Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

aniviron posted:

Remind me which nation's military uses a dune buggy?

haha i bet you thought you were being clever but now you just look like a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I haven't really noticed any of the sounds being too loud or painful, do you guys all use $500 headsets that crank the volume up to 11 or something? My mediocre headset doesn't get loud enough that the plane or gunshots are too loud :shrug:

And the sound is loud enough to hear footsteps clearly, probably 50% of my solo kills come from hearing steps and waiting for the guy to come into the building I'm looting and lighting him up.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Don't mind me, just tabbed out to shitpost during solo queue hiding behind a stove in Yasnaya as the circle closes in on me.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

You've clearly never seen In the Army Now

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do The Evolution posted:

Don't mind me, just tabbed out to shitpost during solo queue hiding behind a stove in Yasnaya as the circle closes in on me.

There’s no stats or rankings right now, stop hiding and go fight constantly and practice small units of skill.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

aniviron posted:

SAS also uses dune buggies, as do for example German KSK. Most nato countries who stick their dick into sand have dune buggies for their special units.

https://books.google.de/books?id=G1...20buggy&f=false

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

VulgarandStupid posted:

There’s no stats or rankings right now, stop hiding and go fight constantly and practice small units of skill.

That's what I do early game. Right now I have 3 kills and have crowned myself the unofficial king of Pochinki (ever a temporary title). When it gets down to lower playercount it feels like I have something to lose, and I like to play it "seriously" to see if my shotcalling is correct in that stage of the game.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Chiming in just to say that I switched my AA to ultra and I gained 20 to 30 fps, so that deffo works

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The B_36 posted:

I haven't really noticed any of the sounds being too loud or painful, do you guys all use $500 headsets that crank the volume up to 11 or something? My mediocre headset doesn't get loud enough that the plane or gunshots are too loud :shrug:

And the sound is loud enough to hear footsteps clearly, probably 50% of my solo kills come from hearing steps and waiting for the guy to come into the building I'm looting and lighting him up.

I'm with you. At my normal headphone volume it's perfectly fine, red zones and the plane passing over are loud but not uncomfortably so. If I'm camping for a while and maybe half paying attention while playing on my phone I'll sometimes turn the volume up a lot so I can hear even the faintest footsteps at a distance. Then it does kind of suck, but that's because I cranked the volume and I can fix that by reaching my finger over a bit and flipping my volume wheel back down.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think the game needs to simulate the lifelong damage to your ears from operating combat vehicles. Just let us turn down vehicle volume, seriously.

This board is weird as hell. The vehicles aren't that loud. Turn your volume down.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ChesterJT posted:

This board is weird as hell. The vehicles aren't that loud. Turn your volume down.

The planes and boats relative to the rest of the sound the game makes are loud as poo poo. It's also constant. They really need a "vehicle volume" in the volume menu.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 16, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ChesterJT posted:

drat, we finally agree on something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ChesterJT posted:

The volume that makes footsteps nice and clear such that you can tell what direction they're in is loud enough that vehicles are unpleasantly loud. I don't see why I should have to choose between too-loud vehicles and too-quiet footsteps. "Realism" is stupid if it makes the game worse. I'm wondering if different sound drivers already have some level of loudness equalization such that it's okay for some folks and not others, because this has been a blatant large problem for me and my group since the game's inception.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 16, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A much simpler solution, and one that most Arma mods use, is giving the player earplugs. When poo poo is really loud like in the plane or a buggy, hit f1 and everything gets much quieter; hit the key again to make things go back to normal.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
speaking of footsteps, do the various footwear options make a difference in sound? Is going barefoot better than running around in shitkickers?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Cimber posted:

speaking of footsteps, do the various footwear options make a difference in sound? Is going barefoot better than running around in shitkickers?

Different sounds, but the same volume.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Cimber posted:

Only for tactical goon operations. Some people have decided that it's beneficial to go bare/shoed with partners/squads so non friendly footsteps stand out. It's pretty stupid.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Going barefoot is slightly more beneficial in rain since the feet slaps are closer to rain than boot stomps but aside from that it's just preference.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Chiming in just to say that I switched my AA to ultra and I gained 20 to 30 fps, so that deffo works

How does that impact spotting enemies for you? I’m pretty terrible at picking people out at very low.

I know stats are off right now, but how does the range generally go from “mashing face on keyboard” to “winning most games”?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I like the barefoot sounds because the foot slap on pavement is so perfect that it makes me wince

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

aniviron posted:

A much simpler solution, and one that most Arma mods use, is giving the player earplugs. When poo poo is really loud like in the plane or a buggy, hit f1 and everything gets much quieter; hit the key again to make things go back to normal.
I'm not sure having an ingame function tied to a key is actually simpler than just... having different volume sliders for different kinds of things

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I hit ctrl+m until I hit the ground. If I'm going for a long boat ride I tend to do that as well.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

aniviron posted:

This is the dumbest solution to this problem I've heard yet

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How does that impact spotting enemies for you? I’m pretty terrible at picking people out at very low.
I didn't notice an impact one way or another

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I hit ctrl+m until I hit the ground. If I'm going for a long boat ride I tend to do that as well.

That means you can't hear people shooting at you, doesn't it?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
God drat, 8 kills in a hospital bloodbath.

I've never come out on top in a hot drop zone before, that felt wild from start to finish. Wish the entire game was at that blistering pace.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm definitely in the boat of wishing there were a bit narrower range for volume. Having lovely hearing doesn't help, even using nice headphones, when you can't hear the important quiet stuff without turning the volume up so high that a single gunshot, vehicle, or red zone is physically uncomfortable. I'm constantly swinging my volume wheel around while playing, and I use the global mute every match for pre-game and dropping.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Astarath posted:

That means you can't hear people shooting at you, doesn't it?

Yeah, in my squad the rule is the driver keeps sound on while everyone else hits ctrl+m, we discuss where to go while they drive and report gunshots ASAP.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

"Realism" is stupid if it makes the game worse.

That's a good one sentence review of PUBG

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This is the dumbest solution to this problem I've heard yet

It works well for arma and is better than adding a volume control for vehicle noise because that would also make it harder to hear enemy vehicles.

I feel like bumping up the volume of footsteps a bit would solve basically all of this though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lohli posted:

It works well for arma and is better than adding a volume control for vehicle noise because that would also make it harder to hear enemy vehicles.

...What? No it wouldn't. I'm not suggesting the distance you hear vehicles from changes, only the high end of the curve needs to move and then refit the rest. So you still get a smooth curve as vehicles get further away, it's just not super-loud when it's right on you, it's still a continuous decreasing volume by distance. (Plus you still get the spectral changes as with normalization, as discussed above.)

The earplugs thing is really bad if you have to hit a button. I don't want to hit a button to stop damaging my hearing, I want the game to handle that for me. If you want to automatically dampen the sound of both the vehicle I'm in and gunshots while I'm in it, that's fine, but don't provide an in-game advantage to damaging my hearing by allowing me to turn it off.

Bumping the volume of footsteps would be fine. Frankly I'd pay good money for a "hack" that just detected footsteps in the audio stream and made them slightly louder.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

"Realism" is stupid if it makes the game worse.

You're right, COD is the pinnacle of gaming, no one should bother making games.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Speaking of noises heres a short video showing how sound can give away your position and get you killed by a Bad Player (its me, im the bad player). The second last guy to die shouldn't have taken the shot that he did. It is what lost him the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyvH1-FY3M

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

You're right, COD is the pinnacle of gaming, no one should bother making games.

holy poo poo you are stupid

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

It was Daikatana, actually. You've probably forgotten from the trauma of John Romero making you his bitch.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Pubg patch notes posted:

"Decreased the Starting Island item spawn levels in order to adjust the item balance on the Northeast side of Erangel"

Do you guys think this patch note implies that loot will increase in cities like Kameshki?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol this is probably the dumbest complaint I've heard so far.

if people are stupid enough to turn up the volume until it damages their hearing, even if they let turn down the buggy volume or whatever, the retards will just bump up their volume until the next loudest thing hurts their hearing

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Zo posted:

lol this is probably the dumbest complaint I've heard so far.

if people are stupid enough to turn up the volume until it damages their hearing, even if they let turn down the buggy volume or whatever, the retards will just bump up their volume until the next loudest thing hurts their hearing
No I won't, I'll turn it up until I hear footsteps clearly, at which point vehicles either are or aren't too loud to comfortably hear while playing. Good job using the ol' noggin though.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

No I won't, I'll turn it up until I hear footsteps clearly, at which point vehicles either are or aren't too loud to comfortably hear while playing. Good job using the ol' noggin though.

exactly, you want footsteps to be as loud as possible, and you're willing to damage your hearing to do so, and that's on you. great.

for the rest of us, we can turn the volume to a reasonable level and also hear footsteps clearly with an advanced technique known as "stop talking when trying to hear footsteps"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Plane and buggies are too loud. Pretty simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
*tunes volume based on the quietest sound in the game*

"why is this game so loud :monocle:"

• Locked thread