Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jota posted:

It's funny seeing other people insist he's the PG though like on r/sixers

Wait, so are you saying he is not the point guard? I'm confused. Because he's the point guard. If anything the offseason insistence on it was stupid only because he could have just waited for people to see him play and then nobody would have questioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So as an Australian with only a passing understanding or interest in Basketball... is Ben Simmons playing Point?
My understanding was that offensively he plays that "conduit" role and defensively he guards a bigger player who maybe isn't as fast or something.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Schlesische posted:

So as an Australian with only a passing understanding or interest in Basketball... is Ben Simmons playing Point?
My understanding was that offensively he plays that "conduit" role and defensively he guards a bigger player who maybe isn't as fast or something.

The endgame of The Process is a team composed entirely of Point Centers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

So I recently read Jalen Rose's book "Got to give the people what they want" and read all about his falling out with Chris Webber. As someone who never knew about the fab five etc. until recently this was pretty shocking. All I know of Chris Webber is he seems entertaining and cool on TV and he used to play for the Kings. After reading this though he definitely comes off as 'the bad guy' or at least someone who is never able to admit he made mistakes. I suppose it's impossible to know everything that goes on, maybe something else happened and he doesn't feel like he should be at fault for anything?

Anyway, is there another side to the story that I can read somewhere?
the other side of the story is league corruption stole a championship from him

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Schlesische posted:

Point guards don't always defend the opposing team's point guard, depending on the matchup. If we defined point guard as the player who defends the opposing team's point guard we'd be caught in a recursive loop. Ben Simmons is the 76ers' starting point guard.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 16, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Schlesische posted:

People aren't defining their terms so nobody can agree on anything. Your understating is correct, and some would call that being a point guard and some wouldn't, but whatever we call it doesn't change what he's doing on the court.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
During the preseason, Simmons was the primary ball handler and initiator on offense (more so than LeBron or Giannis are on their teams by comparison). On defense he guarded opposing 4s. Call him whatever you want.

As an experiment the Sixers actually tried him guarding Kyrie for a four minutes stretch in one preseason game and whilst not great by any means he was surprisingly not terrible at it. On ball he was athletic enough to stay with Kyrie mostly, but he couldn't stick with him well enough when Iriving was off-ball and having screens set for him.

e: The Heat guarded Simmons with Justice Winslow (who he killed, incidentally). Does that mean Winslow is the 4 for the Heat in those lineups? Or the 1? Because Simmons wasn't guarding Winslow on the other end. It's positonless basketball ladies and gentlemen!

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 16, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm honestly not sure how someone is the primary ball handler more than LeBron

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I'm honestly not sure how someone is the primary ball handler more than LeBron

People who handle more balls than LeBron:
CP3
Batum
Harden
Reggie Evans

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

During the preseason, Simmons was the primary ball handler and initiator on offense (more so than LeBron or Giannis are on their teams by comparison). On defense he guarded opposing 4s. Call him whatever you want.

As an experiment the Sixers actually tried him guarding Kyrie for a four minutes stretch in one preseason game and whilst not great by any means he was surprisingly not terrible at it. On ball he was athletic enough to stay with Kyrie mostly, but he couldn't stick with him well enough when Iriving was off-ball and having screens set for him.

e: The Heat guarded Simmons with Justice Winslow (who he killed, incidentally). Does that mean Winslow is the 4 for the Heat in those lineups? Or the 1? Because Simmons wasn't guarding Winslow on the other end. It's positonless basketball ladies and gentlemen!

In this equation Winslow is a 0.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NotWearingPants posted:

Point guards don't always defend the opposing team's point guard, depending on the matchup. If we defined point guard as the player who defends the opposing team's point guard we'd be caught in a recursive loop. Ben Simmons is the 76ers' starting point guard.

dokmo posted:

People aren't defining their terms so nobody can agree on anything. Your understating is correct, and some would call that being a point guard and some wouldn't, but whatever we call it doesn't change what he's doing on the court.

My defining term will be how often he shares the floor with two guards, one of which is almost always otherwise playing PG. Simmons will frequently be sharing the floor with Bayless and Fultz, guys who otherwise will be playing point. To me there is a difference between a point guard, and a guy who always shares the floor with a point guard.

I don't care as much what you call Simmons, but JJ and Bayless(or McConnell) are Guards and Covington is playing the Wing, Embiid is the Center, so do what you will with Simmons.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I'm not sure how true this will be. How things look in Pre-season don't always match regular season. I suspect he'll play a role more like Giannis.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
less than 36 hours until regular season NBA basketball returns

that's pretty cool

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Carlosologist posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSuERQAWDT/

I love Jaylen Brown, wow. need this guy to succeed

I was hoping to see Jaylen embarrass the dude on D too but that was fun. Much better than the old video of Scalabrine posting up on some barstool sports moron a while ago.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It doesn't really matter what he calls himself, and what his duties are, if he's the 2nd tallest player in the lineup and he's guarding the other 2nd tallest player in the opposing teams lineup he's probably gonna be listed as a PF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's Steph Curry, he's even more not like regular people than you thought

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/919775000487268352

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

yo I'm so hype for ball. I need this. Let Tuesday be now already.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was hoping to see Jaylen embarrass the dude on D too but that was fun. Much better than the old video of Scalabrine posting up on some barstool sports moron a while ago.

It's insane because Brown totally toasts him but he's only going like 5 or 10%. NBA athletes are really in a different class of human

just a little over a day until the season starts!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919942794109743104

Memphis 👏 can’t 👏 draft 👏 for 👏 poo poo 👏

E. Lol

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919943676390006786

NickRoweFillea fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 16, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Libertine posted:

It doesn't really matter what he calls himself, and what his duties are, if he's the 2nd tallest player in the lineup and he's guarding the other 2nd tallest player in the opposing teams lineup he's probably gonna be listed as a PF.

It's funny, he's listed as PF on the official Sixers site, but on more than one occasion (including the last preseason game) I've heard the announcer introduce the team like:

F JJ Reddick
F Robert Covington
G Bayless/Fultz
G Ben Simmons
C Joel Embiid

It really seems like an ego thing :shrug:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Juaguocio posted:

Oh my God, it just hit me- in two days, I'm going to get home from work and watch NBA basketball for 4-5 hours.

Hell, yeah! I'm super excited, too!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kibner posted:

Hell, yeah! I'm super excited, too!

Some day I'll retire back to Boston and do this. :allears:

In the meantime, anyone want to go to a Timberwolves game this year? All my twin cities friends are academics who exclusively watch the WNBA (which owns, don't get me wrong).

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

What happened with Baldwin? I didn't realize that things were that bad.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wade Baldwin will definitely be a Bull

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DMC has the right expression for playing the bulls.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/JCameratoNBCS/status/919611184613154818

I'm actually annoyed now that they are having him come off the bench because he should not be playing at all if his shoulder is having this big an impact. That is ridiculous.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/919916637817581568

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/InStreetClothes/status/919915636431708160

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

zoux posted:

A player on a championship team should commission some more subtle rings for his teammates sorta like how Sheed for custom WWE belts for the Pistons.

aBagorn posted:

It's funny, he's listed as PF on the official Sixers site, but on more than one occasion (including the last preseason game) I've heard the announcer introduce the team like:

F JJ Reddick
F Robert Covington
G Bayless/Fultz
G Ben Simmons
C Joel Embiid

It really seems like an ego thing :shrug:

Which is funny because point guard is the worst paid position in the league

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I know it's tedious to continually point out dumb poo poo that Bill Simmons says, but he said on the latest podcast with Bob Voulgaris that Larry Bird was a better passer than LeBron.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
In general I think you are what you defend, but it really wouldn't be a big deal if Simmons wasn't being a big baby about it. I'm mostly just confused about what he thinks he's getting out of it, a dude dominating the ball at power forward is still more exciting and novel than "tall PG"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

big boi posted:

I know it's tedious to continually point out dumb poo poo that Bill Simmons says, but he said on the latest podcast with Bob Voulgaris that Larry Bird was a better passer than LeBron.

Larry Bird was a really good passer and so is Lebron, no big deal

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

People who handle more balls than LeBron:
CP3
Batum
Harden
Reggie Evans

Forgot Sam Cassell.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

always a huge fan of the sultry, over the shoulder, "check out the butt" pose that AD is throwing in the second frame

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919942794109743104

Memphis 👏 can’t 👏 draft 👏 for 👏 poo poo 👏

Maybe they just really like Rabb. He's more of a Memphis-type player anyway.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
maybe they didn't want a narc on the team

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

zoux posted:

What's weird about that? They aren't very attractive pieces of jewelry

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

What happened with Baldwin? I didn't realize that things were that bad.

Supercop was only drafted because of his long arms, he had a very unremarkable college career, he never showed anything in garbage time or summer league. He would have had to develop a good three point shot to make up for his poor finishing and he would have had to defend the way you'd expect a freak spider monster to defend

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/919961714598207488

Check under the bed for Lebron

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/bbanimals/status/919563839154393088 pictured: memphis approaching the modern style of NBA play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

for whatever reason NFL Films are much better at this sort of silly LEGENDS ARE BORN ON THE COLD JANUARY GRIDIRON ridiculous mythologizing

DeimosRising posted:

What's weird about that? They aren't very attractive pieces of jewelry

rollin' my eyes so hard I'm causing damage to my optic nerve. Why would I want to wear this piece of jewelry that symbolizes my greatest accomplishment. Also I wanna read your writeup on Orlando, you should finish that! I thought they had one of the worst rosters in the league as of two or three seasons ago and I haven't been watching their games much

• Locked thread