Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

ikanreed posted:

Jesus that's some libertarian-to-fascist pipeline right there.

They don't even recognize how their new position competely subverts the one thing they claim to care about in their previous one.

I don't see it as a subversion so much as a pretty direct line. Think about your typical mental image of the rhetorically-contrary libertarian: white, middle-class male. The libertarian thesis here is that they'd be successful if not for regulations/restrictions/society in some way. The core point is that it's the individual who then supposedly gains control of all their circumstances - the default is then assumed to be the self, and differing backgrounds are not so much 'different' as 'not normal'. It's an easy jump from there to shift the blame from the vague idea of regulation and government to visibly different individuals who go against the attempt at a universalized sense of self and norm definitions. Combine that with the trend towards ironic detachment in online anonymous/pseudonymous spaces, and you're pretty much in an ideal space for these ideologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

McGlockenshire posted:

quote:

"... He strikes me as someone without a core, who only knows how to oppose and who chooses his positions based on what will be most upsetting to people around him.”

That's almost straight out of Harper's 1941 article Who Goes Nazi?:

Dorothy Thompson posted:

Those who haven’t anything in them to tell them what they like and what they don’t-whether it is breeding, or happiness, or wisdom, or a code, however old-fashioned or however modern, go Nazi.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://the-grey-tribe.tumblr.com/post/166353587898/fundamentally-the-problem-is-that-both-sides-use#notes

Every time someone says stuff like this, Trey Parker gets a boner

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

quote:

If you’re writing a textbook on game design based on first principles,

1. A game is all that is done in play.
1.1 A game is the totality of rules, not of things.
1.11 A game is determined by the rules, and by their being all the rules
1.12 :suicide:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also that as a kickstarter backer I got a "True Buckaroo" badge coffee mug that I love and cherish :3:

This is indeed a good mug. I insist it’s my wife’s but she occasionally insists on giving it to me with morning coffee.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ikanreed posted:

Jesus that's some libertarian-to-fascist pipeline right there.

Please remember that this is the goal of the people funding the American Libertarian movement, media, think tanks, and so on, people like the Kochs and the Mercers (the former who fund Cato Institute, “Reason,” etc. and the latter who fund Breitbart). To them true libertarians are useful idiots who can help advance their policy agenda, and also a testbed for the ideas which they’ll roll out to the rest of the right in time.

The reason we’re only now seeing things like holocaust denial and other forms of Anti-Semitismis because it didn’t “take” the first time it was floated to the libertarian beta-testers. This time around a lot of people were pre-primed by right-wing media’s nonstop opposition to Obama, a bunch of new people were drawn in via Gamergate, and both of those groups were much more receptive when told “you should hate these groups, they’re the ones who are responsible for your problems.”

That’s a big reason I’m really scared by some of the current US administration’s anti-trans moves: It certainly looks like they’ve picked the group they want to target for the first wave of full-scale oppression, the group they’ll “practice” on before turning hate—and policy—against ever more of us.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

eschaton posted:

Please remember that this is the goal of the people funding the American Libertarian movement, media, think tanks, and so on, people like the Kochs and the Mercers (the former who fund Cato Institute, “Reason,” etc. and the latter who fund Breitbart). To them true libertarians are useful idiots who can help advance their policy agenda, and also a testbed for the ideas which they’ll roll out to the rest of the right in time.

The reason we’re only now seeing things like holocaust denial and other forms of Anti-Semitismis because it didn’t “take” the first time it was floated to the libertarian beta-testers. This time around a lot of people were pre-primed by right-wing media’s nonstop opposition to Obama, a bunch of new people were drawn in via Gamergate, and both of those groups were much more receptive when told “you should hate these groups, they’re the ones who are responsible for your problems.”

That’s a big reason I’m really scared by some of the current US administration’s anti-trans moves: It certainly looks like they’ve picked the group they want to target for the first wave of full-scale oppression, the group they’ll “practice” on before turning hate—and policy—against ever more of us.

I don't really buy this. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the Kochs, at least, are libertarian true believers. The libertarian-to-fascism pipeline definitely exists, but it has more to do with Rand and Rothbard than with Reason and Cato.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Silver2195 posted:

I don't really buy this. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the Kochs, at least, are libertarian true believers. The libertarian-to-fascism pipeline definitely exists, but it has more to do with Rand and Rothbard than with Reason and Cato.

Libertarians (at least, not the good, Spanish Civil war-era ones) are Nazis who deliberately obfuscate their political positions, hth.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Samovar posted:

Libertarians (at least, not the good, Spanish Civil war-era ones) are Nazis who deliberately obfuscate their political positions, hth.

they're nazis who haven't realized they're nazis yet. all it takes is a liiiitle push to send them over the edge into open fascism

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

noether posted:

they're nazis who haven't realized they're nazis yet. all it takes is a liiiitle push to send them over the edge into open fascism

Power and lack of accountability, even on a petty scale, can reveal closet authoritarians who just don't want any authority higher than themselves and just want to be Lord of their own little clan/plantation/kingdom.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

There are people who self identify as libertarians and definitely aren't Nazis (e.g., Radley Balko).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh god the streams cross

note where he stops halfway through the gag to explain the gag

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Samovar posted:

Some of them, sure. But the Cato Institute, for example, supports fully open borders and free trade. That is pretty far from the Nazi position by any reckoning.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

pookel posted:

Some of them, sure. But the Cato Institute, for example, supports fully open borders and free trade. That is pretty far from the Nazi position by any reckoning.

The Nazis supported the open borders of Belgium much more than the closed borders of the Maginot Line.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Less Wrong Tumblr defends the honor of David Auerbach

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

divabot posted:

oh god the streams cross

I had to double check the date on there. It takes a rare kind of mind to jump on the bitcoin bandwagon in 2017.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Goon Danton posted:

I had to double check the date on there. It takes a rare kind of mind to jump on the bitcoin bandwagon in 2017.
Passing $5000 has lead to a bunch of news stories about it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Surely the scandal here is that Auerbach and Yiannopoulos were pen pals at all? The details of what Auerbach wrote seem beside the point.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pookel posted:

Cato will support open borders right up until the Kochs tell them not to. Just like “Reason” floated trial balloons for Holocaust denial and Anti-Semitism among libertarians once upon a time.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Surely the scandal here is that Auerbach and Yiannopoulos were pen pals at all? The details of what Auerbach wrote seem beside the point.

Indeed, anything about “you haven’t shown me any emails” or “if I don’t know what they say I can’t comment on them” is misdirection from that.

Nobody in their right might has a good reason to email someone like Milo.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'll level with you, I have no idea who that is.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Passing $5000 has lead to a bunch of news stories about it.

Pumping 5000 gallons of farts into a balloon without it bursting is newsworthy, I guess.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cavelcade posted:

I'll level with you, I have no idea who that is.

Professional opinion-haver, Gamergate "well there's two sides here"-er, and ... the guy who made Roko's Basilisk really famous!

Goon Danton posted:

He appears to seriously believe blockchainery proceeds from the engineers to management and marketing, and not the other way around.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

divabot posted:

oh god the streams cross

tag yourselves, i'm the complete lack of punchline

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm the reverence with which the author, who believes that gravity doesn't exist, refers to The Blockchain.

Yet again nerds invent religion in order to fill the gaping void in their lives left behind when their smugness starts to burn itself out.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Nonsense. Smugness is an eternal flame.

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm the gradient void the characters have been banished to for all time

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

divabot posted:

Professional opinion-haver, Gamergate "well there's two sides here"-er, and ... the guy who made Roko's Basilisk really famous!

He appears to seriously believe blockchainery proceeds from the engineers to management and marketing, and not the other way around.

Makes sense though, engineers are early adopters of really terrible ideas. Management aren't dumb enough to send emails talking about :biotruths: etc.

*edit* excuse me, company wide emails

Relevant Tangent has a new favorite as of 12:32 on Oct 17, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

Makes sense though, engineers are early adopters of really terrible ideas. Management aren't dumb enough to send emails talking about :biotruths: etc.

*edit* excuse me, company wide emails

Someone has never gotten drunk with HR employees.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

I think you mean master of demographics https://the-grey-tribe.tumblr.com/post/166467089198/thirqual-the-grey-tribe-the

Silver2195 posted:

Look, I'm sick of all these SJWs questioning my text chain with Charles Manson. We just share baking memes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/menangahela/status/920297374014156801

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The funny thing is, Scott Adams thinks this isn't a sick burn by the marketing guy, a dude who does nothing but explain ideas to people in palatable ways.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

We have a saying in my branch of academia: if you can't teach it, you don't understand it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thinkpiece author Sam Kriss apparently committed sexual assault, and I searched twitter to see how people were reacting, and found a bunch of reasonable responses and this douche

So I posted it here so people could share my pain
https://twitter.com/ConquistadorMnd/status/920298247775760385

https://twitter.com/NewAgeInsurgent/status/920300748780589056

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

We have a saying in my branch of academia: if you can't teach it, you don't understand it.

I think that's just a good saying in general, I've heard it just out in professional life (and used it a few times myself :v:)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sounds like someone needs to hurry up and go their own way

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Better a thousand honest fascists than a glistening sleaze called Sam Kriss.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
BTW: Don't look up Sam Kriss on twitter, it is now like, half people reacting sensibly and half alt-right dudes going into conniptions about Jewish ironycels

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, what sort of thinkpieces did Sam Kriss write? The name does sound familiar.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, what sort of thinkpieces did Sam Kriss write? The name does sound familiar.

Infamously, “Twerking over Ghouta”, and also that takedown of JK Rowling.

He also backhandedly supported Marine Le Pen in the presidential election this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/degrasse-tyson-kriss-atheists

And a bunch of other overblown poorly argued lovely takedowns of idiots people would try to convince you were good