Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jimbot posted:

I saw Fantastic Beasts for the first time a week ago and yeah, it does lean heavy into that doesn't it? The most unbelievable thing in that film was a woman of color, being the president of all magic or whatever the gently caress in the US, being a social conservative.

Why? There are lots of extremely socially conservative women of color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jimbot posted:

I think they said there are five more films planned. Yep.

Good God, I thought it was only going to be a trilogy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Five films...just make a drat tv show!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Why? There are lots of extremely socially conservative women of color.

True, but a woman her age at that time period is just a hard pill to swallow.

Timby posted:

Unless IMDB lied to me, it was originally planned as one but then extended it to five films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Five films...just make a drat tv show!

JK Rowling just loves Hollywood money too much.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 16, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still mad that the Golden Compass movie was so loving bad.

The His Dark Materials series is leagues better than Harry Potter. :colbert:

I would go so far to call The Golden Compass film an atrocity.

I saw a trailer in the theater and I was next to like a 50 year old woman or something, she leaned over to her adult daughter and loudly whispered "that's the atheist bear"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I watched part of a Harry Potter movie once. They were trying to find a werewolf, and the twist was that the werewolf a person helping them named Professor Lupin. Lupin is the Spanish world for wolf. It was then I decided to give up on ol' Harry P

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I watched part of a Harry Potter movie once. They were trying to find a werewolf, and the twist was that the werewolf a person helping them named Professor Lupin. Lupin is the Spanish world for wolf. It was then I decided to give up on ol' Harry P

Imagine complaining about this in the comic book thread.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I never got into Harry Potter. I think was out outside of the target demographic. The first film came out when I was in my senior year at university.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sassassin posted:

Imagine complaining about this in the comic book thread.

Come on, Edward Nygma is some high brow wordplay. Only geniuses can appreciate it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What preteen doesn't know all the derivatives of the Latin word lupus? Heh, idiots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Come on, Edward Nygma is some high brow wordplay. Only geniuses can appreciate it

Did Victor Fries choose to become an evil cold based villain, or was he forced into it because of his name? The world may never know.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

Did Victor Fries choose to become an evil cold based villain, or was he forced into it because of his name? The world may never know.

He could have changed the pronunciation of his last name and bought a McDonalds franchise. He knew what he was doing, no sympathy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

He could have changed the pronunciation of his last name and bought a McDonalds franchise. He knew what he was doing, no sympathy.

In Gotham his name is pronounced to rhyme with “vice” and he’s still an ice-themed supervillain, so...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

poo poo like this bothers me in all forms of media. Someday, I want to play a game with a dwarf name Rognar Hammercrafter who actually makes shoes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordiceius posted:

poo poo like this bothers me in all forms of media. Someday, I want to play a game with a dwarf name Rognar Hammercrafter who actually makes shoes.

I wrote a blog post years ago that was written from the perspective of a depressed Ram-Man from He-Man who just wanted to be an accountant but he was forced into a ramming career.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you would not believe how much rogering captain america does

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mordiceius posted:

You can't escape it. It happens in real life, too.

Tiger Woods? Come the gently caress on!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mordiceius posted:

There was a writer on The Batman named Joseph Kuhr.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

There was a writer on The Batman named Joseph Kuhr.

And who could forget Speed Weed, writer for The Flash.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

https://youtu.be/2YPD5gE8O-4

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

WW2 starts filming June 2018. Cold War setting seems to be confirmed.

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/10/14/wonder-woman-2-starts-production-june-2018-synopsis-revealed/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The WW2 abbreviation is going to get confusing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

WW1 took place during WW1. WW2 takes place post WW2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr. Apollo posted:

WW1 took place during WW1. WW2 takes place post WW2.

WW3 will take place sometime in the Trump era I guess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Because truly the monster to defeat in the 1980s was the Soviet Union.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

i'm sure it will be handled with the same kind of historical proficiency that gave us ww1 nazis

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Make a genderswapped Rocky 4

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe she'll be fighting along side the mujahideen to liberate Afghanistan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Last year I made a joke post about it but with this news now I really hope she gets the invisible jet and it's literally just this exact movie but with Wonder Woman in Lou Gossett Jr.'s role same dialogue and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHmwL-xyag

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Knowing some stuff Gadot said in the past, all the parts in WW where Diana witnesses the horrors of war becomes simultaneously funny and cringey.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still mad that the Golden Compass movie was so loving bad.

The His Dark Materials series is leagues better than Harry Potter. :colbert:

I would go so far to call The Golden Compass film an atrocity.

The Golden Compass wasn't a complete right-off, they had a good cast, good score, amazing visuals and set design. Then again maybe I just think that because Ian McKellen as Iorek was inspired casting, that and Ian McShane as Iofur (why yes I do have a poster with the two bears fighting)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

i will pay any amount of money for the climax of Wonder Woman 2 to involve Wonder Woman punching Ronald Reagan in the face repeatedly until he turns back into his natural demon form.

i will fundraise, i swear to god

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't wanna triviliaze the horrible stuff the USSR did, but when you look at a list of what it was up to in the 80s and compare that to the US...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

i will pay any amount of money for the climax of Wonder Woman 2 to involve Wonder Woman punching Ronald Reagan in the face repeatedly until he turns back into his natural demon form.

i will fundraise, i swear to god

I'd be there day one.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

That Atom is amazing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lobok posted:

What preteen doesn't know all the derivatives of the Latin word lupus? Heh, idiots.

There are preteens who aren't into werewolf lore in even the tiniest way thus realizing the connection between wolf and lup[wahtever]? It's a series about wizards who use faux latin magical phrases, kids shouldn't be that dumb.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

That Atom is amazing.

They actually managed to translate the spirit of that costume well to Legends of Tomorrow. Absolutely terrible and ludicrous, just a different era of it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jimbot posted:

I saw Fantastic Beasts for the first time a week ago and yeah, it does lean heavy into that doesn't it? The most unbelievable thing in that film was a woman of color, being the president of all magic or whatever the gently caress in the US, being a social conservative. Unless the characterization in the book was different.

It's less the fact of it, because many marginalised people in history have reached power and carved out an exception for themselves, and more that the diverse make-up of the wizard government (and the way they're treated when they turn up at the final confrontation) seems to code them as the vanguard of a progressive future, despite the fact that they're clearly fascists.

It's like a modern version of J. Edgar Hoover being the hero in Annie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rainbow capitalism's logical endpoint, rainbow fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought Lupin was gonna turn out to be a thief in Harry Potter because of the anime.

• Locked thread