Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Yep, CovertMuffin's back on the docket.

Everyone should check out his Outcast Run, his happiness is contagious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The shooting in Destiny feels just like the shooting in Halo - "large" and "floaty" which to me, is just unsatisfying. Probably because I grew up playing games like UT, HL, CS, NS etc that have pinpoint moving and shooting mechanics.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Futuresight posted:

What's crappy about Destiny shooting? Just about all you hear from Destiny fans is that the shooting is amazing. It's like the one thing everyone seemed to agree on even if they hated Destiny overall.

Legit curious.

Enemies have too much health and the guns are incredibly samey and the enemies have essentially no hit reactions. There's no feedback when hitting something. It's Borderlands/Halo gunplay. It's adequate. Not offensively bad, but just mediocre.
Maybe it's less bad on a gamepad, but why would you ever do that for shooter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The shooting in Destiny feels just like the shooting in Halo - "large" and "floaty" which to me

This except the movement and jumping. The shooting felt fine. Adequate, I guess.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Gearbox lifted a lot of things for the Borderlands series...

Including the ending to their own expansion packs. In Opposing force you fight a tentacle beast trying to come out of an interdimensional portal at the end of the game. In Borderlands you fight a tentacle beast trying to come out of an interdimensional portal at the end of the game.

EDIT: not sure if I should add spoiler tags or not, figured better safe than sorry.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it going to be run by that guy who did Outcast last year, i.e. The Happiest Gamer I've Ever Seen?

I think he may be my new favorite GDQ speedrunner. This Outcast run is amazing and he's so infectiously happy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I missed that Outcast run and I'm watching it right now. That guy has something that makes me relax and listen. He really likes to play these games.

Edit: Adding some video popped today about Doom 2016 on the Switch.

Guillermus posted:

One cannot just get enough of Hugo Martin and Marty Stratton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2GO2ONz3s

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 16, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So Dusk looks pretty neat. I tried to Google the release date for the full game, but can't find one? Could have sworn I looked earlier and it said end of October but now everything just says "soon" (haha :jerkbag:)

Also, will it support custom maps?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I know this is the fps thread but I have the itch for some mechwarrior action. is there a guide out there to get them going on windows 10 somebody can reccomend?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So Dusk looks pretty neat. I tried to Google the release date for the full game, but can't find one? Could have sworn I looked earlier and it said end of October but now everything just says "soon" (haha :jerkbag:)

Also, will it support custom maps?

The date was a placeholder from the start, but the dev said it will release sometime this year.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

And the plan is to support custom maps at some point (in Quake BSP format I think?), yes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Casual Encountess posted:

I know this is the fps thread but I have the itch for some mechwarrior action. is there a guide out there to get them going on windows 10 somebody can reccomend?
MW4 works on Win10 pretty much right out the box, I think. I don't think its :filez: to post the Mektek version since it was released for free a while back and the site no longer exists. http://www.moddb.com/games/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries/downloads/mw4-mercs-mektek

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Blattdorf posted:

The date was a placeholder from the start, but the dev said it will release sometime this year.

Shadow Hog posted:

And the plan is to support custom maps at some point (in Quake BSP format I think?), yes.

Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna take the plunge and just buy it. The praise from you guys caught my eye, and I'm totally digging the Halloween/Late Fall aesthetic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Good call! If the rest of the game lives up to episode 1, it's going to be one of the best $20 you can spend on an FPS for awhile.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just played the first 2 levels of the game, and I'm really liking it. Your dude absolutely loving flies while moving...it feels even faster than Quake (which I'm also playing through for the first time right now!).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

In a time of confusion and paranoia, there is only one constant: Videogame Shotguns Being Sick As gently caress.

Hell yeah! :hfive:

Shotguns are really some of the best things about shooters.

The Kins posted:

Cubeface knows what he's doing, he and Draqu had a little two-man community going for a while, trading records... I want to say that came to an end when Cubeface remembered that Kingpin was a thing and they moved onto that, but I'm not sure if that was before or after Blood 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zeYPHx_9c

Ophelia is faster, both physically and because she doesn't have any cutscenes because Blood 2 was a finished product.

Last time I saw him running the game was with Caleb but that was when he was getting to grips with everything. I don't see anyone other than Ophelia being a choice for runs.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
We pushed out a new beta update to Turok 2 on Steam (surprise?). Namely it allows skipping hub intro cinematics, due to requests from the speedrunning community (as it's being run in AGDQ).

quote:

Renderer / Graphics
====================
* Fixed issue where alt-tabbing in DirectX fullscreen mode could become stuck switching back to desktop
* Shadow maps are now disabled if uniform buffers are not supported or disabled in OpenGL

Single-Player Gameplay
======================
* Hub intro cinematics can now be skipped
* Primagen's head model is no longer fullbright during the intro cinematic

User Interface
==============
* Violence option implemented that toggles either red or green blood, or disables gore effects

Audio
====================
* Music now dynamically reduces volume during cinematics

If you avoid betas like the plague, we'll be pushing 1.5.7 into the main branch in about a week or so.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Hell yeah! :hfive:

Shotguns are really some of the best things about shooters.

Honestly, I'm pretty over shotguns, although the D4T shotty is pleasingly meaty. I like the weird weapons that do something more interesting (mechanically or even just thematically) than "bits of metal come out moving really fast".

That was one of the things I really liked about Half-Life (and found really disappointing in Half-Life 2) -- the weapon variety.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Some rad weapons on the Half-Life engine are Castor Troy's colt 1911s in Action Half-Life, John Woo decreed it so. Excellent boomstick handcannon in that as well. Creative weapons are also good, but I do demand a good shotgun. Akimbo pistols are the coolest of cool though, they need to be more prevalent in games these days. Even the Tomb Raider does not have them! Though she does in that new movie trailer.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 17, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Some rad weapons on the Half-Life engine are Castor Troy's colt 1911s in Action Half-Life, John Woo decreed it so. Excellent boomstick handcannon in that as well. Creative weapons are also good, but I do demand a good shotgun. Akimbo pistols are the coolest of cool though, they need to be more prevalent in games these days. Even the Tomb Raider does not have them! Though she does in that new movie trailer.

I don’t know about Rise of the Tomb Raider but the first reboot one gave you akimbo pistols. They were a matched set your mentor had, and you got one midway through the game as a significant power up. At the climax you got the other for a “hell yeah” crowning moment of victory. Very well done.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arivia posted:

I don’t know about Rise of the Tomb Raider but the first reboot one gave you akimbo pistols. They were a matched set your mentor had, and you got one midway through the game as a significant power up. At the climax you got the other for a “hell yeah” crowning moment of victory. Very well done.

I enjoyed that moment as well, but indeed Rise of the Tomb Raider features a Tomb Raider who never uses akimbo pistols in the game. A travesty.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 17, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Some rad weapons on the Half-Life engine are Castor Troy's colt 1911s in Action Half-Life, John Woo decreed it so. Excellent boomstick handcannon in that as well. Creative weapons are also good, but I do demand a good shotgun.

Akimbo pistols are weaksauce, akimbo sawn-off shotguns are where it's at. :marathon-flag-with-crying-Pfhor:

Also, even the meatiest 1911 can't really measure up to:
- A bucket of exploding alien weasels
- An experimental energy weapon that lets you pick between "rapid fire hitscan" and "goes through walls, destroys everything"
- A fish that spits exploding acid grenades
- A bug that shoots lightning, and if you find another one, they'll fight to the death to see who gets to keep you
- A gun that shoots teleporters

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Ravens Wolfenstein had some great guns, including a wobbly particle beam cannon that turned nazis into glowy skeletons. And it's equivalent of the BFG which was a wall-piercing giant moving blob of insta-death.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

:negative: I was really hyped about Dusk coming out in just a couple weeks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToxicFrog posted:

Akimbo pistols are weaksauce, akimbo drum-fed autoshotguns from Wolfenstein are where it's at.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I never liked akimbo in the new Wolfenstein because I felt like I was constantly short on ammo and couldn't spare it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pope Guilty posted:

I never liked akimbo in the new Wolfenstein because I felt like I was constantly short on ammo and couldn't spare it.

I found that while I was constantly low on ammo, there was always some more around the corner so gently caress it.

Almost done with episode 1 of dusk. It's great! Can't wait for the full game!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I've been rummaging around in the D4T source code, and I found the table of completionist rewards (awarded when you get 100% kills and secrets in a level). Each one has a minimum level it can be awarded at, and you can only get one per level.

The bit that baffles me is that there's 99 levels of rewards defined, ranging from "max health +10" (which you can get on the first level) to "gives you an item that you can activate to warp to the next secret level" (at level 99). But as far as I know Doom2 WADs can only contain 32 maps. So how are you expected to get to the higher levels? Are there some kind of shenanigans where you can play through a WAD and then jump from MAP32 of that WAD to MAP01 of another WAD? Am I wrong about the limits and people have published 100-level megaWADs?

DatonKallandor posted:

Ravens Wolfenstein had some great guns, including a wobbly particle beam cannon that turned nazis into glowy skeletons. And it's equivalent of the BFG which was a wall-piercing giant moving blob of insta-death.

Wolf09 had some great guns, and the particle beam was probably my favourite. :hellyeah:

I have no idea how they went from that to Singularity, but to my mind Wolf09 is the best game Raven ever made.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if D4T did allow you to carry progress across multiple level WADs, since I've heard of other mods doing that. You're right though - WADs don't need to be 32 levels only in source ports (probably anything Boom-compatible?) The infamous Chillax is 47 maps, for example.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm sure there's some terriblecontestohfuckweareinsofaroverourheads.wad out there where that would come up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, like DUMP. :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Arivia posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if D4T did allow you to carry progress across multiple level WADs, since I've heard of other mods doing that. You're right though - WADs don't need to be 32 levels only in source ports (probably anything Boom-compatible?) The infamous Chillax is 47 maps, for example.
Technically anything Boom-compatible that supports UMAPINFO, but it doesn't look like UMAPINFO's taking off at the moment - at any rate, I seem to be the only one interested in doing anything with it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ToxicFrog posted:

Wolf09 had some great guns, and the particle beam was probably my favourite. :hellyeah:

I have no idea how they went from that to Singularity, but to my mind Wolf09 is the best game Raven ever made.

Wolfenstein 09 was the best guns+magic game since Undying. Every time I play it, I find a new combination to favor.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How about Jackie the Cool Guy in Darkness 1 and 2, he had magicy stuff and akimbo guns like a cool guy is supposed to have.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I found that while I was constantly low on ammo, there was always some more around the corner so gently caress it.

Almost done with episode 1 of dusk. It's great! Can't wait for the full game!

A big part of good level design for me is how secrets are tackled. Dusk delivers in spades.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

We pushed out a new beta update to Turok 2 on Steam (surprise?). Namely it allows skipping hub intro cinematics, due to requests from the speedrunning community (as it's being run in AGDQ).

If you avoid betas like the plague, we'll be pushing 1.5.7 into the main branch in about a week or so.

Really appreciate you guys still working on this, glad it's been successful! Do you know how long until we might hear about your next project?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Really appreciate you guys still working on this, glad it's been successful! Do you know how long until we might hear about your next project?

This is deceptive questioning! Who told you we are working on anything? Who sent you? :ninja:

Couldn't tell you at this stage (mind you, I probably can't until anything is actually announced). We dragged Quasar on full time (he was originally part time) so we can do larger projects and smaller ones simultaneously, so keep that in mind.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turok 3 would be cool if only because it never got a proper PC release at all and it was pretty ambitious in it's own way, hobbled by the hardware it was running on.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Technically anything Boom-compatible that supports UMAPINFO, but it doesn't look like UMAPINFO's taking off at the moment - at any rate, I seem to be the only one interested in doing anything with it.

You have to convince Eternal to make a map pack that requires it. Then it'll be supported by PrBoom+ and finally be more than one of the countless standard project that doesn't actually become a standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

How about Jackie the Cool Guy in Darkness 1 and 2, he had magicy stuff and akimbo guns like a cool guy is supposed to have.

The Darkness 1 was cool, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of 2 on PC, and Co-op was drat fun too.