Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Make Pascal the non-dateable friend. 6O is obviously the best girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jeez, you guys are so cruel. You're leaving out some very important characters!

Pod 153 posted:

Proposal: Notice me, sempai.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
What would a Yoko Taro Adult video look like? Game of Thrones with even more loving and even more death?

As for the dating sim idea, remember that he said he would kill all the characters.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AweStriker posted:

Wait I thought Pascal was also female-coded.

Nope, Pascal is male. Voiced by a woman, but hey he's a robot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stephen9001 posted:

As for the dating sim idea, remember that he said he would kill all the characters.

I fail to see the drawback here.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

AweStriker posted:

Female voice, but is a dude. Like Mikhail.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

AweStriker posted:

She's a boy.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Pascal is named after this dude. Pascal is the second best boy.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

the entire thread posted:

Pascal's a guy

Okay, thank you. Especially thank you for not attacking me over it like what happened the last time I misgendered a fictional character.

ZiegeDame posted:

Pascal is named after this dude. Pascal is the second best boy.

As a maths-and-computer-science person, Blaise Pascal did some good work.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ryushikaze posted:

Female voice, but is a dude. Like Mikhail.

And Emil. It's weird to me people question Pascal's gender because he's just another in the line of male characters with guys' names voiced by women in Taro games

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

What would a Yoko Taro Adult video look like?

Doki Doki Literature Club

Absum
May 28, 2013

Personally I think Pascal is agender. The only scene I remember that even maybe sort of has anything to do with gender would be repairing the woman from the wandering couple? Did I forget something or what?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The free machines seem to openly express a gender identity though. Not all of them do for sure but it seems common enough.

IIRC Pascal also has a "polite older guy" type of writing in Japanese but I could be misremembering.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Everyone refers to Pascal as "he" and he hasn't corrected them yet.
Even in Japanese he has a very obviously feminine voice so it must be intentional.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Absum posted:

Personally I think Pascal is agender. The only scene I remember that even maybe sort of has anything to do with gender would be repairing the woman from the wandering couple? Did I forget something or what?

Other characters refer to Pascal as 'he' when talking about him, but that's about it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nina posted:

And Emil. It's weird to me people question Pascal's gender because he's just another in the line of male characters with guys' names voiced by women in Taro games

Well Emil and Mikhail are both kinda coded as children

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Absum posted:

Pascal is male.
Him having a female voice is a not subtle message that appearances can be deceiving and that they don't define an individual.

HellCopter posted:

Everyone refers to Pascal as "he" and he hasn't corrected them yet.
Even in Japanese he has a very obviously feminine voice so it must be intentional.

He doesn't just have any old feminine voice, he's voiced by Aoi Yuuki, who is basically THE cutesy female voice in the Japanese voice acting industry. Takahisa Taura said he refused to work on the game unless she was in it, and she said shortly after release that she'd completed it three times. She's the greatest.

Even if you much prefer English voice acting, the Japanese voice acting in this game is worth a playthrough for. It's masterful. It comes with the bonus of getting to play more NieR: Automata too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 16, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
In Japanese "2B" also sounds a lot more like "Toobie" which makes me smile

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The english dub is good for the most part, but there is one particular line reading that I believe worked a lot better with the original Japanese voice actor. I’ll try to remember to post about it whenever we get there.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I generally prefer how japanese 2B comes off as more of just awkward and confused about how social interaction works than a cold hard professional when it comes to interactions with 6O.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pascal is male.
Him having a female voice is a not subtle message that appearances can be deceiving and that they don't define an individual.

Did you hear this in an interview or something? You don't have to source things but c'mon I asked if I'd missed anything and both other people gave an answer to that, just restating something as fact doesn't help me understand why it is so.

Anyway I can't very easily go through the entire game just to check but in the LP so far only 9S refers to Pascal as him and I don't believe Pascal can hear it either time (one of them is kinda ambiguous imo).

What I did find is the kids calling him Uncle which is enough to assume male imo. I do think that that makes the scene I mentioned in the previous post a bit weird but I guess we can explain that with Pascal being a machine and not an android or Pascal being the one who needs to repair her, either works.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
He’s a robot and this might be the actual worst derail short of turning into a debate on Israel/Palestine

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KamikazePotato posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club

DDLC lacks the crucial "weird babies of destruction" component to make it a Yokogame

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I selected a female voice actor because one of the settings for Pascal is that he "chose a voice that would soothe children." However, in actuality, it was because Taura-san [Takahisa Taura], the game designer at PlatinumGames who created Automata with me, declared, "I will not work if you do not use the voice actress, Aoi Yuuki."

He's choosing to give an impression of something that he technically isn't and it gives people a different impression of him. This is based in real life impressions and pre-conceptions of parenting roles.

I'm not linking this interview because it will spoil the rest of the game, but the end of this answer gives the real takeaway from most of the things in a Taro game.

"I would like the people that played the game to think about it."

You should be able to find the interview by googling that first paragraph or searching Yoko Taro Waypoint Pascal, but as said, spoiler warning.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

New Music: Significance v3

Episode C: Onward to War

Here we are... Route C, for lack of a better term, has arrived. Mind you, there is no Route D. This is the rest of the game incoming hot. We could have just stopped at Route A or B. Everything ended on an OK note. The machines’ leaders were killed. Nobody we cared about died. The world was in an as alright a state as a post-apocalyptic earth that has withstood several millennia straight of a world war can be. It would have been fine.

But no. We just had to keep going... You know it’s not going to end well. You know this... We all know this... We’ve got to fill out that ending list, don’t we? It has to be done. I mean look at this...
  • flowers for m[A]chines
  • or not to [ B ]e
  • C ????
  • D ????
  • E ????
  • mission [F]ailed
  • hun[G]ry for knowledge
  • a mountain too [H]igh
  • no [I] in team
  • bad [J]udgement
  • aji wo [K]utta
  • [L]one wolf
  • M ????
  • [N]o man’s village
  • O ????
  • P ????
  • Q ????
  • R ????
  • S ????
  • fa[T]al error
  • deb[U]nked
  • V ????
  • broken [W]ings
  • X ????
  • Y ????
  • Z ????

That’s terrible looking. All those missing entries... Ugh. Fine. Fiiiiiine... Let’s jump right in. No one stops... It’s way too late to stop. The rollercoaster has already begun its descent...

We’ve confirmed that the network core units known as Adam and Eve have been destroyed.

The enemy’s chain of command has been thrown into complete chaos.

As such, humanity has chosen to seize this opportunity and launch an all-out attack against the machine forces.

Of course, the forces of YoRHa will participate in this endeavor.

Remember your pain. The pain of having your homeland stolen!

We will never give up our struggle.

We will take back the seas! The skies! The land!

We will take back our world from the scourge of the machines!

We will not fail in this mission...

Here and now, we will put an end to this goddamn war!

Glory... to mankind!

Welp. Things have escalated since the conclusion of Route A/B. What? It’s not like Adam and Eve were a Dracula holding together all the enemy forces. This is year 6,933 of war since first contact with the aliens and the 14th total world war against them. It’s easy to forget that when taking photos of flowers for our secretary or being asked where babies come from by child machines.

We’re back to playing as 2B, who has gone from her Gothic Lolita inspired casual outfit to real business Sexy Kerberos Panzer Armor cosplay, as we finally make it to Chapter 11.

Server administrator 3S. Server administrator 3S. Please return to the server administration room as soon as possible to handle a capacity issue. End transmission.
Command to all YoRHa units: Upon descent to surface, proceed to follow all pre-programmed instructions and carry out your operations. To prevent data leakage, communication from the surface is prohibited, except in case of emergency. That is all.

Our current goal is to access the Hangar and get on our Flight Unit to participate in the planetside invasion with the rest of YoRHa. But there’s not actually a rush to do so. Let’s check a few things while we’re back on the Bunker. First up, we did receive a mail we couldn’t access during the Route B ending. Let’s check that out...

It was just a heads up about the imminent earth descent from the non-existent Council of Humanity. If there was ever a time to use their military jingoism sock puppet to boost morale, now is the time.

While we’re on the Bunker, we can talk to other YoRHa soldiers preparing for battle. Nobody has anything particularly interesting to say. They’re all just psyched to go take the fight to the machines and hopefully end the war. There’s quite a bit of “Glory to Mankind!” being thrown around in the process.

With that in mind, we’ll just limit our chat with the named characters present on the Bunker. Starting with the Operators for our duo.

Join up with him on-site and lend support however you can.

I get the feeling 9S is banned from ever setting foot in a flight unit ever again after he kamikazed that last one like a dipshit for absolutely no reason. Heck, murdering the poo poo out of both machine lifeform leaders and being a war hero is probably the only reason 2B is still allowed to man one.

I... I don’t want you to die!

It’s been a long time since we’ve spoke to 6O and her terabyte folders of flowers and rainbows clogging up the YoRHa data servers. Maybe now in Route C we’ll hear some more out of her since we’re back to playing as 2B.

It’s worth noting that not all the YoRHa troopers get the Nazi Stormtrooper helmet for their war equipment. Some of them have OctoCamo gimp suit mask from Metal Gear Solid 4 instead. Weird. Creepy.

Head out from the hangar.
...And good luck.

We’ll try, Commander. But it’s the final storyline path of a Yoko Taro directed game and that’s a dire track record of things going well for anyone involved.

Before we depart and get back on track, it’s worth noting that this military operation is apparently titled “Operation Berlin 046” according to the main command screen. They never mention this outside here. Just a neat factoid. No idea of its significance.

Anyway, that’s about all there is to do on the Bunker. To progress, we need to head up to the hangar and hop aboard our flight unit to get Operation Berlin 046 underway.

Um, can you please try not to puke while we’re in the deep vacuum of space? It’s super gross.

YoRHa remains a very professional military organization. But that’s enough for antics on the Bunker. Our way is clear this go around. No creepy ghost hologram girls loitering on the runway. I’m glad the maintenance crews got on top of that issue.

Good luck!

...our final major operation had begun. Still, at the time, I knew nothing. Not how the battle would end... Nor what fate stood in wait for us.

loving giant cannibal space babies dropping in the middle of things... I mean, honestly... Who could have seen that coming?

Music: The Tower (Quiet)

Um... The Scanners are going to hack into the enemy’s anti-air system and shut it down in advance of an all-out assault, right?
That’s right. Good job, 9S!
Why are you talking to me like I’m a child?
What? That must be your imagination.
Look for machines that are receiving signals from the anti-air system. They should be located in elevated areas with good signal reception. I’ve forwarded the general position of the machine lifeforms you need to hack.
Roger.
<disconnects>

We now have “Air Defense System Operational Level” meter at the top of the screen. So that’s new.

There are six locations scattered across the City Ruins region that 9S has to take care of before 2B and the other YoRHa frontline troops drop onto the battlefield to commence the operation. We can complete these in any order we want, as long as the Operational Level meter is depleted.

Let’s get to it... As soon as we do, Operator 21O contacts 9S again.

No killing the target. Got it.
<disconnects>

OK... You know what? This whole thing has a really bad vibe to it already. That’s not music you play ahead of a large scale battle when things are going to go as planned. No sir...

Not at all. You know what? We’re gonna hop 9S on this moose...

...And skip town. Stuff it, Pod 153. gently caress this noise. I know how these games go. We’re out! Let’s go hang with those drugged out YoRHa girls out in the desert and party until this whole thing blows over. Peace!

...Well, except for the really selfish ones. They were fine.

Friendship has ended with 2B. It’s just 9S and moose from now on. gently caress y’all.

Video: Episode 100 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this.)

YoRHa Assault Uniform Concept Art 1 – If you saw this and your first thought was the Helghast from Killzone, please get the gently caress out of my office. You’re finished here.

YoRHa Assault Uniform Concept Art 1 – Glad they went with the Stormtrooper look instead of Quarian hoods.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Appropriate that episode 100 is the one to open Route C.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The concept art looks more EYE: Divine Cybermancy to me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kavak posted:

Importantly, this is not a bad thing.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Is that a little cat tail I see on the third one?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Analysis: Your legs are broken.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Nines and Moose show didn’t meet with much success, as our android pal accidentally poked it and then got clobbered to death.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Route C, hell yeah.

I like that the stormtrooper uniforms keep the tradition of fancy footwear going

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently all you need to do to get a happy ending in a Yoko Taro game is randomly gently caress off in the middle of a critical operation and leave everyone else to die.

9S doesn't strike me as much of a fisherbot though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pascal is male.

He doesn't just have any old feminine voice, he's voiced by Aoi Yuuki, who is basically THE cutesy female voice in the Japanese voice acting industry. Takahisa Taura said he refused to work on the game unless she was in it, and she said shortly after release that she'd completed it three times. She's the greatest.

Even if you much prefer English voice acting, the Japanese voice acting in this game is worth a playthrough for. It's masterful. It comes with the bonus of getting to play more NieR: Automata too.

She completed it eight times by the concerts. And made a 9S doll. Which she talked to a high end dollmaker about mass producing. And despite having an incredibly busy schedule, she took a day out of it to leave the country to be a special guest at the Taipei Nier concert out of nowhere. (She also thinks that 9S's pouch carries acorns. For feeding to small woodland animals. Taro Yoko suggested in response that it's full of tissues. For... other purposes.)

Aoi Yuuki really likes Nier.

(Some roles you might have heard of: Madoka in Madoka, Tatsumaki in One Punch Man, and Froppy in My Hero Academia. )

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Apparently all you need to do to get a happy ending in a Yoko Taro game is randomly gently caress off in the middle of a critical operation and leave everyone else to die.

9S doesn't strike me as much of a fisherbot though.

or be arioch

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just realized the Commander talks about "The pain of having your homeland stolen" but none of the Androids ever lived on earth before the machines...or did they? What -do- they remember?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I think most of the androids have lived on earth their entire lives. Yorha was the super-special space team.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Woodbeam posted:

Is that a little cat tail I see on the third one?

It's the tassel hanging from the sword's hilt.

E: ...Is what I assumed it was, but the sword itself ppears to be missing.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Kavak posted:

I just realized the Commander talks about "The pain of having your homeland stolen" but none of the Androids ever lived on earth before the machines...or did they? What -do- they remember?

Dunno how many active models are that old, but androids were definitely living on earth before the invasion.

Episode XCIX

The Dark Id posted:

thus assuring an almost immediate occurs of a new threat

Remember you pain.

Episode C

The Dark Id posted:

after he kamikaze that last one

Could be wrong, but I think it's "kamikazed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
the machine village ain't surviving this route is it

like it's kind of incredible the doofuses made it this long but the androids have gone from eerily fascist to full on jackbooted so I just don't think things are looking great for pascal and the gang

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 16, 2017

• Locked thread