Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
it's October, time for sleeveless hoodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Winnie the poo poo posted:

i just lean my phone against my water bottle or stick it inside my other pair of shoes and put the shoe on something :shrug:
Lean your phone against a towel. You can put your phone in insane positions where it would never stand up without a towel. It lets you angle your phone at crazy angles, too. Test it on the floor near a wall or standing object, try it on the rack of those fixie minibarbell things that are like dumbbells, put it on a machine of some kind or the safeties of a squat rack or the dumbbell rack. The possibilities are endless once you start employing a towel as a stabilizer for your phone.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 16, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I don't take my phone into the gym because I'm simultaneously afraid of dropping weights on it and i don't like it when people pay more attention to their phone than their lifts.

So basically, I'm going to lift wrong forever and kill myself that way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I love getting judgy looks when I'm on my phone between sets. Yes, I'm taking 2-3 minutes of rest between sets, yes, I'm browsing the internet while I rest, I don't see why that's such an issue. Half the time I'm on my phone between sets I'm looking at form videos/instructions on the lift I'm currently doing anyway.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Lifting for the first time after ~10 weeks off. How bad am I going to feel?

Tomorrow will be leg day so I'm going to assume I will be wishing I were dead by Wednesday.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So basically, I'm going to lift wrong forever and kill myself that way.

This is right and good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bamhand posted:

Tomorrow will be leg day so I'm going to assume I will be wishing I were dead by Wednesday.

your upper body will be sore; your lower body will be non-functional. Enjoy being mocked for sitting/standing/walking/climbing stairs like a 90-year-old. This will last for 3 or 4 days after your leg day. Enjoy!

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Khorne posted:

Lean your phone against a towel. You can put your phone in insane positions where it would never stand up without a towel. It lets you angle your phone at crazy angles, too. Test it on the floor near a wall or standing object, try it on the rack of those fixie minibarbell things that are like dumbbells, put it on a machine of some kind or the safeties of a squat rack or the dumbbell rack. The possibilities are endless once you start employing a towel as a stabilizer for your phone.

i don't have a gym towel and im running PLP with weak numbers so nothing 2 film :rip:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The worst part is I was in a frat and lived for 2 years with a nationally-ranked bodybuilder who would have been more than happy to coach me into a shredded monster but he died a couple of years ago :(

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

bamhand posted:

i did legs on a Monday after a long break and going downstairs was pretty terrible until i took an epsom salt bath on thurs. legs friday wasn't as bad, getting my legs warm helped the soreness.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kelp Me! posted:

True, not a bad idea, but I'd really love to have someone actually standing next to me as I squat and being like "ok do this/don't do this/move like this"

I’d also love to have someone next to me while I’m working out, whispering sweet nothings and rubbing my ballsack

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kelp Me! posted:

The worst part is I was in a frat and lived for 2 years with a nationally-ranked bodybuilder who would have been more than happy to coach me into a shredded monster but he died a couple of years ago :(

:rip: your potential gains

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

It's not too late to exhume his body and consume his shredded essence

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like to think he's looking down and :chanpop:'ing at me consistently using a food scale

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Imagine how cool and good it would be to have a gymslave that jerked u off while you were hitting new PR's

You could time it so you'd cum just after u drop the weight

how majestic

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Zzulu posted:

Imagine how cool and good it would be to have a gymslave that jerked u off while you were hitting new PR's

You could time it so you'd cum just after u drop the weight

how majestic

Sounds like a business opportunity

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Apprentice Dick posted:

At Planet Fitness if you make too much noise an alarm goes off to shame you into being quiet. Also no stringer tank tops because you might intimidate someone by being in shape and comfortable with your body.

no fuckin way

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grump posted:

no fuckin way

I believe it, the anti-gymbro movement is strong and almost as obnoxious as actual gymbros

I'll take "guy who yells on his way up from squats and drops weights" over "guy who does curls in the squat rack/pullups in the safety rack" tbqh

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Grump posted:

no fuckin way

When I was looking for a place to lift on vacation the reviews for all the planet fitnesses invariably had at least one complaint that they set the alarm off too much.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
That is the craziest poo poo I've ever heard.

Like...who's idea was that? why is that place popular?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Grump posted:

no fuckin way

It's pretty loud too lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXP6WaVTJpM

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Grump posted:

That is the craziest poo poo I've ever heard.

Like...who's idea was that? why is that place popular?
It costs $5/mo, you get free candy, and you get free pizza once per week. On pizza per month value alone it might pay for itself depending on your location.

I might have gotten one of these numbers wrong, but that's the gist of it. It replaced a few legitimate gyms near me. The owners of the local ones had no lunk stuff and kept power racks and bench setups. Corporate forced them to get rid of that stuff within the past few years. Now it's a wasteland of the exact type of people you'd expect. And a few people who are making it work due to the cheap cost.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
holy poo poo the lunk alarm is REAL? i thought it was a jokey ha-ha thing that didn't really happen, like free pizza day.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everything is real in america

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Pizza on the first Monday of the month, bagels on the second Tuesday. So if the month starts on a Tuesday BOOM the following Monday night you get pizza and bagels the next morning.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Pizza on the first Monday of the month, bagels on the second Tuesday. So if the month starts on a Tuesday BOOM the following Monday night you get pizza and bagels the next morning.

I like that the gym specifically designed against people doing heavy lifting provides free food that would be most appropriate for people doing heavy lifting

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Chief McHeath posted:

What about pizza bagels?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ended up making out at 8 reps of 205 for bench. I guess that's not too bad for not lifting a drat things since July. Not looking forward to leg day tomorrow.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Noice. I'd kill to bench 205. I failed a set yesterday at 120 :smith:

Failed my 5th squat set after 2 reps at 115lb. I don't think it's my back because it doesn't feel like I tweaked it at all or anything, but I have a hard time believing it's my legs, because I also hit 2x5 @ 215 deadlifting today which is by far a PR for me :iiam:

VVVV I'm doing Stronglifts so I squat 3x a week and DL either 2x or 1x depending on if it's an ABA or BAB week.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 17, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you do all your legs on the same day? I like splitting them up with something like 5/3/1.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This kid is 19

https://instagram.com/p/BaU4qjKA_d5/

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

dom mazetti could curl that

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Watching his bulge in slow motion was mesmerising

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

Watching his bulge in slow motion was mesmerising

Which bulge :wink:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Homestar Runner posted:

dom mazetti could curl that

I lol'ed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

You Have To Work Out To Get a Workout posted:

Sure, working out can be boring. It can be mindless, and repetitive. Have you seen that Planet Fitness ad, where the big dumb goon says "I lift things up and put them down," over and over, like a big dumb goon? Ha, what a big dumb goon, right? What a mindless, repetitive, boring, lifestyle he has. He just lifts things up and puts them down. What an uncreative, inside-the box workout program he has, that big dumb goon. Just lifting, and putting down. Over and over again.

GUESS WHAT THAT'S WHY HE'S A loving MONSTER.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
We don't cater people who want to get strong, we cater to gym selfies and stringlets and hush hush not-too-much-hard-work cuckery.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im the guy doing hamstring curls

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

loving loooooool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

my office building just opened a decent gym for tenants and it's actually pretty dope being able to lift during the day. i know what I'll be doing for lunch every day now

for the last few years I've only lifted in my garage so i have to remember what lifting around other humans is like. i forgot about the animal impulse to lift heavy to show dominance over others who may be watching. plus the added fear of publicly failing a lift is good for an adrenaline boost