Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Zoro posted:

It was out of nowhere as it seems, IIRC.

Well that's good to know. I read farther and I guess I buy the explanation they gave? It's pretty shaky but isn't completely dumb. I guess any hints they dropped were too subtle for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
People don’t seem to be talking about it a lot, but The Defenders has been really fun and absolutely gorgeous.

That last reveal was so whatever, though.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Everyone talks about how good Defenders is. Will I enjoy it even if I'm not really interested in any of the four heroes and don't read any of these characters' other books? I know that's a hell of a qualifier, but after this thread got me in Moon Knight, I'll listen to opinions here.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't think there's been anything that really pulls from any of the characters' backstories that you can't get from the content of the book. It's worth checking out if for no other reason than Marquez's pencils are just loving amazing. I love his Daredevil in particular and he even makes Iron Fist look good.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Defenders is really strong, it has everyone given a chance to be a badass, some great guest appearances, and solid art.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Celery Jello posted:

Well that's good to know. I read farther and I guess I buy the explanation they gave? It's pretty shaky but isn't completely dumb. I guess any hints they dropped were too subtle for me.

You're new so I'll break it down for you: Dan Slott is a Bad Writer. He used to be good, but something changed and now he's poo poo. For Good Slott, check out his run on She-Hulk.

Also, don't let our opinions on Slott being The Worst, deter you from enjoying the book. Welcome to the hobby, hope you survive the experience!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sometimes it still gets me how i was reading the most bleh story in Spider-Man and one of the best in silver surfer and they were both written by the same guy at the same time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Sometimes it still gets me how i was reading the most bleh story in Spider-Man and one of the best in silver surfer and they were both written by the same guy at the same time

Did it cause you to look within and realize the silver surfer story was also bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No still owns

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, Silver Surfer is delightful. Defenders is solid. Doesn't light the world on fire, but it's worth checking out if you're curious.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I guess editorial mandated that She-Hulk be funny again because she's arguing with the narrator and getting stuck in romcom scenarios again. She's been slowly recovering from Civil War II trauma but the shift in the last two issues feels pretty sudden.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Grey Area posted:

I guess editorial mandated that She-Hulk be funny again because she's arguing with the narrator and getting stuck in romcom scenarios again. She's been slowly recovering from Civil War II trauma but the shift in the last two issues feels pretty sudden.

That is her status quo, so it makes sense that she'd default back to that doesn't it?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Especially since the book's gonna be renamed She-Hulk next issue because why bother committing to the big thing you've been talking about for so much as a whole year

Anyway, I would almost be willing to place a bet that the Osborn Magic Stuff going on in Spider-Man right now is gonna lead to him getting some kind of cursed/demonic magical power that makes him hulk out, have green skin and demonic horns, and fire powers. So we can have Ultimate Green Goblin.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The writing has been strong enough thus far that I'm not in a total panic over the tonal whiplash but I am hoping there's a solid plan behind it. She hasn't done the fourth-wall breaking thing in ages has she? I mean like, three or four volumes of solo series ages.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Lord posted:

That is her status quo, so it makes sense that she'd default back to that doesn't it?

Yes, and I'm very thankful for that. Not that I didn't like the introspective of the first story arc, but it got tedious quickly. Now, if they change her from dumb rage Hulk back to green lawyer Hulk I'm happy.

Everyone in the Inhumans: Once and Future Kings book looks like they have a cold and/or are alcoholics. Both artists really have taken the "human noses are slightly redder due to bloodflow" to an extreme. Which is a shame, because otherwise I love especially Noto's art.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm still finding Hulk to be very compelling, because Jen's trauma is still central, without overwhelming the book. I enjoyed this past issue and it's more manic feel, and The Leader attacking should be a good way to move slightly away from the well-executed claustrophobic and oppressive tone to a more Shulkie tone, without cheapening that core trauma that Jen is ignoring/suppressing.

Huge issue in All-New Wolverine, though I also appreciated the touches Juann Cabal threw in with the 'Mullet Proof' t-shirt and Gabby's comics titles. Very excited for this arc though, ANW and a couple of other books used the Legacy theme really well.
Runaways is still pitch-perfect so far to me, and Gwenpool, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl and Deadpool all continued their good form.

Uncanny Avengers has a lot of interesting plotlines (especially the romantic ones) that I hope get developed naturally, even with the big weekly Avengers thingy hitting in a few months. Maybe it will be like when the X-Men had an event and things changed/progressed during and after, but more likely there will be another 'totally not an event' shortly afterwards. Still though, Zub is definitely doing some solid work, and Izaakse is a fantastic artist and I'm always pleased when cool creatives get big chances, event fatigue aside.

I see that Bunn is planning to use the Poisons more in an annual, which doesn't excite me after Venomverse fell on it's face after the Edge of issues.
Beyond the art, I'm still iffy on The Defenders as I'm finding Diamondback and his (overused) backer rather tedious, and I'm finding the book very inconsistent with regards to consequences of injuries and cheap cliffhangers. There is a good book here, but for me it's being Bendis'd a bit. For example, it's cool he provided this insight, but it's so him to put in multiple paragraphs instead of one: http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/166332312972/behind-the-scenes-defenders-number-six-this-is

To end on a positive though after a great week of comics, Bobbi and Peter are pretty cute together. :3:

radlum
May 13, 2013
Read Falcon, thought it was OK. Whatever happened to Sam's previous sidekick, the guy that was turned into a birdman and was the new Falcon? Also, where did this new Patrior first appear?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

radlum posted:

Read Falcon, thought it was OK. Whatever happened to Sam's previous sidekick, the guy that was turned into a birdman and was the new Falcon? Also, where did this new Patrior first appear?

New Patriot showed up in Secret Empire, but was first hinted at during Captain Falcon when he gave his big speech after the bullshit with Rage. Also he offhandedly mentions that the other Patriot is unusable due to some rights issues or something along with everyone directly connected to Isaiah Bradley comfortably retired somewhere out in Arizona or something?

The Other Falcon was also part of the Champions during that, but is in creative limbo now, really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

Everyone talks about how good Defenders is. Will I enjoy it even if I'm not really interested in any of the four heroes and don't read any of these characters' other books? I know that's a hell of a qualifier, but after this thread got me in Moon Knight, I'll listen to opinions here.
It kiiinda spins out the Luke Cage & Iron Fist series that ended before it started, but other than that, I don't think you really need to know much. It's just a good street-level book done well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Zdarsky's Spider-Man is serving up some pathos

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/919227619085815808

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Soonmot posted:

You're new so I'll break it down for you: Dan Slott is a Bad Writer. He used to be good, but something changed and now he's poo poo. For Good Slott, check out his run on She-Hulk.

Also, don't let our opinions on Slott being The Worst, deter you from enjoying the book. Welcome to the hobby, hope you survive the experience!

Late, but thanks! The trick so far is going to be how long I can stand being six months behind before I break my wallet.

Speaking of which, I'll check out She-Hulk, thanks for the tip.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Random question for someone with Marvel Unlimited-- How much of the Peter David Incredible Hulk run (331-467) is on Unlimited? I want to get screen caps for a project, but there doesn't seem to be a way to check what's available without shelling out for the service. Also two other random issues (Web of Spider-Man 44, X-Factor 76) since they were crossovers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rkajdi posted:

Random question for someone with Marvel Unlimited-- How much of the Peter David Incredible Hulk run (331-467) is on Unlimited? I want to get screen caps for a project, but there doesn't seem to be a way to check what's available without shelling out for the service. Also two other random issues (Web of Spider-Man 44, X-Factor 76) since they were crossovers.

All those are available.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think I might finally get marvel unlimited this year if they have another Xmas sale.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lobok posted:

All those are available.

Hunh. And here I was worried, since the line I heard was Unlimited was missing a huge pile of classic 80s and 90s comics. Seem interesting enough to get me to start a subscription.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I mean theres a lot of blank spots so if your interested in reading a particular run than you should ask before buying. It's a huge catalog that updates every monday with 30+ issues but there are some gaps in things like Spider-man and X-men bing an impossible mess in the 90s. I do imagine that almost every comic oublished after 2000 is on there.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

rkajdi posted:

Hunh. And here I was worried, since the line I heard was Unlimited was missing a huge pile of classic 80s and 90s comics. Seem interesting enough to get me to start a subscription.

They have most of the popular classics that you can easily get in print. They're still missing some things I'd like, such as the 90s J.M. DeMatteis Silver Surfer, but most worthwhile comics from that period are up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The way they go about adding back issues doesn't always have an obvious rhyme or reason to it but there are events in real life that clearly trigger the uploading of certain issues. Whole runs of Cable comics have gone up recently, probably in advance of the new Deadpool movie. Len Wein just passed away and a bunch of oldies he wrote just went up.

rkajdi posted:

Unless it was actually your job to read comics all day everyday I don't think you could ever run out of good stuff to read on MU.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lobok posted:

Unless it was actually your job to read comics all day everyday I don't think you could ever run out of good stuff to read on MU.

I agree, but I'm using it for something different. As in, a buddy and I are doing a deep dive podcast that goes through "good" runs of stuff ala Jay & Miles or Titan Up the Defense. So I want to have decent scans to create a visual companion out of, and Marvel Unlimited seems like the best legal option, and is certainly higher quality than any scan you're going to find via :files: Our first thing was going to be the PAD Hulk run, since it was fairly long but held together quality-wise at least until the end of the Pantheon stuff. Depending on how it gets taken, the goal is to do different seasons, each one covering a different run that's either definitive of just very good. Think Grant Morrison's Batman or the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League. I'm more of a generalized comics fan (really a fan of good authors) anyway, so being stuck talking about the same book for years probably wouldn't be as interesting to me. And the actually decent stuff has already been staked out by people who would be way better at than I am anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Has this been posted before because :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe in the funny panels thread, I forget. A lot of those Zdarsky variants are good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There were, like, ten of those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Daredevil one is by far the best.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

There were, like, ten of those.

20, actually:

1. ALL-NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11
2. ALL NEW WOLVERINE #25
3. BLACK PANTHER #166
4. CABLE #150
5. CAPTAIN MARVEL #125
6. CHAMPIONS #13
7. DAREDEVIL #27
8. DEFENDERS #6
9. FALCON #1
10. GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE #21
11. HAWKEYE #11
12. INCIVIBLE IRON MAN #593
13. MIGHTY THOR #700
14. PUNISHER: THE PLATOON #1
15. ROYALS #9
16. SPIDER-GWEN #25
17. SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE #1
18. THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #25
19. VENOM #155
20. X-MEN: GOLD #13

(I can't find them all)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

So many good covers.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Hi, I have another question but I'm hoping I can learn how to learn the answer myself in the future.

So when Peter takes back his body from Otto, I'm assuming there's a point where he tells Anna Maria what happened, but it seems to be stuffed away in a book other than the main series.

What's the best way to track down a particular plot point like that? I just want to see it, is all.

Also, those covers are fantastic.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 17, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you sure it's not in amazing? I could swear that happens there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/EW/status/919968732923006976

UUUUUH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Celery Jello posted:

Hi, I have another question but I'm hoping I can learn how to learn the answer myself in the future.

So when Peter takes back his body from Otto, I'm assuming there's a point where he tells Anna Maria what happened, but it seems to be stuffed away in a book other than the main series.

What's the best way to track down a particular plot point like that? I just want to see it, is all.

What issue are you on? Superior ends at 31 and becomes Amazing, but on Marvel Unlimited it's confusing because during the Spider-Verse event the Superior Spider-Man title comes back as a spin-off and revives the same issue numbering. On Marvel Unlimited there is issue 32 directly after 31 but those comics are actually four months apart and you're supposed to have switched to reading Amazing Spider-Man after 31. The MU site/app isn't smart enough to send you to the right comic, it goes to the "next" Superior issue even though it's not.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread