"No, you don't actually want to play this game that you want to play."

Great argument.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Surely this time Blizz's super dumb and laughed at by practically everyone remark will work, despite vanilla, TBC and Wrath servers still booming any time someone gets one going.

According to someone six months ago, even the most popular private server had a mere 37,000 accounts, with most far less. Another article on the topic has private servers advertising that they have active player numbers in the thousands.

Booming, they are not. Examples that players want to play obsolete versions of WoW, they are most definitely not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mister Bibs, you are horribly incorrect.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Why are you driving a 2017 Lamborghini? The 2018 models have just launched. It's time to upgrade man, stop being stuck in the past and demanding we service your old, broken car. The parts aren't even in production anymore. The people have moved on.

MisterBibs posted:

According to someone six months ago, even the most popular private server had a mere 37,000 accounts, with most far less. Another article on the topic has private servers advertising that they have active player numbers in the thousands.

Booming, they are not. Examples that players want to play obsolete versions of WoW, they are most definitely not.

... how the gently caress is the population of a small city not a thriving community?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yardbomb posted:

Nobody said they never talked like that, it was more that LiS kept pulling out really weirdly dated phrases.

Yeah, because those weirdly dated phrases were (and some still are) popular again.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Blizzard's dumb excuse is half-right. Very few people actually want to go back to Vanilla/BC questing and leveling. When Cata came out, Outland was the treacherous water that sank a lot of returning accounts. After playing 60 levels of quests and actual game design, going back to "bump and grind on 20 boar asses" caused a lot of players to say "oh yeah, I forgot MMOs suck." and quit. This is part of why many private servers double your xp gain or more.

However, leveling isn't where the actual game is and isn't why anybody wants throwback servers. Leveling is the combination tutuorial and admission fee for an MMO before you get to play the real game. They want it for the raids that have been long since abandoned and aren't relevant to play anymore, PvP areas (for the properly oldschool this means Tarren Mill), and world events. Or simply because the map and mechanics have been drastically changed and they want to go back to the game they originally bought a million years ago.

I get why Blizzard isn't interesting in supporting them. WoW Nostalgists are a fractious and sectarian lot who are constantly arguing over which patch/expansion is when "real" WoW ended and became the dumb trash game for babby casuls that millions know and love today. Officially supported servers would be a breeding ground for more heresies like "is it okay to balance the fact that certain specs are hot garbage as long as major features aren't altered?" or "how should we handle the Gates of AQ?"

A set of small private serves catering to everybody's taste that only get slapped down if they fly too close to the sun is probably the best arrangement we can hope for. It's not a good arrangement, but it's probably the best we can achieve.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 15, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

watho posted:

Yeah, because those weirdly dated phrases were (and some still are) popular again.

I literally never heard anyone say some of them outside of old movies/TV shows and then that game, there absolutely was some "Older french guy writes american teenager" going on.

And I liked/do like the game, but it had some goofy odd writing at times, it doesn't somehow damage it to admit that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why are you driving a 2017 Lamborghini? The 2018 models have just launched. It's time to upgrade man, stop being stuck in the past and demanding we service your old, broken car. The parts aren't even in production anymore. The people have moved on.

If I have to buy a new car because the parts aren't available anymore, or the parts are costly because of how old my car is, it's going to be a 2018-or-whenever-I-buy-a-car model.

I'm not even being hypothetical here, it's something I'm currently exploring, and my car is only five years old.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... how the gently caress is the population of a small city not a thriving community?

Are you being disingenuous, or are you actually confusing active player populations with registered accounts and/or not understanding how small those player numbers are versus the numbers playing the most updated version of the game? No, those numbers are nothing. They are if-they-were-legit-servers-they'd-be-closed-down-by-now-and-understandably-so numbers.

To bring this back to the actual Internet Critic aspect of this argument, it's why I just can't stand when Ross goes on these rants about it. The totality of my interest in those games is him covering them, not me playing them. If I had wanted to play them, I would have when the servers were up. Since they aren't, and I can't, nothing of value is lost. Maybe he'd have that movie he's so passionate about out if he focused all the angry-at-a-lost-game energy into it, instead.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 15, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
game preservation is important, as important as preserving any artform, your arguments against it are asinine, go away

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't care about Vanilla WoW or any version of WoW really but some people do and are causing no harm by playing it on their own private servers and slapping them down is very lovely, and considering how significant WoW is in the history of MMOs there kinda should be some form of preservation of the old versions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

At best he'll come back with some braindead "BUH IT WERENT POPULAR SO BAD" spew.

Want to give this attention for being right on the loving money.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

No, those numbers are nothing. They are if-they-were-legit-servers-they'd-be-closed-down-by-now-and-understandably-so numbers.

Why are you on Something Awful then? Since there are only around 5,000 active posters, surely that means the servers should be shutdown since it's so old and unpopular right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mister Bibs literally will never not think 'more popular = objectively best'. That's his thing, it's like how BotL will literally never not think 'I need to remind the world how everything they like is childish and stupid'. This isn't a complex honeypot but we keep putting our dicks in it, guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also a reminder that Ross has actually saved some games from oblivion through his channel so I won't fault him for crusading for game preservation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STOP

TALKING

TO

THE

HOT

DOG

IDIOT

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I literally never heard anyone say some of them outside of old movies/TV shows and then that game, there absolutely was some "Older french guy writes american teenager" going on.

And I liked/do like the game, but it had some goofy odd writing at times, it doesn't somehow damage it to admit that.

How many teenagers do you hang out with on a regular basis?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What are these alien and repulsive phrases that keep popping up in Life is Strange that everyone is referring to?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What are these alien and repulsive phrases that keep popping up in Life is Strange that everyone is referring to?

"I don't care what everyone else says, Final Fantasy the Spirits Within was a great movie."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

How many teenagers do you hang out with on a regular basis?

Game's set in like 2012, I was 19 around then and I don't think I've ever heard hella, amazeballs, wowser, shaka brah any of that said by a real person again outside of old media.

Also the greatest sin

Kay Kessler posted:

"I don't care what everyone else says, Final Fantasy the Spirits Within was a great movie."

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Game's set in like 2012, I was 19 around then and I don't think I've ever heard hella, amazeballs, wowser, shaka brah any of that said by a real person again outside of old media.

Also the greatest sin

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Also the greatest sin

Hella is regional along the American northeast, I believe, and still in use. The other ones were internet-exclusive and probably restricted to a certain kind of dork.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Hella is regional along the American northeast, I believe, and still in use.

Well that'd explain that one at least.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

business hammocks posted:

Hella is regional along the American northeast, I believe, and still in use. The other ones were internet-exclusive and probably restricted to a certain kind of dork.

West coast, and Pacific Northwest in specific. I say "hella", and the rest are also things people around here say with less frequency in the age range of the LiS characters. Like I said, for the time period and it being set in Oregon, in specific, it's surprisingly (but not perfectly) accurate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea LiS characters are 90% huge nerd babies so them saying poo poo like 'amazeballs' is 100% on brand.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I love the awful teen dialogue in lis and I don't care if it's accurate or not

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The weird thing is that apart from the WOW vanilla servers, Blizzard is usually pretty good about supporting their back catalog. Diablo 2 is still getting updates, and they offer some of their classic game like Blackthorne, Rock&Roll Racing, and The Lost Vikings as a free download.

However, the one big exception I noticed was the first Diablo game. Diablo 1 is not available for purchase on the store, nor is it offered as free download anywhere on Blizzard's site. The only way you can get ahold of it nowadays outside of second-hand copies is just downloading it from somewhere that has it up for download. That to me constitutes as :filez:, but at the same time, I was able to download it from the Internet Archive, and it doesn't seem like Blizzard has tried to take it down. Still, I don't think it's considered freeware, so it's in this really weird state where Blizzard doesn't offer it in any official capacity, but it's sketchy on whether or not you're free to grab it from wherever.

MisterBibs posted:

If I have to buy a new car because the parts aren't available anymore, or the parts are costly because of how old my car is, it's going to be a 2018-or-whenever-I-buy-a-car model.

I'm not even being hypothetical here, it's something I'm currently exploring, and my car is only five years old.

But I think that does link into something I've always pondered about, and that was dealing with certain sequels or follow-ups with certain franchises, and which ones you should play. For example, I bought Civilization V a year or so ago when it was on sale because I like the demo, but then I ended up picking up Civilization III and IV real cheap through bundle deals. Civilization VI also came out late last year, and you also have the option of seeking out the first two games (as well as any other Civilization games I've forgotten about). The question is: which one is worth playing. My thinking would be that you'd want to play the most recent one, and that the oldest one should be avoided since the interface has probably not aged well and it's not as streamlined, but maybe that's not the case.

Another example; there are five (maybe six, I forget) entries in the Heroes of Might and Magic series. However, the one that people consider to be the best is HoM&M 3. On top of that, HoM&M 3 got an HD re-release a while ago, but the original release is still preferable since the HD version lacks the two expansions packs (I think the reason why is because the source code for them is lost).

Recently, I've been looking at the Romance of the Three Kingdom games, and the one that most people seem to still prefer nowadays is RotTK 10, even over the more recent entries. I've tried RotTK10 (the PS2 version), and it's interesting, but I'm still curious about the newest one RotTK13 (despite the fact that the reviews for it on Steam are pretty negative).

There's certainly an argument for how sequels or new iterations of franchise try to add or improve on aspects of the predecessor, but at the same time, there are cases where older entries are still considered better. SimCity 3000 and Sim City 4 are still worth checking out instead of Sim City 2013.

MisterBibs posted:

To bring this back to the actual Internet Critic aspect of this argument, it's why I just can't stand when Ross goes on these rants about it. The totality of my interest in those games is him covering them, not me playing them. If I had wanted to play them, I would have when the servers were up. Since they aren't, and I can't, nothing of value is lost. Maybe he'd have that movie he's so passionate about out if he focused all the angry-at-a-lost-game energy into it, instead.

Okay, but what about someone who watches the video and thinks the game looks fun and wants to play it, but can't because the servers are no longer up?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

There's certainly an argument for how sequels or new iterations of franchise try to add or improve on aspects of the predecessor, but at the same time, there are cases where older entries are still considered better. SimCity 3000 and Sim City 4 are still worth checking out instead of Sim City 2013.

If someone asked me for a city builder game, I'd point them to Cities:Skylines, not SC3000 or 4. Latest available iteration, and all that.

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, but what about someone who watches the video and thinks the game looks fun and wants to play it, but can't because the servers are no longer up?

Shrug your shoulders for missing out on the chance to play it when it was live, and possibly email the person who made the video to put the "this is a dead game" part at the beginning of the video, so what you learn is in the right context (history) versus the wrong (game review).

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 16, 2017

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

The weird thing is that apart from the WOW vanilla servers, Blizzard is usually pretty good about supporting their back catalog. Diablo 2 is still getting updates, and they offer some of their classic game like Blackthorne, Rock&Roll Racing, and The Lost Vikings as a free download.

However, the one big exception I noticed was the first Diablo game. Diablo 1 is not available for purchase on the store, nor is it offered as free download anywhere on Blizzard's site. The only way you can get ahold of it nowadays outside of second-hand copies is just downloading it from somewhere that has it up for download. That to me constitutes as :filez:, but at the same time, I was able to download it from the Internet Archive, and it doesn't seem like Blizzard has tried to take it down. Still, I don't think it's considered freeware, so it's in this really weird state where Blizzard doesn't offer it in any official capacity, but it's sketchy on whether or not you're free to grab it from wherever.

Same with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. The worst part is it's really hard to find a "complete" copy of it. Every copy I've found has one or two really weird problems, like some level intro cutscene things I only knew existed because of an LP here. The version I played didn't have them, but when I found a version with them there was some other thing mysteriously missing or not working for whatever reason (I think it was missing sounds or voices or something).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 16, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Amazeballs seems like something someone a bit younger than 19 would be saying, and I've never heard the phrase Shaka Brah before but this feels less alien than any Futurama slang so I can see that being said.

No harm if anyone's prefer they said wicked or husk in place of them though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Same with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. The worst part is it's really hard to find a "complete" copy of it. Every copy I've found has one or two really weird problems, like some level intro cutscene things I only knew existed because of an LP here. The version I played didn't have them, but when I found a version with them there was some other thing mysteriously missing or not working for whatever reason (I think it was missing sounds or voices or something).

Blizzard have stated they won't rerelease Orcs and Humans because it just wasn't that good compared to their later games.

Still no excuse for not rereleasing Warcraft 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"Shaka, brah" is like, old California surfer slang but i wouldn't be shocked hearing Pacific Northwest teenagers saying it

• Locked thread