Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's loving dumb you have to pay to read ieee standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

abigserve posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

abigserve posted:

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Even worse with ISO standards, which has actual national standards bodies making up the bulk of the organization. You would think that countries would have a vested interest in ensuring that their citizens could do business and follow international standards without forking over cash just to learn what those standards are.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
so, having worked with people who were anal about buying ISO/IEEE standards, is there recourse if you don't shell out the 10x:10bux:-per-seat for them?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

RFC2324 posted:

WPA2 was known to be insecure prior to this?

lol at using wifi at all for anything that matters, but most places I have been everyone who mattered used a laptop, which means being on wifi at least sometimes.

at our office wifi only gives you access to internet and the printer

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/919856214867173376

https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/919858447138611200

shaggar was right

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah wpa_supplicant has already been patched:

quote:

Attacks: Forcing Nonce Reuse in WPA2.

CVE-2017-13077: reinstallation of the pairwise key in the Four-way handshake

CVE-2017-13078: reinstallation of the group key in the Four-way handshake

CVE-2017-13079: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Four-way handshake

CVE-2017-13080: reinstallation of the group key in the Group Key handshake

CVE-2017-13081: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Group Key handshake

CVE-2017-13082: accepting a retransmitted Fast BSS Transition Reassociation Request and reinstalling the pairwise key while processing it

CVE-2017-13086: reinstallation of the Tunneled Direct-Link Setup (TDLS) PeerKey (TPK) key in the TDLS handshake

CVE-2017-13087: reinstallation of the group key (GTK) when processing a Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame

CVE-2017-13088: reinstallation of the integrity group key (IGTK) when processing a Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

abigserve posted:

if only there was some sort of scientific hub or something where you could read papers and standards without paying

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

so, having worked with people who were anal about buying ISO/IEEE standards, is there recourse if you don't shell out the 10x:10bux:-per-seat for them?

if people are anal about buying them, they won’t be happy otherwise

when I implemented sql a couple years back I found a working committee's drafts on their website for free and just used those, because basic sql poo poo (SELECT select-list FROM collection WHERE conditions) wasn’t going to be part of their changes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
TPM is broken too...again. What a weekend

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah the infineon flaw was in the pipeline for a while: https://crocs.fi.muni.cz/public/papers/rsa_ccs17

eta until someone puts 2 and 2 together with the tampered crypto chips in a big distributor nsa were bragging about internally

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

how is it a flaw in wpa2 if it doesn't affect all clients?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do those clients do something exceeding the WPA2 specification?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
cool

oneplus has been phoning home with all sorts of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

do those clients do something exceeding the WPA2 specification?
looks like the opposite, they ignore parts of the spec

from a quick glance at the paper it goes like this:
Theres some stupid poo poo in wpa2, specifically it allows key-reuse
Windows and IOS, being security oriented, do not implement the key-reuse portions of wpa2
Linux, being security incapable, implements it fully because of autism
Key-reuse allows people to re-use keys which is loving retarded and leaves you vulnerable to replay attacks.
In this way anyone w/ the full spec implementation (Linux) is vulnerable, and those who avoided it are ok.

so this is great because its absolutely a flaw in the design of wpa2 (and a glaring one at that), but security conscious os designers noticed and mitigated the flaws from the start.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phone posted:

cool

oneplus has been phoning home with all sorts of poo poo

only idiots find this news

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hahaha https://twitter.com/thehill/status/919913359616675841

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

either the madam reads this thread or it is truly visionary

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cinci zoo sniper posted:

only idiots find this news

*extremely adam jensen voice*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

god drat she is the worst

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

god drat she is the worst

if she simply went away the dems might stand a chance in 2020 but lol at that happening

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
so the krack attack does not apply to windows clients, but does both parties need to be vulnerable for this attack to work? or is having a cheapo router that's vulnerable enough?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

if she simply went away the dems might stand a chance in 2020 but lol at that happening

yeah that's not in the democrat party DNA. If the more people tell them they're wrong about something or someone, the harder they double down on it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Never forget DEC :911:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's not in the democrat party DNA. If the more people tell them they're wrong about something or someone, the harder they double down on it

she is the definition of brand poison

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ymgve posted:

so the krack attack does not apply to windows clients, but does both parties need to be vulnerable for this attack to work? or is having a cheapo router that's vulnerable enough?

at this point it seems like the AP doesn't play a role at all outside of it using wpa2. this is all client side so if you're on windows your fine and if you're on Linux you're in trouble unless you're on ios.

What i'd like to see more than anything is the decision making that went into ignoring the spec, specifically wrt ios/osx cause osx implements some of it and ios doesn't but why would they have different wifi implementations?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

it's actually multiple different vulns and i'm not sure anyone in this thread actually thought about this hard enough yet to tell you one way or the other

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

not that they won't try, lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

she is the definition of brand poison

they're gonna run her again in 2020 lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats nice tho is people who were defending her against everyone who hated her pre-election are now starting to see the same things pre-election haters did.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

whats nice tho is people who were defending her against everyone who hated her pre-election are now starting to see the same things pre-election haters did.

i mean, i voted for her and if the 2020 election is her v. trump i'll vote for her again but gently caress how blind can the dems be to not see she is absolutely poisoned as a candidate. there is no undoing the damage her brand took in the last election cycle.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's actually multiple different vulns and i'm not sure anyone in this thread actually thought about this hard enough yet to tell you one way or the other

its basically the same flaw in multiple parts of the spec so technically maybe different vulnerabilities, but the same root design flaws. whats really weird is osx implements one of the vulnerabilities, but not others and ios is different.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mrgretzky/status/919883806475194368

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i mean, i voted for her and if the 2020 election is her v. trump i'll vote for her again but gently caress how blind can the dems be to not see she is absolutely poisoned as a candidate. there is no undoing the damage her brand took in the last election cycle.

excuse me but you are attacking the democrat brand which means you are a republican so i don't have to listen to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

looks like the opposite, they ignore parts of the spec

from a quick glance at the paper it goes like this:
Theres some stupid poo poo in wpa2, specifically it allows key-reuse
Windows and IOS, being security oriented, do not implement the key-reuse portions of wpa2
Linux, being security incapable, implements it fully because of autism
Key-reuse allows people to re-use keys which is loving retarded and leaves you vulnerable to replay attacks.
In this way anyone w/ the full spec implementation (Linux) is vulnerable, and those who avoided it are ok.

so this is great because its absolutely a flaw in the design of wpa2 (and a glaring one at that), but security conscious os designers noticed and mitigated the flaws from the start.

shaggar was right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

how about that "iOS and Windows are still vulnerable to the group key handshake" bit

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pardot posted:

this krack thing is going to suck, isn't it? ughhhh

Not really. It doesn't recover the network key and it requires the rogue client to be active during the 4-way handshake, and even in the worse case of removing the encryption of the wireless packets, you now have presumably encrypted traffic, such as https/ssh/vpn. Anything that is plain-text doesn't really matter anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

It affects APs that act as wifi clients (range extenders, etc), also there's a server side flaw in 802.11r.

Of everything in my house, only one cheapo 802.11ac extender is presumed "won't be patched within a month" trashwear, and you need an active attacker inside wifi range (a compromised client counts), so it's a big deal due to IOT devices for people who have a lot, but still pretty whatever.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 16, 2017

• Locked thread