Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Young Freud posted:

The other thing about the why the pregnancy is so important to the resistance depends on if Deckard is a human or not. While a replicant Deckard means that replicants can breed with each other and it's just presumably a lost art, a replicant-human hybrid means that replicants can breed with humans until their DNA is indistiguishable, intermingling to the point the whole last ideological barrier is rendered moot.

The ability of e.g. white and black people to have children with one another sure as poo poo didn't prevent the erection of ideological barriers between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The best Blade Runner game is Snatcher.

feedmyleg posted:

I did read a couple months back that Dune's greenlight was resting on the shoulders on 2049's success. So I wouldn't count on Dune actually happening anytime soon.

Good, I want Denis backed in a corner so he has to do Bond. I'm a selfish person.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bond seems like such a dull franchise for Villeneuve's talent. Especially compared with the potential of an undertaking as crazy as Dune.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The PC Blade Runner was so good, maybe the game in development 'The Last Night' can live up to it

https://youtu.be/pupdeq1MoVw

If it actually gets finished

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

who cares about finance? i bet a lot of people made money off blade runner 2049 being a bomb by shorting it on the stock market or whatever.

My knee-jerk reaction is to agree with you. I really don't care about faceless corporations losing cash to give us something worthwhile that never recoups their investment. But at the same time, a big, expensive movie that fails probably doesn't hurt them all that much. The movie could be a box office bomb but the subhuman dog-fuckers at the top will still make their millions by just loving over the people below them.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

mlmp08 posted:

Yes? Good that no one's going bankrupt over it, but that doesn't even cover marketing yet. Crushed may be too hard a word, but it's decidedly off target for the price and marketing that went into it.

Hollywood numbers are weird. On one hand the $150 million number does not include any marketing costs, which for movies like Star Wars can actually double the final costs. On another hand, $150 million is the reported number and doesn't take into account Hollywood accounting bullshit. And finally studios get a variable cut of the international revenue (in China it is a very small percentage, in other places it is higher and no one is very up front about the real numbers). Studios also get a variable amount of the domestic box office. Apparently they get close to 100% of the take in the first week and the theatre itself gets a higher cut as weeks progress. That means movies that have strong legs are less profitable than ones that do huge openings.

So yeah no one will really know how much Blade Runner makes, but odds are now that it just breaks even. Which isn't bad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It'll need some good legs to break even, which this weekend's heavy drop and upcoming films like Thor make unlikely. But fingers crossed?

The international rates are even variable between films. A few recent action films have been Chinese co-productions which makes China and a few other Asian regions more profitable than is typical. That doesn't really apply to BR2049 though, it was riding heavily on the domestic take. Maaaaybe it'll be a runaway hit with long legs in Japan next week, but it'd have to be near Alice in Wonderland levels to even things out.

I'm kind of okay with the film not doing too hot because I don't want to see this become a cinematic universe (as Scott Free was supposedly considering). At the same time, I wish it hadn't bombed as hard because I like seeing more adult films get this kind of scope and production quality and bombs like this don't help. And I'd like to see Villeneuve have the freedom to do whatever he wants in the future.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In hindsight I think I'd like to see a studio version. There's a lot of fat to trim. Also some weird stuff like barely covering how K gets back from Vegas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mantis42 posted:

I was gonna say, much like Alien, the official(ish) Blade Runner games are far fewer and less interesting than the wealth of games they inspired.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

In hindsight I think I'd like to see a studio version. There's a lot of fat to trim. Also some weird stuff like barely covering how K gets back from Vegas.

The Resistance finds him and brings him back. They show it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah, Mariette plants a tracking device on him after the threesome with the hologram.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

starkebn posted:

The PC Blade Runner was so good, maybe the game in development 'The Last Night' can live up to it

Considering the lead designer's thematic aspirations for the game are "what happens when progressiveness goes too far" I loving doubt it. That's like, the most uncyberpunk thing I can think of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

starkebn posted:

The premise of the game is that universal basic income and feminism created a dystopian nightmare where people are no longer creative or imaginative, so probably not

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Well, to actually mention something from this amazing film, it's funny how Luv mocks K for being a dog when one of her tasks was literally to fetch bones for Wallace

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't that the premise of that white supremacist novel Hunter? Yeesh. What a shame, had been seeing screenshots for that around and thought it looked pretty neat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huzanko posted:

The Resistance finds him and brings him back. They show it.

That's what I meant, it's barely covered.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

The most important part is that it will likely kill all momentum for potential sequels, and prevent Villeneuve from getting stuck in sci fi. I sincerely hope the Dune remake doesn't pan out.

I do not want a sequel to this movie.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Arglebargle III posted:

That's what I meant, it's barely covered.

What more do you need? “The movie is bloated, let’s bloat some dead simple stuff because it’s barely shown or explained.”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not that it needs further explanation.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not that it needs further explanation.

What is it then? In one post you say that you want the film to be edited to trim the fat, and in the next you want an extra scene added that wouldn't add anything to the movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's about a step away from wanting to see a "Jack Bauer taking a piss" sequence in 24.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Good, I want Denis backed in a corner so he has to do Bond. I'm a selfish person.

Yeah let's have him work on the most generic and overly managed franchise of all time. I'm sure he'll somehow make that obligatory two limpid sex scenes A+ cinema.

And people crowing about this movie doing badly is super weird to me. Like, all his other efforts were good at worst, why limit his choices at this point in his run?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dune would be amazing, please let him make Dune. And bring Deakins along for good measure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Serf posted:

My knee-jerk reaction is to agree with you. I really don't care about faceless corporations losing cash to give us something worthwhile that never recoups their investment. But at the same time, a big, expensive movie that fails probably doesn't hurt them all that much. The movie could be a box office bomb but the subhuman dog-fuckers at the top will still make their millions by just loving over the people below them.
The issue, of course, is a practical one. The people at the "top" (i.e. corporate officers with decision-making authority) need to be convinced that they can make a profit for their shareholders by funding films like this one, or else they won't get made. Such is capitalism.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 16, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You want the movies to be so successful they keep making them, but not so successful that they deem it a cash cow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I was gonna say, much like Alien, the official(ish) Blade Runner games are far fewer and less interesting than the wealth of games they inspired.

I think this is kind of unfair considering the dozens of shouldn't have even been released levels of bad games that were inspired by them too. I mean Alien and Blade Runner are two of the most influential movies ever made, even if there was a new official game for each annually there'd still be way more decent to good inspired-bys out there on top of all of the shovelware.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I think this is kind of unfair considering the dozens of shouldn't have even been released levels of bad games that were inspired by them too. I mean Alien and Blade Runner are two of the most influential movies ever made, even if there was a new official game for each annually there'd still be way more decent to good inspired-bys out there on top of all of the shovelware.
If you average out everything inspired by a popular franchise, it's going to be numbingly mediocre, sure. There are numerous official Alien games, some good and some bad. But that's not why I'm saying that the official stuff is less interesting. Rather, it's hard for the games to live up to expectations. Because by the time they had their poo poo together and released some good games, most of what you'd want an official Alien game to do had already been done, unofficially. Several official games were released prior to 1990, but Project Firestart was already a survival horror classic, and Contra was a classic shooter, both better than any official games released up to that point.

Aliens may be a special case, because a portion of its audience has weird expectations. Since Aliens, they're confused that the following films aren't action movies with straightforward plotting.

Anyway, Blade Runner only spawned one official game, a point-and-click adventure, and a lousy shooter based on a dodgy license of the soundtrack. So all of its cultural cache is in the games it inspired. By the time the official game was released, the Tex Murphy and Snatcher/Policenaut series were well-established, not to mention Manhunter and all the games that just copied its aesthetic, like Syndicate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only aspect at the film that is giving me pause the more I think about it is the concept of incept dates and limited lifespans. This is such a central and important idea to the original, but basically every important replicant involved in this story presumably must have some handwaved away reason as to why they're still alive in 2049. I could understand K who is "programmed to obey" and thus maybe doesn't need such limitations. Sapper, the resistance leader, possibly even Deckard himself, all of them have been alive for 30+ years.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Considering the lead designer's thematic aspirations for the game are "what happens when progressiveness goes too far" I loving doubt it. That's like, the most uncyberpunk thing I can think of.

guys just putting this out here but they've already stated that the feminist angle was cut from the game long ago.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The only aspect at the film that is giving me pause the more I think about it is the concept of incept dates and limited lifespans. This is such a central and important idea to the original, but basically every important replicant involved in this story presumably must have some handwaved away reason as to why they're still alive in 2049. I could understand K who is "programmed to obey" and thus maybe doesn't need such limitations. Sapper, the resistance leader, possibly even Deckard himself, all of them have been alive for 30+ years.

K could be extremely young, but Sapper was part of the series of replicants mentioned in the opening that don't have limited lifespans. Theoretically, Deckard could have been one too, along with Rachel.

Ersatz posted:

The issue, of course, is a practical one. The people at the "top" (i.e. corporate officers with decision-making authority) need to be convinced that they can make a profit for their shareholders by funding films like this one, or else they won't get made. Such is capitalism.

Death to capitalism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Eh. It covers this in the opening text. All the old replicants that are left are from a batch of open-ended Nexus 8 prototypes. In the first movie, it's initially implied that Rachel is the first of these, but then if Deckard is a replicant, it's also implied that a lot of what we're told about the use and status of replicants is false. So I don't think it's a stretch to guess that Tyrell was producing other replicants with no lifespan illegally. I'm glad this movie goes on to be different.

One of the themes in this movie is that replicants take too long to make and mass production can't keep up with demand. It's entirely possible that Tyrell was experimenting with open-ended lifespan replicants who were simply mindwiped after 4 years, both to keep them in line, and also to pass them off as new ones. Sure this is all just speculation, but considering the nature of the differences between the two films and the explicit gap in memory between them, I feel like it's a pretty reasonable line of thinking.

For as much as I felt this movie was a disappointment and was way too long, it certainly worked on me. 24 hours later I'm still seeing images and scenes from it playing over in my head.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't it that replicants were originally had non-limited lifespans, but then had them implemented after an uprising (which also got them banned from Earth)?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I was half-expecting the twist in this movie to be that a bunch of the "new replicants" were actually just people who had had their memories erased and had serial numbers stamped on their genetic tissue. That the blackout allowed for mass erasure of huge swaths of the poor and their conversion into replicants. There's obviously a lot of holes in that theory, it was just something kicking around in my head during the movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

Death to capitalism.
Death to Allegra Gellar!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bardeh posted:

What is it then? In one post you say that you want the film to be edited to trim the fat, and in the next you want an extra scene added that wouldn't add anything to the movie.

I would engage but man your posting style suggests that you won't ever accept any answer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Death to Allegra Gellar!

Death to the Demoness Allegra Gellar!

God that movie is good.

edit: Another thing that I like about BR2049 is that it shows how, even in a world with a literal slave race of subservient machines, there are still sweatshops full of human child labor. It cries a big, fat "FALSE!" on capitalist futurist claims of automation being a relief for the working class. The military industrial complex is alive and well.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 16, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinding Johansson posted:

I for one hadn't considered that while replicants are programmed slaves, the only thing clearly keeping them in line is the threat of being retired. Their being programed people never comes into the picture. You might think that implanted memories or computer girlfriends would be used as a means of social control, but apparently that's not the case.

Did K buy Joi or was she purposefully given to him? Does K have memories that would encourage obedience or deference? Does K have to follow something like Asimov's three laws? I have no idea the answer to any of those.

If you go by the plot / expository dialogue, then the obedience is supposedly a combination of a ‘normal’ human lifespan and the artificial memories (whereas Rachel was ‘raised as human’ - given human memories, which are now illegal.) Basically, the company just eliminated Roy and Rachel’s motivations for escaping, by simply treating the slaves better.

However, this does little to explain why disobedience is supposedly impossible.

Narratively, the ‘explanation’ is in the aesthetic. Joseph K. has dropped out of symbolic reality and now occupies the post-apocalyptic robot dimension - a subjective reality that he patrols without passion. The issue is not that Joseph K. is too committed to the police force, but the opposite: he is the ultimate cynic, with no belief whatsoever in concepts of Law or Justice. His superior officer is, to him, just a boring woman, with none of the ‘aura’ you would expect of an authority figure. The film beats you over the head with how he is unable to believe.

“Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, the blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned; the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. Surely some revelation is at hand; surely the Second Coming is at hand.”

We should note that the robot rebellion and the stupid corporate baddies share the same motivation - both are too passionate, too fundamentalist. (Blade Runner 2’s ending is a weaker, more pointlessly ‘ambiguous’ version of that of Hunger Games 4.)

So it is not the artifical memories that program Joseph K.. It is, rather, the fact that he is told they are artificial and therefore not to be taken seriously.

There’s actually a quick shot, in the film, of Nabokov’s ‘cells within cells’: when Joseph K. scans the dead city and discovers a beehive. We see, on the IR display, a cloud of tiny grey dots on a black background - and, inexplicably, the gigantic hand of a female statue, glowing white with heat. “And dreadfully distinct, against the dark, a tall white fountain played.” The belief stems from an error.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Death to the Demoness Allegra Gellar!

God that movie is good.

edit: Another thing that I like about BR2049 is that it shows how, even in a world with a literal slave race of subservient machines, there are still sweatshops full of human child labor. It cries a big, fat "FALSE!" on capitalist futurist claims of automation being a relief for the working class. The military industrial complex is alive and well.

Exactly. Automation just allows for further segmenting. There will always be people who can't afford the machines who will thus employ humans. The human employees will just have a lower standard of living due to automation.

See the real-life version of the BR2049's salvage workers: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ges-phones.html

quote:

Young men sift through the mountains of scraps in landfills like Agbogbloshie (pictured), hoping to find something worth selling in local markets

It's already 2049. America just hasn't realized it yet.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Nate RFB posted:

There's a thing in the opening scroll where Tyrell had actually figured out how to make open-ended lifespans with the Nexus-8 line, though what that means is something else entirely about it all. Rachel is dead, no brainer on that, but it seems all the ones that interacted with Deckard and her afterward were Nexus-8s.
Might imply that Tyrell had the ability to do it but was lying to Roy Batty, or it wasn't something they could just slap on top of a Nexus-6 or whatever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I for one hadn't considered that while replicants are programmed slaves, the only thing clearly keeping them in line is the threat of being retired. Their being programed people never comes into the picture. You might think that implanted memories or computer girlfriends would be used as a means of social control, but apparently that's not the case.
They specifically mention in the movie that the implanted memories are important to make them stable. I think

quote:

Did K buy Joi or was she purposefully given to him? Does K have memories that would encourage obedience or deference? Does K have to follow something like Asimov's three laws? I have no idea the answer to any of those.

This is a really good question. I assumed that K bought Joi, but that might not be the case. As another poster pointed out, we have no idea how old K is. This made me think that it's entirely possible that when K goes to his apartment for the first time in the film, it could actually be the first time he's going there. It's entirely possible that he was activated immediately before going to kill Sapper. I don't really think that that's necessarily the case, but it's a neat thing to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Did K buy Joi or was she purposefully given to him?

Funny because that's the exact same question Wallace poses to Deckard re: Rachael.

• Locked thread