Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

This looks like a good idea for csgo as well

I dunno, ymmv but I tried it for a bit, and even though can hear more quiet sounds like footsteps just fine while the AK doesn't tear your eardrums to shreds- I ended up struggling way more with gauging the distance of the source of the sound, so in the end I figured it wasn't worth it since it felt like it hurt my situational awareness. Only tried it for a couple of matches, though.

Also cs:go doesn't have a loud rear end plane, artillery or that god drat buggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I can speak for my setup, I have a controller plugged in for rocket league, and all the shortcut popups tell me the shortcuts for the controller and not the keyboard. Assuming that is what's happening there.

I can confirm the same thing happens to me.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

GOONS STOLE ARE DINER11!!!!!

Zipperelli. posted:

Are you... are you playing with a controller?

Yes, I am playing with a controller.

I leave it plugged in and sit on it to make my balls and shaft jiggle

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

fake news we discussed this

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

GOONS STOLE ARE DINER11!!!!!

You should have hears our comms when Molchane started killing us.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
I tried the volume equalisation thing and man, when its quiet the ambient noises get amplified so much its deafening anyway

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you equalize your sounds, you can't tell where vehicles are. Vehicles are free kills, don't do this.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Astarath posted:

I tried the volume equalisation thing and man, when its quiet the ambient noises get amplified so much its deafening anyway

lower the volume then?

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Then everything is too quiet and I can't hear footsteps unless someone is sprinting.

It sounded like a good idea but there are just way too many downsides, including what WBG just said

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

TRIPLE CHICKEN DINNER!!! We just got 3 back-to-back-to-back. Weird games, I had 0 kills until 12 left in the first one until I tripped over and murdered two grass snakes.

Relive the experience, buy the tshirt, make and then eat some tacos! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182534834

As far as dynamic range compression goes, the Steelseries Arctis 5 has an onboard hardware DSP that is configured via software to save your hearing without introducing the latency or other compromises incurred by using software DSP. It won't save you from quiet goons who mumble into their microphones (there's a discord/game knob for that), but it will allow you to mute the game without your ears ringing from the 0.2 seconds of airplane/buggy noise.

I turn it off when I play CS:GO, it makes it harder to locate shots IME

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Rebind the master mute key so you can just mute the plane/parachutes easily.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you equalize your sounds, you can't tell where vehicles are. Vehicles are free kills, don't do this.

doesn't it gently caress with gunshots and footsteps also? I don't even have this option for my logitech headphones

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Astarath posted:

Then everything is too quiet and I can't hear footsteps unless someone is sprinting.

It sounded like a good idea but there are just way too many downsides, including what WBG just said

You only have two volume settings? Find your own comfort level. idgi.

I mean, personally I don't actually think the dynamic range in this game is that big of a deal and if you just use headphones with decent isolation you can hear footsteps just fine without deafening yourself on the gunshots, but if you play and you actually feel pain or discomfort in your ears after a playing session you should definitely take into consideration the fact that you are causing yourself permanent hearing damage.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You only have two volume settings? Find your own comfort level. idgi.

I mean, personally I don't actually think the dynamic range in this game is that big of a deal and if you just use headphones with decent isolation you can hear footsteps just fine without deafening yourself on the gunshots, but if you play and you actually feel pain or discomfort in your ears after a playing session you should definitely take into consideration the fact that you are causing yourself permanent hearing damage.

You’re pretty wrong. Loudness Equalization removes the ability to tell how far away a gun shot came from and that’s a pretty big deal.

Don’t give objectively terrible advice.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TJChap2840 posted:

You’re pretty wrong. Loudness Equalization removes the ability to tell how far away a gun shot came from and that’s a pretty big deal.

Don’t give objectively terrible advice.

It doesn't remove the ability as you still get spectral cues for distance (the sound loses high frequencies the further it travels), but it does make it harder.

Anyway, if you think playing PUBG is worth permanent hearing damage that's your thing, some people would prefer to avoid it.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

TRIPLE CHICKEN DINNER!!! We just got 3 back-to-back-to-back. Weird games, I had 0 kills until 12 left in the first one until I tripped over and murdered two grass snakes.

Relive the experience, buy the tshirt, make and then eat some tacos! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182534834

As far as dynamic range compression goes, the Steelseries Arctis 5 has an onboard hardware DSP that is configured via software to save your hearing without introducing the latency or other compromises incurred by using software DSP. It won't save you from quiet goons who mumble into their microphones (there's a discord/game knob for that), but it will allow you to mute the game without your ears ringing from the 0.2 seconds of airplane/buggy noise.

I turn it off when I play CS:GO, it makes it harder to locate shots IME

just watched the final circles on all three. good watch. love the snakehate

snakes dont win

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Equalization makes my headset buzz no matter the volume settings. Kinda annoying but footsteps go BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

cougar cub posted:

Equalization makes my headset buzz no matter the volume settings. Kinda annoying but footsteps go BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Sound mod replaces footsteps with black eyed peas song beats

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

doesn't it gently caress with gunshots and footsteps also? I don't even have this option for my logitech headphones

That's because for some reason the LGS program is garbage for their headphones, when you have LGS installed it errors when you try to open the enhancements tab (sometimes you see the error popup), also instead of real surround sound it's taking stereo sound and simulating surround sound off that, for no apparent reason. If you're curious try uninstalling it, restarting, letting Windows load basic drivers and listen to the difference. For some reason it has been like this for a few years and they just don't seem to want to change it.

There are old versions of LGS which work and allow enhancements through windows and use actual surround sound but they are old enough that it probably won't work with newer mice or things with G-keys.

Logitech are usually good but they really bungled this one thing.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It doesn't remove the ability as you still get spectral cues for distance (the sound loses high frequencies the further it travels), but it does make it harder.

Anyway, if you think playing PUBG is worth permanent hearing damage that's your thing, some people would prefer to avoid it.

Many people have said that you can just, you know, easily mute the game for the loud sounds.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I dont know if this has been discussed, but I realized one reason there's probably so many obvious chinese hackers is they are probably using a lot of the accounts that were being used for farming bps.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Or I could, you know, just take off the headphones for the plane ride part of it. That works too. That and people shouting in the lobby were the only real reason to enable volume equalisation anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the sound wasn't loud enough to be painful, i'm not a complete idiot. It's just annoyingly loud, and since it's the ambient noise - always there. Always. And yes, volume equalisation has precisely two settings: On, and Off.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astarath posted:

Or I could, you know, just take off the headphones for the plane ride part of it. That works too. That and people shouting in the lobby were the only real reason to enable volume equalisation anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the sound wasn't loud enough to be painful, i'm not a complete idiot. It's just annoyingly loud, and since it's the ambient noise - always there. Always. And yes, volume equalisation has precisely two settings: On, and Off.

Ctrl T mutes voice, Ctrl M mutes sound.
Do both until you are about to land!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Post your stats before suggesting people put Loudness Equalization on. Thanks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Had a game earlier today with goons where we had all four intact versus two in the final circle. One of the enemies is in a shitshack so I prime a grenade to throw it inside ...

and then the game freezes/network lags for exactly as long as it takes for the grenade to go off and kill me

we ended up winning though. props to my man noob_bitch

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What about the permanetn drain bramaeg, how do I avoid that?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

TRIPLE CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Turkey dinner

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
if you use loudness equalization instead of muting the plane/parachute part, you might just be a complete retard!!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

i'm sorry but there's just no way those billions of dollars can fix the fact that driving the buggy is five times louder than any other noise in the game or when red zones blow out every window in a house at the same time to the point that it overloads the sound engine

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Boy I can't get enough of moving too fast down stairs and ending up just floating down them in midair and wiffing shots

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Astarath posted:

I mean, this thread suddenly has a rage boner about trying to answer your question so this is getting absurd and I don't really give two shits about your ears but I was explaining that the solution to "now the ambient sounds are deafening" is "turn loudness equalization on, then lower the system volume", why is this confusing?

I wasn't even the one who suggested you use loudness equalization, I don't care if any of you become cranky old men with tinnitus, honestly.

E: and yeah there's a shortcut for globally muting the game.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 16, 2017

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Performed a colossal fuckup. Queued into squads solo, got 18 frags, 4 remain. 1v3 no big deal right? Kitted out, Level 3s, SKS and M4 hot and ready. Roll up on one guy, turns out I still had SKS out from my last fight instead of my M4 death machine.

Got shredded. gently caress.

Won a duos game tho, 9 frags, it ended on the north side of Stalber, of all places. So every battle at the end was on the slope o' the mountain. The last couple groups were prone all over the place, it's a marvel how they missed so much and let us live. Slammed a kar98 shell into someone's helmet from 5 meters away, that made me giggle.

Very good games on the 15th.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

just smdh if you don't elevate your pubg experience by playing from a real plane

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hi I have a high KDR and winrate so I'm qualified to talk about this in a falsely authoritative manner:

Sounds design in pubg is legit terrible and is 100% doing damage to your hearing and it is completely ridiculous that bluehole has done nothing to fix it. Muting the game puts you at a disadvantage. Loudness equalization puts you at a bit of a disadvantage. There's really no good way of dealing with it. What the guy in the video suggests is prob good because you can at least adjust the level of compression, while I believe loudness equalization is fixed level.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

What about the permanetn drain bramaeg, how do I avoid that?

I'm pretty sure that excessive exposure to pubg and Arma causes autism

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think the game needs to simulate the lifelong damage to your ears from operating combat vehicles. Just let us turn down vehicle volume, seriously.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think the game needs to simulate the lifelong damage to your ears from operating combat vehicles. Just let us turn down vehicle volume, seriously.

loving casuals

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that excessive exposure to pubg and Arma causes autism

I guess it's contagious.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think the game needs to simulate the lifelong damage to your ears from operating combat vehicles.

Remind me which nation's military uses a dune buggy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

aniviron posted:

Remind me which nation's military uses a dune buggy?

IDK if we still do but the US.

• Locked thread