Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lupin being a werewolf wasn't even supposed to be a twist, the characters figure it out halfway through the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I saw Fantastic Beasts for the first time a week ago and yeah, it does lean heavy into that doesn't it? The most unbelievable thing in that film was a woman of color, being the president of all magic or whatever the gently caress in the US, being a social conservative. Unless the characterization in the book was different.

I think they said there are five more films planned. Yep.

Might wanna sit down for this...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Avalerion posted:

Lupin being a werewolf wasn't even supposed to be a twist, the characters figure it out halfway through the story.

And of course, he's a fakeout for the large dog of death stalking Harry.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Black people in America historically have been fairly conservative.

It wasn't until the conservative movement just started an out right war on us attacking our voting rights that that changed.

Like even to this day listen to some old heads talk about taxes and social issues and it's p much the GOP platform.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dexo posted:

It wasn't until the conservative movement just started an out right war on us attacking our voting rights that that changed.

Like even to this day listen to some old heads talk about taxes and social issues and it's p much the GOP platform.
I remember reading something about how the drive to get black people and Latinos registered and out to vote in California in 2008 gave Obama a healthy margin but also contributed to the success of Prop 8 (eliminating the right of same-sex couples to marry).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I know a guy who was diagnosed with Lupus. At what point do I start worrying about the full moon?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just remembered the 1994 movie Wolf with Jack Nicholson, James Spader, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I remember reading something about how the drive to get black people and Latinos registered and out to vote in California in 2008 gave Obama a healthy margin but also contributed to the success of Prop 8 (eliminating the right of same-sex couples to marry).

Yeah, there's a strong overlap between the Latinx population and conservative Catholicism.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FYGM-ism isn't limited to white folks. The black and latinx community were more than happy to vote to curtail the rights of LGBT people. Muslims where strong GOP voters as well before 9/11 too, which just goes to show that religion breeds intolerant assholes equally.
Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the LGBT community has its own issues with racism and transphobia.

Basically, whenever religion or white people have a heavy influence, you get intolerance and bigotry as a result. Forcing white people to live in ethnically mixed areas and outlawing religion would resolve both problems!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

love to read the comic book thread, that's where I get all my opinions vis a vis outlawing religion

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

FYGM-ism isn't limited to white folks. The black and latinx community were more than happy to vote to curtail the rights of LGBT people. Muslims where strong GOP voters as well before 9/11 too, which just goes to show that religion breeds intolerant assholes equally.
Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the LGBT community has its own issues with racism and transphobia.

Basically, whenever religion or white people have a heavy influence, you get intolerance and bigotry as a result. Forcing white people to live in ethnically mixed areas and outlawing religion would resolve both problems!

If you're having to cook the books this much to get your pov accepted maybe it's time to admit you're just a dirty sinner who should be ashamed of themselves (it's kinkier that way anyway).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

well why not posted:

love to read the comic book thread, that's where I get all my opinions vis a vis outlawing religion

Yeah, let's have a trailer, instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dooope

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On the note of Harry Potter pun names, there are grown adults who didnt realize that Diagon Alley is a pun until it was pointed out to them so putting something in Latin is genuinely an uncrackable code for the vast majority of the audience.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barudak posted:

On the note of Harry Potter pun names, there are grown adults who didnt realize that Diagon Alley is a pun until it was pointed out to them so putting something in Latin is genuinely an uncrackable code for the vast majority of the audience.

If they didn't get it after the first book there's a part in the second where they basically explicitly call it out because Harry pronounces it wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is gonna be loving rad, goddddamn

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Avalerion posted:

This is fair. I only watched about 20 minutes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This looks really good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies a lot but God, please, let it die

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I imagine at this point HP is here to stay in the way that Lord of the Rings or the Narnia books have never really died (although they obviously aren't juggernauts in the social sphere like HP was last decade). It's a kid staple at this point probably.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't wanna triviliaze the horrible stuff the USSR did, but when you look at a list of what it was up to in the 80s and compare that to the US...

Dexo posted:

hot take Monday

I am so excited about BP. The production alone looks amazing. Looked like Nairobi crossed Tokyo there

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Electromax posted:

I imagine at this point HP is here to stay in the way that Lord of the Rings or the Narnia books have never really died (although they obviously aren't juggernauts in the social sphere like HP was last decade). It's a kid staple at this point probably.

I've been saying for years that it's the Star Wars of the generation of kids who grew up with it. It's not going away. Eventually, Rowling will either get more lax with the copyright or die, and we'll probably even get an EU.

Talking to the daughter of a cousin who visited a couple months ago proved this to me. She's a freshman in high school and a total Harry Potter nut. She knows that poo poo the way I know Star Wars. Like, I've read each book and seen each movie a bunch of times, and thought I knew a lot about it. But she was schooling me on Potter trivia.

Good for them, honestly. They might as well have a thing.

I think Patton Oswalt has a bit on this with his daughter too, but I can't find it at the moment.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Harry Potter is not a comic book movie

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe it should be.

Maybe it should be.

JK Rowling would never go for it though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

First it needs a comic book to qualify.

Grant Morrison & Dave McKean Present: Azkaban Asylum

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

Hail ghost rider

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A monthly comic book series would actually be pretty good at getting across the "school life" feel that the books were so good at and the movies so bad at.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But bad at encouraging children to read traditional books

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harry Potter would make a ton of sense as an animated series. ...or worse, an anime. Wouldn't be the first Western fantasy series that got an anime adaptation, oddly enough. (Deltora Quest)

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But bad at encouraging children to read traditional books

Hey now, some of them read Harry Potter AND The Hunger Games!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I did hear that DC approached her to make it into an ongoing comic. She rejected it. Which is a shame, cause that would have been a boon for DC. It could have been their Star Wars.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The background detail and such looks good in that trailer but I think the action looks really dire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UmOk posted:

I know a guy who was diagnosed with Lupus. At what point do I start worrying about the full moon?

It's called Lupus because medieval doctors thought the lesions looked like the bite of a wolf.

What more do you want from dudes who treated the plague with rose hips and other nice smelling things.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's called Lupus because medieval doctors thought the lesions looked like the bite of a wolf.

What more do you want from dudes who treated the plague with rose hips and other nice smelling things.

It's a pretty cool name tbh.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gyges posted:

The best is that they couldn't even come up with a new word. Not "wolf's bite disease" or "wolf affliction" or "wolfitis". Just straight up "looks like you got a bad case of wolf."

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The Black Panther trailer music choices have been A+ so far. I hope this carries over into the soundtrack and we dont just get generic Marvel Score.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

The Black Panther trailer music choices have been A+ so far. I hope this carries over into the soundtrack and we dont just get generic Marvel Score.

The song is cool, but it does seem weird to use a mashup promoting revolutionary behavior when the person attempting a revolution in the movie is the villain. Well, not weird, given Marvel, but a disconnect.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Black Panther trailer was dope. Love the art style and the costuming remains the best I've seen in a Marvel movie. I also like how you can see the progress they've made on the CGI in that scene where BP flips onto a car. It looked real lovely in the first trailer but here it looked... passable. It's always interesting to see how that stuff gets cleaned up and improved.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

The song is cool, but it does seem weird to use a mashup promoting revolutionary behavior when the person attempting a revolution in the movie is the villain. Well, not weird, given Marvel, but a disconnect.

They mean it in the sense of ‘the iPod revolution’.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They mean it in the sense of ‘the iPod revolution’.

No doubt. Just seems a bit disrespectful to Gil Scott-Heron to use it in support of a monarch fighting to maintain the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF6x7g5ZfwM

Vince Staples is good

• Locked thread